PDA

View Full Version : UNI Football not going anywhere...

nmatsen
September 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Just wanted to share with everyone that today's board of regents meeting approved funding for UNI's athletic programs. The one thing that was mentioned however is that in 2013, in an effort to work towards self fuding, UNI will be playing two BCS caliber opponents regionally. I am going to assume that one of them will be Iowa / Iowa State and then we might make a push for one of the big ten / big twelve schools.

GeauxLions94
September 16th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Nice move UNI BOR! xthumbsupx ... make that second BCS game with Nebraska

PantherRob82
September 16th, 2010, 05:55 PM
The AD's goal is to play Iowa and Iowa State every year. If we can't get them I'd like to see Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Northwestern, Michigan, Notre Dame or Indiana. MAC schools would be more winable.

darell1976
September 16th, 2010, 06:00 PM
The AD's goal is to play Iowa and Iowa State every year. If we can't get them I'd like to see Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Northwestern, Michigan, Notre Dame or Indiana. MAC schools would be more winable.

After this season I think they will stay away from FCS teams.xlolx

UNH Fanboi
September 16th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Is the extra money worth the decreased playoff chances?

ValleyChamp
September 16th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Notre Dame does not play FCS schools.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 16th, 2010, 06:23 PM

Things are changing....we may see more and more teams HAVE to play a second FBS game for budget reasons.
With the playoffs expanding to 20 teams (will it stop there?) 7-4 will be common in the playoffs.

UNI Pike
September 16th, 2010, 06:43 PM

Unless someone finds oil underneath the campus, there really is not a choice. Up until the 1970s almost all of alumni were teachers/academics. Not many lawyers doctors, CEOs that could endow scholarships. That is beginning to change, but it will be a 20 year process at the soonest.

PantherRob82
September 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM

Schedule a lower FCS team, one loss in conference leaves you at 8-3. Might be able to win one of the FBS games.

UNIFanSince1983
September 16th, 2010, 11:17 PM
If we get Iowa State every year that is a chance at a winnable one every year. Of course if we get two I think getting a MAC team like NIU or something would be winnable, and I really hope one of these would be Western Kentucky :)

But it is great news to hear the BOR approved funding. They had to realize that without athletics the University would probably collapse altogether. Some of the professors seem to think otherwise, but I guarantee enrollment was up because of basketball success not due to students hearing something great about our academics. Don't get me wrong the academics are pretty good, but there is nothing making students line up to go to UNI.

3rd Coast Tiger
September 17th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Things are changing....we may see more and more teams HAVE to play a second FBS game for budget reasons.

xreadx

DOME
September 17th, 2010, 08:40 AM
If we get Iowa State every year that is a chance at a winnable one every year. Of course if we get two I think getting a MAC team like NIU or something would be winnable, and I really hope one of these would be Western Kentucky :)

But it is great news to hear the BOR approved funding. They had to realize that without athletics the University would probably collapse altogether. Some of the professors seem to think otherwise, but I guarantee enrollment was up because of basketball success not due to students hearing something great about our academics. Don't get me wrong the academics are pretty good, but there is nothing making students line up to go to UNI.

Pretty sure UNI consistently has one of the highest first time pass-rate for the CPA exam. Pretty sure UNI has the best Sales program in the state.

Also, the University reported a 40% spike in new student inquiries following the sweet 16 bball apperance.

Also UNI reported a record high enrollment for the third straight year.

Also I convinced my company to skip the Iowa career fair in order to attend the UNI career fair next week.

UNIFanSince1983
September 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Pretty sure UNI consistently has one of the highest first time pass-rate for the CPA exam. Pretty sure UNI has the best Sales program in the state.

Also, the University reported a 40% spike in new student inquiries following the sweet 16 bball apperance.

Also UNI reported a record high enrollment for the third straight year.

Also I convinced my company to skip the Iowa career fair in order to attend the UNI career fair next week.

So I don't get it. Are you saying kids are lining up because of our academics or because of the Sweet Sixteen because you seem to be saying both. I understand how good our accounting program is, and how good the academics are. As per the fact I am working on my second degree here at UNI, but I just know without athletics the enrollment would plummet. And without funding from the general fund we would have to cut football. Personally I think closing NU High is the best option for the school to save about 5 million annually, but that is a different discussion.