PDA

View Full Version : I started a fight with the Band...........

Rekdiver
September 16th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I told our Band that I'd like to see a little more oomph and a little less concert style performances. This is response to ASU's 1st attempt at NFL/NBA canned music and I want the band to high step it with some attitude. Am I wrong? What would you rather watch....SC State, NCCU or a traditional marching band?

Just asking casue the band is beating me up.

EmeryZach
September 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I agree. UMass always played concert style music, with the percussion group in full tuxedo's on the field and a singer. Yawn.

I always wished they would play some really fun stuff like the HBCU's. The HBCU's have the best bands in the country, no one even comes close.

soccerguy315
September 16th, 2010, 03:07 PM
the UMass band is one of the best in the country... just fyi, since you appear to be unappreciative.

just to edit: this is a style issue, so obviously people will be on both sides here. What the OP calls "attitude" others would call "lack of uniformity, posture, and execution"

Dignan
September 16th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I agree. UMass always played concert style music, with the percussion group in full tuxedo's on the field and a singer. Yawn.

I always wished they would play some really fun stuff like the HBCU's. The HBCU's have the best bands in the country, no one even comes close.

Uh, well there's definitely a middle ground between tuxedos and opera singers and high stepping with a lower emphasis on musical accuracy. I'm not saying any of these styles is better than the other (although I do have my own personal preference), but it sounds like you're comparing two extremes.

And by the way, from what I've heard UMass does have a great band.

Retro
September 16th, 2010, 03:18 PM

If you like style over substance! Sure, they dance and jump and high step better than the royal guard, but musically, they aren't usually as good because they focus on the marching/dancing part more.. Nothing wrong with that, but i want to hear a band play something accurately with the true band sound, hitting the right notes and keys regardless of what generation it's from. When the grambling band played in lake charles their own announcer talked through half of their performance bragging about all the places they have played, so you missed half the show, at least the music part...

3rd Coast Tiger
September 16th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Hahaha!

TTUEagles
September 16th, 2010, 07:28 PM
If it makes you feel any better, at one game last year: TTU's band did a tribute to Tchaikovsky...I kid you not. Pathetic (for a college football game)

BlueHenSinfonian
September 16th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Different bands have different traditions. The HBCU's have held on to a lot of old school tradition, their style of marching included. Most high school marching bands these days don't do the high step thing, they do a drum corps style that is similar to what you see UMass, UD, JMU, etc, put on the field. Since the marching band is used not only for football games, but as a recruitment tool for the university and for the music department, you see most universities these days going to the style of marching and shows that most high schools put on. Plus, since the students coming in are already familiar with that style, it makes things easier to get up and running before the first show.

There are some very good bands in the CAA, UMass, Delaware, and JMU are all over 300 people, maintain a very high standard of musicality, and have been invited to do exhibition performances across the nation. Westchester, for what they might lack in football prowess, has a pretty kickass band too.

UMass has a nice selection of stuff on YouTube, but for some reason all I can find from UD is stuff from the 80s.

VUCats02
September 16th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Nova's band is horrific. They were non existent at the N.C. game last year and didn't even go to Temple this year or last year :-/

Skjellyfetti
September 16th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I told our Band that I'd like to see a little more oomph and a little less concert style performances. This is response to ASU's 1st attempt at NFL/NBA canned music and I want the band to high step it with some attitude. Am I wrong? What would you rather watch....SC State, NCCU or a traditional marching band?

I'd much rather have an SC State/FAMU or even a Princeton type band during the game. Our band is, honestly, fairly boring. "Hi Hi Yikas", "Get Up Offa That Thing" and "Bugler's Paradise" are the only things I really enjoy that much during the game.

concert-style is fine for post-game, though. I LOVE our band's version of Tennessee Waltz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT-Vuh52W18

james_lawfirm
September 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Rek:

I have two comments to your post. 1) I hated the canned music too, but I think the powers that be will get it straightened out. 2) You don't watch bands, you listen to them. The problem with SC State's band that I recall was, their arrangements were EXTREMELY simple musically. They may have danced & looked good, but their sound was no where near the quality of what the BOD can do. I got the distinct impression that some of the SC State band could not read music. Now, if one told the BOD to dance more, it would be at the sacrifice of the more intricate arrangements that we get every home game.

I really don't think the appearance of canned music should impact the BOD negatively. We just need to figure out what works best for us. I'll give them another chance to get it straightened out.

ElonPride
September 16th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I'd much rather have an SC State/FAMU or even a Princeton type band during the game. Our band is, honestly, fairly boring. "Hi Hi Yikas", "Get Up Offa That Thing" and "Bugler's Paradise" are the only things I really enjoy that much during the game.

concert-style is fine for post-game, though. I LOVE our band's version of Tennessee Waltz.

ASU's band has always sounded very clean and so much more than you expect out of typical marching bands in I-AA/FCS. I remember being really impressed back in middle school at a Wake/ASU game watching YOUR band. Though high stepping, tons of brass etc is always a selling point.......take pride in your band! They're good and one of the best in North Carolina!

I played trombone for years and was a two time all-state musician. I LOVED my marching band from high school. Some on this board may remember them......"THE PRIDE OF THE PIEDMONT! TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY MEMBERS STRONG! HERE IS YOUR HIGH POINT CENTRAL MARCHING BAND!" We did a little of the high stepping AND concert style performances. Maybe there's a good mix for your band. BTW, I haven't been to a High Point Central game in years, but I hear the band that used to be a huge selling point, is now only about 20 members xsmhx

But man, there are bigger complaints you need to address before you bash your own, top notch marching band. Please.....

bjtheflamesfan
September 16th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I prefer corps style personally but bjtheflamesfan can weigh in on the major change in music he's seen this fall on the mountain.

TylerUCA
September 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM
This is my band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7s8HOatnLw

GO BEARS!

bjtheflamesfan
September 16th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks...LU hasnt really had a ton of really upbeat music but this year the show is a little old school, a little modern top 40 and some classical too...lookin forward to showin it off to the folks up at JMU on the 25th...btw too bad about the monsoon last year Dignan...I hope none of the MRD were too sick after that one

WileECoyote06
September 16th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I hope you enjoy them this weekend App fans! We need your support to go to the Rose Bowl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzlhMLZfY84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESUkOmJQWzY

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM
DON'T NEED NO SYMPHONY...SNOOZEFEST.....GIMME....BLOOD PUMPIN' R 'N R/HBCU....FUNK.....JES' WATCHED UH HALF O'....KILLER HITS..AN' SUCH.......TAILGATIN' FO' HOURS....WHO WANTS TA PARTY TA....HEIDI SARVER'S...ARRANGEMENT O'...."FUGUE IN A MAJOR"..xconfusedx.....xsmhx...BRAWK!

WHAT ARE....TRIANGLES/XYLOPHONES/PICKLE-O'S.........DOIN' ON DUH FIFTY......ANYHOO???????????

COWBELLS/TAMBOURINES/BONGOS/PERCUSSION...........AH WANT SOME........SANTANA!

BlueHenSinfonian
September 16th, 2010, 09:44 PM

That video is a great example of the goosebumps you can get if you're sitting in the sweet spot for a corps style band's show. If you find yourself in a seat between the 20s (or even better, between the 35s) somewhere in the middle 50% height-wise on the stands, a UMass/UD/JMU/App State/Westchester/etc style band will create a wall of sound that none of the high stepping Big 10/HBCU style bands can touch.

Most bands will do at least a couple different shows throughout the year as well, and try to balance the material to keep everyone happy to a degree, but in any compromise, there is some give and take. At UD we would usually have something more orchestral/concert in nature that was musically challenging to take around on the high school exhibition tour, something rock/funk/blues/latin/etc to get the crowds moving, and something Sousa/patriotic to keep the old timers happy.

TheValleyRaider
September 16th, 2010, 09:45 PM

Well, you might as well have asked Jerry Moore to start running the Power-I xlolx

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2010, 09:58 PM
DELAWARE STADIUM....IS FILLED WHIFF PECKERHEADS....ON BOTH SIDES O' DUH FIELD....NUFFIN' WORSE....DAN WHEN DUH BRASS SECTION...FACES.....AWAY FROM YER SIDE.......MAKES YA THINK YER...EAR-BUDS.....ARE ON MUTE!

BlueHenSinfonian
September 16th, 2010, 10:16 PM
DELAWARE STADIUM....IS FILLED WHIFF PECKERHEADS....ON BOTH SIDES O' DUH FIELD....NUFFIN' WORSE....DAN WHEN DUH BRASS SECTION...FACES.....AWAY FROM YER SIDE.......MAKES YA THINK YER...EAR-BUDS.....ARE ON MUTE!

Yeah, but what can you do? I know we used to do at least a couple shows a year facing the other stands for the season ticket holders who couldn't get seats on the home side. I haven't been able to make it back up to DE in a few years, do you still get the brass players running up and down all the stairs between sections doing first down and Bozo during the third quarter?

Smitty
September 16th, 2010, 10:22 PM
You know the one thing I can say is that we don't have much of a football team but have one hell of a band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZYFD_dIZ0o

JaxSinfonian
September 16th, 2010, 10:31 PM
If it makes you feel any better, at one game last year: TTU's band did a tribute to Tchaikovsky...I kid you not. Pathetic (for a college football game)

That's only pathetic if your band's not good enough to pull it off.

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for ... the Jacksonville State University Marching Southerners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KggSZLL34w4

Put me down as in support of a diversity of styles. Everybody oughta do their own thing, but be striving to do it as best as best as it can be done. Kick its tail, and the crowd will notice, no matter what it is.

Smitty
September 17th, 2010, 08:26 AM
It is interesting how they are using the carry sousaphones (bah brass instrument names). How far in the season is that performance?

MR. CHICKEN
September 17th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Yeah, but what can you do? I know we used to do at least a couple shows a year facing the other stands for the season ticket holders who couldn't get seats on the home side. I haven't been able to make it back up to DE in a few years, do you still get the brass players running up and down all the stairs between sections doing first down and Bozo during the third quarter?

YEAH...UH VERAH COOL TRADITION.......TUBAS USED TA.......NOW DUH TROMBONES.....CARRY IT ON........xnodx....AWK!

Uncle Buck
September 17th, 2010, 08:46 AM
We never had a marching and at Hofstra, hell, now we don't even have a team. They used a small pep band that played the same music for at least the 20 years i have been associated with the program. The one thing i will say though, hi stepping band or not, a band makes college football that much better.

As for me, i love the drums, give me loud drums firing away and it's music to my ears.

JoshUCA
September 17th, 2010, 08:55 AM
This is my band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7s8HOatnLw

GO BEARS!

I love me some UCA BMB! I think this is one of my favorite halftime shows I've seen UCA perform:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PqTYao7CFs

WestCoastAggie
September 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Here is the 2010 edition of the NC A&T Blue & Gold Marching Machine xhurrayx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OuzbdNdgNo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=399Wlt10b5E

xsmileyclapx

Cadbury20J
September 17th, 2010, 09:17 AM
It is interesting how they are using the carry sousaphones (bah brass instrument names). How far in the season is that performance?Their not sousaphones. Their called Conn, 20-J's. It's a recording bass instrument that Conn stopped making in the 60's. We're the only college that uses them. xnodx

This performance was the Post-Game of the UTC game last week.

And to add to the discussion. I'm all for diversity musically, but you have to know where to draw the line. There are things that HBCU's can do, that Corps style can't and vice versa. Jacksonville State focuses on the competitive aspect (DCI). The reason why people in corps style bands give HBCU's (particularly SWAC) such a hard time is because of the lost focus on building musician's as well as sacrificing sound for looks. I love show style when it's done right, but the way many band's the style is rather appalling. Really take notice as to why and how your band does what they do (UMASS, JMU, ect.). There is a reason why these programs stay big and flurish. It's shocking once you realize just how far ahead programs like that really are.

Smitty
September 17th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Ah cool thanks for the info.

It is a shame the Sudler's trophy can be obtained only once though. Some bands should be able to get repeat trophies :)

Cadbury20J
September 17th, 2010, 09:35 AM

That intro sounds a lot like JMU's version of "My Favorite Things"...But, it sound's like their on their way musically on everything else as long as individuals don't stick out.

ElonAlum
September 17th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Man when i was in school our football team sucked so bad that the best part of the season was seeing NC A&Ts band play!! They were the real "fire of the carolinas"!

JSU02
September 17th, 2010, 10:27 AM
It is interesting how they are using the carry sousaphones (bah brass instrument names). How far in the season is that performance?
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
THOSE ARE NOT SOUSAPHONES! SOUSAPHONES ARE THE REASONS SO MANY BANDS SOUND LIKE *****

WestCoastAggie
September 17th, 2010, 10:33 AM
That intro sounds a lot like JMU's version of "My Favorite Things"...But, it sound's like their on their way musically on everything else as long as individuals don't stick out.

I absolutely agree. We still have a long way to go but we are on that path. I would not be surprised if we are invited back to the Honda BOTB in Jan. The last time we were in ATL in 09 for the BOTB, we stole the show.

This show was incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASANcUghCxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-W-V8HzcwA

JSU02
September 17th, 2010, 10:34 AM
as long as individuals don't stick out.
As is SOOO often the case with show bands....

Smitty
September 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
THOSE ARE NOT SOUSAPHONES! SOUSAPHONES ARE THE REASONS SO MANY BANDS SOUND LIKE *****

Hey now, I am a woodwind person, I have no idea what those brass instrument monstrosities are.

Dukes_Bando
September 18th, 2010, 02:38 PM

well.. considering the arrangement is by Robert W. Smith, and he was a Professor at JMU when he wrote it for JMU... that would explain a lot.

Cadbury20J
September 18th, 2010, 07:02 PM
well.. considering the arrangement is by Robert W. Smith, and he was a Professor at JMU when he wrote it for JMU... that would explain a lot.So, Robert W. Smith being a professor at JMU explains the fact that NC A&T is playing that exact version....Good to know. xlolx

Big Dawg
September 18th, 2010, 08:39 PM
If you like style over substance! Sure, they dance and jump and high step better than the royal guard, but musically, they aren't usually as good because they focus on the marching/dancing part more.. Nothing wrong with that, but i want to hear a band play something accurately with the true band sound, hitting the right notes and keys regardless of what generation it's from. When the grambling band played in lake charles their own announcer talked through half of their performance bragging about all the places they have played, so you missed half the show, at least the music part...

No true at all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpEgooHJTiY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8rvByDMreM

Rekdiver
September 20th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Okay all you symphonic, marching band style fans......I couldn't go to the NCCU ASU game but I asked my friends how the NCCU band performed? 'Awesome" was a universal response. "Did our fans stay for the Band of Distinction" I asked? The answer was "No, everyone left." Lastly I was told the ASU Band only practices twice a week for a total of 2.5 to 3 hours? What do the other bands do for practice?

WestCoastAggie
September 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM
So, Robert W. Smith being a professor at JMU explains the fact that NC A&T is playing that exact version....Good to know. xlolx

xlolx

ToTheLeft
September 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=399Wlt10b5E

xsmileyclapx

That's awesome!

Bands can do all their stances and poses and stuff at competitions. I wanna be entertained, and the HBCU's do that better than anyone. When NCCU came to Lynchburg we got to talk to one of the band managers who said they didn't do half their set since they didn't have time, and told us some of the songs they would have done, made us want to go watch an NCCU home game! A college marching band playing "Swag Surfin'" would be freaking amazing. They did a MJ tribute (since it was not long after his death) and it was very well done in terms of being pleasing to the ear while being fun and entertaining. The LU band isn't bad, just not very entertaining. I am sure they're very talented, but I never went to band camp so I don't know what to look for.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 20th, 2010, 06:48 PM
If you like style over substance! Sure, they dance and jump and high step better than the royal guard, but musically, they aren't usually as good because they focus on the marching/dancing part more.. Nothing wrong with that, but i want to hear a band play something accurately with the true band sound, hitting the right notes and keys regardless of what generation it's from. When the grambling band played in lake charles their own announcer talked through half of their performance bragging about all the places they have played, so you missed half the show, at least the music part...Do you want to compare alumnist from our respective Music programs. You need to stop. :lamo: if you think Mcneese band sounds close to SU's band.

Rekdiver
September 21st, 2010, 12:07 PM
Well my Band people said your Band people (NCCU) were rude. What do you have to say about that?

WileECoyote06
September 21st, 2010, 12:31 PM
Well my Band people said your Band people (NCCU) were rude. What do you have to say about that?

Quite possible. They should email the Director of Bands about their behavior if they were offended. I wasn't at the App game, so I can't say yay or nay. . .