PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 9-18

JALMOND
September 16th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Entering the third week and I am sitting at 15-2, having missed the Montana and the Portland State game from last week. This week, more teams start conference play on their way hopefully to the playoffs. This is where they get tougher. That said, here are this week's Big Sky predictions. All are my opinion only and all are open for discussion. Here they are...

ISU @ UNC--- The Bengals thought they were on to something for the year, then they ran into a buzzsaw at Utah State. The Bears thought this was going to be their year, then they ran into a 4 overtime, nail-biting thriller at Weber State last week. Who is going to bounce back? Who can bounce back? Take the home team...UNC 31, ISU 17.

UM @ EWU---The game everyone is talking about, especially after last week. Last week, the Grizzlies stumbled a bit at Cal Poly while the Eagles beat DII Central Washington, but it was clearly a bit closer than most people expected. Hard to imagine one of these top teams will already have two losses this early in the season (hard to believe it could be Montana)...UM 31, EWU 24.

Drake @ MSU---After the close loss last week at the Pac-10's Washington State, the Bobcats welcome Coach Ash's former team, non-scholly Drake to Bozeman. The Bobcats had Washington State right were they wanted, yet they let the game get away. Now they have to face a lesser opponent (on paper anyway) at home. Visions of Chadron State come to mind, hopfully not to fruition...MSU 45, Drake 10.

PSU @ Oregon---For their reward for the victory last week at UC-Davis, the Vikings get to face FBS's #5 ranked team, Oregon, a team that has been virtually destroying everything in sight. The opportunity for the money to stay in-state meant the Vikings have to play the game. Win or lose, they have to play the game (a loss more likely)...Oregon 51, PSU 12.

WSU @ Sac State---Last week, the Wildcats dispatched an upstart, Northern Colorado, with a 4 overtime thriller at home. The Hornets were quietly putting DII Western Oregon away. This week, the Wildcats get another shot at putting yet another upstart away. This time, it may be a bit difficult with the game on the road and the Hornets actually think they are good...Sac State 30, WSU 28.

I Bleed Purple
September 16th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Out of curiosity, Jal, how do you think the turnover battle will turn out in the WSU/Sac game? I mean an actual number.

wapiti
September 16th, 2010, 10:47 AM
ISU @ UNC--- Idaho State has improved over last year, but there is still work to be done, plus UNC will be at home. ISU 17 UNC 28

UM @ EWU---The game of the week, not only in the Big Sky, but also in the FCS world this weekend. UM made a good comeback at CP, even though it came up short. What cost UM was a few mistakes. Do they get them corrected for this game? EWU played Nevada well, but struggled against a strong D2 team. Will EWU get those struggles worked out? I think EWU was looking ahead to playing UM and may have been practing for UM rather than CW. It pays off. UM 35 EWU 38

Drake @ MSU---I don't see a Chadron state mistake here. MSU will be prepared for Drake. MSU 32 Drake 13

PSU @ Oregon--- Easy pick here. Portland state is going to get Orange flavored pop (Crush). PSU 9 Oregon 62

WSU @ Sac State---Tough pick here. The grills had to use 4 OT's to win at home. I do not have a good feel for Sac State, other than I have heard they have some injury bugs. I see another OT game happening here. WSU 35 Sac State 32

wapiti
September 17th, 2010, 11:34 AM
IBP, do you have any predictions on the games this weekend?

Out of curiosity, Jal, how do you think the turnover battle will turn out in the WSU/Sac game? I mean an actual number.

I Bleed Purple
September 17th, 2010, 01:14 PM
IBP, do you have any predictions on the games this weekend?

EWU close, though I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Montana won.

UNC handidly.

MSU handidly.

Oregon by way too many.

Weber by plenty*.

*if they don't turn the ball over. Weber scored 34 points in regulation against a good defense while turning the ball over 5 times in regulation. Weber also forced zero turnovers, so all the points had to be on long drives, TD drives of 72, 88, 95, and 72. I have yet to see anything of Sac, but history says UNC has a pretty good defense, and if the turnover battle isn't -6 total for Weber, and evens to 0, then I'd say something around 40-21.

hawkssb04
September 17th, 2010, 07:18 PM
UNC, MSU and Oregon should win in blowouts. The other two should be close.

A loss to Cal Poly (who I'm still not convinced is even a top 25 team) shook my confidence in Montana last week. A rocking crowd on hand for the Red Turf might give EWU the edge it needs to finally knock off the Griz.

WSU on the other hand notoriously has a tough time against Sac on the road. However, if Cameron Higgins is on his game (13 tds, 0 interceptions, 305 yards per game and a .69 completion percentage vs. Hornets in three games) the Wildcats should be able to squeeze out a victory.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 18th, 2010, 12:44 AM
14-3 After two weeks. Would have been 15-2 if Rob Ash had called run instead of pass.

Drake 7 @ 37 Montana State

Idaho State 21 @ 35 Northern Colorado

Portland State 9 @ 70 Oregon

Montana 31 @ 34 Eastern Washington

Weber State 33 @ 28 Sacramento State

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2010, 03:23 AM
14-3 After two weeks. Would have been 15-2 if Rob Ash had called run instead of pass.

Correct Pick
Incorrect Pick
Actual Score
(-123) = Difference between predicted and actual point spread
APSE = Average Point Spread Error
__________________________________________________ _

Drake 21 @ 48 Montana State (-3) xthumbsupx

Idaho State 21 @ 35 Northern Colorado (-0) xthumbsupx

Portland State 0 @ 69 Oregon (-8) xeekx

Montana 27 @ 36 Eastern Washington (-6) xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxrotatehx;)

Weber State 17 @ 24 Sacramento State (-12)

__________________________________________________ _

I'm at a loss for words. What a weekend in college football. :nod: For what its worth, which probably isn't much, I was gonna pick Sac against Weber. Then I heard about all the injuries, and decided against it. Looks like me and J split this week at 4-1. At least I picked my team to win. xnodx

This week: 4-1
Last week: 5-3
Overall: 18-4
APSE last week: 12.9 pts.
APSE this week: 5.8 pts.
APSE overall: 11.7 pts.

JALMOND
September 19th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Entering the third week and I am sitting at 15-2, having missed the Montana and the Portland State game from last week. This week, more teams start conference play on their way hopefully to the playoffs. This is where they get tougher. That said, here are this week's Big Sky predictions. All are my opinion only and all are open for discussion. Here they are...

ISU @ UNC--- The Bengals thought they were on to something for the year, then they ran into a buzzsaw at Utah State. The Bears thought this was going to be their year, then they ran into a 4 overtime, nail-biting thriller at Weber State last week. Who is going to bounce back? Who can bounce back? Take the home team...UNC 31, ISU 17.

UM @ EWU---The game everyone is talking about, especially after last week. Last week, the Grizzlies stumbled a bit at Cal Poly while the Eagles beat DII Central Washington, but it was clearly a bit closer than most people expected. Hard to imagine one of these top teams will already have two losses this early in the season (hard to believe it could be Montana)...UM 31, EWU 24.

Drake @ MSU---After the close loss last week at the Pac-10's Washington State, the Bobcats welcome Coach Ash's former team, non-scholly Drake to Bozeman. The Bobcats had Washington State right were they wanted, yet they let the game get away. Now they have to face a lesser opponent (on paper anyway) at home. Visions of Chadron State come to mind, hopfully not to fruition...MSU 45, Drake 10.

PSU @ Oregon---For their reward for the victory last week at UC-Davis, the Vikings get to face FBS's #5 ranked team, Oregon, a team that has been virtually destroying everything in sight. The opportunity for the money to stay in-state meant the Vikings have to play the game. Win or lose, they have to play the game (a loss more likely)...Oregon 51, PSU 12.

WSU @ Sac State---Last week, the Wildcats dispatched an upstart, Northern Colorado, with a 4 overtime thriller at home. The Hornets were quietly putting DII Western Oregon away. This week, the Wildcats get another shot at putting yet another upstart away. This time, it may be a bit difficult with the game on the road and the Hornets actually think they are good...Sac State 30, WSU 28.

4-1 for the week, puts me at 19-3 for the year. 2 of the incorrect picks were on Griz games. Note to self, do not pick the Griz to win anymore.