PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Cross-Over Games

cpstang
September 15th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Should Cal Poly and Montana have an annual divisional cross-over game, ala the Big Ten's OSU vs. Michigan and Penn State vs. Nebraska, to keep the rivalry strong? And if so, what should the other Big Sky Cross-Over games be?

cpalum
September 15th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Should Cal Poly and Montana have an annual divisional cross-over game, ala the Big Ten's OSU vs. Michigan and Penn State vs. Nebraska, to keep the rivalry strong? And if so, what should the other Big Sky Cross-Over games be?

Maybe I am confused, what would they be crossing over?

sikolec
September 15th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I believe "cpstang" means, if/when the Big Sky splits into two divisions (once UC Davis and Cal Poly join). It would be very unlikely that Montana and Cal Poly would be in the same division if this were the case. Therefore, no guarentee that they would have a Big Sky Conference game against each other every year.

cpstang
September 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM
If and when the big sky establishes divisions, perhaps

Northern Division: PSU, EWU, UM, MSU, ISU, and WSU and
Southern Division: CP, UCD, Sac, NAU, UNC, and (to be determined),

should there be, as the SEC has and the Big Ten will have, specific cross-divisional rivals that play each other annaully in a cross-over game?

cpalum
September 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM

should there be, as the SEC has and the Big Ten will have, specific cross-divisional rivals that play each other annaully in a cross-over game?

got it....if that happens then yes absolutley.

cpstang
September 15th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I believe "cpstang" means, if/when the Big Sky splits into two divisions (once UC Davis and Cal Poly join). It would be very unlikely that Montana and Cal Poly would be in the same division if this were the case. Therefore, no guarentee that they would have a Big Sky Conference game against each other every year.

word

jmufan999
September 15th, 2010, 06:00 PM
it's nice for a rivalry.... but it would be retarded for Cal Poly to do that. why schedule the team that is FAR AND AWAY the best team in your conference EVERY year? it would be like Baylor asking to play Texas every year (maybe they're already in the same division, i'm not looking it up). the point is, it's nice for a rivalry... but as far as wins and losses, certainly doesn't make sense on the CP side.

cpstang
September 15th, 2010, 06:09 PM
However, without a championship game, if: Montana wins the "North Division", and CP wins the South, then if both schools are tied on wins, the only way for CP to ensure an auto-bid into the playoffs is if they beat Montana.

Furthermore, I think the fan base for CP is far more interested in have more home big marquee games then locking in one more for sure win. The best case scenario for CP would be if there was an alternation between UC Davis and Montana coming to SLO every year. If well hyped, and put after the start of the quarter, those games would probably sell out consistently. (Especially over a Sac State game, where Cal Poly students can be more apathetic, because we are elitist and see ourselves more as a UC than a CSU.)

slostang
September 15th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I do not see it happening. They are going to have a hard enough time getting everyone to agree on the best way to split the conference into two divisions.

JALMOND
September 16th, 2010, 12:51 AM

The thing is, everyone would want the gate from a Montana game, similar to what the Pac-10 was talking about regarding USC.

As far as the divisions, I'm thinking they would move PSU in with the California schools and move N Colorado to the Montana schools. Called something like the Coastal division and the Mountain division. PSU has already said they would "prefer" to be in with the California teams, keeping a rivalry with Sac State and build upon the UC-Davis game. Also, would like to see former coach Walsh here more often.

I Bleed Purple
September 16th, 2010, 01:31 AM
The thing is, everyone would want the gate from a Montana game, similar to what the Pac-10 was talking about regarding USC.

As far as the divisions, I'm thinking they would move PSU in with the California schools and move N Colorado to the Montana schools. Called something like the Coastal division and the Mountain division. PSU has already said they would "prefer" to be in with the California teams, keeping a rivalry with Sac State and build upon the UC-Davis game. Also, would like to see former coach Walsh here more often.

Here's the problem.

To me, it looks like the best split geographically is going to be 7-5 instead of 6-6.

Teams pretty close together are the following: ISU-UM-MSU-WSU and Poly, Davis, and Sac. NAU should go with the Cali schools, and if SUU joins, so should they. UNC is much better suited for the Montana, Idaho, and Weber division. That's 5 to 5 with PSU and EWU left. Do you want to split up the teams that are natural basketball travel partners? I know it's not that big a deal travel wise, and I guess PSU and EWU could do a comitted rivalry game.

TokyoGriz
September 16th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Im not a big fan of a 12 member conference. I was excited initially about adding both cali teams but soon realized it was going to lead to divisions that wouldnt be a positive in my book.

I would prefer every team in conference play each other then determine a conference champion at least in the FCS level.

th0m
September 16th, 2010, 03:29 AM
However, without a championship game, if: Montana wins the "North Division", and CP wins the South, then if both schools are tied on wins, the only way for CP to ensure an auto-bid into the playoffs is if they beat Montana.

Furthermore, I think the fan base for CP is far more interested in have more home big marquee games then locking in one more for sure win. The best case scenario for CP would be if there was an alternation between UC Davis and Montana coming to SLO every year. If well hyped, and put after the start of the quarter, those games would probably sell out consistently. (Especially over a Sac State game, where Cal Poly students can be more apathetic, because we are elitist and see ourselves more as a UC than a CSU.)

I don't know your conference rules, but if you play Montana as part of your OOC, then I don't see a Montana win counting as a tie-break. Sure they're your conference co-members, but it is not a conference game. I remember Delaware playing Hofstra a couple of years back as an OOC, didn't count toward their conference record (it didn't have any playoff implications as far as I know though). If you have two divisions then I'd assume you have some sort of 3-game crossover anyway. Doesn't seem fair to either to play the same conference member from the other division each year.