PDA

View Full Version : Kennesaw State Football Press Conference Today (9/15/2010) @ 10:30

GA St. MBB Fan
September 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Kennesaw State University President Daniel S. Papp and legendary coach Vince Dooley will announce the findings of KSU’s Football Exploratory Committee at a press conference on Wednesday, September 15, at the KSU Convocation Center.

On December 10, 2009, Papp announced that he had named Dooley to chair the 32-member KSU Football Exploratory Committee. The body was charged with considering the pros and cons of a KSU football program and with making recommendations to the university’s administration. Papp and Dooley will share the committee’s recommendations at the press conference.

http://www.kennesaw.edu/ksufootball/

Apparently it is going to be streamed live at this website:
http://ksutv.kennesaw.edu/

danefan
September 15th, 2010, 08:44 AM
They've got the infrastructure already pretty much in place.

http://www.ksuowls.com/images/2010/6/10/KSUSS_Aerial1.jpg

GA St. MBB Fan
September 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM
http://www.kennesaw.edu/ksufootball/

Apparently it is going to be streamed live at this website:
http://ksutv.kennesaw.edu/

One of their releases says it starts at 10:30 and another of their releases says it starts at 11:30 - so I don't know which one is correct.

GA St. MBB Fan
September 15th, 2010, 08:49 AM
They've got the infrastructure already pretty much in place.

http://www.ksuowls.com/images/2010/6/10/KSUSS_Aerial1.jpg

Yep, the building of that stadium along with the agreement with the Women's Professional Soccer Team was the impetus for starting the campaign for football.

JMUNJ08
September 15th, 2010, 09:54 AM
One of their releases says it starts at 10:30 and another of their releases says it starts at 11:30 - so I don't know which one is correct.

The live feed states 11:30am. Could be a very exciting day!

DFW HOYA
September 15th, 2010, 10:32 AM
From the TV feed: crowd gathering, podium is set background music: "Turn The Page".

If this is all to say "um, no football", they're spending a lot of effort to do so!

GA St. MBB Fan
September 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
From the TV feed: crowd gathering, podium is set background music: "Turn The Page".

If this is all to say "um, no football", they're spending a lot of effort to do so!

Yeah I would think the very fact that they are having a press conference says it is a yes. If it we're a no, then they would just put out a press release in the hopes that no one would notice it and would forget about it.

Is the audio and video off for anyone else, or is that my computer?

GA St. MBB Fan
September 15th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Nevermind, its fixed now.

danefan
September 15th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Pretty good turnout.

I missed it but did they just introduce "Coach Dooley"?

GA St. MBB Fan
September 15th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I missed it but did they just introduce "Coach Dooley"?

Yeah they did, but I wouldn't take it to mean more than out of respect.

danefan
September 15th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Yeah they did, but I wouldn't take it to mean more than out of respect.

haha. I was going to say.

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2010, 10:55 AM
What were the results? Caught in the middle of something and can't turn up the audio.

GA St. MBB Fan
September 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM
What were the results? Caught in the middle of something and can't turn up the audio.

Football will be happening at Kennesaw.

danefan
September 15th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Well essentially the committee recomends it. There is still a bunch of hurdles that need to be cleared that were outlined by the President, including $$$$, student approval and finding a conference to play in. All of which aren't exactly "givens."

KSU wants football, but its not at all clear whether they'll be able to do it and when.

SouthernEagle02
September 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Interesting development concerning FCS football. Come 2014 there will be 5 D1 schools in Georgia, 3 within a 25 miles of each other. While I certainly believe Georgia can support 5 D1 schools, the question I have of the 3 FCS schools is, what is their intent? Are they wanting to move to FBS or remain FCS? The other question I have is what, if any, effect will this have on GaSt? By 2014, State’s program will be 4 years old and will have played 1 season in the CAA. I’m curious to hear from the more rational Panther fans as to how they feel about this. True, both schools will attract their own alumni & student bases to games, but what about the lay fan on a Saturday that Tech and UGA are away? Then you have the whole recruiting maze to sort through. (There is an article in today’s AJC talking about Saturday’s GaSt/Jack St game where recruiting is talked about) Removing GT & UGA from the equation and to an extent Southern, who historically has recruited from S. Ga and N. Fl, how will the two programs compete for recruits? While I normally don’t concern myself with other programs successes or failures, I believe that if GaSt has been more or less successful by 2014 then recruiting will be a non issue. If not, well like I said, it could be interesting. Then there is the whole conference thing. The CAA, OVC, & SoCon were all mentioned (Per the MDJ) as possible conferences the Owls could play as each would present a natural rival. My thinking is, the CAA is out as both GaSt and ODU will be playing members by then bringing the total to 12 teams. SoCon is a possibility, but truthfully I’d rather the SoCon take on an existing program like Jacksonville St or Coastal before Kennesaw. That leaves the OVC, which is where I believe they will go as a football school. Barring any expansion over the next 6 years in the OVC, KSU’s admission would give the conference 10 teams and a pretty even geographic footprint come 2016. Again, certainly an exciting & positive day for FCS football and I’m interested as to what the FCS community thinks. By the way, I know those will not be the helmets used, but they didn’t look half bad.

JMUNJ08
September 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Saw the helmets and knew football must be happening! Congrats to KSU! Jump those final hurdles and bring us an FCS Owls team since Temple didn't want to join us when they were clearly worthy of a jump down...

SaintDK10
September 15th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Interesting development concerning FCS football. Come 2014 there will be 5 D1 schools in Georgia, 3 within a 25 miles of each other. While I certainly believe Georgia can support 5 D1 schools, the question I have of the 3 FCS schools is, what is their intent? Are they wanting to move to FBS or remain FCS? The other question I have is what, if any, effect will this have on GaSt? By 2014, State’s program will be 4 years old and will have played 1 season in the CAA. I’m curious to hear from the more rational Panther fans as to how they feel about this. True, both schools will attract their own alumni & student bases to games, but what about the lay fan on a Saturday that Tech and UGA are away? Then you have the whole recruiting maze to sort through. (There is an article in today’s AJC talking about Saturday’s GaSt/Jack St game where recruiting is talked about) Removing GT & UGA from the equation and to an extent Southern, who historically has recruited from S. Ga and N. Fl, how will the two programs compete for recruits? While I normally don’t concern myself with other programs successes or failures, I believe that if GaSt has been more or less successful by 2014 then recruiting will be a non issue. If not, well like I said, it could be interesting. Then there is the whole conference thing. The CAA, OVC, & SoCon were all mentioned (Per the MDJ) as possible conferences the Owls could play as each would present a natural rival. My thinking is, the CAA is out as both GaSt and ODU will be playing members by then bringing the total to 12 teams. SoCon is a possibility, but truthfully I’d rather the SoCon take on an existing program like Jacksonville St or Coastal before Kennesaw. That leaves the OVC, which is where I believe they will go as a football school. Barring any expansion over the next 6 years in the OVC, KSU’s admission would give the conference 10 teams and a pretty even geographic footprint come 2016. Again, certainly an exciting & positive day for FCS football and I’m interested as to what the FCS community thinks. By the way, I know those will not be the helmets used, but they didn’t look half bad.
Just a minor correction, GSU will entering its 3rd year in the CAA in 2014. We start in 2012.

Bogus Megapardus
September 15th, 2010, 11:18 AM
AGS - we'll need a "Kennesaw Owls" helmet avatar! Congrats and good luck!

adamsputnik
September 15th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Pretty exciting day for me and most of the rest of the KSU alumni, I'd say. Hopefully the nay-sayers don't get too loud between now and then, we need to keep the momentum going.

I wish we had some more concrete answers from the committee and Dr Papp, but the KSU admin has always been cautious and conservative. So hopefully a minor miracle will occur and we can field a team in 2013 instead, but I'll just as happy to wait a year if I know it's going to happen.

JMUNJ08
September 15th, 2010, 11:20 AM
SouthernEagle - to a couple of your points. The CAA doesn't want to keep moving too far south unless we plan to split off UNH, Maine and UMass. Also, we are losing URI after next season so when ODU and GaSt. show up we will be an 11 team conference. I am sure we won't stay at 11 for long but I believe there will be better options than KSU at that time since they are probably not able to start up until 2015 or so. Can't rule out some FBS movement either.

What about the Big South? They are an up and coming league that could benefit from a few more teams. Would KSU be interested in going there and Big South members receptive to them in return?

SaintDK10
September 15th, 2010, 11:29 AM
When I dream, I dream about Charlotte becoming the 12th member of CAA football and GSU having a regional rival. A man can dream, can't he?

SouthernEagle02
September 15th, 2010, 11:47 AM
What about the Big South? They are an up and coming league that could benefit from a few more teams. Would KSU be interested in going there and Big South members receptive to them in return? Honestly the Big South does seem to make more sense. Its a "newer" conference & by then UNC Charlotte will be playing and adding both them and KSU could help the Big South become more competitive. Forgive me, but where is URI going?

GA St. MBB Fan
September 15th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Forgive me, but where is URI going?

The rumor is that the URI is joining the NEC.

gophoenix
September 15th, 2010, 01:10 PM
The rumor is that the URI is joining the NEC.

There is also rumor, proliferated by ESPN editorials, that say Georgia State is going to the SoCon rather than CAA.

There are also App to CUSA rumors, GSU to Sun Belt rumors, UNC Pembroke to the Big South rumors.

All rumors.

GA St. MBB Fan
September 15th, 2010, 01:24 PM
There is also rumor, proliferated by ESPN editorials, that say Georgia State is going to the SoCon rather than CAA.

There are also App to CUSA rumors, GSU to Sun Belt rumors, UNC Pembroke to the Big South rumors.

All rumors.

Okay?

I didn't try to make the rumor seem like fact did I?

superman7515
September 15th, 2010, 01:27 PM
And don't forget Nova could be headed up to the Big East by then. If so, with the possible loss of URI, we're right back at 10 teams where we are today. (Still think we should grab Charlotte and Albany/Fordham or if all were right with the world... Yale... but that's a pipe dream)

DFW HOYA
September 15th, 2010, 01:34 PM
All rumors.

Just no "School X to the Patriot League" rumors.

gophoenix
September 15th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Okay?

I didn't try to make the rumor seem like fact did I?

Nope, jsut that no one from Georgia State seems to be really engrossed in facts at all.

Bogus Megapardus
September 15th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Just no "School X to the Patriot League" rumors.

That is correct. By and large we have both the resources and facilities to manufacture new members synthetically, at an appropriate level of competitiveness and subservience. The incubation period is approximately seven months.

Franks Tanks
September 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM
And don't forget Nova could be headed up to the Big East by then. If so, with the possible loss of URI, we're right back at 10 teams where we are today. (Still think we should grab Charlotte and Albany/Fordham or if all were right with the world... Yale... but that's a pipe dream)

Penn State will join the CAA before Yale.

superman7515
September 15th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Penn State will join the CAA before Yale.

Never said they would. They have no reason to. I just said that was a pipe dream, but it would be great.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 15th, 2010, 02:07 PM

If Nova goes FBS and URI goes NEC, along with the recent loss of Neastern and Hofstra, the northernmost CAA teams are going to start to feel lonely. However, if Boston University brings back football they would be a natural CAA fit, and along with adding Albany (or maybe Lehigh depending on how divisive the scholarship argument becomes in the PL) you could toss Delaware into the mix and have a 6 team CAA-North. W&M, JMU, Richmond, ODU, Towson and either GSU or Kennesaw would make a nice roundup for a 6 team CAA-South.

danefan
September 15th, 2010, 02:18 PM
If Nova goes FBS and URI goes NEC, along with the recent loss of Neastern and Hofstra, the northernmost CAA teams are going to start to feel lonely. However, if Boston University brings back football they would be a natural CAA fit, and along with adding Albany (or maybe Lehigh depending on how divisive the scholarship argument becomes in the PL) you could toss Delaware into the mix and have a 6 team CAA-North. W&M, JMU, Richmond, ODU, Towson and either GSU or Kennesaw would make a nice roundup for a 6 team CAA-South.

BU isn't bringing football back in our lifetimes and Lehigh isn't leaving the PL even if the scholarship issue comes to a head. Lehigh is attached to Lafayette. Neither will break that Ivy league bond they think they have in the PL.

The only realistic expansion targets for the CAA are (in rank order or liklihood):

Charlotte
Fordham
Stony Brook
Albany
Kennesaw State

Franks Tanks
September 15th, 2010, 02:27 PM
BU isn't bringing football back in our lifetimes and Lehigh isn't leaving the PL even if the scholarship issue comes to a head. Lehigh is attached to Lafayette. Neither will break that Ivy league bond they think they have in the PL.

The only realistic expansion targets for the CAA are (in rank order or liklihood):

Charlotte
Fordham
Stony Brook
Albany
Kennesaw State

As I have stated before I would think the CAA would prefer all sports members over FB only. Fordham isn't leaving the A-10 for basketball, although they may actually win a few games every now and then if they did. If Albany and Stony Brook are willing to go to the CAA in all sports I think both will be highly attractive canidates.

danefan
September 15th, 2010, 02:52 PM
As I have stated before I would think the CAA would prefer all sports members over FB only. Fordham isn't leaving the A-10 for basketball, although they may actually win a few games every now and then if they did. If Albany and Stony Brook are willing to go to the CAA in all sports I think both will be highly attractive canidates.

Albany would go to the CAA all-sports in a heartbeat. I would imagine SBU would too.

GA St. MBB Fan
September 15th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Nope, jsut that no one from Georgia State seems to be really engrossed in facts at all.

Well the question was "Where will URI go?" And since there has been no official announcements, the best answer would be that there is a RUMOR that URI will be going to the NEC. Would "URI is not leaving the CAA" been a preferred answer for you? When it may not be any more accurate than the rumor that I repeated? Do you know for a fact that URI is staying in the CAA? Or for a fact that URI is not moving to the NEC?

Schfourteenteen
September 15th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Charlotte
Fordham
Stony Brook
Albany
Kennesaw State

I'd add Liberty to the list. The only thing working against them is the potential number of VA schools in the conference.

danefan
September 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I'd add Liberty to the list. The only thing working against them is the potential number of VA schools in the conference.

You can add the Falwell connection to a reason why I don't think Liberty would ever be welcomed by CAA schools, even though they would never give that as a reason.

Bogus Megapardus
September 15th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Stony Brook

If I'm not mistaken, Stony Brook very recently signed a new extension with the Big South.

Schfourteenteen
September 15th, 2010, 03:38 PM
You can add the Falwell connection to a reason why I don't think Liberty would ever be welcomed by CAA schools, even though they would never give that as a reason.

Previously I would have thought that, but our (new)deal with Richmond tells me the schools who wanted nothing to do with Liberty are thinking otherwise. Liberty's name has come up in the expansion discussion, so I'll wait and see.

There's also the concept that money talks. Liberty's funding, facilities, TV deals and location could make it a good fit for the CAA. If the CAA looks at Liberty and says no, I doubt the only reason would be one man's legacy. But they're running out of reasons not to look at (the other) LU.

Schfourteenteen
September 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Stony Brook very recently signed a new extension with the Big South.

Through 2015. Of course, a contract is only as meaningful as the buyout clause.

JMUNJ08
September 15th, 2010, 03:47 PM
So I believe this thread was about Kennesaw State....

danefan
September 15th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Previously I would have thought that, but our (new)deal with Richmond tells me the schools who wanted nothing to do with Liberty are thinking otherwise. Liberty's name has come up in the expansion discussion, so I'll wait and see.

There's also the concept that money talks. Liberty's funding, facilities, TV deals and location could make it a good fit for the CAA. If the CAA looks at Liberty and says no, I doubt the only reason would be one man's legacy. But they're running out of reasons not to look at (the other) LU.

Its much easier to avoid all the issues and schedule Liberty as a solid OOC foe then it is to bring them in as a conference mate.

The key is that right now, the CAA doesn't need to add any members. its the best conference in FCS. Any addons will be strictly to balance the league geographically and/or numerically and to fill holes left by those that leave for FBS (if any).

That's why I don't think its really all that likely that KSU or Liberty will be added. Charlotte has an "in" with the A10 affiliation and that gives them a leg up on everyone. If the CAA looks North, then Fordham has to be the #1 beacuse of its A10 affiliation. After that I really think its only a Northern school that would be added and only if there was a threat of any more of the NE CAA schools to leave. And that is an unlikely prospect itself.

JMUNJ08
September 15th, 2010, 03:58 PM

We have some football only members and don't have a problem with them. I don't think we want the issue the MAC does with 13 schools playing football. We have teams that are full members that don't play football similar to the Big East. However, we have football only members to bring it up to 10/11/12. We can't have more than 12 all sports members unless we want to kick out the affiliates because if more teams already in the CAA want to play football (eg. VCU/GMU) then we could have an interesting 'situation'.

If we were to add more all sports members then we would be going toward super conference status for 14/16 teams. I don't think with our current structure that makes sense. THEREFORE, to stay on topic, Kennesaw might be a football only fit. They play in the Atlantic Sun which doesn't have football much like our A10/America East teams. The biggest issue for the CAA is do they want to further alienate the northern teams which my answer is NO. I would want to keep UNH/Maine/UMass over adding Kennesaw...

Schfourteenteen
September 15th, 2010, 04:08 PM
No worries. Kennesaw State will accept the Big South offer, then immediately regret it when they visit Charleston Southern.

And then they'll find a way out.

Schfourteenteen
September 15th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Its much easier to avoid all the issues and schedule Liberty as a solid OOC foe then it is to bring them in as a conference mate.

If Richmond can get past that issue for one day, anything is possible.

danefan
September 15th, 2010, 04:11 PM
If Richmond can get past that issue for one day, anything is possible.

Very true, I just don't think they will ever "have" to.

49RFootballNow
September 15th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Congrats Kennesaw St. Fans!!!! Feels good doesn't it? Tell your AD to call ours and we'll see if we can do a home/home with you guys!

SO ILLmatic
September 15th, 2010, 07:11 PM
http://www.ksuowls.com/images/2010/9/15/rp_primary_fottballyes.jpg
pic from the press conf.

I like the look of the helmet and the logo choice. I probably would have went black on black though.

The question now is how many single line shoulder stripes will they have on their jerseys??? xsmiley_wix

T-Dog
September 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Kennesaw was one of the programs to approach the SoCon after ETSU left and they were denied. The absence of football was a major factor in he decision.

I think the southern football race isn't over. I can see two big time schools in Virginia wanting to jump inn the fray.

Schfourteenteen
September 16th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Kennesaw was one of the programs to approach the SoCon after ETSU left and they were denied. The absence of football was a major factor in he decision.

I think the southern football race isn't over. I can see two big time schools in Virginia wanting to jump inn the fray.

VMI
Hampton

danefan
September 16th, 2010, 11:12 AM
VMI
Hampton

George Mason
Virginia Commenwealth

Both of whom have automatic entry into the CAA Football Conference if they submit an operation plan for approval by July 1, 2017.

Active members of the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA") who sponsor Championship Subdivision
championship caliber football shall be entitled to membership in the Conference if desired, by
submitting a formal application and operational plan for approval by the Board of Directors no later than
July 1, 2017. Membership applications from active CAA members received after July 1, 2017 will be
considered in accordance with the process for non-active CAA members seeking membership.

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/supportfiles/Handbook/FB/09_CAAFB_Handbook_web.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=8500

Schfourteenteen
September 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I really wasn't expecting someone to take that seriously.

danefan
September 16th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I really wasn't expecting someone to take that seriously.

Sorry I wasn't. Haha. I actually intended on quoting the guy above you and you at the same time but that didn't work out so well.

But I definitely got the "tongue in cheek" aspect of your post.

bandit
September 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM
VCU would make sense, but Mason has no place to play, and I find it difficult to imagine a scenario in which a football stadium gets built anywhere on or near the GMU campus. I like 5 minutes from GMU, so I'd love to be wrong.

danefan
September 16th, 2010, 03:45 PM
VCU would make sense, but Mason has no place to play, and I find it difficult to imagine a scenario in which a football stadium gets built anywhere on or near the GMU campus. I like 5 minutes from GMU, so I'd love to be wrong.

GMU already has 5,000 seats on its soccer/track and field complex. There's a lot of room around that track for an expanded stadium. its also right next to the fieldhouse which is nice.