PDA

View Full Version : Marist College re-doing its FB stadium

Go...gate
January 27th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I was surfing for some basketball info and came across Marist's FB page, which indicates that they are doing some significant upgrades to their existing football facility (Leodinoff field). Looks like these will include a new grandstand (though only on one side of the field), landscaping and what looks like new turf. Not as nice as Georgetown, Stony Brook or Lafayette, but a nice improvement over what they have now. MAAC FB may be dying, but it looks like Marist's program is in for the long haul.

DFW HOYA
January 27th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Link: (see bottom of page)
http://goredfoxes.collegesports.com/facilities/leonidoff-field.html

downbythebeach
January 27th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Did you read the article from the Marist homepage?

"including the punting record held by Fox News' Bill O'Reily '71 averaging 41.4 yards per punt."

I can't even imagine that

colgate13
January 27th, 2006, 06:43 PM
MAAC FB may be dying, but it looks like Marist's program is in for the long haul.

If they want to keep football, they have to position themselves somewhere... I think they dream of PL associate membership, but I don't know for sure.

nlwwln
January 27th, 2006, 06:59 PM
marist always has a pretty tough team, I know they beat every NEC school they played this year which I think was 4 teams, thats not sayin much but I think they are alot better than their current competition and should get a look at the patriot. The new stadium will definatly help with recruiting and they seem to be in that same caliber of academics as the other patriot league schools. does the PL plan on expansion anytime soon, if yes than who?
I thought the patriot had some interest in richmond but they dont seem to be interested in going that direction. marist, duquesne or even northeastern would seem to be the best fits

DFW HOYA
January 27th, 2006, 07:04 PM
"including the punting record held by Fox News' Bill O'Reily '71 averaging 41.4 yards per punt." I can't even imagine that

Keith Olbermann's blog exposed the fact that O'Reilly played on a club football team at the time and club stats weren't all that exacting.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6844293/
(middle of page)

Go...gate
January 27th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Hard to see them in the PL, but they would fit well with NEC football. Either way, they would have to be an associate member.

ngineer
January 27th, 2006, 09:24 PM

"including the punting record held by Fox News' Bill O'Reily '71 averaging 41.4 yards per punt."

I can't even imagine that

"...and that's a memo." :rolleyes:

Marcus Garvey
January 27th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Keith Olbermann's blog exposed the fact that O'Reilly played on a club football team at the time and club stats weren't all that exacting.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6844293/
(middle of page)

Interesting choice of verbs, "exposed." I actually knew that he played club football. But, keep in mind, club football was much bigger in the 60's and 70's, before liability insurance and lawyers made it too expensive. Marist's football squad wasn't "varsity" until about '78. I think G'town was club at the same time as well as Fordham. I'll bet Marist played both schools then.

DFW HOYA
January 27th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Marist's football squad wasn't "varsity" until about '78. I think G'town was club at the same time as well as Fordham. I'll bet Marist played both schools then.

Georgetown and Fordham were two of the three original club programs (the third, NYU, folded in 1966.) Neither played Marist while they were at the club level (1964-69). Both teams went to the College Division (Division II) by 1970, which was subdivided shortly thereafter into Division III.

Fordham's first game with Marist was in 1981 as a D-III game, while Georgetown didn't play Marist until MAAC play in 1994.

Pard4Life
January 28th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Very nice indeed... this is not recent news though, I think this was on the Lafayette board during the summer. But, the drawings are new. I am glad it's on the east side instead of the west. The present structure is awful... high school bleachers sandwiched against a fence. If you are sitting in the bottom six rows, forget about seeing any action. Your high schools were likely better suited for football. The field is in a nice location though, with lights, so this should definetely boost their profile. I don't know if you could see the opposite bank of the Hudson from there, but you shold get a nice campus view.

"Realizing the vital role that Leonidoff field plays within both the athletic department and to the Marist College mission overall, plans were recently announced that will dramatically change the Leonidoff Field site on campus. The architectural firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP was retained by the College to design, plan and oversee the Leonidoff Field improvement project. The project will feature removing the existing grandstand and press booth along the west side of the field and constructing a new pre-cast grandstand structure along with a modern press booth, media booths and VIP suites along the east side of the field. Additionally, team and official's dressing rooms, rest-rooms, concessions and storage space are to be incorporated in the area located under the spectator seating. The new seating will feature chair-backs along the center portions of the structure flanked by traditional aluminum seating. This aggressive plan will secure the future of Leonidoff Field as a revered and historic facility within the Marist College Athletic Department. "

Go...gate
January 28th, 2006, 04:44 PM
I've never been to Marist. Can the Hudson River be viewed from their stadium?

Pard4Life
January 28th, 2006, 05:14 PM

From the edge of their parking lot you can. I don't think you could from the east side, even from the top of the new box, since buildings and trees might be in the way. Maybe you could see the shorline barely. But, you should be able to see the opposing hill that slopes right down into the river.

TheValleyRaider
January 28th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Probably not from the stadium, due to the trees and buildings like Pard said. However, several spots on the campus do offer fine views of the river, and a few roads lead right down to the water's edge. My sister rowed in high school, and all the local high schools have their boathouses on the Marist campus.

http://www.marist.edu/welcome/map.jpg

The mighty Hudson. Home sweet home :nod: :nod:

Go...gate
January 29th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Looks nice - a good marketing tool!

nlwwln
January 29th, 2006, 08:42 PM
nice lookin campus, they need to get outta the maac asap!