PDA

View Full Version : Elon - Richmond

bostonspider
September 14th, 2010, 09:06 AM
So the Phoenix come up to Richmond for the second straight year, as the two teams meet for the third straight season. Can UR continue their winning ways versus Elon? The Spiders lost more this off season, but will be flying high opening their new on campus stadium. This is a nice early season CAA-SoCon tilt between two similar schools with recent football success. How much will the emotion of the first game at Robins Stadium feature in this game, or will the revenge sought by the Phoenix override that? What say you Spider and Phoenix fans?

A couple pictures of the completed Robins Stadium

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4145/4989584509_32290a5280_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/4989584221_c7c24ec3f5_b.jpg

PhoenixPhan06
September 14th, 2010, 09:40 AM
The new stadium looks great with plenty of seating on both sides. The last two games were high spirited with the most recent game in the '09 Playoffs being almost too close to call. I think this '10 edition will be much like the '09 Playoffs matchup with both teams coming out very motivated and pumped up for what is a big game for both programs. Homer pick aside, I like still like the Phoenix in this one something to the tune of 30-24

HappyAppy13
September 14th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I have a feeling this is going to be the game to be at this week.
I'd almost rather watch it than watch watch my Apps play Central Carolina...good luck to both, but i see Richmond winning in the nice new stadium

LeadBolt
September 14th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Good Luck to Richmond on opening your new stadium, it looks great! The early line is UR by 8, according to 5dimes. I think UR will christen their new stadium with a win, but would take Elon and the 8.

Mntneer
September 14th, 2010, 10:27 AM
No score prediction but I'll take Elon on this one.

Skjellyfetti
September 14th, 2010, 10:35 AM
If anyone has an extra ticket, pm me. :D

SideLine Shooter
September 14th, 2010, 11:04 AM
xthumbsupxI'll take UR by 10.xthumbsupx

biggie
September 14th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Kind of a toss up to me. Home field balancing out my percieved slight talent advantage to Elon. But I've picked Rich on a guess.

ElonPride
September 14th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Tough game to call, but can't wait to watch this game in your new stadium!!!

ur2k
September 14th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I have no idea on this game. I think the two teams are very even. Hopefully our new homefield advantage will be able to make a difference.

Keys to the game (IMO)
- UR defense putting pressure on Riddle, we can't let him get comfortable.
- UR establishing a running game - that will keep Elon off balance and allow Corp to do his thing.

JRCA
September 14th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I have no idea on this game. I think the two teams are very even. Hopefully our new homefield advantage will be able to make a difference.

Keys to the game (IMO)
- UR establishing a running game - that will keep Elon off balance and allow Corp to do his thing.

I wish I had a ticket to the game! I have a lot of concerns about the Elon secondary. Don't underestimate the emotions of playing in a brand new home. Just ask San Diego, how that works out!

Oh, what the heck. 31-34 final score, Richmond. I hope I'm wrong, I love my Phoenix (Fighting Christians, in my Elon
days).

Elon Fighting Christians (Phoenix):
NAIA National Champions 1980, 1981. Man, do I remember the battles with Carson-Newman back in the day!

phoenixphanatic21
September 14th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Keys to the game (IMO)

I could say that Elon has the same keys. Pressure Corp and use whatever running backs we have left to keep the defense on their toes. Defensive secondary is gonna have to step up this week. Just wondering, how's Richmond's defense looking this year?

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I could say that Elon has the same keys. Pressure Corp and use whatever running backs we have left to keep the defense on their toes. Defensive secondary is gonna have to step up this week. Just wondering, how's Richmond's defense looking this year?

Very solid in the Back 7. Martin Parker is a rock on the D-line but we are otherwise very young there.

URMite
September 15th, 2010, 09:44 AM

3 of the 20 Buchanan candidates would make it seem the D is ok. The only real question mark on D is the DLine - our best defender plus a lot of inexperienced guys (who seem to have talent if they learn what they are suppose to do.)

At first, the UVA game had me worried about the D, but unless Elon has found a running back that is built like Jerome Felton with the moves of Armanti since last season (like UVA has), I'm returning to the idea that our D is a big strength.

Has Elon found enough of a running game to keep defenders honest?

URMite
September 15th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Very solid in the Back 7. Martin Parker is a rock on the D-line but we are otherwise very young there.

I agree. When Parker went out with cramps at UVA the Dline started getting completely pushed around and the score went from 14-13 to 34-13. I'm just hoping there aren't many FCS teams with a FBS OLine and a 250 LB guy with running back skills.

jmufan999
September 15th, 2010, 10:03 AM
without knowing a great deal about either team, i'll take richmond by 10. 30-20.

hard for me to pick a team playing on the road that has lost each of the last 2 years to the same school. it's a new year, but the safe bet is to go with richmond.

Bam
September 15th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Spiders by 10. Stadium looks nice.

URMite
September 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM
From 2 days ago on the Socon thread...

"Judging from the first two games, the offense seems to be fine. There seems to be a bit of an injury problem at the RB positions. The backfield was supposed to be Elon's deepest position with Harris, Newsome and Shuman. Now that two games are in the history books, it looks like Newsome and Shuman are out for a while."

Anyone willing to comment on the accuracy of this statement?

ElonPride
September 15th, 2010, 12:23 PM

"Judging from the first two games, the offense seems to be fine. There seems to be a bit of an injury problem at the RB positions. The backfield was supposed to be Elon's deepest position with Harris, Newsome and Shuman. Now that two games are in the history books, it looks like Newsome and Shuman are out for a while."

Shuman is still out. it was reported that Newsome was on crutches during the game with Shaw......rumor is a possible fracture. I haven't seen any comments from Lembo regarding Newsome, so it possible he is ok.

Mntneer
September 15th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Can't believe some Elon fans are picking Richmond here. If Elon loses this game I foresee a disappointing season for the Phoenix. Not to take anything away from the Spiders, but considering what they lost Elon would seem to be the favorite here. If this Elon team isn't the one that can finally step up and win a big game, I think they'll have trouble in SoCon competition this year.

bostonspider
September 15th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Interestingly over 2,200 students have picked up tix to this game. That is close to 80% of the undergraduate student body. Should make for one of the louder and more boisterous home crowds for a UR football game. Hopefully the Spiders will be able to feed of the crowd's energy, leading to a well won victory.

Mikeyosef
September 15th, 2010, 09:59 PM
At the start of the season I would have said Richmond would take this game and they still may but Elon has impressed me more than expected. I think they may be due and I can think of at least one team last year that opened in a newly renovated stadium only to loose the game to a lower ranked visitor resulting in loosing homefield advantage in the playoffs.xbangx

One thing is for sure, if Richmond can put much pressure on Riddle he will fold...again just based on how another team managed to come into Elon's house and beat them last yearxnodx

T-Dog
September 15th, 2010, 10:07 PM
That endzone seating looks too close to the endzone.

elon77
September 16th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Can't believe some Elon fans are picking Richmond here. If Elon loses this game I foresee a disappointing season for the Phoenix. Not to take anything away from the Spiders, but considering what they lost Elon would seem to be the favorite here. If this Elon team isn't the one that can finally step up and win a big game, I think they'll have trouble in SoCon competition this year.

I'm having a hard time with that myself Mntneer.xsmhx But it is what it is. I'm picking the rising birds beating the arthropods 34-21.xnodx

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 16th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Schuman is out for another 2-3 weeks.

Here is the little I could find on Newsome in the Burlngton Times News. No word on if he is playing or not:

-- EXTRA POINTS …: Newsome, who rushed for 77 yards on 14 carries, limped off the field with an ankle injury after finishing a run midway through the third quarter. He left the field on crutches after the game

Newsome would be a big loss for us.

whoanellie
September 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
he will play

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 17th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Newsome is expected to play. He practiced on THUR.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/elon-36974-tries-bck.html

elonfan06
September 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Newsome will be playing but I doubt at 100%. Our secondary is the biggest concern. Richmond has only played once this season against their old coach against UVA. It's hard to judge based on both teams first games who has the major advantage. From the emotional standpoint both teams have something to prove. I know that Elon will be bringing a great crowd.

I don't predict scores but the might Phoenix will finally make it over the hump and keep playoffs goals alive. I will say I can see this game coming down to a field goal.

GO PHOENIX!

phan
September 17th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Is this game televised at all?

Skjellyfetti
September 17th, 2010, 03:10 PM

Comcast Sportsnet I believe. Should be on the various online streaming sites as well.

ur2k
September 17th, 2010, 04:20 PM

Nope, not televised. I think UR's site will have a paid stream for it.

phoenixphanatic21
September 17th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Nope, not televised. I think UR's site will have a paid stream for it.

I think Elon may be providing a free video stream too. Not 100% sure on that though.

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 17th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I think Elon may be providing a free video stream too. Not 100% sure on that though.

if you click "watch" on elonphoenix.com will link you to the UR athletics page video feed....

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 17th, 2010, 09:33 PM
So you have to pay to watch the stream through our site, but you can watch the same stream for free through the Elon site? xnutsx

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
So you have to pay to watch the stream through our site, but you can watch the same stream for free through the Elon site? xnutsx

No. THe ELON site takes you to the pay-per-view U Richmond site. But, channelsurfing.net has this game listed....

GaSouthern
September 18th, 2010, 10:07 AM
No. THe ELON site takes you to the pay-per-view U Richmond site. But, channelsurfing.net has this game listed....

With GSU playing Elon next week, this was already game of the week for me.

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 18th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Hey Spiders, new stadium looks great. It actually looks a lot like Rhodes Stadium at Elon. Very similar situation too, before our stadium was built we played at old Burlington Memorial Stadium in town (at the High School). That stadium should be great for your school and your program. Can't wait for the game today....

phoenixphanatic21
September 18th, 2010, 11:33 AM
if you click "watch" on elonphoenix.com will link you to the UR athletics page video feed....

Yea, my bad. Sorry. God I can't wait for kickoff.

Anyone else watching the chanelsurfing feed? Any reason why it's in black and white?

phoenixphanatic21
September 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Nevermind. It's in color now.

Skjellyfetti
September 18th, 2010, 11:56 AM
That national anthem absolutely stellar. xsmileyclapx

phoenixphanatic21
September 18th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Who went down on that first play?

insideout08
September 18th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Fantastic opening drive for Elon. Riddle was perfect, 7-0 Elon.

phoenixphanatic21
TD Riddle to Mellete for 16 yards. 7-0 Elon.

Skjellyfetti
Real nice opening drive by Elon.

Whoever is working the camera is awful... he bites on every fake. xlolx

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 18th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Real nice opening drive by Elon.

Whoever is working the camera is awful... he bites on every fake. xlolx

No kidding this broadcast is terrible.

phan
September 18th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Strong opening drive....starting gameplan and execution seems spot on...now comes the answer to how the defense will execute

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 18th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Fumble !!! Nice snap...

insideout08
September 18th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Elon dominated the first quarter but could only manage 7 points (missed a short FG and INT near the red zone).

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 18th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Elon dominated the first quarter but could only manage 7 points (missed a short FG and INT near the red zone).

Sounds like Elon. No smack meant.

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 18th, 2010, 12:57 PM
14-7 ELON

Syntax Error
September 18th, 2010, 01:04 PM
video here http://channelsurfing.net/watch-richmond.html

seattlespider
September 18th, 2010, 01:16 PM
14-14 after a dumb penalty by Elon after stopping UR on 3rd and goal.

Syntax Error
September 18th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Corps 9-14 with several drops, also the leading rusher

ElonPride
September 18th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Corps 9-14 with several drops

A couploe drops by Elon too.....one of which went out of the WRs hands right into that of UR. Big hit lead to that INT. Richmond scored on the following drive.

Both teams looking decent. Look like Aaron Corp is finding his rhythm.

phoenixphanatic21
September 18th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Aaron Mellette's looking great too. 9 catches for 114 yards and a TD in the first half.

Skjellyfetti
September 18th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Riddle does not handle pressure very well. I think he about crapped his pants when he saw those two Richmond guys coming off his blindside.

Syntax Error
September 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Riddle does not handle pressure very well. I think he about crapped his pants when he saw those two Richmond guys coming off his blindside.

trolling?

rumple
September 18th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Did Corp get hurt or something?

Skjellyfetti
September 18th, 2010, 02:12 PM
trolling?
xlolx

just an observation.

phoenixphanatic21
September 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Did Corp get hurt or something?

Yup.

rumple
September 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
What was the injury?

seattlespider
September 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Corp is out with cramps.

rumple
September 18th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Wow these Richmond receivers cant catch.

Syntax Error
September 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM
haha charlestonappfan (Skjellyfetti) neg repped me for cheering - xcrazyx

Skjellyfetti
September 18th, 2010, 02:23 PM
haha charlestonappfan (Skjellyfetti) neg repped me for cheering - xcrazyx

I didn't neg rep you...

Did you see that last 3rd down? Riddle panicked again.

SkinsWizDukes
September 18th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Corp is out with cramps.

On his period?

insideout08
September 18th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Wow, huge fake punt for Elon from their own 29 yard line across midfield.

14-14 9:03 in the 4th.

The defenses have controlled play after the middle of the 2nd quarter.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 18th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Richmond knocking on the door.

RabidRabbit
September 18th, 2010, 02:50 PM
These are two evenly matched, quality teams.

insideout08
September 18th, 2010, 02:56 PM
42-yard FG is good with 2:01 to go, but after a roughing the kicker penalty, Richmond takes the points off the board! Spiders ball, 14-14.

insideout08
September 18th, 2010, 03:00 PM
TD Richmond with 1:41 to go. It'll be 21-14, PAT pending.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Holy Crap what a play
xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

We're going to OT if Elon makes the PAT

insideout08
WOW! 25-yard TD pass from Riddle to Mellette on the last play of the game ties it at 21!

Here comes OT.

Elon Fightin' Christians
TOUCHDOWN !!!!

EmeryZach
September 18th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Holy Cow!!!

PhoenixSupreme
September 18th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Beautiful pass!!!

rumple
September 18th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Cmon Elon, want to see Spiders demoralized for Delaware game next week.

RabidRabbit
September 18th, 2010, 03:13 PM
xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxSpiders/Phoenixxbowxxbowxxbowx What a GREAT GAME TO WATCH!

boonegoon
September 18th, 2010, 03:15 PM
What happened? ESPN shows it over 21-20.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM
What happened? ESPN shows it over 21-20.

Probably a bug with ESPN's scoreboard. Time expired before Elon kicked the PAT so it counted it over.

insideout08
September 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Richmond wins 27-21!

PhoenixSupreme
September 18th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I'm feeling a bit sick to my stomach there, but a great game nevertheless. Grats to the Spiders for a hard-fought win

RabidRabbit
September 18th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Congrats Spiders for a GREAT kick-off win for the new stadium. 27-21 OT over Elon

ElonPride
September 18th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Wow, what a game! Congrats UR!

EmeryZach
September 18th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Great game. Nice win for Richmond.

phoenixphanatic21
September 18th, 2010, 03:36 PM
God I wish Adam Shreiner could kick a frickin' field goal. Congrats to the Spiders on the win. What a great game to watch...though it is gonna take me a while to stomach that loss.

GaSouthern
September 18th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Good game, sucks that the SoCon lost this one too.

Syntax Error
September 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Good game, sucks that the SoCon lost this one too.

Elon lost, the Socon doesn't have a team despite what the CAA teams fans think they have.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 18th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Where were the Elon fans? We gave you 750. Roughly 300 of you showed and you didn't give the rest back. We could have used the rest.

DTSpider
September 18th, 2010, 07:52 PM
What a great day. Almost everything ran smoothly with the new stadium outside of concessions. I feel great that UR was able to pull out the win. Thought Elon had the chance to bury UR early and just didn't take advantage of it. Great win for the spiders heading into conference play.

seantaylor
September 19th, 2010, 03:45 AM
I agree. I want every Socon team to lose. Rooting for your rivals is asinine. GSU going to beat the brakes off Eloan this week.

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Elon lost, the Socon doesn't have a team despite what the CAA teams fans think they have.

both Elon and Richmond are recruiting the same kid, the kid is on the fence... but makes up his mind when somebody makes him understand how much better the CAA is than the SoCo, "after all kid, The CAA is better than some of the FBS conferences and makes a habit of beating ACC teams" - I thought you would like that....great, see you next August..

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I agree. I want every Socon team to lose. Rooting for your rivals is asinine. GSU going to beat the brakes off Eloan this week.

what happened to the best defense in 1AA? No shut out this week?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 19th, 2010, 08:57 AM

Right on! Maybe the SoCon can become like the OVC or MEAC where if you get the auto-bid you play on the road in the first round against one of the best teams in the country! Yay! xrolleyesx

We're going to beat the brakes off Elon? Do you not realize Towson defended Coastal better all-around than we did?

Syntax Error
September 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
both Elon and Richmond are recruiting the same kid, the kid is on the fence... but makes up his mind when somebody makes him understand how much better the CAA is than the SoCon

??? SoCon has a better playoff record, more national championships, etc. How do you tell that kid to ignore facts?

phan
September 19th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I didn't neg rep you...

Did you see that last 3rd down? Riddle panicked again.

I see you were at the game, I'm interested in what your take on the game was?

MacThor
September 20th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I was at the game, and I thought Riddle looked poised. He sure seemed to master the "25-step drop" (keep running backwards to avoid pressure then throw it away). He also obviously has a better understanding of the intentional grounding rules than most fans, since he got away with it on 2 of these 4 scrambles. Once he chucked it over the Richmond bench without getting the ball to the line of scrimmage (or getting out of the pocket), the other time he spiked it as hard as he could at an oncoming passrusher's legs. The other two times he was able to scramble out of the tackle box and heave it out of bounds. The ref never even flinched toward his flag on the first two, which seemed like clear IG penalties.

PhoenixMan
September 20th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I was at the game, and I thought Riddle looked poised. He sure seemed to master the "25-step drop" (keep running backwards to avoid pressure then throw it away). He also obviously has a better understanding of the intentional grounding rules than most fans, since he got away with it on 2 of these 4 scrambles. Once he chucked it over the Richmond bench without getting the ball to the line of scrimmage (or getting out of the pocket), the other time he spiked it as hard as he could at an oncoming passrusher's legs. The other two times he was able to scramble out of the tackle box and heave it out of bounds. The ref never even flinched toward his flag on the first two, which seemed like clear IG penalties.
Unfortunately, I wasn't there and had to settle for the radio. I didn't hear much about any intentional grounding.....I did, however, hear that the roughing call when Scott took the points off the board was a BS homer call. Sounded to me like the CAA officials wanted to make SURE UR got a W in the first game in the new stadium. To the one who posted "Riddle panicked again..." It sounded to me like he was poised throughout, especially an 80 yd. drive with no TO and 1:38 on the clock, capped off with a TD strike to Mellette. Just kidding about the officials, but I did hear that...from Elon folks of course. Our kicker continues to cost us badly.

elon77
September 20th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Where were the Elon fans? We gave you 750. Roughly 300 of you showed and you didn't give the rest back. We could have used the rest.

You're crazy, there must have been 700 empty seats on the home side. Maybe those 700 fans were waiting in line for something to eat or drink. The school needs to move the student bleachers back a couple of yards, I really believe a tall kid could reach over into the end zone from the first row. Other CAA teams will see what I mean when you play there. Also, whoever works the switch on that loud a$$ music needs to learn how to cut it off a little quicker. There were many times Riddle was at the line of scrimmage calling plays and that dang music was still blaring. Must have been two different people operating the switch, because it never seemed to happen when U of R had the ball.

MacThor
September 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM
LOL about the officials. They were remarkably consistent and yet bizarre. There were a lot of personal fouls in this game, but they were called both ways and each was as legit as the others. The most remarkable thing is that they never measured. We'd never seen anything like it. There were at least 4 instances where the ball was very close to the sticks, and in every case they just said "meh...close enough.......FIRST DOWN!" They gave these first downs to both teams.

The roughing the kicker call was correct, but I was surprised UR took the points off the board. Turned out to be the right move though!

Other observations:

Stupid penalties made a BIG difference in this game. The late hit in the end zone and the roughing the kicker turned 3 points into 7 on two separate occasions. Richmond prolonged an Elon drive with a late hit but I can't remember if Elon scored on it.

The fake punt from their own 28 was ballsy. Gotta give Lembo credit for that one.

Why was Mellette not even listed in the top 4 receivers for Elon? That guy tore us up worse than Hudgins!

Will Kamin is money. I don't know why Howard wasn't benched for him last season.

I am sooooooo sick of the prevent defense. This is the fourth home game in recent memory where we've scored a touchdown against a top 10 team in the waning minutes only to let them drive for a TD in the final minute to tie or win the game. JMU in '08. Villanova and App St. in '09. (Our only home losses those two seasons). Elon. At least we won one of those games.

Dovetailing with the prevent D -- Justin Rogers is an all-American, and we have him playing 10 yard cushion the whole game when Elon made it clear they were going to run dinks and dunks underneath?

Love the new uniforms!

Why doesn't Kirchoff run the ball more?

bostonspider
September 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM
You're crazy, there must have been 700 empty seats on the home side. Maybe those 700 fans were waiting in line for something to eat or drink. .

The Student section normally seats 1600, but for this game UR set aside seats for every undergrad. 2200 of the 2800 requested and received tickets. 1600 were placed in the "Web" and the other 600 were to sit on the west side of the stadium. From what everyone can tell, almost all 2200 decided to cram into the "Web", leaving 600 empty seats in the main stands. I would not think that this will happen again.

GannonFan
September 20th, 2010, 03:22 PM
??? SoCon has a better playoff record, more national championships, etc. How do you tell that kid to ignore facts?

You don't have to - it's a "what have you done for me lately" world out there. Recent facts matter a lot more than older facts, especially for the 18 year old set.

Plus, it'll be interesting now that the almost two decade hold on schools hosting the national championship is over for the SoCon. It'll be odd to have to play on neutral fields.

URMite
September 20th, 2010, 03:25 PM
You're crazy, there must have been 700 empty seats on the home side. Maybe those 700 fans were waiting in line for something to eat or drink. The school needs to move the student bleachers back a couple of yards, I really believe a tall kid could reach over into the end zone from the first row. Other CAA teams will see what I mean when you play there. Also, whoever works the switch on that loud a$$ music needs to learn how to cut it off a little quicker. There were many times Riddle was at the line of scrimmage calling plays and that dang music was still blaring. Must have been two different people operating the switch, because it never seemed to happen when U of R had the ball.

I was worried about that 700 on the home side too. But I think a lot of that was because 500 students were given tickets in that section once the student section was filled. But they either stood around or jammed into the student section instead.

MacThor
September 20th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Yep, the music was too LOUD and went on too long. Kinks of a new stadium perhaps. But it was bad enough at one point that we worried UR could be penalized. No excuse for music after the opponents line up.

ur2k
September 20th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Unfortunately, I wasn't there and had to settle for the radio. I didn't hear much about any intentional grounding.....I did, however, hear that the roughing call when Scott took the points off the board was a BS homer call. Sounded to me like the CAA officials wanted to make SURE UR got a W in the first game in the new stadium. To the one who posted "Riddle panicked again..." It sounded to me like he was poised throughout, especially an 80 yd. drive with no TO and 1:38 on the clock, capped off with a TD strike to Mellette. Just kidding about the officials, but I did hear that...from Elon folks of course. Our kicker continues to cost us badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAF0iJvvf8k

Just go straight to 5:10 for your answer on the roughing call

Saint3333
September 20th, 2010, 09:49 PM
You don't have to - it's a "what have you done for me lately" world out there. Recent facts matter a lot more than older facts, especially for the 18 year old set.

Plus, it'll be interesting now that the almost two decade hold on schools hosting the national championship is over for the SoCon. It'll be odd to have to play on neutral fields.

Other than Marshall playing at home the championship game has always been on a neutral field.

ur2k
September 21st, 2010, 12:08 AM
Game 1 video

http://vimeo.com/15122063

ElonPride
September 21st, 2010, 07:55 AM
LOL about the officials. They were remarkably consistent and yet bizarre. There were a lot of personal fouls in this game, but they were called both ways and each was as legit as the others. The most remarkable thing is that they never measured. We'd never seen anything like it. There were at least 4 instances where the ball was very close to the sticks, and in every case they just said "meh...close enough.......FIRST DOWN!" They gave these first downs to both teams.

The officials overall were pretty good.....what fan posted otherwise? Agreed on the first down calls also. There were a couple that seemed, well, lazy calls.

And you also hit the nail on the head my friend, stupid penalties were the difference in this game. Roughing the passer on the tipped ball & roughing the kicker. Stupid, stupid mistakes and had me nearly pulling my hair out!

Richmond has a first class facility with first class fans. I'm glad that Elon was able to help christen a great venue to watch some football! I also hope both schools will agree to keep this game on the schedule.

Eaglesrus
September 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM
Other than Marshall playing at home the championship game has always been on a neutral field.

Maybe outside the context of this discussion because we weren't in the SoCon at the time, but we won two of our championships in Paulson Stadium.

Syntax Error
September 23rd, 2010, 09:56 PM

Oh yeah, forgot that Appalachian State's threepeat is ancient history. :D