PDA

View Full Version : What would it take for Delaware State...?

DSUrocks07
September 13th, 2010, 01:06 PM
to join the CAA?

or the NEC?

or the Big South?

or a new "Yankee Conference"?

With the conference shakeups beginning next season...I want to get an idea of what options would be available for us?

Laugh and ridicule if you must, but any positive or constructive ideas are most welcome xnodx

WestCoastAggie
September 13th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Call back the NEC or have your AD & President get in good with the CAA people so they will consider DSU to replace 'Nova when they leave.

But are you really sure that the current DSU Administration wants to leave the MEAC?

zymergy
September 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I think you need to get your house in order first. I was reading the article about the new Presidents speech the BOT. You need to start working on getting some alumni donations and build from there. Besides the Challenge game why do you want to change Conf.'s?

Schfourteenteen
September 13th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I don't think the CAA would be an option.

If you're willing to travel to BigSouthland, I'm sure they would take you.....and maybe drop Charleston Southern :D

DSUrocks07
September 13th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Call back the NEC or have your AD & President get in good with the CAA people so they will consider DSU to replace 'Nova when they leave.

But are you really sure that the current DSU Administration wants to leave the MEAC?

I think that after the Michigan fiasco, the current AD doesn't want to ruffle any feathers...but I fear that being in lockstep with the MEAC office will lead to disaster. I do know that Dr. Williams talks about being in the best position for the future, so I think that all options are on the table.

DSUrocks07
September 13th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I think you need to get your house in order first. I was reading the article about the new Presidents speech the BOT. You need to start working on getting some alumni donations and build from there. Besides the Challenge game why do you want to change Conf.'s?

I agree with that as well. DSU has been going about this all wrong for the last 20 years or so...

The proposed game is just another in a long list of greivances many have with the direction of the MEAC conference as a whole. Being the laughingstock of FCS and Division I doesn't sit well with some Alumni...the problem is that a MAJORITY of Alums are comfortable with the current situation, and that mindset will have to change for ANY progress to be made. Remember when Dr. Sessoms (DSU's previous president) came out with his desires to move DSU up to FBS(then I-A)? The Alumni Association was in an uproar, claiming that he was changing what DSU was as a University, which was a silly argument but when you play that card its easy to garner support.

DSUrocks07
September 13th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I don't think the CAA would be an option.

If you're willing to travel to BigSouthland, I'm sure they would take you.....and maybe drop Charleston Southern :D

Maybe not immediately but regionally they would fit perfectly.

I like the Big South but they seem to be Carolina-centric....would adding DSU be a "Maine" situation for the conference?

henfan
September 13th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Athletics is the least of DSU's worries at this point in time, unfortunately.

DSUrocks07
September 13th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Athletics is the least of DSU's worries at this point in time, unfortunately.

Also true. :(

There's so much that could be done, IMMEDIATELY, to improve their entire situation if they chose to go down that path. It would be difficult and be heavily criticized but it would be the best thing to do.

Sly Fox
September 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Maybe not immediately but regionally they would fit perfectly.

I like the Big South but they seem to be Carolina-centric....would adding DSU be a "Maine" situation for the conference?

Have you ever looked at Stony Brook on a map?

DSUrocks07
September 13th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Have you ever looked at Stony Brook on a map?

Just realized that SB was in the conference as well. DSU would also be an outlier. Travel partners perhaps?

Schfourteenteen
September 13th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Well, SB is football only, so travel partners would need to be from VA or another northern full time entry. Lets get UMBC on the phone!

MR. CHICKEN
September 13th, 2010, 03:20 PM
DIS MAY HURT SOME.....DEL. ST. ROCKY......HOWEVERAH.......AH'D STOP GIVIN' SKOLLIES TA..MIDDLETOWN RB'S........GO FO'....DUH O & D LINEMAN......WHO TURN DOWN RHODE ISLAND........SKEDULE RHODE ISLAND.........WM. PENN/CONCORD/A.I. ETC............INSTITUTE SAT'S.....AS UH WAY TA SCREEN DUH PRETENDERS.....HIT UP JAMAL & TAYLOR...FO' SOME BIG TIME DUCATS.....GET YER BAND..TA STOP PLAYIN'.......MARVIN'S..."LET'S GET IT ON".....WILD CHERRY'S GREATEST HIT........&.....R. KELLY'S..."DOWN LOW"......GROW SOME NADS.....AC-DC...&...NON POINT...WILL INSPIRE YER "D".....LOSE DUH 5' 8".....245 LB......KICKER.........MOVE DUH GOAL POSTS....'CROSS DUH STREET....INFIELD AREA.....NEXT TA WHERE DEY STORE..DUH TIRES......GET UH MASCOT......DAT WON'T DROP.....WHEN OPPOSIN' MASCOTS.....SHOOT HIM....WHIFF FAKE....MOSQUITO REPELLENT......CONSIDER DUH WING-T...O'...TRIPLE-O...(WISHBONE...DERE'S ONE IN EVERAH TURKEY)....IT'LL CONFOUND...ALL DUH MEAC BROTHA'S.....SWAC BRO'S....&....."FLIGHT A" KIDS.....WIGGLE OUTTAH DUH UD CONTRACT...(CONTACT FURMAN..FO' HOW TO)....&...LASTLY....AH'M GUESSIN'.....MAYBE JOIN DUH CAPITOL TRAIL CONFERENCE......'MEMBERAH.....AH SAID DIS MAY HURT SOME.....xnodx....BRAWK!

DSUrocks07
September 13th, 2010, 03:32 PM
DIS MAY HURT SOME.....DEL. ST. ROCKY......HOWEVERAH.......AH'D STOP GIVIN' SKOLLIES TA..MIDDLETOWN RB'S........GO FO'....DUH O & D LINEMAN......WHO TURN DOWN RHODE ISLAND........SKEDULE RHODE ISLAND.........WM. PENN/CONCORD/A.I. ETC............INSTITUTE SAT'S.....AS UH WAY TA SCREEN DUH PRETENDERS.....HIT UP JAMAL & TAYLOR...FO' SOME BIG TIME DUCATS.....GET YER BAND..TA STOP PLAYIN'.......MARVIN'S..."LET'S GET IT ON".....WILD CHERRY'S GREATEST HIT........&.....R. KELLY'S..."DOWN LOW"......GROW SOME NADS.....AC-DC...&...NON POINT...WILL INSPIRE YER "D".....LOSE DUH 5' 8".....245 LB......KICKER.........MOVE DUH GOAL POSTS....'CROSS DUH STREET....INFIELD AREA.....NEXT TA WHERE DEY STORE..DUH TIRES......GET UH MASCOT......DAT WON'T DROP.....WHEN OPPOSIN' MASCOTS.....SHOOT HIM....WHIFF FAKE....MOSQUITO REPELLENT......CONSIDER DUH WING-T...O'...TRIPLE-O...(WISHBONE...DERE'S ONE IN EVERAH TURKEY)....IT'LL CONFOUND...ALL DUH MEAC BROTHA'S.....SWAC BRO'S....&....."FLIGHT A" KIDS.....WIGGLE OUTTAH DUH UD CONTRACT...(CONTACT FURMAN..FO' HOW TO)....&...LASTLY....AH'M GUESSIN'.....MAYBE JOIN DUH CAPITOL TRAIL CONFERENCE......'MEMBERAH.....AH SAID DIS MAY HURT SOME.....xnodx....BRAWK!

Thanks Mr. Chicken xthumbsupx

I'll take your thought(sxconfusedx) under consideration.

superman7515
September 13th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Darius Jackson - WR - #1 - Quincy, FL
Calvin Miner - DB - #4 - Sanford, FL
Michah Brown - QB - #17 - Quincy, FL
Alex Perry - DB - #25 - Jacksonville, FL
Jonathan Mills - OL - #57 - Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Rodney Gunter - DT - #94 - Haines City, FL

1) Recruiting. Stop taking the leftovers from Florida A&M and Bethune Cookman. You're the most north & east HBCU in the nation. There are 6 kids from Florida on the DelState roster (after UF, FSU, FIU, FAU, The U, USF, FAMU, and Bethune have already picked them over) and yet there is 1 from NY, 0 from VT, 0 from NH, 1 from MA, 0 from ME, 0 from RI, and 0 from CT. They should OWN New York recruiting for the HBCU's. Yes, there are a handful of kids from New Jersey, but considering it's a border state and only 1 is from the NYC metro area, not exactly the same thing. There are really good recruits in the northeast, and DelState is the best positioned in the MEAC to go there. Yet, they don't.

2) Advertising. Like I said in the DelState vs FAMU thread, they get outdrawn by the high schools in the Dover area because no one knows they're playing and no one knows they're having events like Saturday's special pricing for firefighters/ems/police. Again, they didn't even bother to add in special advertising for the military and they've got 5000 members of the Air Force five minutes down the road. It's mind-bottling. http://images0.cpcache.com/product/will+ferrell-trapped+in+a+bottle-things+are+crazy/195921270v4_225x225_Front.jpg

3) Stadium/Playing field. Won't really be an issue until people start showing up, but I know from going to the high school championship games that those bleachers are nothing more than a glorified high school stadium. I'd rather be in Milford at Briggs Stadium or Lewes at Legends Stadium for overall quality of field & stadium. It needs to feel more like a stadium and less like someone threw up some lawn chairs at the last minute and you're out watching your kids Pop Warner game.

4) Access. Delaware State games are on 1290 the Ticket... You can't even get 1290 the Ticket in most of Kent County (including Dover!) or any of Sussex County. Get the games on 95.9 the Sports Animal. The station is right in Georgetown and with the repeaters it will reach all of your fanbase from Chincoteague, Virginia to Smyrna, Delaware. You'll be reaching Dover, Salisbury, Ocean City, all of Sussex... You'll even be broadcasting right into Princess Anne, home of conference mate UMES and maybe you'll be able to pull some kids from there who want to play football. With all the summertime visitors to Rehoboth Beach, Ocean City, and Chincoteague you'll be advertising yourselves to people from across the country. Rehoboth Beach is "The Nation's Summer Capitol" because of the tens of thousands from the DC area that go there every summer. That means... you're reaching kids who might only know Howard... Not saying that you will or won't get them, but you're certainly not right now by being on an AM station that you can't even get in the stadium.

Just my opinion though as a lifelong downstater.

DSUrocks07
September 14th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks superman7515!

That's what frustrates me the most about DSU, so much unrealized potential. They don't even market properly in Dover itself, outside of the ONE billboard outside of the stadium. xnonono2x and beside a couple hats at the Dover Mall (across the street) I have not seen ANY DSU gear being sold in store anywhere in the state, yet you see Blue Hen apparel out the azz.xlolx