PDA

View Full Version : SWAC coach says S.C. State should stay in FCS playoffs

bosshogg
September 13th, 2010, 06:58 AM
SWAC coach says S.C. State should stay in FCS playoffs
Story
Discussion
By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer | Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 12:05 am |

Sitting outside the visitors locker room Saturday night at Oliver C. Dawson Stadium, a drained Mississippi Valley State head coach Karl Morgan watched his players limp quietly into the dressing quarters.
His Delta Devils were physically pounded on both sides of the football by 15th-ranked South Carolina State, 44-0. Compared to what it showed against the Bulldogs, Mississippi Valley State looked more competitive a week earlier in scoring two field goals in a 34-6 loss at Alabama State.
On Saturday, the Delta Devils managed just 44 total yards and were held to just six first downs, two aided by penalties. Despite their constant blitzes which at times disrupted S.C. State's passing game, Mississippi Valley State allowed 489 total yards and this does not include the 117 in kick return yards.
All Morgan could do afterward aside from regrouping his players was marvel at head coach Oliver "Buddy" Pough's team and take notes.

http://m.thetandd.com/sports/bulldog...cc4c03286.html

TexasTerror
September 13th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Better link...

http://m.thetandd.com/sports/bulldogzone/football/article_57b4bde0-bee2-11df-b798-001cc4c03286.html

What speaks louder than any comment from Pough and what serves as ammunition for those against the Legacy Bowl is his record, specifically against historically black colleges:

-- 68-13 against all HBCUs

-- 52-11 against MEAC schools.

-- 17-1 against non-MEAC HBCUs.

-- 3-0 against the SWAC.

-- 2-0 in the MEAC/SWAC Challenge.

3rd Coast Tiger
September 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Hey good luck S.C. State!

Sly Fox
September 13th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Morgan just earned some newfound respect from me for those comments. He is absolutely correct.

Schfourteenteen
September 13th, 2010, 10:34 AM
And they will stay in the FCS playoff picture......just not the MEAC.

mikebigg
September 13th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Other than to say this... The SWAC really DGAS!!! Please stay in the playoffs!!!!!!!

89Hen
September 13th, 2010, 11:23 AM
0-9 vs non-HBCU I-AA's in the 2000's.

blackcaesar3k5
September 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM
0-9 vs non-HBCU I-AA's in the 2000's.

Grambling State did beat Portland State back in 2001...

WestCoastAggie
September 13th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Can we table the Legacy Bowl discussions until after Dennis Thomas comes out with his "October Suprise"?

89Hen
September 13th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Grambling State did beat Portland State back in 2001...

I was replying to SCSt's stats against HBCU's. They haven't beaten a DI PWC in 10 years. 0-9 and that's not counting I-A losses.

Sonic98
September 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Can we table the Legacy Bowl discussions until after Dennis Thomas comes out with his "October Suprise"?

There is no need for a Legacy Bowl. I already wish we could get rid of the Swac Championship Game. It's just holding the conference back. Just put the conference winners against each other in the SWAC/MEAC Challenge the following season and call it a day. Or schedule more SWAC vs MEAC games during the season. No need to make up a football game

Big Al
September 14th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I was replying to SCSt's stats against HBCU's. They haven't beaten a DI PWC in 10 years. 0-9 and that's not counting I-A losses.

There are lies, ****, lies and then there are statistics. What you say is 100% correct but it doesn't tell the whole story. SC State has been very competitive in some of those games. They've given App State a real test the last few years. If it weren't for regionalization, I suspect SC State might have a few playoff wins sprinkled in that run. Actually, I think the expansion of the FCS playoffs should tell us quite a bit about the true state of SC State and the MEAC.

Wouldn't it be interesting/cool if MEAC and the SWAC played the Legacy Bowl as part of the first round of the playoffs? I would think that would be a really nice way to include the HBCU conferences while still acknowledging their unique history in college athletics. Plus, I bet the MEAC & SWAC matchup would bring in a lot of people, which would translate into more $$$ for the playoffs.

WileECoyote06
September 14th, 2010, 04:44 PM
There are lies, ****, lies and then there are statistics. What you say is 100% correct but it doesn't tell the whole story. SC State has been very competitive in some of those games. They've given App State a real test the last few years. If it weren't for regionalization, I suspect SC State might have a few playoff wins sprinkled in that run. Actually, I think the expansion of the FCS playoffs should tell us quite a bit about the true state of SC State and the MEAC.

Wouldn't it be interesting/cool if MEAC and the SWAC played the Legacy Bowl as part of the first round of the playoffs? I would think that would be a really nice way to include the HBCU conferences while still acknowledging their unique history in college athletics. Plus, I bet the MEAC & SWAC matchup would bring in a lot of people, which would translate into more $$$ for the playoffs.

We've kicked this around on Onnidan.com already. The issue is that Grambling/Southern and Alabama State still would not be eligible to compete in the playoffs. In addition, it would be viewed as a play-in game; which the NCAA tries to avoid for basketball. Finally, we'd make more money than most other playoff matchups. The NCAA would swoop in and take their money; and believe me, our presidents would get involved when the pot is reduced.

So it's a good idea, but I'm not sure it's feasible.

Oh and I'm glad someone else recognizes how regionalization has affected us and the Ohio Valley conference.

Big Al
September 14th, 2010, 05:05 PM
We've kicked this around on Onnidan.com already. The issue is that Grambling/Southern and Alabama State still would not be eligible to compete in the playoffs. In addition, it would be viewed as a play-in game; which the NCAA tries to avoid for basketball. Finally, we'd make more money than most other playoff matchups. The NCAA would swoop in and take their money; and believe me, our presidents would get involved when the pot is reduced.

So it's a good idea, but I'm not sure it's feasible.

I think all of those concerns are surmountable with a little creative thinking. My first thought would be the conferences could guarantee the NCAA to pay somewhere between the average of all other equivalent round games or equal to the max paid, with the remainder going to the MEAC & SWAC. If they were playing for not only the mythical HBCU championship but also an overall championship, I suspect the game could easily draw 40,000+, which is well more than the top playoff schools draw now.

History has shown that the prior incarnation of the Legacy Bowl wasn't viable. From what I can tell, the SWAC championship is in decline, with attendance of just over 20,000 last year vs. over 30,000 in 2006. I can understand the presidents desire to protect the money they get from this game but it looks to me like a shrinking pot. Figuring out a creative way to combine a SWAC/MEAC matchup with the FCS playoffs strikes me as having a lot of upside compared to the present reality.