PDA

View Full Version : CSN: Shumway Writes Some FCS History For Cal Poly

CSN-info
September 12th, 2010, 10:21 AM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185&cid=18

Sometime during the second half of Saturday night's classic NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision encounter where Cal Poly beat No. 1-ranked Montana 35-33, I received an inspired message on my computer from, of all sources, a Delaware alumnus.

"This Doug Shumway kid reminds me of Ricky Santos," the Blue Hen fan moaned.

For those among you who are not FCS historians, my friend was referring to a 2004 season-opening game when Santos, a redshirt freshman who had been the fifth-string quarterback at New Hampshire that spring, replaced an injured Mike Granieri at quarterback and led the Wildcats to a stunning victory over top-ranked and defending national champion Delaware in his first college game.

Santos went on to become one of the greatest passers in FCS history, finishing as the runner-up for the Walter Payton Award in 2005 and the winner of the honor in 2006.

No one knows yet how Shumway's history will play out, but this baby-faced assassin had a similar start to his career on Saturday. He completed all three of his passes for 128 yards and two touchdowns and added 22 yards on the ground to engineer Cal Poly's first win over a No. 1-ranked team.

The Mustangs were unranked in both the AGS and Sports Network polls and were just 25th in the Coaches poll.

"It kind of hit me when the game was over," Shumway said of his accomplishment.

Read More... (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?234-Shumway-Writes-Some-FCS-History-For-Cal-Poly)

slostang
September 12th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I may be a little biased, but what an outstanding article. :)

ThreadStopper
September 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM

You are and it is!

malibudude
September 12th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Biased...please. No way. SloStang is just sharing a great literary piece with the community.

uofmman1122
September 12th, 2010, 02:55 PM
He burned us pretty bad twice, but I'd hold on anointing him as the next Ricky Santos. His second touchdown was beautiful, but it doesn't take Ricky Santos to throw a touchdown to a wide open receiver down field behind a defense that had committed to the run.

Grats on the win, though. I hope we get a chance to play you guys in the playoffs. xnodx

GreatAppSt
September 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM

Great win Slo. Kept me up till almost 1 am on a work night but worth it.

ExpandSpanos
September 12th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks Great AppSt..

Shumway is a very reserved, humble person. Appears to be very poised as well.. only a game can tell you that, practice won't. Hope to see more of him.

Also, deLancellotti, Moraga and Johnston should get more snaps.