PDA

View Full Version : TxSo, PVAMU Optimistic About FBS Upsets Today

TexasTerror
September 11th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Good luck to both teams. It is great to see some mention of FCS victories over FBS this year in stories about other FCS programs that will be knocking on the door.

Johnnie Cole - TSU coach - specifically mentions Jax State and Appalachian State. I'm a bit hesitant about Prairie View's chances without K.J. Black playing the whole game...

When was the last time the SWAC defeated a FBS (I-A) opponent? Mid to late 80s with some of Eddie Robinson's teams?

Today, Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M will have their shot at shocking the Football Bowl Subdivision establishment.

TSU will face Connecticut at 11 a.m. in East Hartford, Conn.; Prairie View will take on Southern Mississippi at 6 p.m. in Hattiesburg, Miss.

This is both teams' first foray into non-conference play before resuming their Southwestern Athletic Conference schedule next week- end. Prairie View knocked off TSU 16-14 in their season opener Sunday at Reliant Stadium.

Each will be sorely tested by today's opponents.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7195949.html

TexasTerror
September 11th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Well, Texas Southern came out flat... will be curious how PVAMU does...

Down 45-0 at the half. UConn has 288 yards of total offense to 56 by TSU. Seems like the defensive line is not sturdy. Remember the Ark State game? UConn has one guy doing the same - 15 carries for 151 yards. UConn average 6.7 yards per carry.

Syntax Error
September 11th, 2010, 01:00 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7195949.html

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?73723-TxSo-PVAMU-Optimistic-About-FBS-Upsets-Today

Sonic98
September 14th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I'm pretty sure both teams were hearing the talk about Jacksonville State and about FCS chances against FBS competition this season, and they decided to come out fired up ans ready to play. I give both TSU and PV credit for actually scheduling non-conference games against tough opponents sometimes, which is more than I can say for the folks over at Jackson State. You can't even get them to schedule any tough FCS opponents

Big Al
September 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I'm pretty sure both teams were hearing the talk about Jacksonville State and about FCS chances against FBS competition this season, and they decided to come out fired up ans ready to play. I give both TSU and PV credit for actually scheduling non-conference games against tough opponents sometimes, which is more than I can say for the folks over at Jackson State. You can't even get them to schedule any tough FCS opponents

I believe Jackson State's strategy this year is to be confused with Jacksonville State.

TexasTerror
September 14th, 2010, 06:30 PM

The problem is the new scheduling mandate in the SWAC is going to negatively impact the SWAC's ability to build a solid schedule. Due to the financial problems, which are worsening for the Louisiana and Mississippi schools, we'll probably see an FBS game, if not two...

3rd Coast Tiger
September 14th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I'm confused... wasn't Sam Houston optimistic of the trip to Waco to upset the FBS Bears? I'm just saying.

TexasTerror
September 15th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I'm confused... wasn't Sam Houston optimistic of the trip to Waco to upset the FBS Bears? I'm just saying.

Not many made predictions, but the few that did were pretty consistent....

Baylor 42-17
Baylor 56-10

SHSU knew we had a new coach and a QB incapable of doing much damage offensively. In years' past, there was some legitimate chances at beating FBS schools and we have twice defeated FBS since we turned from the 1990s to the 2000s (that's two more than the SWAC since what the mid 1980s?).