VMI
at Liberty

Liberty
at VMI

9/3 at UNC
at Liberty

bodoyle
January 25th, 2006, 02:08 PM
9/22 2007 I will get my car tuned up right now for the 711.62 mile one-way roadtrip and call for reservations at a local roach motel. :nod:

th0m
January 25th, 2006, 02:41 PM
You'll have a great time, I'm sure! Where are you coming from, if I may ask? The trip from Conway to Harrisonburg is only 455 miles.

blur2005
January 25th, 2006, 04:08 PM
9/22 2007 I will get my car tuned up right now for the 711.62 mile one-way roadtrip and call for reservations at a local roach motel. :nod:
There is an abundance of hotels and motels in Harrisonburg. You should have no trouble finding one.

OL FU
January 25th, 2006, 04:11 PM
You'll have a great time, I'm sure! Where are you coming from, if I may ask? The trip from Conway to Harrisonburg is only 455 miles.

It will be longer for him. He is going to have to run laps around Paladin stadium on his way to Harrisonburg :p

JMU Duke Dog
January 25th, 2006, 04:15 PM
There is an abundance of hotels and motels in Harrisonburg. You should have no trouble finding one.

Exactly blur2005. Here is a link that will help: http://www.jmu.edu/parents/accomodations.shtml

th0m
January 25th, 2006, 04:28 PM
It will be longer for him. He is going to have to run laps around Paladin stadium on his way to Harrisonburg :p

Hahah, I forgot about that :p But you know, it might be easier to do that at Bridgeforth stadium, we still have part of the track around the turf. As long as you don't mind running a bit through the APC ;)

http://www.jmusports.com/Facilities/images/bridgeforth.jpg

Mr. C
January 25th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Got to love that season opener with Bloomsburg. Why do teams schedule games like that?

What happened to Appalachian State's proposed trip to James Madison this season?

JMU Duke Dog
January 25th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Hahah, I forgot about that :p But you know, it might be easier to do that at Bridgeforth stadium, we still have part of the track around the turf. As long as you don't mind running a bit through the APC ;)

http://www.jmusports.com/Facilities/images/bridgeforth.jpg

Actually in the same article as the first post the field could be different by 2006. They are suppose to install FieldTurf this summer hopefully so it will be interesting to see what they plan on doing with the track. I know there were plans for the JMU logo at midfield.

When the Huskies get to Bridgeforth, there might be a new playing surface – FieldTurf, which uses a mix of silica sand and cryogenic rubber and a layering process to emulate natural grass. Twenty-one NFL teams either play or practice on FieldTurf, as do many Canadian Football League and college teams.

James Madison athletic director Jeff Bourne said Tuesday he is "optimistic" the school will install a new surface this summer.

JMU Duke Dog
January 25th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Got to love that season opener with Bloomsburg. Why do teams schedule games like that?

What happened to Appalachian State's proposed trip to James Madison this season?

The Appalachian State series fell apart when it came down to the return game in Boone. JMU already had its 2007 nonconference opponents finalized and would have had to wait until 2008 to return. I had heard that Appalachian State wanted the return game in 2007.

Also, right or wrong, based on what seems to be their philosophy I think the JMU athletic administrators would be hesitant to schedule both a I-A and a very tough I-AA in the same season for nonconference opponents on top of the A10 slate.

th0m
January 25th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Actually in the same article as the first post the field could be different by 2006. They are suppose to install FieldTurf this summer hopefully so it will be interesting to see what they plan on doing with the track. I know there were plans for the JMU logo at midfield.

True, I forgot about that :D It would also mean the end of our not-so-famous crown ;)

bodoyle
January 25th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I would be huffing it from my home in Chicago. The windy city. Chitown.

I will have nothing to do with Verman :p this year, you guys are coming to Conway I thought???

SochorField
January 26th, 2006, 12:24 AM
What does CAA stand for?

th0m
January 26th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Colonial Athletic Association. It is the league in which Delaware, JMU, W&M, Towson, Hofstra, N'eastern plus 6 basketball schools (VCU, GMU, ODU, Drexel, UNC-Wilmington, Georgia State) compete for all sports other than football. In 2007 the A-10 Football league will change in name only to the CAA. With ODU adding football and joining in 2009 though, many think there will be a shake-up in the conference as we know it now.

blukeys
January 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM
right or wrong, based on what seems to be their philosophy I think the JMU athletic administrators would be hesitant to schedule both a I-A and a very tough I-AA in the same season for nonconference opponents on top of the A10 slate.

More of a Mickey Matthews attitude than the administrators. There were articles this year that Matthews was annoyed with the AD regarding the scheduling of upcoming ACC money games. Especially since he was not consulted just informed.

I personally think Matthews is right (throw the hat!!!) The A-10 south becomes more of a mine field every year and the goal is to win an NC. Not win the prize for toughest schedule. :cool:

th0m
January 26th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Yep. Unfortunately, not only do we have a I-A this season (albeit a beatable one on paper) we also have a DII. Granted, we also had a I-A (and not a beatable one, namelijk WVU) and a DII (Lock Haven) the year we won the NC. A lot of things happened in the final minutes of a lot of games, and as we witnessed this year, sometimes it doesn't work out the right way. Better to have some extra wins under our belts than to have to rely on an unblemished A-10 performance. Although, if we were to beat 3 OOC I-AA patsies and in turn lose a few more A-10 games, then that will do no good to our playoff hopes. In the end we'll have to do good in the A-10 games, or we won't go anywhere. Beating a Marshall could be a huge confindence builder, but if we lose, I don't think it will affect us a whole lot (except for possible njuries that might occur - god forbid -).

mainejeff
January 26th, 2006, 09:41 PM
What does CAA stand for?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Exactly.

blukeys
January 26th, 2006, 10:22 PM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Exactly.

MJ what is your problem with the CAA taking over from the A-10? You have been negative about the change but for Maine the change is in name only. Maine will play all the same teams they have played for the last 5 years. Maine is in the Northern Division and within that division the longest trip is to Hempstead. In the South the longest trip is to Virginia . You only get 2 southern trips a year. Only one of which must go to Virginia. Gateway teams travel that distance every year!!! :nod:

Maine is not an A-10 team in any other sport other than football. The CAA group has yet to run the conference for a single season yet you already yearn for the good old days of Linda Bruno and the A-10!!!

You whine and gripe about the CAA a group that has yet to administer a single game. What has the A-10 done for you lately??????????

If you really wanted a Northern Football Conference why did Maine not Lobby hard for America East to take over Yankee Football? The America East was handed a goose that laid golden eggs and then passed. When expansion was proposed that included football in 2000 did Maine step up. No, Instead the AE let the Hartfords and Vermonts dictate to the football schools what the conference would look like.

Delaware wanted to stay in the AE with football but certain football schools let the Hartfords and Vermonts tell them how to run a conference. When UD realized that the AE would not be an all sport conference that would include football, they left. Football is the biggest sport at Delaware. Please tell me why football schools such as UD should have their athletic fate determined by schools like Hartford U?????????? And why did Maine wuss out?????

When are the football schools of the America East Conference going to realize that they are being screwed by the baskeball only schools? Solid rivalries in ALL MAJOR SPORTS are the ingredients that make for success in athletic programs. I have given my solution. Let the lame brained basketball only schools of the AEand CAA merge and let the football schools merge in an all sports conference.

MJ you have let your hatred of UD blind you to the fact that the CAA has more potential to help football programs such as Maine's than the A-10.

If I have missed something please explain to me how Linda Bruno and the A-10 have advanced the prospects of Maine Football. I am on pins and needles waiting to hear this........... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TxSt02
January 27th, 2006, 12:56 AM
MJ you have let your hatred of UD blind you to the fact that the CAA has more potential to help football programs such as Maine's than the A-10.

Im ignorant to this whole transition. Please let me know how the CAA has more potential than the A-10.

1. I personally think that the A-10 has a more marketable name. Is this why they did it from the beginning?

however...

2. Will the CAA help more since they will be running it now and have more skin in the game? I could just see the A-10 not trying as hard since they have just what 3 or 4 teams?

Is any of the above true? Thanks!

JMU2004
January 27th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Im ignorant to this whole transition. Please let me know how the CAA has more potential than the A-10.

1. I personally think that the A-10 has a more marketable name. Is this why they did it from the beginning?

however...

2. Will the CAA help more since they will be running it now and have more skin in the game? I could just see the A-10 not trying as hard since they have just what 3 or 4 teams?

I'll leave this to others to answer......Just realize the A-10 has done NOTHING to promote football. Linda Bruno sucks

Changing to the CAA will reap large benefits for UD, JMU, and W&M

Sly Fox
January 27th, 2006, 07:35 AM
4 straight seasons of JMU-LU ... that's fantastic for us old schoolers who remeber what a great series we used to have back int he day. By the time we get it rolling in '08 I have a feeling this will turn out to be great scheduling.

As for the cracks about our attendance, I seem to remember you guys didn't exact break the bank at the gate back when you guys were in your program's downswing. We've stunk now for the last 5 years or so. But we have reason to believe we're turning that around. We're certainly investing in the program right now.

GannonFan
January 27th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I'll leave this to others to answer......Just realize the A-10 has done NOTHING to promote football. Linda Bruno sucks

Changing to the CAA will reap large benefits for UD, JMU, and W&M

Agreed - the A10 was simply a caretaker for the league when they decided to give up administrative responsibility for the league when the Yankee Conference name went away. Ideally, being called the A10 was supposed to be more visible since there was a significant cachet with that name due to the basketball side - however, the A10 conference never went far enough to promote football and actually seemed to be annoyed that they had football in the conference. I'm sure the fact that the majority of teams playing football in the A10 had other conference affiliations for other sports played a huge role - the CAA is certainly better than the A10 in most sponsored sports, and the AEast isn't far behind the A10 in most other sports either. Plus, the A10 basketball side has probably been more concerned with the changes in basketball over the past few years and how teams moving conferences would affect them - basketball was and still is the A10's biggest revenue sport, they're just looking after what they think is more important.

Moving to the CAA will mean moving to a conference that has a vested interest in seeing football grow and succeed. In reality, it may not make much of a difference especially at the IAA level, but it can't hurt and it may save a little money in the long run. As a UD fan, I'm not expecting any earth-shattering changes.

th0m
January 27th, 2006, 08:53 AM
4 straight seasons of JMU-LU ... that's fantastic for us old schoolers who remeber what a great series we used to have back int he day. By the time we get it rolling in '08 I have a feeling this will turn out to be great scheduling.

As for the cracks about our attendance, I seem to remember you guys didn't exact break the bank at the gate back when you guys were in your program's downswing. We've stunk now for the last 5 years or so. But we have reason to believe we're turning that around. We're certainly investing in the program right now.

I agree on the JMU-LU series, its nice to have an innerstate OOC game. And I think it will indeed get even better if Liberty is improving like you say it will. I am still a young 'un, so I have only seen the JMU vs. Liberty games that were a bit lopsided, so I hope to see a good balance in the future :)

blur2005
January 27th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Basically, the CAA kicks ass, while the A-10 sucks...well, the other side. Anyway, the CAA actually will care about the football, since half the members will actually be playing all their major sports in the CAA, unlike the A-10, where only UMass, Rhode Island, and Richmond are members of the A-10 for all sports. Richmond, of course, WAS in the CAA, but had a very ugly exit from the conference, which, when the formation of a new CAA football conference was happening, was talked of as a possible reason Richmond might've been prevented from joining. But thankfully that didn't happen. However, it makes me wonder if Richmond and Nova could exit for the Patriot League in football when ODU joins, along with someone else, in the CAA to keep it at 12 teams.

blukeys
January 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM
However, it makes me wonder if Richmond and Nova could exit for the Patriot League in football when ODU joins, along with someone else, in the CAA to keep it at 12 teams.

This is constantly speculated but I don't think this is as big a deal as everyone assumes. I think the Georgia State football move is far from a foregone conclusion and George Mason's administration appears hostile to the football idea. Richmond and Nova fit the PL profile but will not make any move until the PL offers schollies. That is a few years off even with Colgate13's influence.

Richmond and Nova will make a decision based on their own interests. If the CAA does a good job of promoting it's football product, I think both schools stay. If the CAA does a Linda Bruno type job then I can't blame them for leaving for greener pastures.

Nova has been increasing it's Pl football links with OOC games with Lehigh. Travel costs for Nova would be the same or better then the CAA.
Richmond on the other hand would be giving up conference affiliations with 3 other VA. Schools (when ODU joins) Richmond's travel costs would increase in the PL and traditional rivalries would now be OOC. I don't see this as a winner for Richmond.

I really want to see the current lineup stay for a while. I like the rivalries with the non CAA schools and I hope the CAA does a good job for all of the football schools.

mainejeff
January 28th, 2006, 12:22 PM

however...

You hit the nail on the head.

I have no problem with the CAA administering football operations. They WILL do a better job than the A-10. My ribbing of the CAA comes from its fans (check out www.caazone.com/boards) who artificially inflate the importance, marketability, and name recognition of the conference. They've been yapping about football for the last 5 years......it becomes tiresome after a while.