PDA

View Full Version : Montanan verbals to Harvard..

putter
January 25th, 2006, 09:48 AM
This kid is a good one.
http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?display=rednews/2006/01/25/build/sports/80-glance.inc

Ivytalk
January 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Outstanding! :hurray: :hurray:

One of the brainiest guys in my Harvard class was a Missoula native. Despite his impressive capacity for Lucky Lager, he graduated Phi Beta Kappa !

Bub
January 25th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Both of my latin teachers in college were from Missoula!

bandl
January 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Both of my latin teachers in college were from Missoula!

You took latin???....in college??????

Have you ever seen the movie "P.C.U."?

grizband
January 25th, 2006, 10:25 AM
This kid was all-state at 4 different positions (WR, CB, Punter, and Punt Returner), and is the top student in a class of 507 in Billings. His high school team won the state championship this year in the highest classification in Montana (AA - similar to AAAA in most other states).

Bub
January 25th, 2006, 10:40 AM
You took latin???....in college??????

Have you ever seen the movie "P.C.U."?

Yea, but the only things I remember are how to paraphrase the DesCarte statement, "Cogito ergo sum" (I think therefore I am), eg "****io ergo sum", =I **** therefore I am, and "Mortuus in aqua"= Dead in the Water. :)

Don't know P.C. U.

crunifan
January 25th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I've never met anyone from Missoula...or Montana actually.

th0m
January 25th, 2006, 11:56 AM
I met a girl from Montana who also went to UM on a high-speed train to Paris, of all places. I was like wtf! This as after we beat them in the NC game. She seemed to take it well though ;)

Pard4Life
January 25th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I am friends with someone from Lafayette who is from Kalispell... from what she says it is nothing short of awesome and is constantly doing outdoor stuff like skiing, camping, water skiiing... even met Phil Jackson up there. Missoula is nice too from what I hear. My best friend's sister goes to Montana for grad school and I made him go to the Cal Poly game. He loved it despite the cold an everyone was very loud.. and he goes to Georgia Tech games often.

CatFan22
January 25th, 2006, 12:21 PM
This kid was all-state at 4 different positions (WR, CB, Punter, and Punt Returner), and is the top student in a class of 507 in Billings. His high school team won the state championship this year in the highest classification in Montana (AA - similar to AAAA in most other states).

I think it would be AAAAA in most states. I know if his high school was in Texas, it would be a AAAAA school. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is a high school over 2000 students is considered AAAAA.

Anyway, congratulations to Chris from a BWHS alumn for his accomplishments and good luck to him in the future.

grizband
January 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I think it would be AAAAA in most states. I know if his high school was in Texas, it would be a AAAAA school. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is a high school over 2000 students is considered AAAAA.

Anyway, congratulations to Chris from a BWHS alumn for his accomplishments and good luck to him in the future.
You are right CatFan, although I don't think most states have AAAAA classification (Texas even has a 6A), which is why I put most. AA in MT is like AAAA/AAAAAA depending on which state you are in.

catbob
January 25th, 2006, 04:38 PM
That is a lot of As, which he will also be gettin at Harvard. :)

CatFan22
January 25th, 2006, 05:37 PM
:lmao:

grizband
January 25th, 2006, 05:52 PM
:beerchug: :lmao: :lmao:

kalm
January 25th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Don't let all this Montana glorification fool ya. A friend of mine who traveled to Australia told of his disappointment with the locals in the outback. Apparently they were just a bunch of rednecks with a cool accent. Same goes for Montana folks, a bunch of rednecks surrounded by untold natural beauty. :) Like they had something to do with it :rolleyes:

Tailbone
January 26th, 2006, 12:42 AM
..... a bunch of rednecks surrounded by untold natural beauty. :) Like they had something to do with it :rolleyes:

Yeah, but we're smart enough to be here rather than Spo-compton. xazzx

JoltinJoe
January 26th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Yea, but the only things I remember are how to paraphrase the DesCarte statement, "Cogito ergo sum" (I think therefore I am), eg "****io ergo sum", =I **** therefore I am, and "Mortuus in aqua"= Dead in the Water. :)

Don't know P.C. U.

Ubi, oh, ubi es mea sub ubi?

Fedim clam scit. :smiley_wi

SunCoastBlueHen
January 26th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Is that Latin or your best Mushmouth (Fat Albert cartoons) impression?

AZGrizFan
January 26th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Don't let all this Montana glorification fool ya. A friend of mine who traveled to Australia told of his disappointment with the locals in the outback. Apparently they were just a bunch of rednecks with a cool accent. Same goes for Montana folks, a bunch of rednecks surrounded by untold natural beauty. :) Like they had something to do with it :rolleyes:

As opposed to the rednecks in Eastern Washington surrounded by some of the most God-forsaken country this side of the Mississippi. kalm--at least we have the scenery to fall back on!

Moses Lake? Moses Lake? Did somebody say Moses Lake?

JoltinJoe
January 26th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Is that Latin or your best Mushmouth (Fat Albert cartoons) impression?

It's Latin when I write it, but Mushmouth when I say it. :)

Tod
January 26th, 2006, 11:11 PM
As opposed to the rednecks in Eastern Washington surrounded by some of the most God-forsaken country this side of the Mississippi. kalm--at least we have the scenery to fall back on!

Moses Lake looks like a deep mudpuddle. I'm not sure how you could know where you're going on that lake, since there ain't ***** to see past the shore other than dust-devils.

Thank God for I-90 (just barely above the plane) or a lot of our EWU brethren would never be heard from again.

:D :D xlolx xlolx

Bub
January 26th, 2006, 11:44 PM

Fedim clam scit. :smiley_wi

JJ you're kill'in me here. Is this going to be covered on the test? :)

First one, Dude where's my car? :)

Second one, We know the special secret?

This is as bad as reading Catulus. How the ****** was to I know that the ancient hiberians were known for brushing their teeth with urine and their land possessed an extremely high number of hares? :)

Time for another scotch. ubi caritas

kalm
January 27th, 2006, 01:27 AM

http://library.byways.org/display.php/02PeeWee%20Falls-Metaline(200px).jpg?ID=51306

http://library.byways.org/display.php/Hikers_Cover_04(200px).jpg?ID=47256

http://www.strengthinperspective.com/mpcompel/mpgal16/webpix/Palouse_Falls.jpg

http://www.murrayco.com/bdm_photo/moscow_mtn_rock_creek.jpg

Yeah, I sure wish we had some scenery here in Eastern Washington :)

But I'm just giving my Montana brothers a hard time. We have our share of toothless hill folk around here as well. And when it comes to scenic beauty, it's tough to beat Big Sky Country :nod:

Grizo406
January 27th, 2006, 03:09 AM
And when it comes to scenic beauty, it's tough to beat Big Sky Country :nod:

That it is, kalm, that it is!

I remember standing on pols' (the cranky, know nothing old a$$hole that use to post here back in the day, and never really said dick) back porch at last year's Griz Spring scrimmage "after party"...absolute supreme view of Flathead Lake, and the Mission Mountain range...aaahhh...Good Times!

I've yet to see anything prettier, and I get to look at it every single day, and am more than thankful...toothless or not!
http://www.polsonchamber.com/mss/2.jpg :nod: :nod: :nod: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :hurray:

JoltinJoe
January 27th, 2006, 05:54 AM
JJ you're kill'in me here. Is this going to be covered on the test? :)

First one, Dude where's my car? :)

Second one, We know the special secret?

This is as bad as reading Catulus. How the ****** was to I know that the ancient hiberians were known for brushing their teeth with urine and their land possessed an extremely high number of hares? :)

Time for another scotch. ubi caritas

First one translates roughly as "Where, oh, where is my underwear?" It is sort of bastardized Latin, as "sub ubi" isn't really a Latin word. "Sub" obviously means under, and "ubi" means "where." "Sub ubi" = "under where."

Second one, you got it. And the special secret is that the "c" is pronounced as an "h." So you can say "scit" in front of your parents and when they get mad, you just tell those uneducated simpletons that you are speaking Latin.. Also, the phrase is spoken as "feed 'em clam *****."

I can still hear myself telling my mom: "Don't yell at me for saying this. You wanted me to learn Latin." Friggin' brat that I was.

This stuff is too funny to a 13-year old. Of course, if my kids ever pull this on me, I'll beat them silly. :asswhip: Actually, that is what my kind father should have done to me.

Just affirming your point that it is funny about what sticks with you after studying a language. I studied French too and the French phrase that pops into my head first thing is "Mangez merde et mourez." (This the formal, "polite" way of saying it."). :smiley_wi

All kidding aside, my kids are going to study Latin. Really helps you
understand word derivations and makes learning another Romance language a breeze.

AZGrizFan
January 27th, 2006, 09:43 AM
http://library.byways.org/display.php/02PeeWee%20Falls-Metaline(200px).jpg?ID=51306

http://library.byways.org/display.php/Hikers_Cover_04(200px).jpg?ID=47256

http://www.strengthinperspective.com/mpcompel/mpgal16/webpix/Palouse_Falls.jpg

http://www.murrayco.com/bdm_photo/moscow_mtn_rock_creek.jpg

Yeah, I sure wish we had some scenery here in Eastern Washington :)

But I'm just giving my Montana brothers a hard time. We have our share of toothless hill folk around here as well. And when it comes to scenic beauty, it's tough to beat Big Sky Country :nod:

OK kalm. While #3 could have been taken anywhere along the Columbia River Gorge, and #4 definitely looks like the Palouse I spent three long years in during college, #'s 1 & 2 look like either Montana or WESTERN Washington. Fess up now, what are 1 & 2 pictures of? They sure as hell don't look like anything East of Snoqualmie Pass that I've ever seen..... :confused:

kalm
January 27th, 2006, 10:05 AM
OK kalm. While #3 could have been taken anywhere along the Columbia River Gorge, and #4 definitely looks like the Palouse I spent three long years in during college, #'s 1 & 2 look like either Montana or WESTERN Washington. Fess up now, what are 1 & 2 pictures of? They sure as hell don't look like anything East of Snoqualmie Pass that I've ever seen..... :confused:

#1 is Pee Wee falls located near the Eastern Washington town of Metaline Falls and Boundary Dam. #2 is the Selkirk mountains in the same area of Northeast Washington. # 3 is the Palouse River falls south of the Moses Lake area. #4 is the northern Palouse just immediately south of Spokane. All are within a couple hours drive of Spokane and EWU's campus in Cheney. :)

And yeah, you can call it "SpoKompton", but have you seen downtown Missoula lately? Not exactly happenin. :p

http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/ghostsmt/bannack36.jpg

GrizFoo
January 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Where did you get that recent photo of Missoula Kalm? I can just make out the corner of the new Wal-Mart in the distance. :D

AZGrizFan
January 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
#1 is Pee Wee falls located near the Eastern Washington town of Metaline Falls and Boundary Dam. #2 is the Selkirk mountains in the same area of Northeast Washington. # 3 is the Palouse River falls south of the Moses Lake area. #4 is the northern Palouse just immediately south of Spokane. All are within a couple hours drive of Spokane and EWU's campus in Cheney. :)

And yeah, you can call it "SpoKompton", but have you seen downtown Missoula lately? Not exactly happenin. :p

http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/ghostsmt/bannack36.jpg

Ahhhh. See, I make it a point NEVER to go North of Spokane. And lets be honest, I'm sure the boundary makers REALLY meant for that Northeastern portion of Washington to actually be in Idaho..... :nod: :nod: :nod:

Seriously though, I never knew. All you see is the ugliness from I-90 as you're cruising through @ 85 mph.... xpumpukex xpumpukex xpumpukex

catbob
January 27th, 2006, 04:15 PM
PCU is a funny movie, as anything with Jeremy Piven is.