PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever wonder.....

SIUallDay
September 8th, 2010, 10:36 PM
...if FCS schools will re-join with FBS schools in the future like it was before the D-I divide in 1970's? Do you think it could be possible? Why, or why not?

TheBisonator
September 8th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I don't think so, because of the scholarship disparities. Either FBS programs will have to decrease their scholly max of 85, or the FCS schools that have 63 will all have to add a bunch. And then there's Title IX to think about.

SIUallDay
September 8th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I don't think so, because of the scholarship disparities. Either FBS programs will have to decrease their scholly max of 85, or the FCS schools that have 63 will all have to add a bunch. And then there's Title IX to think about.

Yeah, I think it would take alot too.....the FBS schools are obviously more flexible because alot of them have more money that FCS schools, so they'd have to cut scholarships. I'd decrease the scholarships from 85 to like 60 or 70....85 is alot...

TheValleyRaider
September 9th, 2010, 12:04 AM
The only way it's likely to happen is if the BCS schools break away from the NCAA. Then you might see some attempt to rectify the scholarship numbers, or a complete conference reshuffling and subsequent re-drawing of the FBS bottom line

Though a BCS secession would qualify as NCAA armageddon, so I'm not really convinced that it would happen, but that's probably what it would take to see a real radical change in the FBS/FCS structure

Gil Dobie
September 9th, 2010, 01:20 AM
The only way it's likely to happen is if the BCS schools break away from the NCAA. Then you might see some attempt to rectify the scholarship numbers, or a complete conference reshuffling and subsequent re-drawing of the FBS bottom line

Though a BCS secession would qualify as NCAA armageddon, so I'm not really convinced that it would happen, but that's probably what it would take to see a real radical change in the FBS/FCS structure

Wasn't the old College Division all the non-BSC schools minus the Ivy's.

SalukiJim
September 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I certainly hope not..Every now and then, at public meetings with the SIU AD, somebody always asks this. We have a tough enough time competing with the great schools in FCS, I do not look forward to going back to the days as a child when I'd read about SIU getting beat 73-7 by Oklahoma State!

SIUallDay
September 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I certainly hope not..Every now and then, at public meetings with the SIU AD, somebody always asks this. We have a tough enough time competing with the great schools in FCS, I do not look forward to going back to the days as a child when I'd read about SIU getting beat 73-7 by Oklahoma State!

Times are changing now. These days alot of FCS schools have quality programs and facilities that help them get good recruits and transfers. FCS already fights FBS for some recruits, and sometimes we even sign a few of them; 3 and 4 star guys. This would only increase if the two sub-divisions re-joined. FCS isn't like how it used to be, and the top portion of schools can hang with alot of FBS schools these days. You factor in that both schools have near the same amount of scholarships, and I don't even think that type of 70-0 blowout would happen unless one school was just totally superior to the other.

NoCoDanny
September 9th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I dount it unless it's a very issolated and unique situation because, right or wrong, moving down would be considered a step backwards and a PR nightmare. A university's football program is their marketing department like it or not and any perception that they can't compete at a higher level is an indictment on that university as a whole.

So simply put, due to pride it won't happen.

darell1976
September 9th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Can we have a 64 team playoff like March Madness.xlolx

ur2k
September 9th, 2010, 07:54 PM
To the OP, its a great question. You do get the feeling that there's not a huge gap between lower level FBS teams and FCS teams. The BCS-level schools is another story.

SalukiJim
September 9th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Times are changing now. These days alot of FCS schools have quality programs and facilities that help them get good recruits and transfers. FCS already fights FBS for some recruits, and sometimes we even sign a few of them; 3 and 4 star guys. This would only increase if the two sub-divisions re-joined. FCS isn't like how it used to be, and the top portion of schools can hang with alot of FBS schools these days. You factor in that both schools have near the same amount of scholarships, and I don't even think that type of 70-0 blowout would happen unless one school was just totally superior to the other.

Well, having grown up in Jackson county in the 70's (when 3-8 was a very good season), I certainly have seen first hand how much the revenue difference accounts for on-the-field success. Remember Carbondale is not in that highly populated of an area, and is not rich in corporate HQ's. I know times have changed, but to me the almight $ rules even more now than it did 30 years ago.

I think FCS is a perfect fit...we can't all be Ohio States. Look at Western KY, used to be in our conference and is now a bottom-dweller in the worst FBS conference around (going by preseason rankings, I think 7 of the bottom 11 teams in the entire FBS are from the Sun Belt with the highest ranked team something like 94th). I'd rather have a chance at success against similar schools than fighting to get that 4th win in late November.

For instance, my senior year was 1981, the year before SIU went I-AA (as it was called). Going in to Faner hall on a rainy November day, you could see about 500 people in the stands for the last game of the season over at the Mac. Fast forward a couple of years, we're in the playoffs, and the place is packed. You couldn't even get out to Pinch Penny at halftime to ,er, 'reload'. Not that I actually tried that...

tribefan40
September 9th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Can we have a 64 team playoff like March Madness.xlolx

That would be the most glorious six weeks of the year xnodx

gophoenix
September 10th, 2010, 07:45 AM

I disagree, to combine, you wouldn't have them drop or us raise. Look at FCS. You have lots of Full Scholarship programs, a group of halfies in the NEC, nons in the Pioneer, and schools in between. When UTM made the playoffs, none one seemed to care that they only offer 48 scholarships that year.

Combining the two and leaving them at 85, and others at less only makes the playing field drastically different. But, really, that's no different than basketball, baseball, hockey, lacrosse or any other sport where most non-BCS level schools do not offer a full compliment of scholarships allowed.

For some reason, football is the only one treated, on a national level, differently.

NHwildEcat
September 10th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I wonder if a scenario could unfold where the BCS schools made up their own division, where it is strictly BCS conferences and schools and the remaining FBS & FCS schools all combined to form the new D-1? I guess you would have to sell the lower tier FBS schools on the playoff system. I know some of them enjoy their ****ty bowl games but if they coudl only see the financial gain in a playoffs system they may be more likely to be accepting of this move.

Just a thought...

SalukiJim
September 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I wonder if a scenario could unfold where the BCS schools made up their own division, where it is strictly BCS conferences and schools and the remaining FBS & FCS schools all combined to form the new D-1? I guess you would have to sell the lower tier FBS schools on the playoff system. I know some of them enjoy their ****ty bowl games but if they coudl only see the financial gain in a playoffs system they may be more likely to be accepting of this move.

Just a thought...

That is the best idea ever, let's call the BCS ones what it really is - NFL D-League (like the NBDL in hoops)xlolx