at Missouri State. (Sept. 30)
Indiana State (Oct. 7)
at Western Illinois (Oct. 14),
Northern Iowa (Oct. 21)
at Illinois State (Oct. 28),
Southern Illinois (Nov. 4)
at Western Kentucky (Nov. 11).
looks pretty good

Penn St, Maine and Davis are definetly a step up from Pitt, Liberty, and N'eastern

FlyYtown
January 24th, 2006, 09:03 PM
O How Nice. The two teams fans in the Title think they can down any school and their schedule. How nice?

TxSt02
January 24th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I think Slippery Rock would be a good draw for us... A lot of people know of them compared to some of the best teams in I-AA... It always comes across as the King of "cheese ****" schools... Good call on the ADs part...

==Edited. This is a family board please refrain from adult language==

Chi Panther
January 24th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I understand that slippery rock is DII and that is why everyone loves to make fun of YSU playing them....but there is some serious tradition there and the schools are extremely close.

This schedule is a HUGE improvement.....8-3 with this schedule and they WILL make the playoffs.

mainejeff
January 24th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I like the Youngstown State game for Maine. I find it hard to believe that this is not a home and home as reported by someone on the Youngstown message board though. Wasn't Youngstown scheduled to play AT Maine in 2005 before the Pitt game was arranged? If it is a 1 game deal, does anyone know how much Maine is being paid?

FlyYtown
January 24th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I understand that slippery rock is DII and that is why everyone loves to make fun of YSU playing them....but there is some serious tradition there and the schools are extremely close.

This schedule is a HUGE improvement.....8-3 with this schedule and they WILL make the playoffs.

Don't be too sure of that. And the ROCK-YSU; Tradition? Well maybe in mens b-ball and football we are the home openers each year; but they are gone in 2007!

Anyways its a major schedule improvement and with the exception of PSU; every game is winnable and every win is drastically better than last year.

Chi Panther
January 24th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Don't be too sure of that. And the ROCK-YSU; Tradition? Well maybe in mens b-ball and football we are the home openers each year; but they are gone in 2007!

Just trying to help YSU out chief.....YSU has played them the past 3 schedules......my memory must be pretty poor becuase I thought YSU had played them prior to that as well......

FlyYtown
January 24th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Just trying to help YSU out chief.....YSU has played them the past 3 schedules......my memory must be pretty poor becuase I thought YSU had played them prior to that as well......
I beleive 11 times since 1991.
Maine it is a one year thing. I don't know how much we are paying you but it should be no problem, we are getting 350k from PSU.

GoGuins
January 25th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I still don't like the DII on the schedule but what are you going to do, most I-AA's play them. Quality opponents like Maine & UC Davis should help YSU get ready for GFC play. UC Davis has a lot returning and they will be tough to beat.

I may actually try to make the trip to Happy Valley, about a 5 hr drive from Ytown.

wannabegaucho
January 25th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Pengiun fans -

Why aren't the Penguins giving UC Davis a return date? I don't think that is fair. :(

Is it because we're on the west coast?

GoGuins
January 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Article from Youngstown Vindicator

YSU 2006 schedule (http://www.vindy.com/content/sports/local_regional/292287638526642.php)

The Penguins missed out on a berth in the I-AA playoffs last season despite having eight victories (seven against I-AA) and many people believe that it was because of playing a Division II team.

"It's not like we're not trying," said Strollo. "We called every Division I-AA non-scholarship team in the country and offered some very aggressive financial packages at them, but there were no takers."

Cap'n Cat
January 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Slippery Rock Win
Maine Loss
at Penn State Loss
UC-Davis Loss
at Missouri State Loss
Indiana State Win
at Western Illinois Loss
Northern Iowa Whaddayou think?
at Illinois State Loss
Southern Illinois Loss
at Western Kentucky Loss

2-9, a year into the five year MAC membership probation window............

No smack, just my take on the season.

ysubigred
January 25th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Slippery Rock Win
Maine Loss
at Penn State Loss
UC-Davis Loss
at Missouri State Loss
Indiana State Win
at Western Illinois Loss
Northern Iowa Whaddayou think?
at Illinois State Loss
Southern Illinois Loss
at Western Kentucky Loss

2-9, a year into the five year MAC membership probation window............

No smack, just my take on the season.

Slippery Rock WIN
Maine WIN
Penn State WIN
UC-Davis WIN
at Missouri State WIN
Indiana State Win
at Western Illinois WIN
Northern Iowa Whaddayou think? WIN DUH!!
at Illinois State WIN
Southern Illinois WIN
at Western Kentucky WIN

:hyped: Hey BIll!! Strange? I have UNI at 2-9 also :asswhip:

xprost2x

bandl
January 25th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Slippery Rock WIN
Maine WIN
Penn State WIN
UC-Davis WIN
at Missouri State WIN
Indiana State Win
at Western Illinois WIN
at Illinois State WIN
Southern Illinois WIN
at Western Kentucky WIN

xprost2x

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Cap'n Cat
January 25th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Slippery Rock WIN
Maine WIN
Penn State WIN
UC-Davis WIN
at Missouri State WIN
Indiana State Win
at Western Illinois WIN
at Illinois State WIN
Southern Illinois WIN
at Western Kentucky WIN

xprost2x

:o

xazzx

Pard4Life
January 25th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Pretty strong schedule YSU. UC Davis and Maine should be excellent games. If you get Ws there and both have strong seasons, you should get some playoff consideration if you lose one Gateway game.

PSU is a waste of a game except for the payday...

And Slippery Rock, well I just have one answer to that... xlolx
At least you say they are gone after this year.

I-AA Fan
January 25th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Why do all of you people have such an obsession with YSU playing a DII game? As far as I am concerned ... keep it on every year. They only cost about 40k to 50k, and it is a guaranteed home game. Some truisms:

1. YSU did not miss the 2005 post-season because they played the Rock, and YSU playing Penn St. is the exact same thing. The Penguins are to PSU, what the Rockets are to YSU ... undersized speed bumps. YSU missed the post-season because of a bias & the two losses gave the comittee a tangible cut-off point (aka excuse).

2. The idea that the 2006 YSU schedule at 8-3 will get them a bid (while 8-3 with the 2005 did not) is just plain cr*p. The 2006 YSU schedule is the same as the 2005 schedule ... just different names. YSU has to beat SRU, Maine & UCD. They will lose to Penn St. and they need to win the GFC. So, given the latter, and the 2005 the lack of respect shown the GFC by the NCAA ... the concern about the quality of OOC, has become an oxymoron. The more simple the better.

3. Scheduling UCD is a mistake for any non-GWFC club. There is above average potential to lose to a team that barely broke .500 last year, just left DII, and is not even play-off eligible. Thus, a loss to a team like that is far more devistating that the loss to any mid-to-upper end club from another conference ... I would have liked to see YSU keep both Maine and Northeastern on the schedule. This is why UC-Davis was available in the first-place, and this is why YSU did not want a home & home.

4. YSU missed the post season last year because they scheduled a money game (not a DII warm-up) ... as opposed to knocking off Maine (as originally scheduled) and getting a first-round post-season home game at 9-2 ...you know it, the YSU administration knows it, the NCAA knows it. So this year, they have another money game, but $100k larger pay-out. If money is the key ... then DII's, large $$ IA teams, and no post-season is the price you will pay for it.

blukeys
January 25th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Maine could very well be a win for YSU. Maine lost some key players to graduation. The replacements no doubt will be talented. How much can be expected in the beginning of the year is the question.

aggie6thman
January 25th, 2006, 01:22 PM
3. Scheduling UCD is a mistake for any non-GWFC club. There is above average potential to lose to a team that barely broke .500 last year, just left DII, and is not even play-off eligible. Thus, a loss to a team like that is far more devistating that the loss to any mid-to-upper end club from another conference ... I would have liked to see YSU keep both Maine and Northeastern on the schedule. This is why UC Davis was available in the first-place, and this is why YSU did not want a home & home.

And just think, we are going to be reloaded come next year.

Cap'n Cat
January 25th, 2006, 01:42 PM
4. YSU missed the post season last year because they scheduled a money game (not a DII warm-up) ... as opposed to knocking off Maine (as originally scheduled) and getting a first-round post-season home game at 9-2 ...you know it, the YSU administration knows it, the NCAA knows it. So this year, they have another money game, but $100k larger pay-out. If money is the key ... then DII's, large $$ IA teams, and no post-season is the price you will pay for it.

Wrong.

YSU missed the postsesaon because they lost two of three down the stretch and could not defeat the two most powerful teams in the conference.

Simple as dat. The rest is blather trying to rationalize excuses.

:nonono2:

Not this shat again.............

ysuindy, send help!!!!!!!

OSUPenguin
January 25th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I'm really liking this schedule. I wish I could come to more than the SRU game, but Ohio State comes first now.

GoGuins, Happy Valley is actually only 3 hours away. I went to the OSU/PSU game in October. I made the trip from Columbus-Youngstown friday night, then Youngstown-Happy Valley Saturday morning, and it was 3 hours and a smooth ride. PA has 100% improved their highways. Just beware of their fans. :confused:

HiHiYikas
January 25th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Why do I get the feeling that somewhere, in a I-A board, people are laughing at Penn State fans for the scheduling of Youngstown State?

And a similar feeling, that Slippery Rock fans who say "we might put a scare on YSU," are being laughed out of D-II message boards.

colgate13
January 25th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Why do I get the feeling that somewhere, in a I-A board, people are laughing at Penn State fans for the scheduling of Youngstown State?

And a similar feeling, that Slippery Rock fans who say "we might put a scare on YSU," are being laughed out of D-II message boards.

Very interesting thought grasshopper. I feel the walls of my preconceived world falling all around me...

GoGuins
January 25th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I'm really liking this schedule. I wish I could come to more than the SRU game, but Ohio State comes first now.

Just beware of their fans. :confused:

Just like Michigan games come first for me.

The only fans I'm weary of are Ohio State fans. Sorry to say OSUPenguin, they are the worst in the country

GannonFan
January 25th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Wrong.

YSU missed the postsesaon because they lost two of three down the stretch and could not defeat the two most powerful teams in the conference.

:nonono2:

Agreed, if they had beat a playoff team, like Lafayette did, then they'd be in. Without it, they were where they were (wow, try saying that 5 times really fast).

ysubigred
January 25th, 2006, 03:03 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Hey! You never know if PSU's team comes down with some kind of flu and the band has to play in their place xazzx :lmao: :lmao: Just kidding I was just trying to get Bill to pay attention.

I'll dream of a YSU win in happy valley as you dream of the girl in your avatar :)

ysuindy
January 25th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I like the schedule in that there are two home games with I-AA opponents that do not require a return home game in the future. Since YSU loge holders demand six home games, there is simply not enough room on the schedule for six home games, conference road games, a I-A money game and more than one I-AA road game. Kudos to Mr. Strollo to make the numbers work to buy home games with Maine and UCD. Now it is up to the team to play well enough to get fans in the stadium and earn the ticket revenue to pay Maine and UCD.

ccd494
January 25th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Has Maine played it's last non-conference home game against a scholarship I-AA?

It looks like it :(

This is turning into basketball all over again. Maine should pull out at the last minute like YSU did to Maine last year.

FlyYtown
January 25th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I say 9-2 for this schedule. I looked at every team and overall you throw out the PSU game the UNI-UCD-ILSU-SIU Games are the keys. I think if we go 3-1 we win the GWFC, even though UCD Is not a member. But UNI and SIU get to have a taste of the Ice Castle and we were 6-0 in it last year and we can keep that going as our biggest loss was our WR Kyle Smith; and what he missed 3-4 games last year anyways.

Should be a great year; but we got YSU Men's B-Ball and Baseball to follow before then..

Cap'n Cat
January 25th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I say 9-2 for this schedule. I looked at every team and overall you throw out the PSU game the UNI-UCD-ILSU-SIU Games are the keys. I think if we go 3-1 we win the GWFC, even though UCD Is not a member. But UNI and SIU get to have a taste of the Ice Castle and we were 6-0 in it last year and we can keep that going as our biggest loss was our WR Kyle Smith; and what he missed 3-4 games last year anyways.

Should be a great year; but we got YSU Men's B-Ball and Baseball to follow before then..

UNI, "taste of the Ice Castle"? We have a winning record v YSU there......and overall. Seems like we've done licked it, much less tasted it.

:confused:

FlyYtown
January 25th, 2006, 04:28 PM
UNI, "taste of the Ice Castle"? We have a winning record v YSU there......and overall. Seems like we've done licked it, much less tasted it.

:confused:
Thank You Refs in one of the worst calls in my lifetime back in 2004. You know how your punter played Hollywood in the one game; well your kicker did in 2004....

We shall see...

Cap'n Cat
January 25th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Thank You Refs in one of the worst calls in my lifetime back in 2004. You know how your punter played Hollywood in the one game; well your kicker did in 2004....

We shall see...

I saw the video of that game, FlyDude. Your guys raped him. Knock off the homer stuff.

UNI owns YSU. Has for years.

:)

wannabegaucho
January 25th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Penn State WIN
UC-Davis WIN
You are mistaken with the second result.

I-AA Fan
January 25th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Cap'n Cat
Wrong.

Agreed, if they had beat a playoff team, like Lafayette did, then they'd be in. Without it, they were where they were (wow, try saying that 5 times really fast).

CC, I guess you have about as much respect for the GFC (UNI & SIU), as the selection committee. Funny, because UNI's win over YSU was more than "a feather in the cap" [no sarcasm intended] for a team (UNI) that had already lost to SMS and ILS (two clubs YSU had already defeated). I might also add that UNI beat a good Western Kentucky club on the last play of the game in OT ... YSU beat that good WKU club on the first play of the game, when they recovered a fumble on the opening kick on route to a 32-point win ... so my comments were not rationalizing at all, simply being respectful and realistic. You just have to accept the fact that UNI winning at SIU & YSU "down the stretch" were grade 'A' wins that put you in the post-season; so give some respect to the clubs you beat that put you there. After all, no disrespect meant toward your truly impressive performance in the post-season, but UNI is not the first Gateway club to make the final ...just the most-recent. You just want to be negative, even if it degrades your own clubs performance, and conference's strength. Most any truly knowledgable fan knew that when SIU won in the final week ... YSU was out. They will not go three deep out of the GFC. (period) After all, how many times did UNI make the semi before they took a second GFC club? At least once, maybe twice. Oh yes, that was because they had to make room for certain independent club during those years ;)

Gannon: Just what is a play-off team? Richmond was more than a question last year, and did not become a post-season club until they were selected. Maybe previous year's performance? ;) So, one assumes they wanted UR in the post-season (or Lafayette), and need some justification. Pretty obvious stuff really.

ysubigred
January 26th, 2006, 08:40 AM
You are mistaken with the second result.

I'm not over looking your team for sure. Great to have you all come to the Ice Castle. Cal Poly was in Y-Town a few years back. I believe you two are the only Cal teams ever to visit.

Are you making the trip to Y-Town?

GannonFan
January 26th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Gannon: Just what is a play-off team? Richmond was more than a question last year, and did not become a post-season club until they were selected. Maybe previous year's performance? ;) So, one assumes they wanted UR in the post-season (or Lafayette), and need some justification. Pretty obvious stuff really.

Yes, you're right, it's pretty obvious the committe had it out for YSU all along and did everything they could to keep them out. :rolleyes: Richmond was a sure thing based on their winning the South division in the A10 and being really the only other A10 team that could make the playoffs after UNH. Like it or not, the A10 will always get at least 2 teams in based on their size and just the quality of the conference. I'm sure it had nothing to do with Richmond's previous year performance as Richmond was 3-8 in the previous year.

Cap'n Cat
January 26th, 2006, 10:15 AM
CC, I guess you have about as much respect for the GFC (UNI & SIU), as the selection committee. Funny, because UNI's win over YSU was more than "a feather in the cap" [no sarcasm intended] for a team (UNI) that had already lost to SMS and ILS (two clubs YSU had already defeated). I might also add that UNI beat a good Western Kentucky club on the last play of the game in OT ... YSU beat that good WKU club on the first play of the game, when they recovered a fumble on the opening kick on route to a 32-point win ... so my comments were not rationalizing at all, simply being respectful and realistic. You just have to accept the fact that UNI winning at SIU & YSU "down the stretch" were grade 'A' wins that put you in the post-season; so give some respect to the clubs you beat that put you there. After all, no disrespect meant toward your truly impressive performance in the post-season, but UNI is not the first Gateway club to make the final ...just the most-recent. You just want to be negative, even if it degrades your own clubs performance, and conference's strength. Most any truly knowledgable fan knew that when SIU won in the final week ... YSU was out. They will not go three deep out of the GFC. (period) After all, how many times did UNI make the semi before they took a second GFC club? At least once, maybe twice. Oh yes, that was because they had to make room for certain independent club during those years ;)

"You just want to be negative, even if it degrades your own clubs performance, and conference's strength."

No, don't want to be negative. Just pointing out facts.

Again.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

YSU was not in the playoffs in 2005 because they lost critical games late in the year. They just didn't have the team. Any other verbiage is rationalizing, finger-pointing and excuse-making. All of the I-AA world agrees with the exception of about four hardheads in the YSU camp.

Simple.

:rolleyes:

I-AA Fan
January 26th, 2006, 02:57 PM
"You just want to be negative, even if it degrades your own clubs performance, and conference's strength."

No, don't want to be negative. Just pointing out facts.

Again.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

YSU was not in the playoffs in 2005 because they lost critical games late in the year. They just didn't have the team. Any other verbiage is rationalizing, finger-pointing and excuse-making. All of the I-AA world agrees with the exception of about four hardheads in the YSU camp.

Simple.

:rolleyes:

I realize that this is a national bbs & most everyone could care less about YSU's 2006 schedule, YSU has their own board for those that do. So, I do not want to perpetuate the thread. However, I never disputed that statement at all CC, what does it have to do with what I said?

ps: I may expell gas & banter ... but never 'blather'.

Cap'n Cat
January 27th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I realize that this is a national bbs & most everyone could care less about YSU's 2006 schedule, YSU has their own board for those that do. So, I do not want to perpetuate the thread. However, I never disputed that statement at all CC, what does it have to do with what I said?

ps: I may expell gas & banter ... but never 'blather'.

By the definition of blather, you and some of your friends do, with all due respect.

Anytime you blame the Selcetion Committee and/or claim a bias against YSU, it is blather.

:)