View Full Version : The Big Sky's 12th Team

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Carl Kimmel reported on his Twitter (http://twitter.com/slimkimmel/status/23268302629) that the Big Sky will be adding a 12th team to the mix.

Thoughts and reports on who it could possibly be?

FCS Go!
September 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I would suggest Southern Utah but I have no inside info. They are far closer than the Dakota schools and I don't see Central Washington or any other DII having the money to move up.

Edit: I didn't think of San Diego but could they afford the schollies?

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2010, 03:43 PM

San Diego and Southern Utah are the only two western FCS teams not in the Big Sky now. Had to include USD, regardless of their scholarship situation...

seattlespider
September 7th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I would suggest Southern Utah but I have no inside info. They are far closer than the Dakota schools and I don't see Central Washington or any other DII having the money to move up.

Central Washington would be an interesting discussion (good football history, built in rivalry w/EWU, DII football in the PNW seems to be nearly non-existent), but as you said, I have no idea if they have any interest or, more importantly, the money to move up.

GSUhooligan
September 7th, 2010, 03:49 PM
CS Fullerton or Pacific need to restart football and join the Big Sky.

I Bleed Purple
September 7th, 2010, 03:50 PM
SUU is the only choice, really. I believe WSU won't like it, if what I've heard in the past is true, but every one else will vote for it, especially those in Flagstaff.

BearsCountry
September 7th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I would assume Southern Utah.

Big Sky would have some good travel partners for the most part sans Sacramento State and Northern Colorado.
Eastern Washington/Portland State
Montana/Montana State
Idaho State/Weber State
Northern Arizona/Southern Utah

Of course Sac State to the Big West and adding a Denver/Utah Valley State could do the same thing.

Big Al
September 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Why wouldn't WSU like it? While their recruiting would potentially take a hit in-state, I think they could benefit greatly by creating an in-state rivalry. In fact, I think I'll start hating the Thunderbirds as a preemptive act of loyalty to my alma mater.

danefan
September 7th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I'm saying the wait it out until Idaho or San Jose State drops down to FCS.

Very interesting comments by the Big Sky commish in his video address on the "expansion of FCS".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K92UGoRxUng&feature=player_embedded

Green Cookie Monster
September 7th, 2010, 04:28 PM
SJSU will be the next program in the BSC.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 7th, 2010, 05:14 PM
At least SUU will be more competitive than UNC.

BearIt
September 7th, 2010, 05:22 PM
We could add San Diego. That would make SUU and ISU feel good for at least one game.

Red & Black
September 7th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Why is San Diego even in this discussion? They are non-schollie, people.

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Why is San Diego even in this discussion? They are non-schollie, people.

As noted earlier, they and Southern Utah are the only "true" western FCS schools that are not in the Big Sky Conference. They were not a very serious candidate, but threw them in just for that...

MplsBison
September 7th, 2010, 07:53 PM
WAC adds Montana (for Idaho) and Sac St (for SJSU).

Big Sky adds SUU for a 10 football (8 bball) league:

SUU - NAU
WSU - ISU
EWU - PSU
MSU - UNC
Poly (football only) - Davis (football only)

JALMOND
September 7th, 2010, 09:17 PM
First choice for the conference would most likely be Southern Utah. Adding one of the Dakota schools (adding both would bring the total teams to 13) would double the size of the conference footprint, a pretty long way for everyone else to travel. I'm pretty sure the other members would rather fly into Vegas in late October/early November than fly into Minneapolis/Grand Forks during that same timetable (those of us that would fly).