PDA

View Full Version : Report: Lamar Home Game - Sold Out

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2010, 02:25 PM
On the heels of the successful showings by Old Dominion last year and Georgia State last week, reports are that Lamar has sold out their home game this weekend - their first in 21 years - against NAIA Webber International...

Congrats to the Cards! We're all anxiously awaiting to see pictures...

May have been the right move to end football 21 years ago oddly enough. Though it is hard to futurecast, it seems starting it back up has signaled the re-birth of the university in many ways... props Lamar!

Sly Fox
September 7th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I tried to see the stadium when I drove through Beaumont last week. But the construction barricades limited my view. The thing I could see was that gorgeous new high school stadium out by the Ford Arena along I-10. The Golden Triangle was long overdue for a palace like that one.

centexguy
September 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM
The stadium holds 16K but they are hoping for 20K. Here's a photo of the field and scoreboard:

http://www.bigredinsider.com/images/stories/FootballStadiumLatest/scoreboard%20and%20field%201.jpg

Gallery Here: http://www.bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=192&catid=1

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2010, 03:20 PM
How much will the official capacity be on opening day? 16k? The side the photo was shot from - is there hills or something that could take SRO?

sharkeycox
September 7th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I am not surpised by the sellout. The Cardinal faithful brought a large contingent into "The Hole" Saturday night. They are a loud and respectful bunch. I look forward to going to Beaumont next year!

bigred360
September 7th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Yep, the game is sold out! But, I'm disappointed that they aren't going to have standing room only behind the endzones or hill areas. I was told they are worried the grass there isn't ready and could get muddy which they don't want.

However, I wish they would have SRO on the concourse at the Montagne Center. Would be a great view and you could get at least 1k maybe 2k there.

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2010, 06:28 PM
How are ticket sales doing for the other Lamar games? How much of the initial game ticket sales derive from season ticket sales? And how much of the stadium is "blocked off" for the Lamar student body?

centexguy
September 7th, 2010, 10:39 PM
How are ticket sales doing for the other Lamar games? How much of the initial game ticket sales derive from season ticket sales? And how much of the stadium is "blocked off" for the Lamar student body?

According to an article in the local paper, season tickets are also sold out:

A total of 4,100 tickets set aside for students will be distributed through the week and on game day, but Lamar officials will consider releasing unclaimed tickets to the general public, said Lenny Caballero, an assistant to Lamar president Jimmy Simmons.

Season tickets for the Cardinals' inaugural season also are sold out.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/tickets_to_lamar_university_s_football_game_sold_o ut.html

I'm guessing that's at least 10K in season ticket sales since it's a 16K stadium, 4K goes to the students, and the other 2K goes to the band, faculty, visiting fans, etc.

More photos of the stadium and athletic complex here: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/multimedia/content/LU_Stadium_near_completion.html

JSU02
September 7th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Was there once a track around the field? The stands look really far away...

GeauxLions94
September 7th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Was there once a track around the field? The stands look really far away...

No, Ty Terrell Track is across campus ... the picture is taken from outside the Montagne Center (LU Basketball Arena). Nice job Cards!

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2010, 07:22 AM
No, Ty Terrell Track is across campus ... the picture is taken from outside the Montagne Center (LU Basketball Arena). Nice job Cards!

Isn't Ty Terrell not up to standards? Did not think Lamar was on the SLC Track and Field Championships "loop", since that championship rotates amongst qualified stadiums. Wonder if Lamar will be fixing that one up soon...

Franks Tanks
September 8th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Congrats Lamar. The stadium looks great and you guys performed extremely well in your opening game.

bigred360
September 8th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Isn't Ty Terrell not up to standards? Did not think Lamar was on the SLC Track and Field Championships "loop", since that championship rotates amongst qualified stadiums. Wonder if Lamar will be fixing that one up soon...

Believe you are correct that Ty Terrell isn't in the loop for the SLC Tranck and Field Champions but my understanding is Lamar will build a softball stadium and renovation Vincent-Beck before doing other athletic projects.

bigred360
September 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Congrats Lamar. The stadium looks great and you guys performed extremely well in your opening game.

Thanks we appreciate the compliment here at Lamar.

FCS Go!
September 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM
bigred and centex,
Make sure to take some pics this weekend so we can see your digs in live action. Better yet y'all could start a stadium pic thread and we could compare pics. xsmiley_wix

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Got to figure out the situation with the hills and SRO... got to make it work and bust at the seems!

Fire marshals inspected the stadium's landscape and hillsides on Wednesday to determine if LU officials would be permitted to sell standing-room tickets for the game. An announcement was expected to be released today.

The problems regarding fan interest are many and unique for Lamar which has not had a home football game since November of 1989. That interest undoubtedly escalated after Lamar's 30-27 season-opening loss at McNeese last Saturday.

"We opened up on Tuesday morning with about 400 seats left," Delage said. "We have a few students seats which are selling right now. So we have a sellout because the student section definitely is going to be full.... A decision has to be made on whether or not we will sell standing-room either on Friday or on game day."

http://panews.com/sports/x1899098732/LU-ticket-demand-amps-up-following-McNeese-showing