PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota State at Northern Iowa: who wins and by how much?

PantherRob82
September 5th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I'd like to get an idea on what people think and just how good we are as a board at prognosticating a game between a team who beat an FBS and a team who haven't played. ;)

KSPanther
September 5th, 2010, 08:39 PM
The Panthers will win by 14 or more. The Panthers will stuff the run and the Bison can't throw! The NDSU win at KU was a good win for the MVFB Conference. The Panthers will roll the Bison for the third straight year!

UNI Pike
September 5th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I selected the Panthers in OT, but honestly I have no idea what to expect.

UNI has so many new starters on both the O & D Lines that anything could happen. Reportedly, we are switching to a 3-4 D, mostly from the excess talent at linebacker from what I understand. This adds another wrinkle into projecting outcomes.

Things in UNI's favor
- A somewhat mobile QB in Davis, and a highly mobile QB in Rennie. Rennie is the nominal starter at this point, but could change.
- Excess of wealth at the RB position. Andre Dawson (http://rivals.yahoo.com/iowapreps/football/recruiting/player-Andre-Dawson-76560) will likely play as a true freshman @ 6'1" 210 (or more).
- Out O line coach has been doing this for 13 - 15 years, and has produced very good lines over that time. The question is who will be starting (still unknown) and will they gel?
- TE Oordt should help open up the Tampa 2 coverage with short passes that KU's Biere couldn't haul in. (The two he did catch were both fumbled away). That and Josh Collins stretching the field deep.

Things in NDSU's favor
- They have a game under their belt, which will help immensely
- The D line looked solid.
- Kicking game - both place kicker & punter looked looked good to great. I think the Bison have the edge here unless something has dramatically changed for UNI.
- Solid, experienced Oline against new UNI Dline in new scheme.

Overall, from what I have heard, UNI has greatly upgraded the skill positions' athletic ability compared to last year. Question boils down to the UNI OLine performance.

Anyone with better insight to the UNI (or NDSU) scouting report, feel free to amend.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 5th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I went with the Panthers by 7 cuz that the most likely outcome but I could make a shaky argument for just about any of them. It's a game of interest that I will be keeping an eye on if I can find a vid link but will at least keep the score thread "refreshed" and maybe get some updates from a UNI buddy or two.

Cap'ns always full of crap and only wants to talk about what the Griz are doing and so forth. Dude can't get the Griz out of mind for a second.xlolx

I look forward to SIMPLE score and context texts that my buddy's Rob and Jeff supply me.xnodxxbowx

HandoEX
September 5th, 2010, 10:17 PM
NDSU does not ever get blown out. I expect a close game that could go either way, with NDSU winning by a score. I will guarantee the Bison offense will look much better than they did against KU. Looking forward to a great game!

darell1976
September 5th, 2010, 10:20 PM
NDSU 17 UNI 10.

stevdock
September 5th, 2010, 10:28 PM
The one thing I learned about our team is I have no idea how good they actually are. Could they run the table and go 11-0?? Possible. I don't think they could go 1-10, but who knows. THe defense looks much much better than last year, but that doesn't take much.

The only thing that I will take to the bank is that NDSU will be at no worse than having a chance to win the game in the 4th quarter. I am eagerly anticipating Saturday's BIG CONFERENCE game.

Houndawg
September 5th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I think that UNI's home advantage is negated by NDSU having a game under their belts. I also think that the higher-scoring the game the more likely that UNI wins. NDSU's path to success all year is going to be ball control.

FargoBison
September 5th, 2010, 10:55 PM
NDSU by a FG. UNI seems to have some questions in the trenches and that is the strength of NDSU's team. I fully expect it to be a physical game and not a ton of scoring. So I'll go with NDSU 17 UNI 14.

HandoEX
September 5th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I beleive there will be "Bison Home Game" chants at the UNI Dome...especially since Iowa/ISU is the same day.

steelbison
September 6th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I think the Bison win a close one. Huge advantage having a game under our belts. They always say you improve the most from game one to game two.

Watch for our offense to open it up a little bit. We kept the game plan very conservative not wanting our QB to keep the ball in his hands very long. Will be a different animal this saturday.

We have a very young, very quick/physical team. You will be surprised by the improvements over last years squad.

Can't wait to road trip!!

SU DOG
September 6th, 2010, 12:34 AM
As a real outsider, I shouldn't get involved without having more to go on. However, having watched NDSU on TV, I think they are a really good outfit. I pick the Bison.

semobison
September 6th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I picked the Bison by a FG. Last year UNI won 42-27 with NDSU having 125 more yards of total offense. After the Kansas game, this should be, game of the week!

RabidRabbit
September 6th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I think that UNI's home advantage is negated by NDSU having a game under their belts. I also think that the higher-scoring the game the more likely that UNI wins. NDSU's path to success all year is going to be ball control.

UNI, along with NDSU were the two mystery teams of the MVFC to me this year. NDSU showed a strong, opportunistic defense against a totally rookie Kansas team. It was a GREAT FCS>FBS win. However, neither team showed any offense. NDSU should be improved with the game under their belt.

UNI? They will benefit from having Bison game film to dissect. They also open at home. But dome vs dome team, there is little advantage there. Further, UNI better have the fans out in force, or there will be 3K of Bison fans down from the TC. UNI - Time to show if reloaded, or rebuilding.

Picked UNI by 7. Still think that UNI will have a better season than Bison.

UNHFan
September 6th, 2010, 08:55 AM
All I know is that this is the Game the True FCS fans want to see... all I know is Ill be watching! 2 great programs... and they both make the FCS look good every year

Mn_Moose
September 6th, 2010, 09:03 AM
NDSU does not ever get blown out.
To me, ever means EVER and this illustrates the point.

NDSU 0 @North Dakota 42

NDSU 14 @Northern Iowa 41

1981-- NDSU 0 @Northern Michigan 38

Houndawg
September 6th, 2010, 09:25 AM
NDSU does not ever get blown out. I expect a close game that could go either way, with NDSU winning by a score. I will guarantee the Bison offense will look much better than they did against KU. Looking forward to a great game!

xeyebrowx

Redbird Ray
September 6th, 2010, 09:27 AM
This is really hard to pick because of so many unkonwns for UNI, and NDSU coming off that WTF kind of win over KU. That said, when the UNI Dome is in full force, it's a pretty wicked home field advantage. I just hope Iowa/ISU doesn't steal too many fans, because this should be a whale of a ballgame xlolx

An interesting thought I am having right now is, what would be best for the conference? I think all us Valley guys would like to see as many Valley teams as possible get tourney bids (you know, for conference pride and all).

If NDSU wins this game, you almost have to consider them a bonafied conference title contender this year. Throw that in there with SIU, SDSU (who hasn't even played yet), ISU Red (I still believe), and potentially still UNI, and I'm not sure there will be a tougher FCS league this year. Even the preseason lower-half teams had impressive outings last week.

If UNI wins (especially if done so in a convincing fashion), then does that take a lot of the wind out of NDSU's sail? I think so.

I guess my ultimate question (and maybe this should be a separate thread) is in a playoff style format like FCS, is it better to have a strong competitive balance within the conference where anyone can beat anyone on any give week? Or, is it better to have 3-4 teams that never lose to anyone but their top-conference peers? The CAA has definitely made this second model work to their advantage.

I would argue in FBS, where 6 wins gets you a bowl game, having a tougher and deeper conference is the better option, but in FCS, maybe the polarization of teams talent is better for getting playoff bids. But then that brings into question whether teams with 10-11 win records were truly tested at all during the season.

In any case, I'm not sure it will matter this year. I think the Valley is the toughest FCS conference in the country after week one. Unfortunately, the FCS playoff committee rarely takes SOS into account. It seems getting to 8 wins is all that matters come playoff time, be that against a bunch of D2 or non-schollies or against FBS teams. Which is too bad, because I think some pretty tough 6-7 win Valley teams could get left out this year.

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I went with the Panthers by 7 cuz that the most likely outcome but I could make a shaky argument for just about any of them. It's a game of interest that I will be keeping an eye on if I can find a vid link but will at least keep the score thread "refreshed" and maybe get some updates from a UNI buddy or two.

Cap'ns always full of crap and only wants to talk about what the Griz are doing and so forth. Dude can't get the Griz out of mind for a second.xlolx

I look forward to SIMPLE score and context texts that my buddy's Rob and Jeff supply me.xnodxxbowx

Remind me on Saturday. :p

darell1976
September 6th, 2010, 01:43 PM
To me, ever means EVER and this illustrates the point.

NDSU 0 @North Dakota 42

NDSU 14 @Northern Iowa 41

1981-- NDSU 0 @Northern Michigan 38

When was that??? I remember the score being the other way around in 1986.

Mn_Moose
September 6th, 2010, 01:57 PM
When was that??? I remember the score being the other way around in 1986.

Gil Dobie
September 6th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Since 1963 NDSU is 15-5 vs UNI while UNI leads the all-time series.

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Since 1963 NDSU is 15-5 vs UNI while UNI leads the all-time series.

You guys really owned us towards the end of our NCC run. :(

UNIFanSince1983
September 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Since both teams have been D1 UNI leads the series 2-0, but history means nothing. All that matters is this year. What happened last year the year before or heck even in 1963 don't have any bearing on the game this weekend.

All this being said I see this being a very close game with neither team winning by more than 10. It is a game that could go either way. UNI having not played a game yet still has lots of question marks. Who will be QB can the offensive and defensive lines gel enough to let the skill players get out and go. NDSU has an impressive win already, and momentum. The biggest thing is them having a game under their belt already. I think UNI will be able to pull it out by a field goal, though. Either way it is going to be a great game and I CANNOT WAIT!

GO PANTHERS!!

Native
September 6th, 2010, 02:43 PM
...If NDSU wins this game, you almost have to consider them a bonafide conference title contender this year. ...

"...Almost?!?!???" If NDSU beats UNI they are a bnafide conference title contender untl proven otherwise.

... I think the Valley is the toughest FCS conference in the country after week one. Unfortunately, the FCS playoff committee rarely takes SOS into account. It seems getting to 8 wins is all that matters come playoff time, be that against a bunch of D2 or non-schollies or against FBS teams. Which is too bad, because I think some pretty tough 6-7 win Valley teams could get left out this year.

Congrats to NDSU and the Missouri Valley for the fantastic Bison winover Kansas

However, Week One has not changed the fact that the MVFC remains roughly equivalent to the bridesmaids like the Big Sky and SOCON. Some pretty tough 6-7 win (fill in the blank with Big Sky, Missouri Valey, Great West, SOCON, blah blah blah) teams could get left out this year...

wapiti
September 6th, 2010, 03:24 PM
NDSU in OT by a safety.
4 to 2

It will be a game of defense vs defense

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2010, 03:30 PM
NDSU in OT by a safety.
4 to 2

It will be a game of defense vs defense

xlolx xlolx
Post of the day

ValleyChamp
September 6th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I think Iowa beat Penn St several years ago, something like 6-4.

I don't see this game being super low scoring though. There are alot of questions surrounding UNI this year, but if anything, they should be able to score some points. Lots of speed and athleticism with UNI's skill players.

darell1976
September 6th, 2010, 04:01 PM
xlolx xlolx
Post of the day

That would be a heck of a loss to get a safety in OT since you start at the 25yd line but with NDSU's defense I guess its possible.

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Poll is currently UNI 41-25, but it could be more indicitive of which team had more posters online so far. :p

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 6th, 2010, 06:28 PM
If our defense is for real, it will give the Panthers trouble all day. We need to run the ball effectively and use the pass off of that to be successful. Penalties need to be at a minimum....( 13 at Kansas was too many ).

UNI has a lot of question marks and it is their 1st game of the year. UNI is perenially a title contender so they will be tough to beat in their own building.

Bison 28-17

Hammerhead
September 7th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Even though KU has a new coach and inexperienced QBs, it was impressive to hold and BCS conference team to a field goal. I'm beginning to feel confident that the lean years for the Bison are in the past.

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2010, 08:46 PM
UNI 42 -NDSU 34 in the poll. Starting to even out.

Professor Chaos
September 7th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Here's a few guys to look out for from NDSU's perspective:

#70 - Matt Gratzek - DT - Senior captain who anchors a very solid D-line, he sacked KU's QB after losing his helmet last week.
#69 - Leevon Perry - DT - RS Freshman who beat out a senior, Matt Phillips, for the starting nose guard spot not because Phillips was slacking but because Perry played that well in fall camp.
#92 - Coulter Boyer - DE - Was a one man wrecking crew against the Kansas O-line. A pair of sacks against KU and they weren't cheapies.
#44 - Preston Evans - LB - One of the very few bright spots for the Bison defensively last year and he kept it up in the KU game. Leader of the defense in my opinion.
#1 - Marcus Williams - CB - Freshman who was an academic non-qualifier last year. Paid his own way to get his grades in order and now he's worked his way up to the top of the depth chart at left CB less a month into his Bison career. Impossible not to root for the kid and he made one spectacular play and several other solid plays vs KU.
#28 - Mike Sigers - RB - Shifty (also a RS freshman) with decent hands. Electric in the open field.
#82 - Matt Veldman - TE - Huge target at 6'7". I didn't think they looked for him enough against KU.
#6 - Titus Mack - WR - I thought he was the only standout offensively for the Bison agains KU. Had a couple nice catch and runs.

I know next to nothing about this years UNI squad since I haven't seen them play and they have a bunch of new starters but I can say that the Bison D-line is very stout so the young UNI O-line better be ready to play and play well. I think the Bison offense will play much better in this game but the defense will come back down to earth a bit. I can't see UNI being sloppy at home even with a young team in their season opener. I think the Bison jump out to an early lead in this one but UNI comes back after they work the 1st game jitters out to make it a back and forth affair. When the final whistle blows my guess (and that's all it is) is it's NDSU 27, UNI 21.

Western_101
September 7th, 2010, 09:17 PM
UNI seems to have a way of always coming out on top, I know with the Kansas victory the upcomming game seems to be taking a more competitive tone. I am going to stick with the preseason prognosticators and go with the higher ranked preseason team and say UNI wins by a touchdown.

UNI 31 NDSU 24.

Go Bison
September 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I would like to believe the Bison could pull this game out. If it was at home, I would pick NDSU. However, it is on the road and so I will pick UNI 17-13. Hope I am wrong though.

UNI Pike
September 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM
NDSU is going to find a lot of offense if they are scoring 24. Definitely possible, but that would be an incredible improvement week to week.

MR. CHICKEN
September 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM
All I know is that this is the Game the True FCS fans want to see... all I know is Ill be watching! 2 great programs... and they both make the FCS look good every year

HOW 'BOUT...SOUFF DAKOTAH STATE vs DELAWARE..(#8 vs #14....OR...#15 vs #16).xconfusedx...BRAWK!

DUH BISON TAKE DUH NES-TEA PLUNGE.....AS DEY.....RELIVE DUH KANSAS WIN ALL WEEK....NO FOCUS ON NORFFERN IOWA.....OH..AN' DUH DOME RINGS....DUH AWAY TEAMS EAR-HOLES...ALL GAME.........xnodx...AWK!!

SalukiJim
September 8th, 2010, 06:10 AM
That would be a heck of a loss to get a safety in OT since you start at the 25yd line but with NDSU's defense I guess its possible.

Darrell, I was thinking the same thing, maybe a FG blocked and some variation of Garo Yepremian's ghost comes on the field and falls on the ball in the end zone!xlolx

ming01
September 10th, 2010, 02:36 AM
NDSU 21
Northern Iowa 20

Houndawg
September 10th, 2010, 04:42 AM
NDSU 21
Northern Iowa 20

Bison can't win in a game 5 TDs are scored. They need a 13-10 game.

JBB
September 10th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Besides one of the most repulsive fan bases in the nation led by the liberal cowboy and the cool hippie, NDSU has a very good football team. I guess all FCS fans know Kansas is the worst FBS team in history and the 45-0 pastings the other FCS team experienced playing up this season were proof those FCS squads are better teams. I still feel the win at Kansas means something and can't help but think most UNI fans are overlooking something.

UNIFanSince1983
September 10th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I think it is going to be a close game and do not think we can look past NDSU. I can guarantee whether some of the fans are the team will not be looking past you especially with Coach Farley being in attendance of your game last weekend (his son is on the Kansas team). And I know it is the same for the Bison. Some of your fans seem to think just because you beat Kansas you are going to win the National Championship this year. I know UNI fans thought the same thing after nearly beating Iowa, and then pasting South Dakota 66-7. We all saw how that turned out for us. I know we feel some Bison fans are overlooking us thinking all we have going for us this year is that we are UNI. We if you think that you will be sorely mistaken.

Either way I cannot wait until tomrrow!! GO PANTHERS!

Houndawg
September 10th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Besides one of the most repulsive fan bases in the nation led by the liberal cowboy and the cool hippie, NDSU has a very good football team. I guess all FCS fans know Kansas is the worst FBS team in history and the 45-0 pastings the other FCS team experienced playing up this season were proof those FCS squads are better teams. I still feel the win at Kansas means something and can't help but think most UNI fans are overlooking something.

They're overlooking the Bison noffense.

ValleyChamp
September 10th, 2010, 06:53 PM

What are you talking about? If I can attempt to sift through all of your mindless rambling, I think I saw that you think UNI could be overlooking this one? I can assure you UNI, nor UNI fans are overlooking this game. NDSU is going to be a very tough game. Not to mention it is UNI's first game of the season.

And stop trying to convince people that Kansas is a good team. Its great anytime an FCS beats a BCS team. But kansas IS terrible.

MplsBison
September 10th, 2010, 06:59 PM
This is nothing more than a poll of which school has more AGS posters. No UNI poster on AGS is going to pick NDSU, even if it's an obvious pick. Same for NDSU.

That said, this is going to be a close game. It doesn't matter who has better players, it's a bitter game for both sides. The players on each side don't like the other team's players... and I think the fans are starting to get into it. I know myself I find most UNI posters on here to be a bunch of corn-bones...but it is what it is.

JBB
September 10th, 2010, 07:35 PM
What are you talking about? If I can attempt to sift through all of your mindless rambling, I think I saw that you think UNI could be overlooking this one? I can assure you UNI, nor UNI fans are overlooking this game. NDSU is going to be a very tough game. Not to mention it is UNI's first game of the season.

And stop trying to convince people that Kansas is a good team. Its great anytime an FCS beats a BCS team. But kansas IS terrible.

A little review for you: I didnt say UNI would overlook the game, I said UNI supporters were overlooking some things. Get it?

NDSU has taken the field and proven themselves a worthy opponent. The questions, many of the same questions UNI is facing this week, have been answered for NDSU. Its UNI questions vs. NDSU BISON answers. Do you think UNI fans are overlooking something? Anything?

Oh, by the way:

Stop trying to convince people kansas isnt a good team, ok?

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Stop trying to convince people kansas isnt a good team, ok?

No convincing needed. Everyone knows KU is terrible.

I think most UNI fans have a lot of reservations about this years team. They're just not that concerned with the Bison after watching last weeks game.

I'm not concerned about our team this year. But that's because I watch practices, spring game, talk to people inside, etc. So I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. On top of that FCS football takes a little luck. 7-4 and 11-0 aren't that far apart.

Houndawg
September 10th, 2010, 09:35 PM
UNI will kick a mud puddle in the Bison's collective arse and stomp it dry.

semobison
September 10th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I just hope that if we put up 500+ yards of offense on them like we did last year we score more than 17 points! Bison 27, INI 13!

Cap'n Cat
September 10th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Hey, all you chumps. UNI wins by 17 or more.

Now, STFU and close this thread.