PDA

View Full Version : SoCon on HIGH Alert!!!

appstate38
September 4th, 2010, 05:24 PM
UTC has a pretty good football team. They came to play and win. Hats off to them

Apps 42- UTC 41 xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

tractorapp
September 4th, 2010, 05:30 PM
That was flat out unbelievable. No way I thought our guys would pull that out. Chatty is for real, and I know we're glad we don't play them again. QB is the real deal.

theasushow
September 4th, 2010, 05:31 PM
had they made those 2 pat's they would have won, that has to hurt. but not taking anything away from ASU, they dominated the 4th quarter.

AshevilleApp
September 4th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I watched the game on SportsSouth. My Thoughts:

- Chattanooga: Class program, white-out = awesome, Solid QB and OL. Chatty fans have a lot to be proud of and look forward to. Find a kicker

- Presley: I was down on him in the first half but looked back on it and most of the mistakes were not his fault. Cadet's 2 fumbles and a couple of dropped balls. He's fast but not as quick as Edwards. When he had confidence he really stepped into his passes and took control. I'm comfortable with him now.

- Fletcher: Player of the game - was not healthy enough to start yet comes in later in the game and has a huge sack, forced fumble and fell on another fumble.

- Quick: He's going to have a HUGE year but most App fans expected that. Looks like the bobbles are behind him and he showed moxie after the catch.

- Jorden: Glad to see him being utilized more...he kind of got lost in the Edwards show last year. He could be a huge weapon

- Secondary/DL: Chatty's QB and OL are very good but man we had very little pass rush and there were receivers wide-open all day.

- Overall: Glad we came out with the win, but whew - now I know why teams schedule easy games to start. Took the team til the second half to get it together and it was almost too late. Two easy wins coming up to get ready for the rest of the SoCon. Will be nice to get Moore/Hillary back

Great game...

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM
App St is well coached and that helped them make their breaks in the 4th quarter. utc looked great though.

chattanoogamocs
September 4th, 2010, 06:32 PM
If anyone is wondering about the kicking woes, the kicker was out with an injury...they guy that missed the 3 PAT's was the punter (finally, on the 4th PAT, Nick Pollard literally limped in, kicked it good and limped out)...of course, that is why they went for 2 at the end of the game.

On a side note: Nick Pollard is a true freshman and was the Kicker of Year in the State of Tennessee...so they actually have a good kicker...unfortunately, he got injured in practice last week.

I felt like I was watching an FBS mid major play a good FCS team...the lack of scholarships (due to past APR) was a big difference in the 4th quarter. ASU was fresh and just started teeing off on the Mocs...Chattanooga was gassed.

I was proud that Chattanooga came back late and scored to at least had a chance to win it.

Hey, a team that was 1-11 two years ago went toe to toe with that has won 3 national titles in the last 5 years. It was a nice step forward for the Mocs...even with the loss, I think people will continue to come back and watch this team. Hopefully we can get 15,000 every game.

****...PAT's :(

BTW...Kudos to the ASU fans...nice turnout. 5 pretty full sections, I would say close to 2K.

chattanoogamocs
September 4th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Oh...and thanks for the kind words ASU fans. It certainly feels nice not to be a laughing stock.

Mntneer
September 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Ahh ok. ASU clearly had the momentum in the 4th, but I still felt going for 2 was a poor decision. It makes more sense knowing your kickers situation. Great game and good luck this season.

Saint3333
September 4th, 2010, 07:25 PM
UTC has come very far the last two years. Well coached team and have some real players at the skill positions. Overall team speed is much better, once they address depth they'll be a force in the SoCon.

Heck of a game plan by UTC.

Great quote and IMO accurate: "I felt like I was watching an FBS mid major play a good FCS team". UTC is a definitely a good FCS team.

Note that ASU was without three starters today as well, Moore (preseason Walter Payton RB), CoCo (All SoCon WR/KR), and Tanyl (All-SoCon DE).

AppAlum2003
September 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM
First off... great game TrainBirds. I won't be able to eat for days now...

Secondly, the PAT thing was tough for UTC. However, let's not forget that ASU had the ball with 3 min left and a 7 point lead (would have been 4) and basically tried to kill the clock. Had UTC made those 3 kicks, ASU would probably not have just sat on the ball and would have gone for a score instead of running on 3rd and 6. At that point in the game, ASU was scoring at will and PROBABLY would have scored 3, if not 7 more.

longtimemocfan
September 4th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Great game !!! Sucks to be on the losing end of a game like this. I think this years ASU team has more weapons on offense and a bigger O-line than you've had the last couple of years. That Defensive end is a monster good player. I can make excuses to why we didn't win the game ,but at the end of the day we just lost. Hats off to a good ASU team that didn't quit. We are coming along and should be a force real soon.

biggie
September 4th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Heartattack.

Still not sure why Fletcher didn't start the game.

Would have helped to have the othe normal starting DE (Tanyi) as well as starting RB (Moore) and WR (Coco).

Was surprised at the level of Chatty, last year I felt they were close because of the 2 onside kicks, this year they were just good. We have a lot to improve on, that's for sure, maybe having this game 1st will help the team.

Squealofthepig
September 4th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I don't think Chatty is the only surprise today; Elon looks like they're going to lose on the road at Duke, but they're putting up a damned respectable showing - should be interesting, and grats to ASU/Chatty for one of the four most interesting games of the day (hard to choose a top one - NDSU/KU, JSU/Ole Miss and UMass/W&M, ASU/Chatty - just great games to make you happy to be a fan).

App-a-latch-un
September 5th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Nooga is an impressively most improved team in the SoCon over the past 2 years. Amazing opening conference game. Didn't think I could be more excited about this season than I was, but I am. That said, it was the first game of the season and there are so many variables and kinks to work out that nobody can really be sure what we just saw except an awesome competition.

Side note for ASU, I've had serious reservations and doubts about DeAndre but I have full confidence in him now.

We most likely just saw the best matchup in the SoCon this year.

Good luck for the rest of the season guys, glad we don't have to play you again, wish the championship was still in nooga.

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

KiddBrewer
September 5th, 2010, 01:50 AM
a few things:

1) the university of tennessee - chattanooga has a football team.
1a) they are pretty darn good this year.
1b) they have gotten 1000% better in the last....4 years.
1c) they could have easily beaten us, but thankfully they didnt. but, i think the rest of the season will prove that if they had, it would have not been a disgrace.

2) i feel the mutual respect flowing through AGS.com, and i love it

3) The Southern Conference is going to be very interesting.
3a)...........wait for it........i still predict we dont lose a socon game.....yep......said it.....

AppStsGr8
September 5th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Awesome game! UTC is definitely the most improved SoCon team over the past two years. Thoughts from the game ...
- BJ Coleman is a master of misdirection. Great moves.
- App's offense clicks just fine with DeAndre Presley at QB
- App's defense still needs work to function at a high level the whole game
- UTC kicking game will need to improve to win key games (hopefully, the injury bug will leave soon)
- UTC fans showed up in fine fashion. Great job on the whiteout!

We met some great UTC fans both before and after the game who have every right to be encouraged that the Mocs can be a force in the SoCon.

OL FU
September 5th, 2010, 08:45 AM
If Chattanooga can put together four qts like the first two or if App can put together 4 quarters like the last one, then we are looking at the best two teams in the conference.

But, of course that isn't necessarily the way it is going to be.xsmiley_wix

My take, Chattanooga looked **** good to start, but that may have been as bad a first half as I have seen from ASU in a long time. Could not tackle could not run the offense. I was pretty darn shocked. On the other hand, ASU certainly looked like ASU the last 20 minutes of the game. They were helped by the Mocs implosion. That is the difference between a team that is used to winning and knows it can win and one that still has that to learn.

It was an exciting game. The only conclusion I came away with was that both teams have lots of potential to be near the top. For ASU it will depend on whether they started with the first game jitters and shooked it off to play like they can. For the Mocs, it will be whether the can keep the excitement of the first half and shake off the disappointment of losing and future disappointments which I am thinking they will have.

Main Point, good to see the Mocs back in the competitionxnodx

SpeedkingATL
September 5th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Chattanooga went from one of the WORST gameday experiences to one of the best in the SoCon. We had a great time and also saw a great football game. UTC is a program on the rise for sure!

biggie
September 5th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I jinxed myself saying we needed Tanyi, as he looks to be out for the season now.

PaladinNation
September 5th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I really enjoyed watching the game. Hats off to UTC and APP for playing with grit and doing what they had to do to win.

Did it make me worry as to how the Dins match up? No. BL has really improved team speed and athletic ability on both sides of the ball. UTC's outside speed caused problems for APP… Mims, Forcier, Uhaa, Brown, Williams, and Maples as a group are faster.

I'm curious to see how Furman plays in its season opener… if they play as expected, I think we've got a wide open SoCon title race.

ASUMountaineer
September 5th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I have to disagree, we missed a FG attempt too, so it would have been a wash.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2010, 01:04 PM
My question is this...App had three players on defense make the preseason all-american team. They give up 41 points in game one to a UTC team that lost their best offensive player to graduation and had a "good but not great" offense a year ago.

Did UTC develop a fantastic offense in the offseason, or is App State's defense not quite as good as having three all americans would indicate?

I, for one, thought that game would be close, but with App breaking in a new QB and UTC trying to turn a corner the game would be relatively low scoring. I was quite surprised with the 83 points scored.

jmufan999
September 5th, 2010, 01:08 PM
it's amazing how they go from laughing stock to amazing in one game. denial ain't just a river in egypt. and before someone says something about us playing a crappy team... you don't hear me talking about how good jmu is after beating them. they were terrible. both sides of the ball.

CharlestonAppFan
September 5th, 2010, 01:19 PM
My question is this...App had three players on defense make the preseason all-american team. They give up 41 points in game one to a UTC team that lost their best offensive player to graduation and had a "good but not great" offense a year ago.

Did UTC develop a fantastic offense in the offseason, or is App State's defense not quite as good as having three all americans would indicate?

I, for one, thought that game would be close, but with App breaking in a new QB and UTC trying to turn a corner the game would be relatively low scoring. I was quite surprised with the 83 points scored.

This is not meant as an excuse:

1) New defensive coordinator and new defensive backs coach (this coach is the main cause of the DB confusion IMO)
2) Jabari Fletcher - our all everything DE - didn't start and only played in 2nd half if I can remember correctly. caused fumble on BJ coleman and got a sack in only a couple of series that he played (concussion in preseason)
3) DJ Smith - all american LB - you got me here, he only had a few tackles (6 I think) but has two new LBs beside him - I saw him trying to correct other two LBs about their positions all game long
4) Langston Tanyi - other all everything DE - didn't play and possibly out for the year with toe surgery slated
5) on a side note, Devon Moore our all everything RB, didn't play either...quad injury and concussion in preseason

thmst30
September 5th, 2010, 01:21 PM
it's amazing how they go from laughing stock to amazing in one game. denial ain't just a river in egypt. and before someone says something about us playing a crappy team... you don't hear me talking about how good jmu is after beating them. they were terrible. both sides of the ball.
Chattanooga wasn't a laughing stock coming into this game. Anyone with an ounce of SoCon knowledge knows that their program has been on the rise the past couple of years. I expected them to be solid before the game even started. App struggled for sure, but we aren't pumping up Chattanooga to feel better about those struggles.

GaSouthern
September 5th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Based on the yards Samford put up against Florida State and knowing how good Furman will be I think this is the best top to bottom SoCon in maybe a decade! This should be a fun season!

ElonPride
September 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Elon looks like they're going to lose on the road at Duke, but they're putting up a damned respectable showing - should be interesting,

Was quite the game to keep up with on live stats. Nearly 1000 yards of total offense....both teams kept the ball moving! It was nice seeing the score in the 4th quarter at 27-20, but Duke ended up wearing us out.

Hopefully the question was answered: Can Elon's offense survive without Hudgins? Looks as if the answer is yes seeing the team ran the ball fairly well and put up over 400 yards of offense on an FBS team.

The defense is pretty young, and was exposed all night. But there's nothing like throwing them to the wolves against ACC competition in their first game. We were also without Jamal Schuman and our starting center. Nice to the the redshirt freshman did well for himself!

I hate that I couldn't watch App/Chatty. Looks like it was a heck of a game.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Man, it wasn't that long that Furman, App State, and GSU could smother you with defense as much as they could hang 40 points on you. Doesn't look like any team in the conference plays defense anymore.

Guess
September 5th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I am not sure hanging 41 on APP's D yesterday is proof positive that the Mocs are on the cusp of a special season this year. APP's D looked pretty porous for most of the game. It might, just might, be that plenty of teams will being scoring at will on APP this season (unless they tighten things up). I am not surprised the APP fans are quick to tip their collective hats and lob praise on their opponent. It's always better to have defeated a great team than to have let an average team almost beat you. Time will tell.

atlfcsfan
September 5th, 2010, 04:25 PM
This is not meant as an excuse:

1) New defensive coordinator and new defensive backs coach (this coach is the main cause of the DB confusion IMO)
2) Jabari Fletcher - our all everything DE - didn't start and only played in 2nd half if I can remember correctly. caused fumble on BJ coleman and got a sack in only a couple of series that he played (concussion in preseason)
3) DJ Smith - all american LB - you got me here, he only had a few tackles (6 I think) but has two new LBs beside him - I saw him trying to correct other two LBs about their positions all game long
4) Langston Tanyi - other all everything DE - didn't play and possibly out for the year with toe surgery slated
5) on a side note, Devon Moore our all everything RB, didn't play either...quad injury and concussion in preseason

Also 3 All Americans dont make your defense, there are 8 other guys out there. Fletcher did start out slow and came on strong at the end, with the sacks and fumble recoveries. Legree played ok, but it did seem like there was definitely a lot of confusion and finger pointing in the secondary, that definitly has to be worked out. Legree did make a couple of great defensive plays. As far as with DJ Smith, I dont think it was necessarily he had a bad game, I think it might be a positional issue with him. he plays OLB and seems as though he was positioned to support the pass defense which precipitated a low tackle count.

james_lawfirm
September 5th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Still not sure why Fletcher didn't start the game.

Would have helped to have the othe normal starting DE (Tanyi) as well as starting RB (Moore) and WR (Coco).

Was surprised at the level of Chatty, last year I felt they were close because of the 2 onside kicks, this year they were just good. We have a lot to improve on, that's for sure, maybe having this game 1st will help the team.

Fletcher did not start b/c he was still recovering from shoulder surgery in the off-season. You could see that he still was not 100%, as he favored that shoulder & it did not look to me he could raise his arm much.

Unfortunately, Tanyi appears to be out for the season with a toe injury (drat, drat, DRAT!!!) & Moore was cleared to play by the team doc at Chatty - Coach Moore must have decided to let him rest another game just to be sure. Coco served the first of a two game suspension for breaking team rules with his DUI.

Two more offensive weapons will just add to the great offense. We need the defense to step up! They have the talent, they just need to put it to use.

And, I agree with you - UTC was GOOD!

phoenix3
September 5th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Excuse me if I'm reluctant to herald Chatty as the new heir apparrent to the Socon Crown. I'm much more likely to be a little suspect of Appy's 2010 effort. Strategic losses and a flacid effort on Appy's part dosen't translate into genuflection for UTC to me. I'm a little more likely to look at Appy's ablity than I am at UTC's ability at this point.

I do agree, however, that UTC's QB is the real deal.

AshevilleApp
September 6th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I am not sure hanging 41 on APP's D yesterday is proof positive that the Mocs are on the cusp of a special season this year. APP's D looked pretty porous for most of the game. It might, just might, be that plenty of teams will being scoring at will on APP this season (unless they tighten things up). I am not surprised the APP fans are quick to tip their collective hats and lob praise on their opponent. It's always better to have defeated a great team than to have let an average team almost beat you. Time will tell.

Perhaps you forgot to read the posts where I was critical of our secondary play??

AshevilleApp
September 6th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Excuse me if I'm reluctant to herald Chatty as the new heir apparrent to the Socon Crown. I'm much more likely to be a little suspect of Appy's 2010 effort. Strategic losses and a flacid effort on Appy's part dosen't translate into genuflection for UTC to me. I'm a little more likely to look at Appy's ablity than I am at UTC's ability at this point.

I disagree here, Apps deficiencies - which there were many - would have been hidden behind a 40-7 or something score had they decided to host a patsy for their first game. Chatty took advantage of those weaknesses with good coaching, well placed throws and some trick plays. That shows me that UTC is coming to play this season.

Apps03
September 6th, 2010, 07:55 AM
OPENING GAME on the ROAD against an improving CONFERENCE opponent who heralded this game as one of the most important in history. Its a game in the W column. I think people are looking for any ounce of evidence the Mountaineers are stumbling (I don't blame you, I hoped GSU would stumble every week when they were dominating teams too). It may still happen but I'd be interested to read this thread again after each of you play UTC this season.

OL FU
September 6th, 2010, 08:05 AM
It is difficult to draw conclusions about either teams except (1) Chatt is certainly better and on the rise and (2) App knows how to win.

The first half for ASU was AWFUL. But that may have just been sloppiness in the first game against a very very motivated Chatt team.

Time will tell. People shouldn't draw too many conclusions from one game especially the first game of the year.

AppMan
September 6th, 2010, 08:50 AM
It comes as no suprise to see some opposing fans being critical of the Apps effort. They desperately look for any indication the Mountaineers have slipped. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high just yet. As far as the defense goes consider this. UTC scored their 28th point at the 5:15 mark of the 2nd quarter. Over the next 35:15 (9 possessions) the Mocs gained 242 yards and 13 points, punted 4 times, gave up 3 QB sacks and numerous QB hurries resulting in 2 fumbles. The last TD drive was aided by a questionable PI penalty 30 yards from where the ball was thrown, but give UTC credit for making some big plays and getting in the endzone. ASU's anemic offense through most of three quarters was vintage Jerry Moore breaking in a new QB, vanilla and predictable. After we got down by so much and time became an issue he had to open things up and everyone saw the results. If I were opposing defensive coordinators I'd be more concerned with this offesnse than the past four years. So many weapons. A running game that picked up 166 yards with its top back on the sideline and a QB that was 22 of 29, 2 TD's, 0 INTs, with 3 drops and 2 throw aways against a very skilled secondary. If ASU avoids any serious injuries and plays to their potential, the Apps are 10-0 headed to Gainesville.

OL FU
September 6th, 2010, 10:08 AM
It comes as no suprise to see some opposing fans being critical of the Apps effort. They desperately look for any indication the Mountaineers have slipped. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high just yet. .

Different take, people are speculating on the only information they have. Personally I think one game and especially this game is too little information to draw conclusions (other than both teams had a split personality last saturday) but it is all we got right now.

OldSouth
September 6th, 2010, 11:12 AM

Well we have to anoint someone else because people have been trying to give Elon the crown, since apparently App is in decline, for two years and y'all can't seem to get it done.

james_lawfirm
September 6th, 2010, 02:17 PM

Just hold yer taters, you'll get to see Appy's 2010 effort soon enough. I agree with OL FU, UTC came out motivated & excited and App took their best shot and knows how to win. I'll say this - I saw nothing going on that was not correctable, and I saw a lot that I liked.

Native
September 6th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Congrats to the Mocs for playing a surprisingly tough game!

No doubt Chatty has improved over the recent past, but the un-asked question remains, what is up with App State this year? Why did they struggle at first? Are more suprises in store?

biggie
September 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
...but the un-asked question remains, what is up with App State this year? Why did they struggle at first? Are more suprises in store?
Some of it has to be adjustments to almost all new coaching staff (5-6 new asst coaches if I remember correctly), at least from the defensive point. And a new slightly new Def scheme. That and the best 2 DEs not starting, though Fletcher recovered and Tanyi apparently out for season now. That will be on going, because we have to get pressure. Not sure why the DBs couldn't cover, only 1 new starter there.

On offense the new QB probably didn't help at first, then missing the Num 1 RB and one of the top WRs didn't help. Hopfully RB (Moore) is back next week, he was cleared for UTC game but not allowed to play. Coco will serve his 2nd suspension game this coming week and then be back.

OL FU
September 6th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Congrats to the Mocs for playing a surprisingly tough game!

No doubt Chatty has improved over the recent past, but the un-asked question remains, what is up with App State this year? Why did they struggle at first? Are more suprises in store?

Second year in a row ASU has struggled out of the gate. Looking back on last year I think most would agree if the McNeese game had been played later in the season, ASU wins that one. An first game struggle was no surprise on offense with the new QB, coaches etc.

Not Sure about the defense. They tightened up in the second half. During the first half their D looked a lot like Furman's last yearxeyebrowx:D

Honestly I think the bigger questions is what happens to the Mocs. It was obvious when things started going badly they couldn't react to get it straightened out until right at the end of the game. Kudos for that as it was a big turn around.

Some are saying Jacksonville state may have a let down after they big win but I don't think so. They will be dedicating their new stadium, riding high after a big win and looking to show the world they are for real. If ASU had crushed Chat, JSU may be overlooking them. The close game gives them more reasons to try and win big.

Chatt may be 0-2 going into a stretch where they need to win the next 4 straight (EKU, WCU, CIT and GSU, all doable) before going into Furman. If they don't win all 4 or at least the conference games, their season will be regulated to spoiler very quickly.

On the other hand, that is still a big improvement that gets a lot of applause xsmileyclapx

On the other other hand, if they beat JSU, watch out.

SoCon48
September 6th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Had ASU made its FG, ASU would have still won regardless of UT's missed XP's all else being the same..

SoCon48
September 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM

Guess we'll have to wait until October 9th to find out, won't we?

phoenixphanatic21
September 6th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Guess we'll have to wait until October 9th to find out, won't we?

xnodx I'm counting down already.

As for this game:
A. I expected Chatty to be very strong this year. I'm not that surprised they gave App a run for their money.
B. I'm not gonna try to take too much else out of this game since the schizophrenia shown by both teams was just insane. I don't think I've ever seen such a change in two halves before.

SideLine Shooter
September 6th, 2010, 05:42 PM
xnodx I'm counting down already.

As for this game:
A. I expected Chatty to be very strong this year. I'm not that surprised they gave App a run for their money.
B. I'm not gonna try to take too much else out of this game since the schizophrenia shown by both teams was just insane. I don't think I've ever seen such a change in two halves before.

I did, it was at JMU two years ago.xbabycryxxshakingmadx

biggie
September 6th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Had ASU made its FG, ASU would have still won regardless of UT's missed XP's all else being the same..
On a side note, has been mentioned in places, the App FG looked just as good as the UTC FG that was called good. Amazed me. Also amazing was the 49 yd FG went over top of the post. Could have been from 65 yds or more.

GreatAppSt
September 6th, 2010, 10:28 PM
First off... great game TrainBirds. I won't be able to eat for days now...

Secondly, the PAT thing was tough for UTC. However, let's not forget that ASU had the ball with 3 min left and a 7 point lead (would have been 4) and basically tried to kill the clock. Had UTC made those 3 kicks, ASU would probably not have just sat on the ball and would have gone for a score instead of running on 3rd and 6. At that point in the game, ASU was scoring at will and PROBABLY would have scored 3, if not 7 more.

What he said.

Umpire
September 7th, 2010, 12:58 AM
DeAndre Presley throws a touchdown to himself to win the game. Kudos to the center for the heads up play in snapping the ball when UTC jumped for the "free play".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBd2u9bz0iI

Waco Kid
September 7th, 2010, 09:18 AM
One of our assitant coaches said UTC showed a lot of new looks on offense that we didn't see on film. I'm guessing Huesman started game planning for this back in March, and it took a while for the Apps to adjust. We really shut down the UTC passing game from the midpoint of the 2nd qt until the final drive of the game. After the UTC score to make it 22-7 with 11:30 left in the 2nd qt the Mocs only had 126 pass yards until the the final drive of the game that started with 2:56 left in the 4th. So basically they only managed 125 yards passing over a 40 minute span. I think the secondary will be just fine after a few tweaks.

CrackerRiley
September 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM
DeAndre Presley throws a touchdown to himself to win the game. Kudos to the center for the heads up play in snapping the ball when UTC jumped for the "free play".

I just realized, he did something that I was never able to do on the Xbox. There is an achievement for scoring a passing, rushing, and receiving touchdown in a game with one player...
http://achievements.schrankmonster.de/Achievement.aspx?text=ASU!%20ASU!%20ASU!

blazrdog#1
September 7th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Appy State being weak on defense this year.Just look at the stats and experience at each position.Pursuit Defense(chasing the ball carrier downfield) is an oxymoron.Just an observation not smack as usual.

OL FU
September 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM
What he said.

That is a good point. Something I have said many times when fans say that one blown call by the ref cost us the game. Sometimes there is truth in that but most of the time that one play called different simply changes the way the rest of the game is played.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2010, 05:52 PM
One of our assitant coaches said UTC showed a lot of new looks on offense that we didn't see on film. I'm guessing Huesman started game planning for this back in March, and it took a while for the Apps to adjust. We really shut down the UTC passing game from the midpoint of the 2nd qt until the final drive of the game. After the UTC score to make it 22-7 with 11:30 left in the 2nd qt the Mocs only had 126 pass yards until the the final drive of the game that started with 2:56 left in the 4th. So basically they only managed 125 yards passing over a 40 minute span. I think the secondary will be just fine after a few tweaks.

No offense my friend, but Moore was preparing for the Mocs just as Husemann was preparing for the Mounties. Skew the stats all you would like. App won a close game. At times they were getting beat soundly on defense by a UTC team that was good, but not great, on offense in 2009. Still, they won, and that's what matters.

There are really two questions to be answered. The first is whether UTC developed a world beater offense. The second is whether App's defense is not nearly as good as people thought. Could be either. We won't know the answer to either question until conference play starts.

Saint3333
September 7th, 2010, 07:46 PM
ASU did not begin preparing for UTC until the week before the game and went through the regular game week prep. Whether that is a good move or not they did not spend more than the one week with a "UTC scout team" in place. I'm sure the coaches reviewed plenty of tape of all the opponents from the prior year, but as far as player prep for UTC that is it. I can't speak to what UTC did.

Skjellyfetti
September 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM
There are really two questions to be answered. The first is whether UTC developed a world beater offense. The second is whether App's defense is not nearly as good as people thought. Could be either. We won't know the answer to either question until conference play starts.

I think the first questioned is answered. Chattanooga's offense is much, much better than it was last year. They had a decent passing attack last year... but, they had no rushing game at all. Their whole offensive line is back, they can run the ball... and it opens up their play action passing (which is what really got to App).

App's defense has started the season terribly the last 3 years. I don't know why. I'm assuming it will come together... but, I agree that it's certainly a question mark at this point.

However, the biggest question coming into the season was our quarterback play... and I think DeAndre already silenced quite a few critics. xnodx

Also, conference play has already started and App is in the lead. xsmiley_wixxthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
September 7th, 2010, 08:25 PM
No offense my friend, but Moore was preparing for the Mocs just as Husemann was preparing for the Mounties. Skew the stats all you would like. App won a close game. At times they were getting beat soundly on defense by a UTC team that was good, but not great, on offense in 2009. Still, they won, and that's what matters.There are really two questions to be answered. The first is whether UTC developed a world beater offense. The second is whether App's defense is not nearly as good as people thought. Could be either. We won't know the answer to either question until conference play starts.

A W is a W no matter what. That is if by a blow-out or an ugly win.

T-Dog
September 7th, 2010, 09:43 PM
How would the SoCon not be on high alert for App? We've now won 21 straight conference games. It's been over a 1,000 days since App has lost a conference game and every team has been apart of that streak, home and away.

I seriously doubt because we lost our QB that people would take us any easier than before. I can almost guarantee you that every SoCon team wants to beat App more than any other team in the league at this point.

Skjellyfetti
September 7th, 2010, 11:02 PM
How would the SoCon not be on high alert for App?

I think the "high alert" was for Chatty.

sav eagle34
September 8th, 2010, 11:18 AM
you appies picked up a good guy in coach sloan in the secondary. if you didn't know he was with us until the sewak regime was dismissed...ugh. in his last job he hired several gsu players from our '05 class. everytime you guys got torched in the secondary i was hoping that coach sloan hatched a plan to undermine app's program from within xlolx. this game was a tough one to watch from a gsu perspective. chatt has a chance to be good. their defense was suprisingly good in the first half & armanti or not i couldn't believe the difficulty app was having moving the ball. i don't think i've seen app's o-line struggle like that since '03. and then came half time and the interview with coach hueisman. you could tell that he was trying to hold back his elation and then he caught himself and mentioned the 3 points left on the field and proceeded to say something like "it's a looong way from over". the second half played out like a bad b horror movie. you knew it was coming but you just couldn't believe it. i've never had a next day hangover for another team, but the first thing i thought when i woke up sunday morning was "i can't believe chatt let that game get away from them." the worst part being what kind of confidence a game like that can give a team like app going forward. to them anything will be possible now. as far as d'andre presley goes, i think that he can run this offense well. he looked so much like armanti in passing style. the wind up and everything. however, he didn't really break the pocket saturday. i'm curious to see how this plays out going forward. that dimension of yall's offense is what makes it so unstoppable. it's obvious he's got the arm to handle app's vertical passing game but will he have that 'something special' when everything else breaks down? we will see. of course getting richardson back will help but i was really suprised at the lack of ability to run it early on. credit chatt, but there was nothing there early. very interested to see how they play @ jax st. saturday. a loss like that can not only ruin your season but can kill the moral that that staff is building there. a win and they'll be real dangerous going forward. it's shaping up to be perhaps the most interesting season in the socon in a few years. should be fun!

Smitty
September 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Wow I stopped reading due to my eyes bleeding...

Space out some of your text man