PDA

View Full Version : FCS Exhibition Game in Tanzania

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2010, 01:10 PM
Must have missed this earlier in the week...

DES MOINES, IOWA – The Drake University football team has a date with history when it will travel to the country of Tanzania in Africa to play the first American football game ever on the continent.

Drake will play an all-star team from Mexico, the CONADEIP All-Stars, representing the CONADEIP Conference, in the inaugural Global Kilimanjaro Bowl on May 21, 2011. The game will be held in Moshi, Tanzania, under the shadows of Mount Kilimanjaro.

The trip will begin on May 17, and following two practices, a football clinic for local youth and a safari, the two teams will meet on the field May 21.

http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15700&ATCLID=204986351

EmeryZach
September 2nd, 2010, 03:16 PM
Wow, that is pretty crazy! That is awesome for the players, it should be pretty cool. I have only hear good things about Tanzania. They have some beautiful resorts and safaris.

WestCoastAggie
September 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Wow.

Sly Fox
September 2nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
I guess Drake can afford those types of adventures with them not paying for scholarships and all. This Mexican squad sounds interesting as well. A number of Mexican prep schools have been playing games in Texas the past few weeks against some top caliber programs with limited success. I love seeing the game get traction south of the border.

jmufan999
September 2nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
"wow" was already taken so i'll go with... interesting.

PantherRob82
September 2nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
This will answer an age old question: Is the Pioneer league better than a team of Mexican all stars. xlolx

EKUSteve
September 2nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
Congrats. Good trip for the kids.

Squealofthepig
September 2nd, 2010, 09:47 PM
The Gods Must Be Crazy.

(If this provides a good amount of exposure, anywhere, for FCS, I'm all for it!)

Western_101
September 3rd, 2010, 06:28 AM
The players will be able to boast to their Kids about playing in a Bowl game in college.

Big Al
September 3rd, 2010, 07:56 AM
I guess Drake can afford those types of adventures with them not paying for scholarships and all.

Actually, they are fundraising to cover the costs of the trip. I don't think Drake will be much of the tab, if any.

nmatsen
September 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
I guess Drake can afford those types of adventures with them not paying for scholarships and all. This Mexican squad sounds interesting as well. A number of Mexican prep schools have been playing games in Texas the past few weeks against some top caliber programs with limited success. I love seeing the game get traction south of the border.

Then they should match up well with Drake.

appfan2008
September 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
That is awesome for the sport, for fcs, and for Drake... that is pretty cool for them... i hope they enjoy it!

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Should be fun to see

This isn't completely unheard of. Prior to the revolution, teams from the SEC played periodic exhibition games against the University of Havana. The Cubans even actually beat Ole Miss once

Should be a great experience for Drake, and for the Mexican team as well xnodx