View Full Version : FAMU Kicks Off Season In Hostile Miami Territory

MsippiRattler
September 2nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
http://rattlernews.tallahassee.com/a...FAMU03/9020331

Rattlers Must Bring 'A' game

Sep 2, 2010
By St. Clair Murraine
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

For programs like Miami, games like tonight are preseason matchups that college football teams don't have the fortune of playing.

For programs like Florida A&M, taking on the Hurricanes is a money-maker that gives the Rattlers a chance to play spoilers.

History is on Miami's side — the Hurricanes have won eight of their nine meetings — and that's one of the reasons why FAMU is a huge underdog.

One thing the two teams have in common, though, is they stand a chance that injuries could hurt more than either coach would want at this early stage of the season.

But FAMU coach Joe Taylor wasn't concerned about the potential of losing a key player or two to injury in a game that could also test both teams' depth.

"There is always that chance for injuries," Taylor said during FAMU's weekly press conference, "but the harder you work, the harder it is to fail."

The two teams met at midseason a year ago and FAMU escaped with only one casualty in Xavier Wallace, who was lost for the season. Miami had a handful of nicks but nothing serious enough to hurt their run to a 9-4 record and a bowl berth.

Just like last year when there were big games ahead for Miami to think about, the Hurricanes will get into the meat of their schedule right after they get done with FAMU. Ohio State is up next and that could pose as the Miami distraction that helps FAMU.

The Rattlers will take whatever they get, but listening to cornerback Qier Hall it seems they'll help themselves as best they can.

"Anytime you go on the field you've got to give it your all," Hall said.

Might that be a recipe for injury?

"Most times when somebody gets hurt it's when they're playing around," Hall said. "If you give it your all and you get injured it was meant to be.

"I'll be trying to help my team win at all costs, even if I get hurt."

Beating Miami will take a complete effort by FAMU.

Miami, ranked No. 13 in the USA Today/Coaches Poll, was chosen to finish second in the Coastal Division of the ACC in preseason coaches voting.

None of that seemed to faze Taylor, who clearly wasn't buying into all that's being said about his team not having a chance to upset Miami. Mention Miami's speed and he'll say FAMU can match that. Bring up talent level and Taylor believes more than a handful of his players can match Miami in that department too.

The big difference?

"I don't think they've got better athletes," Taylor said. "I think they have more (but) there are some guys on this team that can probably play there. I'm sure."

Having more depth perhaps is one reason Miami's coach Randy Shanahan didn't appear too concerned about injuries during his press conference earlier this week. He began by emphasizing that tonight's game is a sort of dress rehearsal for Miami.

Taylor thinks his team will have a chance of pulling off the upset if some of Miami's stars forget their lines.

"Once in a while you're going to catch one of them down, but the bottom line is you tell the kids to play fast," he said. "Well, they will get a chance to see what playing fast means."

But no matter the outcome, Taylor said his team will get something out of this game.

"We will come back and use that film," he said. "See that we didn't do as well as we should have done. This will be a great opportunity to show them what we're talking about."

Tonight at 7:30 n Radio: 96.1 FM n TV: ESPN3.com

Ud1Hens
September 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
It's not just that FAMU must bring their "A" game but Miami needs to bring their "D-" game. Good luck FAMU, no injuries!