PDA

View Full Version : Three I-As in a Given Season

TexasTerror
January 22nd, 2006, 07:40 AM
Three I-A games? Currently, Northwestern State is scheduled to play Kansas, Baylor and Ole Miss. Southeastern Louisiana is rumored to add New Mexico State in place of Henderson State to a schedule that already includes Southern Miss and Texas Tech.

The 12-game issue hasn't even been approved and we have I-AA schools reportedly scheduling three I-A games in a given season. Is money that much more important that actually winning?

catamount man
January 22nd, 2006, 07:45 AM
WCU did it back in 1986, losing at South Carolina, at Auburn, and at NC State. We actually gave NCSU a hell of a game that year, losing 31-18. Yes, we needed some major money at the time. Still finished 6-5 that year. Good luck to Northwestern State! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

BLUEEAGLE
January 22nd, 2006, 08:02 AM
Three I-A games? Currently, Northwestern State is scheduled to play Kansas, Baylor and Ole Miss. Southeastern Louisiana is rumored to add New Mexico State in place of Henderson State to a schedule that already includes Southern Miss and Texas Tech.

The 12-game issue hasn't even been approved and we have I-AA schools reportedly scheduling three I-A games in a given season. Is money that much more important that actually winning?

I would have to say yes. The cost of educating and housing scholarship athletes is rising at a much quicker rate than the revenues that are generated through ticket sales,Booster Contributions, ETC.. Add to this the cost of facility upgrades, coaches salaries and travel. Non-revenue producing sports are a huge finacial drain on the athletic budget. With limited or no TV revenue to share it becomes a very difficult proposition to generate enough revenue to support the athletic programs.

kats89
January 22nd, 2006, 08:27 AM
We have our two this year, Texas and SMU, and right after the football season it was rumored we were gonna possibly add Rice to the mix, but with only 4 home games scheduled right now, chances are we will book another DII or possibly a I-AA program. With UCA coming into the conference in the next several years, that will add another conference game to the sked and cut back on OOC games. I personally look for SHSU to book two I-A's every year if possible.

TexasTerror
January 22nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
We have our two this year, Texas and SMU, and right after the football season it was rumored we were gonna possibly add Rice to the mix, but with only 4 home games scheduled right now, chances are we will book another DII or possibly a I-AA program. With UCA coming into the conference in the next several years, that will add another conference game to the sked and cut back on OOC games. I personally look for SHSU to book two I-A's every year if possible.

I really don't know how those Rice rumors started in the first place. Rice had announced before the end of their season, the entire non-conference slate for their team (Florida St, UCLA, Army and Texas). It got a lot of run in the weeks before the end of their season because it was going to be another grueling season, but they had to do it (in terms of scheduling money games)...

Go...gate
January 22nd, 2006, 02:57 PM
Don't know what the big deal is here. Colgate has played two or three 1-A's in an 11-game season several times since joining 1-AA.

1982: Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple

1983: Army, Rutgers, Wyoming

1984: Army, Rutgers

1985: Army, Rutgers

1987: Duke, Army, Syracuse

1991: Army, Duke

1993: Rutgers, Army, Navy

1997: Army, Navy

What is wrong with stretch games? Why not test yourself against the best possible competition?

UNHWildCats
January 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
Don't know what the big deal is here. Colgate has played two or three 1-A's in an 11-game season several times since joining 1-AA.

What is wrong with stretch games? Why not test yourself against the best possible competition?

Does Duke count as a I-A team? LOL j/k

TxSt02
January 22nd, 2006, 05:19 PM

best possible competition??? get real!

Ronbo
January 22nd, 2006, 05:29 PM
If you're going to schedule 3 I-A's a season for the money you may as well go I-A because you won't make the I-AA playoffs. Unless you get your Conference auto bid. But think about it, in most seasons that gets you off to an 0-3 start before you've even taken the field. :bang: Heck there is a 20% faction of Griz fans that are bitchin' about the Griz starting 0-1 next season.

NSUDemon98
January 22nd, 2006, 06:09 PM

Normally, this wouldn't happen. But I don't think people fully understand the financial hit all the schools in Louisiana are about to be hit with. Some are going to feel the hit more than others. Schools with lots of money and donors like LaTech and UL-L won't be hit hard b/c they have money of their own to supplement. But NSU, for whatever reason, has always been the lowest funded school in the ULSystem.

The single reason for playing these teams is to fill some wholes that the budget cuts are going to leave us with. If NSU could pack 15,000 a game into Turpin we wouldn't have to "whore" ourselves out.

NSUDemon98
January 22nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
If you're going to schedule 3 I-A's a season for the money you may as well go I-A because you won't make the I-AA playoffs. Unless you get your Conference auto bid. But think about it, in most seasons that gets you off to an 0-3 start before you've even taken the field. :bang: Heck there is a 20% faction of Griz fans that are bitchin' about the Griz starting 0-1 next season.

Not to sound negative, but next year will be a rebuilding year with 75% of our team being freshmen, sophomore or will be a starter for the first time next season. The likely hood of us going to the playoffs next year even without the 3 I-As is highly unlikely.

Don't get me wrong. We have had two stellar recruiting classes in 2003 and 2005 so we won't be bad and will have loads of talent. We will just be extremely young.

HiHiYikas
January 22nd, 2006, 06:42 PM
The East Carolina/South Carolina/Wake Forest trio was pretty common for us in the 70's. In 1975 (a few years before I-AA was created) we went 3-0 against those 3. Looks like we went 0-3 against Va Tech, ECU, and Wake in 1979. Lost to Wake, NC State, and Clemson in 1990.

Otherwise, it's usually 1 I-A and several seasons against 2 I-A's for us.

blackfordpu
January 22nd, 2006, 07:00 PM

I wouldn't really call that one a I-A game. More like a mid-major I-A/I-AA game. :) :rotateh: :smiley_wi

TexasTerror
January 22nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't really call that one a I-A game. More like a mid-major I-A/I-AA game. :) :rotateh: :smiley_wi

Baylor is turning the corner. They had that big win over Iowa State and one over Oklahoma State. Lost to Oklahoma in 2 OT and should've beat A&M for the second year in a row this past year. They get either one of those two games, they'd be bowl-bound. Yes, at 6-5, but still.

blackfordpu
January 22nd, 2006, 07:36 PM
Baylor is turning the corner. They had that big win over Iowa State and one over Oklahoma State. Lost to Oklahoma in 2 OT and should've beat A&M for the second year in a row this past year. They get either one of those two games, they'd be bowl-bound. Yes, at 6-5, but still.

Yes, but the Big XII, as a whole, sucked this year.

jmuroller
January 22nd, 2006, 07:37 PM
If you need to schedule 3 1A's for the money, then you should just drop to non-scholly. Isn't the goal for every team to get to the playoffs and win a Nat'l Championship? Starting your season off 0-3 doesn't help much. I know if I am a HS kid and the coach tells me we are playing at least 2 1A's a year I go somewhere else. There is a line that you can cross from challenging your team against better competition and committing suicide.

Ronbo
January 22nd, 2006, 07:42 PM

Yeah, every year there's lot's of optimism when a team plays a Houston or San Jose State, but gentlemen these teams have 85 schollies. Even a San Jose State would be a top 5 team in I-AA, ask EWU.

Go...gate
January 22nd, 2006, 07:54 PM
You want a school with an enrollment of 2,700 to play anybody else? Let's have your thoughts.

Tod
January 22nd, 2006, 08:13 PM

SELA at NMSU is probably one of the best chances I-AA has next year of beating a I-A. I don't know how improved the Aggies will be, if at all, but they went 0-12 last year. But I don't know much about SELA either, so... :confused: :) :)

blukeys
January 22nd, 2006, 08:30 PM
If this is what Northwestern needs to keep the program in the black then I say go for it. The SLC has an auto bid. If they win the conference they get the auto bid regardless of how many I-A schools they lose to.

TxSt02
January 22nd, 2006, 08:30 PM
You want a school with an enrollment of 2,700 to play anybody else? Let's have your thoughts.

i think its fine what you guys are doing or have done... just dont consider temple, army, rutgers and navy the "best competition" out there...

GeauxLions94
January 22nd, 2006, 08:33 PM
SELA at NMSU is probably one of the best chances I-AA has next year of beating a I-A. I don't know how improved the Aggies will be, if at all, but they went 0-12 last year. But I don't know much about SELA either, so... :confused: :) :)

It's Hal Mumme's Current Air Raid vs. Hal Mumme's Former Air Raid. I like our chances since our defense and coaching staff will be better than theirs. :nod:

Go...gate
January 22nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
Temple, Army, Rutgers and Navy aren't the best possible for, say, a Boston College. But they are stretch games for 1-AA Colgate and its 55 equivalencies, and very tough step-up games for almost all 1-AA teams.

Tod
January 22nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
It's Hal Mumme's Current Air Raid vs. Hal Mumme's Former Air Raid. I like our chances since our defense and coaching staff will be better than theirs. :nod:

Heyyyyyy...I may be a bit slow, but I just realized I can go to that game! According to Mapquest it's about 222 miles from Albuquerque to Las Cruces. I guess it will depend on the date, but my wife says she'd like to go. Any chance you'll be there, GL?

golionsgo
January 22nd, 2006, 11:20 PM
If you need to schedule 3 1A's for the money, then you should just drop to non-scholly. Isn't the goal for every team to get to the playoffs and win a Nat'l Championship? Starting your season off 0-3 doesn't help much. I know if I am a HS kid and the coach tells me we are playing at least 2 1A's a year I go somewhere else. There is a line that you can cross from challenging your team against better competition and committing suicide.

No offense but if I'm a college coach at a I-AA school and you tell me you're going somewhere else because we're playing two I-A schools, I'm saying, "WHEW! Glad we didn't get that mistake!"

TxSt02
January 22nd, 2006, 11:33 PM
Temple, Army, Rutgers and Navy aren't the best possible for, say, a Boston College. But they are stretch games for 1-AA Colgate and its 55 equivalencies, and very tough step-up games for almost all 1-AA teams.

that's a fair statement...

McNeese75
January 23rd, 2006, 07:33 PM

Well, I will be pulling for the Lions, Mumme S*%ks :nod:

kats89
January 23rd, 2006, 07:53 PM

If our coach pulls his head out of his azz then Sam Houston will have a chance to pull one out against SMU. We could have beat UH last year if his head wasn't up his rear while on the sideline.