PDA

View Full Version : New SoCon Commish and Expansion

OL FU
January 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM
I grabbed this from Mocfans.com

I don't know if CCU is mentioned because the article is from Myrtle Beach or if there is real interest. My guess is the interest is real.

from Myrtle Beach Online)

John Iamarino knows exactly what he's getting himself into.

The newly appointed Southern Conference commissioner - who formerly held the same position for the Northeast Conference - will begin his new duties Jan. 30, and even before he makes his move to the Spartanburg office, Iamarino has already been confronted with expansion.

"Any time you're at an odd number, you're asked when you're going to get an even number," Iamarino said by phone Thursday from New Jersey, where he his serving out his final weeks with the NEC.

That even number, Iamarino said, isn't necessarily 12 teams. The 11-team Southern Conference, he said could eventually expand to as many as 14 schools, further increasing the chances that Coastal Carolina could move from the Big South Conference.

Iamarino also said that as of Thursday, he had not had any conversations with Coastal Carolina Athletic Director Warren Koegel or university President Ronald Ingle. When, and if, that happens, Iamarino said he would first talk with Big South Commissioner Kyle Kallander.

"I don't have any preconceived notions; I need to talk to [Southern Conference] athletic directors and get a better feel from them," said Iamarino, who added that he has already begun to look at several school's Web sites to get a feel for potential new members.

While most people agree that a strong football program is No. 1 need on the Southern Conference's possible expansion, Iamarino's baseball background could help Coastal.

Iamarino has been a member of the NCAA baseball rules committee, something that would bode well for a team with the Chanticleers' recent success on the diamond.

Still, Iamarino - who addressed expansion with the Southern Conference while he was interviewing for the job - said the process won't be rushed simply because the league ended it's eight-month span without a commissioner.

"Expansion is high on the list," Iamarino said, "But I don't feel like we need a knee-jerk reaction."

at (843) 626-0315 or at [email protected]. Also ask Ian questions about Coastal Carolina athletics at MyrtleBeachOnline.com.

TexasTerror
January 21st, 2006, 02:00 PM
If they are looking for a decent football team and it's obvious the Big South is the most likely place to pluck expansion from, the only school that is realistic is Coastal Carolina. No one else in that conference is worth taking...whether it VMI, Liberty, Chuck South or Gardner-Webb...

What else are the Chants good at besides football and baseball?

nlwwln
January 21st, 2006, 02:06 PM
so its offical coastal is moving to the socon

OL FU
January 21st, 2006, 02:09 PM
If they are looking for a decent football team and it's obvious the Big South is the most likely place to pluck expansion from, the only school that is realistic is Coastal Carolina. No one else in that conference is worth taking...whether it VMI, Liberty, Chuck South or Gardner-Webb...

Those are the only two sports I know of, but then I don't know that much about the Chants. Discussed before but here are the issues:

SoCon needs a team closer to Chattanooga. JSU and Samford appear to be the main possibilities but I am not sure either are really interested. Also, alot of people from Chattanooga seem to think they would be better off in the OVC.

SoCon needs to broaden out of the Carolinas, but there are not that many possible schools. Also, staying within the Carolinas is cost efficient.

My guess is (and I don't agree) if there is opposition to CCU, it will be from the small and the private schools. I saw on another board where those schools wanted Samford. But this is typical stuff in the SoCon. Furman, Wofford, Citadel don't want to be outvoted by the big schools.

Next candidate needs to play football. We have 11 schools with two non-football schools and Davidson in the PFL.

My guess is CCU will get an offer sometime this year.

OL FU
January 21st, 2006, 02:10 PM

The article states that the new commish has not spoken to CCU or the Big South. The article also states that the new commissioner needs to talk to the other SoCon schools first. Nothing is official

Coastal89
January 21st, 2006, 02:27 PM
Mens soccar has made the NCAAs for 4 straight years

3 of the 5 starters on mens golf are in the top 100 players ranked by USGA.

Mens BBis improving. 10-19 last year(2004-05) 8-8 so far (05-06) and should finish over .500

Womens sports are all competative.

OL FU
January 21st, 2006, 02:29 PM
Mens soccar has made the NCAAs for 4 straight years

3 of the 5 starters on mens golf are in the top 100 players ranked by USGA.

Mens BBis improving. 10-19 last year(2004-05) 8-8 so far (05-06) and should finish over .500

Womens sports are all competative.

Why does golf not surprise me

nlwwln
January 21st, 2006, 03:32 PM
may as well be, everyone knows coastal is a perfect fit for the socon

The Gadfly
January 21st, 2006, 06:46 PM
Why does golf not surprise me

The weird thing is that we JUST started to become competitive :confused:

Sly Fox
January 21st, 2006, 06:49 PM
Pipe down, 89. Let the Appy boys do all the talking. :D

Seriously, just because the SoCon comes calling doesn't mean its a slam dunk from what has been trickling out of Conway.

Come on TexasTerror, don't be hating. CCU wasn't head & shoulders above the rest of the league this year and the rest of us in the Big South are showing signs of life.

Mr. Tiger
January 21st, 2006, 07:33 PM
SoCon needs to broaden out of the Carolinas, but there are not that many possible schools. Also, staying within the Carolinas is cost efficient.

Is the SoCon overlooking Hampton and South Carolina State? Both schools along with Coastal would be the teams I would go after. All three schools are building their football programs into winners. And Hampton's basketball program made waves a few years ago in the NCAA tournament. And all three schools fit in perfect with the location of the teams in the SoCon.

rokamortis
January 21st, 2006, 07:55 PM
Is the SoCon overlooking Hampton and South Carolina State? Both schools along with Coastal would be the teams I would go after. All three schools are building their football programs into winners. And Hampton's basketball program made waves a few years ago in the NCAA tournament. And all three schools fit in perfect with the location of the teams in the SoCon.

This is a tough question. I agree with you, both would be great additions, but would those schools leave the MEAC?

Mr. Tiger
January 21st, 2006, 08:19 PM
This is a tough question. I agree with you, both would be great additions, but would those schools leave the MEAC?

Of course, we can't ignore the fact that Hampton and South Carolina State are HBCUs and there is only one HBCU outside of the SWAC and MEAC and that's Tennessee State. So it would be a bold move for the SoCon and the two schools. But I do know that both schools are committed to fielding Division I-AA playoff caliber teams and the SoCon is considered a power conference that sends more than one team to the playoffs. Would it be worth a shot on both sides? I am probably not the right one to answer that question. I support both the SWAC and MEAC, but would the schools and SoCon have more to gain by coming together.

MarkCCU
January 21st, 2006, 09:23 PM

No...it isn't official. read again

MarkCCU
January 21st, 2006, 09:27 PM

Hampton and SCSU probably wouldn't leave for SoCon. A move would probably give them greater exposure by being in a more well known conference. I had the pleasure of speaking with Robert Porcher, III-he played for SCSU inthe 80's and the for Detroit- and he expressed his interest and has spoken with SCSU officials about moving out of the MEAC. If it were to be one of those two schools, and I'm speaking with knowledge of a fe people close to the school, SCSU would be more likely to go.

walliver
January 21st, 2006, 11:04 PM
There were rumors several years ago that Hampton was interested in the SoCon, but I don't know how far along that got. Academically, Hampton would probably be a better fit that SCSU.

Apparently Samford showed interest in the SoCon before joining the OVC but there were no spots at the time. I haven't heard much about Samford since then.

I heard briefly about a Tennessee school, possibly Tennessee Tech, but haven't heard anything lately. Apparently there was some interest in bringing back VMI.

As far as CCU, they were apparently on a fast track for membership but then something happened, supposedly "recruiting tactics" and several schools turned against them. I never heard what the "recuiting tactics" were, and the rumor mill has been quite for a while.

Keep in mind, this information is worth exactly what you paid for, and any resemblence to actual fact is purely coincidental.

My general feeling is that the new commissioner needs to sit down with the bosses at GSU and ASU and ask them bluntly "Are you in it for the long haul, or are you moving I-A?" If both are staying, then CCU seems a logical choice. If both are leaving, the SoCon may need to go conference raiding - but, even then it would have to decide whether to replace the "large state universities" or move toward a "southern ivy league".

Probably nothing gets done this year. With schools lining up home-and-home OOC games, next year probably will be quiet also unless I-AA goes to a 12 game season.

HaveFunKc
January 21st, 2006, 11:27 PM
Interesting take Walliver... I've seen on other boards a few other schools mentioned:

Kennesaw State (GA) - currently no football, but due to it's size and location might make a nice addition to the SoCon if it started football.
UNC-Greensboro (NC) - again, currently no football and a member already. Issue here is $ for football.
Richmond - if they can be pried away...
This on top of CCU, Hamption, SCSU and Tenn Tech.

My read is how the new commish envisions the future of the SoCon from existing Presidents and ADs. Given the black cloud that is starting to form with IA football and all the noise IAA and even DII is starting to make over who is and is not moving, I can see a shake up coming within 5 years (who, how? No clue.) GSU has well published intentions of going IA. A large contigency of App fans want to go IA (where and why - TBD). I'm thinking expansion will be coming sooner rather than later and it will not be just one team but as many as three to hedge against future subtractions; which are ultimately inevitable.

BusinessEagle
January 21st, 2006, 11:53 PM
GSU has well published intentions of going IA.

As long as Sam Baker is AD at GSU, going I-A is questionable. It is doubtful he has many friends in the one I-A conference that would take us-- Sun Belt.

nlwwln
January 21st, 2006, 11:55 PM
just a little sarcasm ;)

catamount man
January 22nd, 2006, 07:43 AM
It's RUMORED that ETSU may have some sort of football program back in place in 2008 or 2009, so does the SoCon welcome those guys back? It's obvious the privates and the publics in the SoCon differ on who to select as far as expansion goes. If ASU and GSU do go I-A, and they're replaced with private schools only, you could see a MAJOR shakedown in the SoCon. If all this I-A/I-AA realigning stuff takes place, you could see several new conferences formed. Stay tuned. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Saint3333
January 22nd, 2006, 11:37 AM
You're right the new commish should get with the powers that be at ASU and GSU, but they should see what they can do to appease them. The SoCon has some great schools and still would be a decent conference, but without these two teams they'll be a second tier 1-AA football conference. When Marshall announced they were leaving we were lucky to get a quality program in GSU to fill the void. Picture the SoCon without GSU and ASU and put any three of the following in their place: CCU, Hampton, SC State, Samford, JSU, G-Webb.

Coastal89
January 22nd, 2006, 12:28 PM
You're right the new commish should get with the powers that be at ASU and GSU, but they should see what they can do to appease them. The SoCon has some great schools and still would be a decent conference, but without these two teams they'll be a second tier 1-AA football conference. When Marshall announced they were leaving we were lucky to get a quality program in GSU to fill the void. Picture the SoCon without GSU and ASU and put any three of the following in their place: CCU, Hampton, SC State, Samford, JSU, G-Webb.

It's amazing how The Socon has survived the departure of:
Virginia
Alabama
NC State
N. Carolina
S. Carolina
Clemson
Maryland
Wake Forest
Duke
West Virginia
William & Mary
Richmond
and Marshall

But couldn't last if it lost Appy. St. and GSU. SMFH :rolleyes:

HiHiYikas
January 22nd, 2006, 01:17 PM

I ran in the Myrtle Beach Marathon 2 or 3 years back and Coastal put an excellent team in the marathon relay...had a Sudanese anchor leg that really flew through the last 6 miles. Seeing that and hearing other runners talk about it led me to believe that CCU has a pretty decent track program.

bodoyle
January 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
We are good at golf, MTF/WTF,

and we're phenominal at ice hockey. xlolx xlolx xlolx

I went ice skating with a "local" and it was the funniest damn thing I ever saw. I did a hockey stop and he freaked out when the little shards of ice hit him in the face. :nod:

Go...gate
January 22nd, 2006, 03:00 PM
If CCU jumped to SoCon, where does that leave Liberty? Any chance at the A-10/CAA? Seems like you guys would be a good fit.

asufan87
January 22nd, 2006, 03:52 PM
Virginia
Alabama
NC State
N. Carolina
S. Carolina
Clemson
Maryland
Wake Forest
Duke
West Virginia
William & Mary
Richmond
and Marshall

Sure the Socon has survived. Surviving and thriving are two different things however. If the league were so great, then why is its legacy that of high profile programs continually departing over the years. The league has become less and less significant over the years. Yeah, that's really something to crow about.

TxSt02
January 22nd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Would the SoCon take Hampton without a travel partner for them??? Or is VA not to far for the SC guys???

Thoughts?

Mr. C
January 22nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
Georgia Southern started in the SoCon in 1993 and won a football championship the first year, Marshall moved to I-A in 1997. Both were in the league for four years together. Wofford was the football school that replaced Marshall, not Georgia Southern.

If the SoCon had been that interested in any of those schools, it probably would have already ask one or more to join. The league has never had ANY interest in Gardner-Webb.

Mr. C
January 22nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
If CCU jumped to SoCon, where does that leave Liberty? Any chance at the A-10/CAA? Seems like you guys would be a good fit.
Liberty is just glad to have any league to compete in. It was a long struggle for the Flames before they found a home in the Big South. Jerry Falwell, quite frankly, has been a huge detriment to Liberty finding any interest in another league. There are lot of obstacles in Coastal Carolina's way towards getting in the SoCon. Right now, there is very little support for the Chanticleers among other SoCon teams. CCU would need 75% of the membership to vote it in and the Chanticleers don't have anywhere near that support right now. The new commish would need to do a lot of lobbying to views.

MarkCCU
January 22nd, 2006, 06:58 PM
Liberty is just glad to have any league to compete in. It was a long struggle for the Flames before they found a home in the Big South. Jerry Falwell, quite frankly, has been a huge detriment to Liberty finding any interest in another league. There are lot of obstacles in Coastal Carolina's way towards getting in the SoCon. Right now, there is very little support for the Chanticleers among other SoCon teams. CCU would need 75% of the membership to vote it in and the Chanticleers don't have anywhere near that support right now. The new commish would need to do a lot of lobbying to views.

I think these other schools wouldn't have as much of a problem accepting CCU as you think. You say there are a lot of obstacles, besides support, what do you think hinders CCU from moving outta the Big South to play in SoCon?

Sly Fox
January 22nd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Yeah, it should come as no surprise that college presidents would let their personal animosity toward one individual stand in the way of letting a new school into their league.

:nonono2:

The Catholic hierarchy of the A-10 schools would NEVER let Liberty into their league even to their own detriment. As for the CAA, we'd love to join the conference and outside of a heretofore substandard football performance we meet all the qualifications of a good member prosopect.

With a new staff and some great facilities under construction I believe it won't be long until we're back in the mix in football. But then again, much like certain Mr. Posters on the board I do harbor clear allegiances.

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 07:21 AM

I would love that move. But I think the problem may be taking two football teams. That makes 10, my guess is that the SoCon would prefer 9 teams. I think if there was a better understanding of when or if GSU and ASU are leaving, the Socon hopefully would move quickly for SCSt and Hampton :twocents: .

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 07:24 AM
There were rumors several years ago that Hampton was interested in the SoCon, but I don't know how far along that got. Academically, Hampton would probably be a better fit that SCSU.

Apparently Samford showed interest in the SoCon before joining the OVC but there were no spots at the time. I haven't heard much about Samford since then.

I heard briefly about a Tennessee school, possibly Tennessee Tech, but haven't heard anything lately. Apparently there was some interest in bringing back VMI.

As far as CCU, they were apparently on a fast track for membership but then something happened, supposedly "recruiting tactics" and several schools turned against them. I never heard what the "recuiting tactics" were, and the rumor mill has been quite for a while.

Keep in mind, this information is worth exactly what you paid for, and any resemblence to actual fact is purely coincidental.

My general feeling is that the new commissioner needs to sit down with the bosses at GSU and ASU and ask them bluntly "Are you in it for the long haul, or are you moving I-A?" If both are staying, then CCU seems a logical choice. If both are leaving, the SoCon may need to go conference raiding - but, even then it would have to decide whether to replace the "large state universities" or move toward a "southern ivy league".

Probably nothing gets done this year. With schools lining up home-and-home OOC games, next year probably will be quiet also unless I-AA goes to a 12 game season.

I don't want to be a southern Ivy or PL. (No offense to either). Privates can compete with the publics. Furman and Wofford in Football and this year, Furman , Davidson and Elon in basketball.

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 07:27 AM

The SoCon has been around for 80 years and most of it with GSU and ASU. It might take a few years but don't think it would not thrive without you. But I would hate to see you go.

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 07:28 AM
Virginia
Alabama
NC State
N. Carolina
S. Carolina
Clemson
Maryland
Wake Forest
Duke
West Virginia
William & Mary
Richmond
and Marshall

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I should have read your post before I wrote mine

Saint3333
January 23rd, 2006, 08:30 AM
Looks like the SoCon has slippery slope:

ACC
SEC
Big East
A-10
CUSA
SoCon

Soon to be MEAC/Big South

SoCon without GSU and ASU

Furman
Hampton
SC State
CCU
Wofford
WCU
UTC
Citadel
Elon

The A-10, Gateway, and Big Sky would be scared of this conference.

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 08:44 AM

ACC
SEC
Big East
A-10
CUSA
SoCon

Furman
Hampton
SC State
CCU
Wofford
WCU
UTC
Citadel
Elon

Probably not, I mean god if the Mountaineers leave we might as well disband. I mean wholly cow what would we do without you.

Get real. If GSU left and ASU left there would definitly be some adjustments. But that is what the SoCon has done for 80 years. It has adjusted and changed its makeup and mission. Let's don't be that arrogant.

FU97
January 23rd, 2006, 08:46 AM
Sure the Socon has survived. Surviving and thriving are two different things however. If the league were so great, then why is its legacy that of high profile programs continually departing over the years. The league has become less and less significant over the years. Yeah, that's really something to crow about.

Yeah, cause the SunBelt has such a great reputation!

Saint3333
January 23rd, 2006, 10:12 AM
I'm putting ASU down as well, the SoCon without ASU was stronger than it is now. The SoCon historically doesn't trade up with a school leaves. W&M leaves right after ASU comes in at the time W&M was better, Marshall leaves Wofford comes in, etc.

Not trying to be arrogant just stating facts the SoCon was a better conference in the 30's than the 60's and better in the 60's than in the 90's and if things work out for ASU and GSU the Socon will continue to get weaker on a national stage. Sorry if you want to ignore the past. If the new commish can get a team to leave an established conference (JSU or EKU) instead of raiding the Big South I might have a different opinion on the future of the SoCon, but I don't see that happening.

Coastal89
January 23rd, 2006, 10:47 AM
Not trying to be arrogant
You just can't help it.

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 10:51 AM
I'm putting ASU down as well, the SoCon without ASU was stronger than it is now. The SoCon historically doesn't trade up with a school leaves. W&M leaves right after ASU comes in at the time W&M was better, Marshall leaves Wofford comes in, etc.

Not trying to be arrogant just stating facts the SoCon was a better conference in the 30's than the 60's and better in the 60's than in the 90's and if things work out for ASU and GSU the Socon will continue to get weaker on a national stage. Sorry if you want to ignore the past. If the new commish can get a team to leave an established conference (JSU or EKU) instead of raiding the Big South I might have a different opinion on the future of the SoCon, but I don't see that happening.

First, if CCU comes in it will more than likely be fore you leave so they would be replacing ETSU which from a football perspective is a good swap.

SEcond, the SoCon has historically been the best conference in I-AA with departures and entries, so I am not ignoring the past.

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
I grabbed this from Mocfans.com

I don't know if CCU is mentioned because the article is from Myrtle Beach or if there is real interest. My guess is the interest is real.

from Myrtle Beach Online)

John Iamarino knows exactly what he's getting himself into.

The newly appointed Southern Conference commissioner - who formerly held the same position for the Northeast Conference - will begin his new duties Jan. 30, and even before he makes his move to the Spartanburg office, Iamarino has already been confronted with expansion.

"Any time you're at an odd number, you're asked when you're going to get an even number," Iamarino said by phone Thursday from New Jersey, where he his serving out his final weeks with the NEC.

That even number, Iamarino said, isn't necessarily 12 teams. The 11-team Southern Conference, he said could eventually expand to as many as 14 schools, further increasing the chances that Coastal Carolina could move from the Big South Conference.

Iamarino also said that as of Thursday, he had not had any conversations with Coastal Carolina Athletic Director Warren Koegel or university President Ronald Ingle. When, and if, that happens, Iamarino said he would first talk with Big South Commissioner Kyle Kallander.

"I don't have any preconceived notions; I need to talk to [Southern Conference] athletic directors and get a better feel from them," said Iamarino, who added that he has already begun to look at several school's Web sites to get a feel for potential new members.

While most people agree that a strong football program is No. 1 need on the Southern Conference's possible expansion, Iamarino's baseball background could help Coastal.

Iamarino has been a member of the NCAA baseball rules committee, something that would bode well for a team with the Chanticleers' recent success on the diamond.

Still, Iamarino - who addressed expansion with the Southern Conference while he was interviewing for the job - said the process won't be rushed simply because the league ended it's eight-month span without a commissioner.

"Expansion is high on the list," Iamarino said, "But I don't feel like we need a knee-jerk reaction."

at (843) 626-0315 or at [email protected]. Also ask Ian questions about Coastal Carolina athletics at MyrtleBeachOnline.com.
Adding a team because of baseball?
The writer is nutz.

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Hampton would help follow the trend of downsizing.

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 11:12 AM
In fact it is like ALL other articles. No SoCon official has mentioned wanting Coastal.
Dumb ass writers, yes. Officials, no.

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 11:14 AM

When and if GSU and App leave, a merger with the Big South would ideal.

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 11:16 AM

ACC
SEC
Big East
A-10
CUSA
SoCon

Furman
Hampton
SC State
CCU
Wofford
WCU
UTC
Citadel
Elon

LOL!! :nod:

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 11:19 AM
First, if CCU comes in it will more than likely be fore you leave so they would be replacing ETSU which from a football perspective is a good swap.

SEcond, the SoCon has historically been the best conference in I-AA with departures and entries, so I am not ignoring the past.

In other words, it is still as good as when Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, UNC, NCSU, ECU, Marshall, etc were members.
It will thrive with all smaller schools like the Big South does now.

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 11:24 AM
In other words, it is still as good as when Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, UNC, NCSU, ECU, Marshall, etc were members.

Sorry 2005, but that is a ridiculous statement and a ridiculous position. The I don't think the SoCon of the 30 or 50's is relative to the discussion. And the point was simple, just because ASU leaves does not mean its replacement will be from the Big South.

Now go on , git out of heah :p

MarkCCU
January 23rd, 2006, 11:27 AM
In the past few years, CSU has put up a great effort. Last season the team become Co-champions of the Big South and had thier first ever winning season. It is my belief that we will see CSU become a better team year after year. Thier coach has made considerable progress since he took the position and I see the team picking up momentum...kinda in the wake of CCU.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 23rd, 2006, 11:30 AM
VMI has to be a part of this discussion of "expansion", though it just would be VMI returning to its ancestral homeland. How long can you realisitically have "The Military Classic of the South" be a non-league game? Or not be a game that is played every year?

Of course, if you don't want VMI or The Citadel, please, the Patriot would take them both with open arms. Personally I think both are great fits for the Patriot, even if The Citadel is very far south (and a flight game for most of the PL). Otherwise, they both belong in the Big South - and could save the conference.

Saint3333
January 23rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
Talking about the 80 year history of the SoCon and then only concentrating on the past 23 years (1-AA timeframe), I'd say you were ignoring the past.

Besides take away two of the best 3 teams of any of the five major 1-AA conferences and they'd all be in trouble sans the A-10. Imagine the Gateway without YSU and UNI, the Big Sky without Montana and EWU.

Take a look at it from the other side if Furman and GSU left ASU would be screwed, I know this. I guess because this statement came from an ASU fan everyone is getting worked up, wake up folks. The next few years and the next expansion will decide if the SoCon continues this slide.

gildeer7
January 23rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Having gotten my undergrad at the University of West Georgia, I know that they are looking into moving up from D-II. Given that both they and Valdosta State are over the 10,000 student mark, I imagine both will move within the next few years. West Georgia has begun fundraising for a new stadium recently. Definitely some good rivals for Georgia Southern if they do not move up.

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Talking about the 80 year history of the SoCon and then only concentrating on the past 23 years (1-AA timeframe), I'd say you were ignoring the past.

Besides take away two of the best 3 teams of any of the five major 1-AA conferences and they'd all be in trouble sans the A-10. Imagine the Gateway without YSU and UNI, the Big Sky without Montana and EWU.

Take a look at it from the other side if Furman and GSU left ASU would be screwed, I know this. I guess because this statement came from an ASU fan everyone is getting worked up, wake up folks. The next few years and the next expansion will decide if the SoCon continues this slide.

Busted :nod: :)

As usual the threads get out of whack, let me restate my point.

The 80 years proves the SoCon's adapability. period. Doesn't mean it is better or worse, just changed. When the SEC teams left, football was never the same (but that was 70 years ago) When the ACC left, basketball was never the same. However, at least as far as football is concerned the SoCon will never be what it once was. Those days were from a practical stanpoint gone with the departure of the ACC schools and technically gone with the change to I-AA. So what, it was a recognition of the the facts as they are.

The last 23 years are now the important ones for future discussions and there have been many changes in the participants and the next addition will replace an occasionally successful but for the most part mediocre ETSU.

My guess is that most I-AA conferences (except Ivy and maybe BSC ) were not in existence in the 50's

Now to ASU and/or GSU. There is no doubt that would hurt football. I never meant to say it wouldn't. You can't lose two of the three most consistent performers and remain the same. But that does not mean that new or old schools would not step up the competitiveness.

Cocky
January 23rd, 2006, 12:06 PM
Having gotten my undergrad at the University of West Georgia, I know that they are looking into moving up from D-II. Given that both they and Valdosta State are over the 10,000 student mark, I imagine both will move within the next few years. West Georgia has begun fundraising for a new stadium recently. Definitely some good rivals for Georgia Southern if they do not move up.

I always enjoyed the West Georgia and Valdosta State games back in our Gulf South days. I hope they move up and get in our league. The trip to Carrollton is only about an hour from JSU.

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
Hampton would help follow the trend of downsizing.

In what respect, student body size?

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 12:09 PM

In case you have forgotten, a small school holds more SoCon football championships than your big school. :nod:

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 12:10 PM
Sorry 2005, but that is a ridiculous statement and a ridiculous position. The I don't think the SoCon of the 30 or 50's is relative to the discussion. And the point was simple, just because ASU leaves does not mean its replacement will be from the Big South.

Oh. You mean they didn't leave after all. I'll be looking for them on next year's schedule.

Dude you were the one who talked as if historically it hadn't changed. My point is we've basicaly evolved downward. Sure we have 3 good football teams a year. And Coastal can replace ASU and GSU. ummhmm.
I miss ECU in football and the A-10 has been quite happy with Wilma and Mary.

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 12:11 PM
VMI has to be a part of this discussion of "expansion", though it just would be VMI returning to its ancestral homeland. How long can you realisitically have "The Military Classic of the South" be a non-league game? Or not be a game that is played every year?

Of course, if you don't want VMI or The Citadel, please, the Patriot would take them both with open arms. Personally I think both are great fits for the Patriot, even if The Citadel is very far south (and a flight game for most of the PL). Otherwise, they both belong in the Big South - and could save the conference.

Citadel has been in the SoCon since the 30's. (on the other hand so had VMI). I don't think they have to be in the same conference to play each other every year unless the SoCon forces some kind of ridiculous SWAC 9 game mandate.

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 12:13 PM
In case you have forgotten, a small school holds more SoCon football championships than your big school. :nod:

Umm. By ONE and which other small private school has won a National Championship????
Start your list here:

I think we should seriously consider Catawba, Presbyterian, and Newberry, too.
BTW. Did you notice Hampton's un-defeated team in the first round this year? :asswhip:

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
Oh. You mean they didn't leave after all. I'll be looking for them on next year's schedule.

Dude you were the one who talked as if historically it hadn't changed. My point is we've basicaly evolved downward. Sure we have 3 good football teams a year. And Coastal can replace ASU and GSU. ummhmm.
I miss ECU in football and the A-10 has been quite happy with Wilma and Mary.

Dude admitted being busted above :) :nod:

But I never said it had not changed. My point is that it has changed survived and thrived. Now it is not the SEC and never will be again.

CCU would not be replacing ASU or GSU, CCU or whoever is next would be replacing ETSU. (big difference)

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 12:17 PM
Umm. By ONE and which other small private school has won a National Championship????
Start your list here:

I think we should seriously consider Catawba, Presbyterian, and Newberry, too.
BTW. Did you notice Hampton's un-defeated team in the first round this year? :asswhip:

Once again a thread gets off the mark. The argument really started when a poster hinted that the SoCon would never be the same once GSU and ASU left. Not once CCU entered. While it is true that GSU and ASU leaving would be harmful and something I would hate to see happen, it does not mean that it would be disasterous.

Thank you very much.

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 12:18 PM

And :doh: the Big South comment was a joke. However, tell me please the diff between the Big South and the SoCon minus two of the three perenial powers. Hell, we already have added 2-4 Big South or that level teams (counting the inevitable CCU). CCU, Elon, Gee, and CCU.
What's the diff between merger and gradual acquisition?

Rediculous, huh. Wake up and smell the roses.

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 12:20 PM
Once again a thread gets off the mark. The argument really started when a poster hinted that the SoCon would never be the same once GSU and ASU left. Not once CCU entered. While it is true that GSU and ASU leaving would be harmful and something I would hate to see happen, it does not mean that it would be disasterous.

Thank you very much.
No it wouldn't be disastrous, but Furman would get to finally dominate and Furman-Elon-Woffie games would be humongous. Hampton would get to go to the play-offs and get their :asswhip: ..as usual.

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 12:20 PM
2005, You and I debated FU and ASU all time football records and at one point in time you suggested that Furman's early dominance might be attributable to ASU upgrading their football from DII ( I think ) in its early membership in the SoCon. Right? Well look where you are now.

Why is it that we don't think JSU, Hampton, CCU or another school will do the same thing?

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
2005, You and I debated FU and ASU all time football records and at one point in time you suggested that Furman's early dominance might be attributable to ASU upgrading their football from DII ( I think ) in its early membership in the SoCon. Right? Well look where you are now.

Why is it that we don't think JSU, Hampton, CCU or another school will do the same thing?

Wrong guy.
ASU has never been D-II. Yes it did come from a lower division..NAIA.
Sure, it took ASU 20 years to develop..not just to compete with Furman but any SoCon team. Wait 20 more and Elon, Hampton, Presby, CCU, Chuck South, Catawba will, too.

Look where we are now? Yep. The same place for the last 15 years. (with apologies to Doug Glenn--AppMan).

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 12:29 PM
In the past few years, CSU has put up a great effort. Last season the team become Co-champions of the Big South and had thier first ever winning season. It is my belief that we will see CSU become a better team year after year. Thier coach has made considerable progress since he took the position and I see the team picking up momentum...kinda in the wake of CCU.
As the Socon continues moving southward, CSU will come in right behind CCU. I doubt we'd take Libby, but otherwise we'd pretty much have the Big S in our fold.

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
Wrong guy.
ASU has never been D-II. Yes it did come from a lower division..NAIA.
Sure, it took ASU 20 years to develop..not just to compete with Furman but any SoCon team. Wait 20 more and Elon, Hampton, Presby, CCU, Chuck South, Catawba will, too.

Look where we are now? Yep. The same place for the last 15 years. (with apologies to Doug Glenn--AppMan).

Right guy Wrong division :cool:

I agree. with the last fifteen year statement though :)

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 05:12 PM
Right guy Wrong division :cool:

I agree. with the last fifteen year statement though :)

I would be surprised if the SoCon will be considered jack crap if two of the perenial top 3 leave and are replaced by Big South members or a Hampton.
Can you say "Patriot."

blukeys
January 23rd, 2006, 05:35 PM
Have I missed something? Is there any serious discussion by either GSU or ASU that they are leaving the SoCon? (bump)

MarkCCU
January 23rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
Have I missed something? Is there any serious discussion by either GSU or ASU that they are leaving the SoCon? (bump)

i think it is just a bunch of speculation, though i feel i've missed something as well

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 06:45 PM
Nope. Same thing as the last 20 years.

blukeys
January 23rd, 2006, 07:10 PM
Nope. Same thing as the last 20 years.

Thanks, sounds like the same discussion one can get from UD fans for the last 20 years!!! :) :) :) :) :)

OL FU
January 24th, 2006, 07:57 AM

No, typical SoCon would suck if we were not in it crap from ASU :rolleyes:

appst89
January 24th, 2006, 08:07 AM

And typical distortion of what has been said from a Furmie.

EagleCrusade
January 24th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Yeah I know right, I mean who else is gonna have a mascot that "squeals like a pig?"

SoCon48
January 24th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Virginia
Alabama
NC State
N. Carolina
S. Carolina
Clemson
Maryland
Wake Forest
Duke
West Virginia
William & Mary
Richmond
and Marshall

ROFLMAO. You somehow think the SoCon is anything like the ACC and SEC which those teams now comprise?? ROFLMAO again. xlolx xlolx xlolx

MarkCCU
January 24th, 2006, 11:43 AM
ROFLMAO. You somehow think the SoCon is anything like the ACC and SEC which those teams now comprise?? ROFLMAO again. xlolx xlolx xlolx

I don't think he is comparing. The teams that comprise the ACC and SEC were once in SoCon but moved up and have good teams for the most part(Duke should stick to basketball). I don't think he's comparing the three.

OL FU
January 24th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I don't think he is comparing. The teams that comprise the ACC and SEC were once in SoCon but moved up and have good teams for the most part(Duke should stick to basketball). I don't think he's comparing the three.

Those guys moved out. ASU moved in. Conference now sucks.

Seems like that it what most of the App posters are saying :nod:

SoCon48
January 24th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Those guys moved out. ASU moved in. Conference now sucks.

Seems like that it what most of the App posters are saying :nod:

That's pretty much it comparatively, but not because of ASU moving in, rather because of the ones we've lost.
Anyone who thinks the SoCon resembles anything like the previous list posted has crap for brains.
But hey, we still have Furman.

OL FU
January 24th, 2006, 03:06 PM
But hey, we still have Furman.

Then the SoCon will always be the best conference. :nod:

FURMANFAN
January 25th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Yeah. The SoCon's had a pretty slack record of picking new members going back to the 70's. Heck, they even picked some back then that caused Richmond and William & Mary to bolt the league because the new members lowered the academic tone of the old kudzu league. Looking at the recent graduation rates it appears they were right.

blukeys
January 25th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Yeah. The SoCon's had a pretty slack record of picking new members going back to the 70's. Heck, they even picked some back then that caused Richmond and William & Mary to bolt the league because the new members lowered the academic tone of the old kudzu league. Looking at the recent graduation rates it appears they were right.

And out of curiosity, Just what teams might they be????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can play the straight man if needed.

OL FU
January 26th, 2006, 07:30 AM
And out of curiosity, Just what teams might they be????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can play the straight man if needed.

Don't know but I can assure you it was not Wofford or Elon :)

Saint3333
January 26th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I believe one of those schools is ranked in the top 5 every year for regional public schools in the southeast according to US News, has an average SAT score of 1165, the number one pass rate for the CPA exam in the nation, and has dominated the SoCon in terms of Commish Cups.

Who could that be... :smiley_wi

OL FU
January 26th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I believe one of those schools is ranked in the top 5 every year for regional public schools in the southeast according to US News, has an average SAT score of 1165, the number one pass rate for the CPA exam in the nation, and has dominated the SoCon in terms of Commish Cups.

Who could that be... :smiley_wi

I don't know, The SAT is too low for Wofford, Elon ( althought not by much), and FU.

Ok I stop on that one, I really don't like that type of smack (Then why did I say it) :rolleyes: :confused:

On the other hand it is amazing how the threads get out of whack, huh. The thing that is lost in all the many pages of junk, is that the next football playing member is replacing ETSU. It is not replacing ASU or GSU. An EKU, or one of the Virgina teams would be nice but I don't see it happening. I also don't see two football teams coming in at once, so if SC State and Hampton are a duo ( and I don't think they are) and JSU and Samford are a duo ( and I think they would be) then I think CCU is the best alternative, not based on where they are today but where they appear to be going. It is all about the future and as noted previously ASU did not rock the SoCon when it first entered (it took Furman 40 years and the departure of the big boys), but five or ten years later it was a force. We love to say CCU would not add anything immedeiately to the SoCon but this is about predicting what they would add in the future. and let's face it, ETSU didn't add much either (football) except one more nice drive through the mountains.

SoCon48
January 26th, 2006, 08:08 AM
On the other hand it is amazing how the threads get out of whack,

and let's face, ETSU didn't add much either (football) except one more nice drive through the mountains.

1. Good thing the threads get out of whack, because the same ol crap for 200 posts gets really old.

2. For Furman, maybe that's true about ETSU. But for ASU, they provided 4 of the 15 top crowds in Boone. Something no one else has/will replace.

OL FU
January 26th, 2006, 08:10 AM
1. Good thing the threads get out of whack, because the smae ol ***** for 200 posts gets really old.

2. For Furman, maybe that's true about ETSU. But for ASU, they provided 4 of the 15 top crowds in Boone. Something no one else has/will replace.

1. I wasn't complaining, just getting back to the point of the thread.

2. How many did you draw this year for the ETSU game :confused:

Coastal89
January 26th, 2006, 01:15 PM
September 17, 2005

Coastal Carolina

A crowd of 23,267, the largest for a home opener in Appalachian and Southern Conference history and nearly 7,000 more than Kidd Brewer Stadium’s listed capacity of 16,650

You have no idea what your talking about.

OL FU
January 26th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Would the SoCon take Hampton without a travel partner for them??? Or is VA not to far for the SC guys???

Thoughts?

I don't think anyone answered this one. I doubt it would increase Hampton's travel since they are up and down the east coast from Florida to Delaware. However, I am not positve. It would increase SoCon travel because ASU and Elon are the most northern schools at present and Hampton is on the eastern coast. .

Saint3333
January 26th, 2006, 02:24 PM
September 17, 2005

Coastal Carolina

A crowd of 23,267, the largest for a home opener in Appalachian and Southern Conference history and nearly 7,000 more than Kidd Brewer Stadium’s listed capacity of 16,650

Please don't take credit for the large crowd, it was the home opener under a new AD who actually promoted the football season for once. If CCU had brought over 2K it might be different. CCU brought no where near the numbers ETSU brought. CCU did travel to Boone better than Elon, Wofford, Citadel, and UTC typical do.

OL FU
January 26th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Please don't take credit for the large crowd, it was the home opener under a new AD who actually promoted the football season for once. If CCU had brought over 2K it might be different. CCU brought no where near the numbers ETSU brought. CCU did travel to Boone better than Elon, Wofford, Citadel, and UTC typical do.

Saint3333, not smacking and I realize there has been some :rolleyes: on this thread. But ETSU is gone. Of the possible candidates who should the SoCon go after.

Saint3333
January 26th, 2006, 02:45 PM
ETSU was a great school for ASU to have in the conference and losing them probably hurt ASU more than any other school even UTC.

OLFU someone posted on the MMB that maybe the SoCon could add Samford, UNCW, and Winthrop. UNCW and ASU have similar academic rankings, I'm unsure on the other two schools, but talk about an improved bball conference. I would rather improve the bball side of the conference anyway, no matter who the SoCon adds it will be in the running for one of the best 1-AA conference due to the big 3. This is my favorite scenario, however I am skeptical why UNCW would leave a superior bball conference and imagine it would be hard to get them...

Samford would be a good choice due to bball success and they have an ETSU-type football program, plus a good running mate for UTC.

For football reasons only I'd rather see 1 EKU, 2 JSU, 3 Hampton.

The question is does the new commish want to take the easy road and let CCU in or does he roll up his sleeves and steal away a couple of the programs listed above.

OL FU
January 26th, 2006, 02:53 PM
ETSU was a great school for ASU to have in the conference and losing them probably hurt ASU more than any other school even UTC.

OLFU someone posted on the MMB that maybe the SoCon could add Samford, UNCW, and Winthrop. UNCW and ASU have similar academic rankings, I'm unsure on the other two schools, but talk about an improved bball conference. I would rather improve the bball side of the conference anyway, no matter who the SoCon adds it will be in the running for one of the best 1-AA conference due to the big 3. This is my favorite scenario, however I am skeptical why UNCW would leave a superior bball conference and imagine it would be hard to get them...

Samford would be a good choice due to bball success and they have an ETSU-type football program, plus a good running mate for UTC.

The question is does the new commish want to take the easy road and let CCU in or does he roll up his sleeves and steal away a couple of the programs listed above.

From the basketball perspective I agree. I think you will see one football playing school to make it nine. This will be repetitive, but I don't see Samford leaving the OVC without JSU. I like the Hampton idea but the question is will they really leave the MEAC. For some reason I doubt it.

EKU would be my top choice also(except for VA schools which I don't think we have a chance) I have heard some EKU fan's postive comments on the move. It would be interesting to know the admin's positions on this.

SoCon48
January 26th, 2006, 03:25 PM

It would be nice if Samford could draw a few flies to its home football games before anyone happens to think about them travelling 3 or 400 miles to SoCon games.
By now most of us have accepted the fact that we have to almost entirely depend on our home fans to provide the home gate when playing some of our members even if some of us do furnish our away opponents some decent revenue. Still doesn't solve the problem of lack of home fan appeal vs some visiting opponents.

SoCon48
January 26th, 2006, 03:44 PM
September 17, 2005

Coastal Carolina

Oh really?
You left out the fact that it not only was Home Opener. It was Hall of Fame Day and Family Day.Considering our home openers have quite often been the likes of Liberty, Edinboro, Morehead State, Gardner-Webb, etc. Are we supposed to be surprised?

You brought about half the visiting fans Furman does and nothing like ETSU didnor a good Westen Carolina fanbase.. If you noticed, an overwhelming % of the crowd was wearing black and gold. :nod:

Furman, Chattanooga, ETSU, Citadel, et al have all drawn larger crowds.

We can thank James Madison's last year N Championship and your beating at Coastal first before anyone else got a shot at them, for any App fan interest. We actually thought you guys were some kind of contender. Of course many came to see the Richie Williams show.

Selling over the 16,550 "capacity" is a very frequent occurence in decent years. In fact all reg season games this year were over the capacity.

SoCon48
January 26th, 2006, 03:47 PM
You have no idea what your :rolleyes: (you're) talking about.

Read the facts in the previous post that you left out before you spout that type comment. :rolleyes:

henfan
January 26th, 2006, 03:48 PM
...I am skeptical why UNCW would leave a superior bball conference and imagine it would be hard to get them...

Basketball is a revenue drain at UNCW. I find it hard to believe they'd be foolish enough to allow the competitive strength of a single money-losing sport dictate the direction of their entire athletic department. Then again, we're talking about a D-I school with over 9K undergrads who doesn't sponsor football and barely sponsors enough sports to maintain its D-I eligibility. With football poised to play an even larger role in the CAA's direction, UNCW may find itself increasingly on the outside looking in.

It seems UNCW doesn't have a burning need to leave the CAA right now. However, if CAA expansion doesn't address UNCW travel concerns (i.e.- they don't add a school within a bus ride of Wilmington, NC), the SoCon could become a more attractive option for the Seahawks at some point.