PDA

View Full Version : Momentum for Legacy Bowl appears to have slowed

WestCoastAggie
August 31st, 2010, 09:35 AM
By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer The Times and Democrat | Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:30 am

What looked like a full-speed effort toward holding the Legacy Bowl has apparently slowed down for now.

On Monday, Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Commissioner Dennis Thomas said the conference's executive council is still involved in the vetting process on the viability of the joint venture with the Southwestern Athletic Conference. It now appears a final vote on whether to participate in the ESPN-sponsored postseason football game will not take place in the fall as Thomas previously indicated, but instead will be pushed to as late as March 2011.

The news comes six days after a teleconference with council members and a week after Thomas sent a response letter to South Carolina State University President George Cooper's letter asking questions about the proposed game. Thomas would not comment Monday on any issue addressed in his response letter.

The Times and Democrat obtained a copy of Thomas' letter to Cooper dated Aug. 23 in which the MEAC commissioner answered 10 questions from Cooper's letter sent three days earlier. Thomas referred to Cooper's letter as an "epistle."

In Thomas' response, he confirmed the $600,000 guaranteed payment the MEAC would receive and share among its members for sending the regular-season champion to face the SWAC champion on Dec. 17, 2011, in Atlanta.

Thomas also indicated the representing school at the Legacy Bowl would have to use portions of the guaranteed money to cover all team, band and cheerleader expenses, but that does not prohibit negotiating with other sponsors to offset costs.

http://www.thetandd.com/sports/bulldogzone/article_149dbe32-b4ae-11df-bb13-001cc4c03286.html?mode=story

TexasTerror
August 31st, 2010, 03:37 PM
What about the quality of football player in the MEAC? Will that be advanced?

When asked about the MEAC brand, Thomas indicated to Cooper it could actually be advanced by the Legacy Bowl.

"The strength of the MEAC football brand is strong both within the FCS as well as through its conference rivalry between the MEAC and SWAC," he said. "Having a bowl game televised on ESPN on an annual basis and promoted year-round by ESPN probably would bring more national branding for the participating institutions and conferences."

superman7515
August 31st, 2010, 04:24 PM
In Thomas' response, he confirmed the $600,000 guaranteed payment the MEAC would receive and share among its members for sending the regular-season champion to face the SWAC champion on Dec. 17, 2011, in Atlanta.

Previous reports had the two historically black conferences receiving $1.5 million each to split with its members. With the recent additions of North Carolina-Central and Savannah State, the MEAC has 11 football-playing schools and two non-football schools (Coppin State and Maryland-Eastern Shore)

By comparison, S.C. State received $225,000 plus the revenue from 1,500 tickets available for sale to face 16th-ranked Georgia Tech this Saturday in Atlanta.

So playoffs equals $225,000+ and the bowl game will equal $54,545 (or $46,153 if divided among all 13 teams) less expenses. Interesting decision.

MsippiRattler
August 31st, 2010, 04:29 PM
It looks as though the Legacy Bowl might be dead. I think there are now three MEAC Prezzies against it: FAMU, SC St, and Norfolk St. Maybe even Delaware St.

Jaguar79
August 31st, 2010, 04:35 PM
So playoffs equals $225,000+ and the bowl game will equal $54,545 (or $46,153 if divided among all 13 teams) less expenses. Interesting decision.

How did you get the playoffs equaling 225,000 plus? They could play that game with or without the playoffs.

superman7515
August 31st, 2010, 04:36 PM
I want to see this die, but more because I'd love to see ESPN getting kicked in the testicles by someone, anyone telling them no.

superman7515
August 31st, 2010, 04:39 PM
How did you get the playoffs equaling 225,000 plus? They could play that game with or without the playoffs.

Ah, I stand corrected. I misread the article. Again, I just want to see someone tell ESPN no. After the Lebron Show aired on primetime, I pretty much think that was the straw that broke the camels back for me. They're just too full of themselves.

Jaguar79
August 31st, 2010, 04:40 PM
Ah, I stand corrected. I misread the article. Again, I just want to see someone tell ESPN no. After the Lebron Show aired on primetime, I pretty much think that was the straw that broke the camels back for me. They're just too full of themselves.

Agreed!

TexasTerror
August 31st, 2010, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure this is the last we hear of the game...

The Legacy Bowl is going to come up as long as the SWAC plays football at the Division I level.

henfan
August 31st, 2010, 08:38 PM
I"m all for the SWAC having the Legacy Bowl, so long as it doesn't effect the MEAC champion's participation in the playoffs. Glad to see a few MEAC leaders step up against the nonsense, particularly SCSU.

WestCoastAggie
August 31st, 2010, 09:36 PM
All this article shows is that Dennis Thomas must look for Enough Corporate Sponsorship monies to cover the expense of having the MEAC Champ. Team, Band, Cheerleaders and other personnel to remain on the campus for the week after finals. As it stands, the Share that team would receive wouldn't cover all of the school's expenses and thus would be a money losing proposition for them however the other schools in the conference wouldn't have to worry about this.