PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions-9/2 and 9/4

JALMOND
August 30th, 2010, 09:05 PM
With both EWU and NAU playing on Thursday, I had to rush these predictions out this week. Finally the first week of football is here and we can start on the quest to the conference title. Last year I missed 15 games (one of the worst years I've had since doing these). I'm hoping for better results this year. Those of you who don't know, I use the scoreboard abbreviation for the Big Sky schools except for Sacramento State, which I shorten to Sac State (hence UNC is Northern Colorado). All other schools are written out completely. As usual, all are my opinions only and all are open for discussion. The first weekend...

EWU at Nevada---The first game in the EWU chapter for quarterback Mitchell in a return (so to speak) to the FBS. Jones and Sherritt are two others who will enjoy a step up for the Eagles. Unfortunately, Nevada is no pushover (looking to contend with Boise State this year for the WAC title) and, as a former Big Sky member, chances are good they will not overlook the Eagles. Eagles will score and there may be a good play here and there, but not enough...Nevada 41, EWU 20.

Montana-Western at ISU---The Bengals come into the season riding high after winning their final game last year. It could be argued that, if they were playing someone other than the Grizzlies in the second to the last game, they may be on a two game winning streak entering this year. The Bulldogs have Montana in their name, can the Bengals get an opening win?...ISU 35, Montana-Western 10.

Western State at UM---For the second straight year, the Grizzlies start off at home against DII Western State from Gunnison, Colorado. Remains to be seen if this is an actual game or a glorified scrimmage. Last year it seemed to be a glorified scrimmage, but it got the Grizzlies going to the title game. Same score as last year...UM 38, Western State 0.

Fort Lewis at MSU---Just like their in state brethren, the Bobcats also start off the year hosting a DII school from Colorado, Fort Lewis. Just like the Grizzlies, this should be just a slight bump in the road towards bigger things to come. Maybe just like the Grizzlies, it should jump start the Bobcats season. Just don't bring up Chadron State from a few years back...MSU 41, Fort Lewis 7.

Western New Mexico at NAU---How about a home game against a DII team for the Jacks to get their season off on the right start for a change? The last couple years found the Jacks playing the other Arizona teams from the Pac-10 (that is put off until week 2). This game gives Herrick a chance to find someone to throw the ball to (or 2, or 3, or 4 or...). No problem for the Jacks...NAU 35, Western New Mexico 3.

Adams State at UNC---The Bears head into this season with great expectations, at least on the home front. The last few years found them playing the likes of Kansas, Purdue, Hawaii and UC-Davis. This game should prove to be a little less difficult. Start the year off with a win...UNC 31, Adams State 10.

PSU at Arizona State---A leftover game from Glanville's big ambitions, but new coach Burton is not about to let the Vikings back down from a challenge. This is the first of two games the Vikings will play in the Pac-10 (the other one in week 3 will be more daunting as they head down to Oregon). This game no doubt will test the limits of the Vikings, if not more than playing in the desert itself. Competitive? Maybe for the first few minutes...Arizona State 41, PSU 14.

Sac State at Stanford---Similar to Portland State, the Hornets move into the Pac-10 for this game at Stanford. Strong expectations on the Hornets this year, more than in years past, have many of the Hornet faithful looking forward to this game. A good showing, then, is expected. A win? Maybe not...Stanford 38, Sac State 17.

WSU at Boston College---When most teams in the Big Sky look to play a game against an FBS opponent, they usually try to stay in their back yard. Many to choose from, as there is the typical Pac-10 and also the Mountain West and the WAC are looking to be much improved this year. Weber State heads clear across the country to play ACC's Boston College. Higgins will bring along Bolen and company. A gallant effort but on the short end...Boston College 35, WSU 10.

TokyoGriz
August 31st, 2010, 02:22 AM
What an exciting weekend.................. not.

wapiti
August 31st, 2010, 09:05 AM
Picking the winners was an easy one. You should be perfect on that.

I do expect the Griz to score more than 38 and for ISU to score more than 35.

If the Griz score less than 42 then their whole season will be a failure. xwhistlex

jayhawkdaddy
August 31st, 2010, 05:05 PM
Picks are easy this week!
Nevada over EWU
ISU over UM-Western
UM over WSC
MSU over FLC
NAU over WNMU
UNC over ASC
Arizona State over PSU
Stanford over SSU
Boston College over WSU

RabidRabbit
August 31st, 2010, 07:36 PM
Picks are easy this week!
Nevada over EWU
ISU over UM-Western
UM over WSC
MSU over FLC
NAU over WNMU
UNC over ASC
Arizona State over PSU
Stanford over SSU
Boston College over WSU

Looks good to me.

JALMOND
August 31st, 2010, 10:57 PM
Picking the winners was an easy one. You should be perfect on that.

I do expect the Griz to score more than 38 and for ISU to score more than 35.

If the Griz score less than 42 then their whole season will be a failure. xwhistlex

Hard to pick scores when the games are like this. Have to determine who will let up, who will treat it like exhibition, and who will play it like a real game. Most games are not as close as the score may indicate (if one could call losing by 30 close).

wapiti
September 1st, 2010, 09:56 AM
Hard to pick scores when the games are like this. Have to determine who will let up, who will treat it like exhibition, and who will play it like a real game. Most games are not as close as the score may indicate (if one could call losing by 30 close).

Then I had better put some score to the predictions too:

Eastern Washington Eagles 17 @ Nevada Wolfpack 32

Western New Mexico Mustangs 6 @ Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 38

September 4th

Western State Mountaineers 6 @ Montana Grizzlies 48

Weber State Wildcats 10 @ Boston College Eagles 32

Fort Lewis Skyhawks 10 @ Montana State Bobcats 35

Adams State Grizzlies 17 @ Northern Colorado Bears 28

Montana Western Bulldogs 3 @ Idaho State Bengals 45

Sacramento State Hornets 9 @ Stanford Cardinal 38

Portland State Vikings 6 @ Arizona State Sun Devils 35

wapiti
September 3rd, 2010, 09:57 AM
So far we got the first two games right. (Not that there was likely to be an upset.)

Then I had better put some score to the predictions too:

Eastern Washington Eagles 17 (24) @ Nevada Wolfpack 32 (49)

Western New Mexico Mustangs 6 (0) @ Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 38 (48)

September 4th

Western State Mountaineers 6 @ Montana Grizzlies 48

Weber State Wildcats 10 @ Boston College Eagles 32

Fort Lewis Skyhawks 10 @ Montana State Bobcats 35

Adams State Grizzlies 17 @ Northern Colorado Bears 28

Montana Western Bulldogs 3 @ Idaho State Bengals 45

Sacramento State Hornets 9 @ Stanford Cardinal 38

Portland State Vikings 6 @ Arizona State Sun Devils 35

I Bleed Purple
September 4th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Where's Screamin' Eagle with his plus/minus, weird math prediction crap?

Jalmond doing fairly well.

38-20. Predicted score was 35-10.

That late TD really hurt him.

GrizBowl
September 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Way off on the UM & MSU games...xsmileyclapx

JALMOND
September 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Way off on the UM & MSU games...xsmileyclapx

And Northern Colorado. I'd say after this, the lower tier Colorado schools probably won't play the Big Sky for quite awhile.

GrizBowl
September 4th, 2010, 08:23 PM
And Northern Colorado. I'd say after this, the lower tier Colorado schools probably won't play the Big Sky for quite awhile.

No Joke...xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 4th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Where's Screamin' Eagle with his plus/minus, weird math prediction crap?

Jalmond doing fairly well.

38-20. Predicted score was 35-10.

That late TD really hurt him.

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=350316#p350316

JALMOND
September 5th, 2010, 01:18 AM
With both EWU and NAU playing on Thursday, I had to rush these predictions out this week. Finally the first week of football is here and we can start on the quest to the conference title. Last year I missed 15 games (one of the worst years I've had since doing these). I'm hoping for better results this year. Those of you who don't know, I use the scoreboard abbreviation for the Big Sky schools except for Sacramento State, which I shorten to Sac State (hence UNC is Northern Colorado). All other schools are written out completely. As usual, all are my opinions only and all are open for discussion. The first weekend...

EWU at Nevada---The first game in the EWU chapter for quarterback Mitchell in a return (so to speak) to the FBS. Jones and Sherritt are two others who will enjoy a step up for the Eagles. Unfortunately, Nevada is no pushover (looking to contend with Boise State this year for the WAC title) and, as a former Big Sky member, chances are good they will not overlook the Eagles. Eagles will score and there may be a good play here and there, but not enough...Nevada 41, EWU 20.

Montana-Western at ISU---The Bengals come into the season riding high after winning their final game last year. It could be argued that, if they were playing someone other than the Grizzlies in the second to the last game, they may be on a two game winning streak entering this year. The Bulldogs have Montana in their name, can the Bengals get an opening win?...ISU 35, Montana-Western 10.

Western State at UM---For the second straight year, the Grizzlies start off at home against DII Western State from Gunnison, Colorado. Remains to be seen if this is an actual game or a glorified scrimmage. Last year it seemed to be a glorified scrimmage, but it got the Grizzlies going to the title game. Same score as last year...UM 38, Western State 0.

Fort Lewis at MSU---Just like their in state brethren, the Bobcats also start off the year hosting a DII school from Colorado, Fort Lewis. Just like the Grizzlies, this should be just a slight bump in the road towards bigger things to come. Maybe just like the Grizzlies, it should jump start the Bobcats season. Just don't bring up Chadron State from a few years back...MSU 41, Fort Lewis 7.

Western New Mexico at NAU---How about a home game against a DII team for the Jacks to get their season off on the right start for a change? The last couple years found the Jacks playing the other Arizona teams from the Pac-10 (that is put off until week 2). This game gives Herrick a chance to find someone to throw the ball to (or 2, or 3, or 4 or...). No problem for the Jacks...NAU 35, Western New Mexico 3.

Adams State at UNC---The Bears head into this season with great expectations, at least on the home front. The last few years found them playing the likes of Kansas, Purdue, Hawaii and UC-Davis. This game should prove to be a little less difficult. Start the year off with a win...UNC 31, Adams State 10.

PSU at Arizona State---A leftover game from Glanville's big ambitions, but new coach Burton is not about to let the Vikings back down from a challenge. This is the first of two games the Vikings will play in the Pac-10 (the other one in week 3 will be more daunting as they head down to Oregon). This game no doubt will test the limits of the Vikings, if not more than playing in the desert itself. Competitive? Maybe for the first few minutes...Arizona State 41, PSU 14.

Sac State at Stanford---Similar to Portland State, the Hornets move into the Pac-10 for this game at Stanford. Strong expectations on the Hornets this year, more than in years past, have many of the Hornet faithful looking forward to this game. A good showing, then, is expected. A win? Maybe not...Stanford 38, Sac State 17.

WSU at Boston College---When most teams in the Big Sky look to play a game against an FBS opponent, they usually try to stay in their back yard. Many to choose from, as there is the typical Pac-10 and also the Mountain West and the WAC are looking to be much improved this year. Weber State heads clear across the country to play ACC's Boston College. Higgins will bring along Bolen and company. A gallant effort but on the short end...Boston College 35, WSU 10.

Perfect 9-0 to start. A little off on the scores but I'll take it. Regards to the scores, how about a combined Big Sky 186, DII Colorado schools 12. That's just sick (in a good way).