PDA

View Full Version : DivI-AA QB (Nealy)may start in Hula Bowl

TXST_CAT
January 20th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Nealy's blog gives insight to traning camps and possibly starting in the game.

Barrick's Bowl Blog

Former Texas State QB Barrick Nealy and teammate Fred Evans (DL) have been selected to play in the 60th Annual Hula Bowl, highlighting the nation’s top college football seniors. Be sure to follow the action daily as Barrick will be giving insight into his entire Hula Bowl experience right here on www.txstatebobcats.com. Barrick’s daily update will begin on Sunday! If you miss a day, the entire diary will be archived right here on the site.

The Hula Bowl will air at 6 p.m. CST on Saturday, January 21st, live on ESPN.

BARRICK'S BOWL BLOG
Friday Night, January 20th

Well, only a little time left in paradise! Thursday was our last day of practice in preparation for the game on Saturday. It was a lot of the same things we had been doing all week - basic repetitions in practice and just trying to figure out what formations and plays might work best.

Coach Willingham has been great to be around this week. He makes the game fun on and off the field and really wants to win and do it the right way. We have had more team and position meetings than the East, but I think it has brought us closer together. We are all having fun and working well together.

After our last practice yesterday, most of the NFL scouts actually departed. There are a few scouts still here - but a lot have left. Another great thing after practice yesterday was getting to meet with former Heisman Trophy winners, as there were eight here on the island, including Jack Tatum, Billy Sims, Rashaan Salaam, and Andre Ware, who I have known for a while. Andre and I are going to have dinner and hang out tonight. All of those guys look like they can still play, and they had great advice for us.

As far as the game goes, Brad and I are going to flip a coin tomorrow to see who starts, but we split reps during the game. We will be pretty balanced on offense since we have good talent at all positions, and be sure to look for a little trickery thrown in to the mix.

Defensively, watch for Fred to have a great game. He and Larry Dibbles from Texas have really had a great week and will be bringing the heat on defense tomorrow. Fred's dad got here today, so if he is not out with him, then he is definitely riding a moped!

I saw Mrs. Bailiff earlier this afternoon. We took some pictures together, and I will see her later at our hotel. As I am sending this, I am waiting on my mom and brother to land. It will be great to get them here for the game.

We haven't been given our game day schedule yet, but I am sure we will have pre-game around mid-morning, as we kickoff in the afternoon Hawaii time.

Sorry I will miss the honoring of our 2005 SLC Champions at halftime of the basketball game on Saturday night, but I know my teammates will represent Bobcat football well. It has definitely been a memorable week here - be sure to tune in to the game on ESPN at 6 p.m. CST. I will update late tomorrow night or early Sunday after we win the 2006 Hula Bowl!

Go 'Cats!

Barrick Nealy
Bobcat Football 2003-2005

Check website for more!
http://txstatebobcats.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/barrick-blog-index.html

Mr. C
January 21st, 2006, 12:37 AM
Good luck to Barrick Nealy. Hope he and Fred Evans have great games. Appalachian State's Jerry Moore will be on the sideline as one of the assistant coaches, an honor he received as part of winning the AFCA I-AA national coach of the year award.

TexasTerror
January 21st, 2006, 06:59 AM
I'm assuming Coach Bailiff is in San Marcos (or Texas) working the recruiting and he sent his wife to represent the team in Hawaii?

ISUMatt
January 21st, 2006, 07:50 AM
Illinois State has 2 players in the HUla Bowl this year, DE Brent Hawkins and P Ryan Hoffman!!

TXST_CAT
January 21st, 2006, 12:05 PM
Bailiff is busy this weekend with recruit visits and other recruiting matters.

TXST is represented by Nealy and Evens DT. It is good to hear there are more DivI-AA players on the team. It gives them a chance to show the scouts we have tallent here in our Div as well.

TexasTerror
January 21st, 2006, 12:07 PM
TXST is represented by Nealy and Evens DT. It is good to hear there are more DivI-AA players on the team. It gives them a chance to show the scouts we have tallent here in our Div as well.

Evans really needs to make a statement and perhaps he can get invited to the NFL Combine. It's a shame that he didn't get an invite..

TXST_CAT
January 21st, 2006, 12:09 PM
Illinois State has 2 players in the HUla Bowl this year, DE Brent Hawkins and P Ryan Hoffman!!

I'll keep an eye out for them! :beerchug:

TXST_CAT
January 21st, 2006, 05:43 PM
Evans really needs to make a statement and perhaps he can get invited to the NFL Combine. It's a shame that he didn't get an invite..

From Nealy's report Evans is giving the O-Line headaches. I wish he would have had an invite as well but we will see if things change after tonights game.

ISUMatt
January 21st, 2006, 07:24 PM
Brent Hawkins is chasing Brad Smith all over the field so far....Hawk has been very impressive :hyped: !!

bobcatfan06
January 21st, 2006, 08:15 PM
Nealy has sucked so far. Not his usual self. Fred Evans is doing some good things, made a few good tackles and has completely bumrushed the East O-Line a couple times.

TexasTerror
January 21st, 2006, 08:26 PM
Nealy has sucked so far. Not his usual self. Fred Evans is doing some good things, made a few good tackles and has completely bumrushed the East O-Line a couple times.

I tell ya, Nealy is ON when he is ON, but when he sucks, he blows real hard. He's got many peaks, but sure does have his valleys which is why Bailiff showed us all that knee...

bobcatfan06
January 21st, 2006, 08:29 PM
For once in my life, I agree with you. I know that is why Bailiff showed us the knee, I knew it when he did it. Barrick can be on one minute, and lights off the next. Tonight, he is off. It's sad though, cause he is a great guy and I guarantee you he is mad as hell at himself for playing like crap. He wants to play on Sundays worse than anything. You can tell just from talking to him.

JohnStOnge
January 21st, 2006, 08:43 PM
Good plug for I-AA from Davie just now after they panned to App State's coach.

blukeys
January 21st, 2006, 08:44 PM
Smith has not been lighting them up either.

bobcatfan06
January 21st, 2006, 08:59 PM
The West's O-Line isn't doing crap. They are definately more of a run-blocking line than a pass-blocking line. Nealy, nor Smith, has had much time to throw in the pocket. Kinda sad really, these are the best O-Linemen they could find??

TexasTerror
January 21st, 2006, 09:03 PM
The West's O-Line isn't doing crap. They are definately more of a run-blocking line than a pass-blocking line. Nealy, nor Smith, has had much time to throw in the pocket. Kinda sad really, these are the best O-Linemen they could find??

There are so many All-Star games and I believe there are limits to how many games you can play...

ISUMatt
January 21st, 2006, 09:37 PM
Hawkins was ALL OVER the field, in the 4th, he blew past the OL, sacked Smith and forced a fumble. Great showing for the Hawk!!!

Chi Panther
January 21st, 2006, 09:44 PM
I have a feeling what scouts and coaches see in the practices all week instead of the game, makes a bigger impact on a players potential than what actually occurs in these All-Star games.......how can there be any real team chemistry with ONE week of practice?????

FlyYtown
January 21st, 2006, 09:51 PM
I talked to YSU's head coach at the YSU Basketball game at half and he said YSU's WR Kyle Smith played but missed a ball he should've caught. I do not know how many times he was in....

Congrats to all the athletes.

ISUMatt
January 21st, 2006, 09:53 PM
I talked to YSU's head coach at the YSU Basketball game at half and he said YSU's WR Kyle Smith played but missed a ball he should've caught. I do not know how many times he was in....

Congrats to all the athletes.

Yes I remember that play he was at the 10, went down for a ball and dropped...really didnt see him too much all night, they were throwing to some kid from Northwestern and the big galut from Central Florida

kardplayer
January 21st, 2006, 10:02 PM
Hawkins was ALL OVER the field, in the 4th, he blew past the OL, sacked Smith and forced a fumble. Great showing for the Hawk!!!

He must have had a huge game - he was named the East's MVP...

ISUMatt
January 21st, 2006, 10:10 PM
Illinois State defensive end Brent Hawkins was the MVP for the East while Missouri quarterback Brad Smith was the MVP for the West.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AsKm4BR53hLifrB7UZhgSa4cvrYF?slug=ap-hulabowl&prov=ap&type=lgns

Well how about that!!!!!!!!!

TXST_CAT
January 21st, 2006, 10:14 PM
Well like most All-Star games the Defenses have a huge advantage. Nealy did not have his best games but I'm sure the scouts saw what they needed. As mentioned earlier what can anyone expect when a QB only has three half days to get to know their WR's. Fun game overall but most All-Star games aren't pretty to watch. Congrats to Hawkins MVP. Evans had a great game as well. I hope they all have a shot at playing on SUN.

FlyYtown
January 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM
Go Brad Smith! Youngstown Product. He is one of those qb's who is better running than passing but when he is on he is one of the best qb's in the game.

GoGuins
January 22nd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Kyle Smith probably dropped that pass because those long, baggy sleeves got in the way :) He must of thought he was still in Ytown playing

ISUMatt
January 22nd, 2006, 10:34 AM
http://goredbirds.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012106aaa.html

Illinois State and Ohio State are the only schools to have multiple MVPs at the Hula Bowl

HONOLULU, Hawai'i - Illinois State's Brent Hawkins and Ryan Hoffman not only carried the flag for Illinois State, but for all of I-AA football, as the tandem claimed player of the game honors at the 2006 Hula Bowl Saturday night at Aloha Stadium. Hawkins earned the Hula Bowl Defensive MVP award, while Hoffman was named the game's Special Teams MVP.

nlwwln
January 23rd, 2006, 04:29 AM
nealy will still get a shot but i dont know if hes got what it takes to be a decent qb in the nfl, his arm is just not there and his athletic ability well the defensive tackles are probably just as good an athlete as him not to mention the LBs and DBs. could see him in arena or cfl