PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings-preseason

JALMOND
August 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM
A lot of changes occurred for the Big Sky schools since Montana played in the National Championship that made the offseason really interesting. Montana and Portland State hired new head coaches, EWU and UNC both had to replace starting quarterbacks, NAU and WSU brought quarterbacks back but had to replace other offensive weapons, MSU and Sacramento State both had to incorporate returning talent into new teams, and ISU actually had something to build on after losing to Montana on a last second field goal and then beating Portland State in the last game of the year. Consequently, many questions surrounding all the Big Sky teams heading into this year. Here are the preseason Big Sky power rankings. All are solely my opinion and are not affiliated with any publication or website, although I would like to thank the new owners and supporters of Any Given Saturday for giving me a spot to post it. As usual, all are open for discussion.

1. Montana Grizzlies---After the loss in the National Championship game, head coach Bobby Hauck left the Grizzlies for UNLV, and the team welcomed a new coach from within, Robin Pflugrad. The Grizzlies also lost a ton, but still have enough personnel to still be considered the favorite in the conference. With all the changes going on, one thing still remains, the opener is still at home and still against DII Western State this weekend.

2. Montana State Bobcats---Last year, the Bobcats started the year seriously fighting the injury bug. Consequently, a bunch of underclassmen suited up for the Bobcats early on, and still the program had success, to the point that they were still fighting for a playoff spot by the Griz game the final game of the year. If they can mesh with the returnees, the Bobcats could be dangerous. Similar to the Griz, they start the year at home against DII Fort Lewis.

3. Eastern Washington Eagles---True that the Eagles return workhorse running back Jones, but they lost all-world quarterback in Nichols. So they just went out and brought in a much heralded quarterback from SMU to try to keep up in the upper part of the conference race. If Mitchell is anywhere near the hype (like Jones was last year), the Eagles will stay in the hunt. The season begins Thursday against FBS Nevada on the road. Jones should enjoy it, Mitchell should as well.

4. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks---The good news for the Lumberjacks is that quarterback Herrick returns and is poised for a great year. The bad news is the leading rusher and a bunch of receivers are not returning. Herrick and company will have to gel in a hurry and the Lumberjacks as a team will have to avoid a late season swoon that has plagued them for the last couple years. It all begins Thursday against DII Western New Mexico.

5. Weber State Wildcats---The Wildcats have Higgins coming back, but the cupboard was looking pretty bare after that until Bolen announced that he was putting off his mission until December and would play this year. Unfortunately, Nakamora was not granted an extra year from the NCAA. The Wildcats could have used both, but no doubt will get a lot from Bolen (they will need it). They begin the year on the other side of the country against ACC Boston College.

6. Sacramento State Hornets---Last season began bad enough for the Hornets when all purpose running back Hillard was deemed out for the year. Still the Hornets gathered enough courage to be competitive in every game and salvage a .500 season in conference play. If the Hornets can bring Hillard back close to where he was in 2008, this could be a great year. They begin the season going up to the Pac-10 level with a game at Stanford.

7. Northern Colorado Bears---Is this the year the Bears can make headway in the Big Sky conference? They have the personnel as 15 starters return from last year. They are also becoming competitive in the conference, having thrown some serious scares into the heavies in the first four years. Still, only one conference win is really nothing to be excited about. This year, the season starts with a visit from DII Adams State. They should start off with a win and on the right foot.

8. Portland State Vikings---Jerry Glanville is gone, but the damage is still apparent. Mouse Davis' run and shoot is out, replaced by Nevada's pistol offense, and Glanville's 3-4 has been replaced by a more traditional 4-3. New coach Burton may have the program heading in the right direction, but he won't get there this year. This year, two games against the Pac-10, including the first game this weekend at Arizona State.

9. Idaho State Bengals---In years past, it was typical to place the Bengals last and fill in the rest of the conference. However, looking at how they finished last year (lose on a last second field goal against Montana then win against Portland State), one could argue that the Bengals were playing as well as any Big Sky team out there. Can they build on that small margin of success this year? The first game should be no problem, a home game against NAIA Montana-Western. A two game winning streak?

Let's play some football!!!

I Bleed Purple
August 29th, 2010, 08:47 PM
ISU won a game last year?

I would be willing to bet that Weber will not be the median of the conference this year.

Although preseason rankings in college football is completely based on speculation and reputation. Still wouldn't be a college football week without Jal's rankings and predictions, so kudos to you.

JALMOND
August 29th, 2010, 11:18 PM
ISU won a game last year?

I would be willing to bet that Weber will not be the median of the conference this year.

Although preseason rankings in college football is completely based on speculation and reputation. Still wouldn't be a college football week without Jal's rankings and predictions, so kudos to you.

Thank you for the kind words, IBP. And for the record, we were the Bengals' unfortunate victim last year. The only good thing is that it hastened the departure of Glanville and company.

wapiti
August 30th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Rankings look ok to me.

Being preseason any team good be argued up or down two to three spots.

Do you have any predictions for opening weekend?

I Bleed Purple
August 30th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Rankings look ok to me.

Being preseason any team good be argued up or down two to three spots.

Do you have any predictions for opening weekend?

I believe he does those on Wednesday.

jacksAGAINSTtheWORLD
September 3rd, 2010, 11:37 AM
be ready for the jacks to have a breakout year. Yea, i may be biased but....the jacks have the most talent across the board that they have had in quite some time..just sayin :)

GrizBowl
September 3rd, 2010, 08:26 PM
I think Montana State is the real sleeper in the conference and has the best opportunity to upset the Griz and take the auto bid

TokyoGriz
September 4th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I think Montana State is the real sleeper in the conference and has the best opportunity to upset the Griz and take the auto bid

Your high on crack if you think MSU is going to hand the griz a Loss in Missoula.

More than likely MSU will be all big talk at the begining of the year and then start the LOSING slide they are so famous for by mid season. Expect more of the usual out of Bozeman this year.

Grrrrriz
September 4th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Your high on crack if you think MSU is going to hand the griz a Loss in Missoula.

More than likely MSU will be all big talk at the begining of the year and then start the LOSING slide they are so famous for by mid season. Expect more of the usual out of Bozeman this year.

If you really feel like MSU has no chance, then crack must be what you had for breakfast. Remember last year when we overlooked ISU?

biobengal
September 4th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Thank you for the kind words, IBP. And for the record, we were the Bengals' unfortunate victim last year. The only good thing is that it hastened the departure of Glanville and company.

Yes, PSU did get beat by ISU. ISU ended the year on a high note.
Thus, I'm curious why ISU would then be placed lower than PSU.
Obviously, this is a minor issue.... both teams will struggle in the BSC in 2010.

TokyoGriz
September 4th, 2010, 12:58 PM
If you really feel like MSU has no chance, then crack must be what you had for breakfast. Remember last year when we overlooked ISU?

MSU isnt going to get overlooked in Missoula this year. They are going to get pounded hard. By the time the Griz game rolls around they will have already lost a couple games and realized how they will once again not meet expectations, which is the same problem MSU suffers every year.