PDA

View Full Version : SoCon - Week One Predictions

The Cats
August 27th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Since everyone has a week one prediction thread, I thought I'd put up one for the SoCon. Have at it. My picks in bold.

SEPTEMBER 4TH

Chowan at The Citadel
Savannah State at Georgia Southern
Samford at Florida State
Appalachian State at Chattanooga
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio
Western Carolina at NC State

UCMoc
August 27th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

APPFAN21
August 27th, 2010, 02:15 PM
The Citadel
Georgia Southern
Florida State
Appalachian State
Duke
Ohio
NC State

asknoquarter21
August 27th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

SpeedkingATL
August 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

Ditto

PhoenixPhan06
August 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

biggie
August 27th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

Smitty
August 27th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Some great games.

Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

SO ILLmatic
August 27th, 2010, 04:45 PM
The Citadel
GA South
FL State
App State
Duke
Ohio
NC State

Saint3333
August 27th, 2010, 08:41 PM
SEPTEMBER 4TH

Citadel 34 Chowan 10 - tune up for the dogs, but may be there last win of the season
Georgia Southern 45 Savannah State 7 - tune up for GSU, Savannah State may be the worst scholarship granting FCS team
Florida State 31 Samford 7 - Samford may hang strong for a quarter or so, but depth wins out after that
Appalachian State at Chattanooga NP - Hopeful the new QB can run the show, but the story of this game will be defense on both sides
Duke 31 Elon 17 - this isn't Elon from 2007, but unfortunately for the Fee Nix this isn't Duke from 2007 either.
Ohio 33 Wofford 21 - Ohio was surprisingly 9-5 last year, the triple option scores but Wofford's defense doesn't slow down Ohio enough for the win
NC State 38 Western Carolina 13 - NCSU isn't a good ACC team, but WCU doesn't have the depth to hang with them, plus their QB picks that secondary apart.

ElonPride
August 28th, 2010, 12:43 PM
GSU/SV ST: GSU 35-3
El Cid/Chowan: El Cid 28-7
FSU/Samford: FSU 42-7
Appy/Chatt: Chatt 21-13
NC State/WCU: NC State 35-13
Duke/Elon: Duke 28-21
Ohio/Wofford: Ohio 45-14

PhoenixSupreme
August 28th, 2010, 01:04 PM
GSU-Savannah St. GSU 38-10
El Cid-Chowan Citadel 31-7
FSU-Samford FSU 45-0
App--Chatt App 27-24
NCSU-WCU NCSU 31-10
Duke-Elon ELON 35-31
Ohio-Woffy Ohio 38-17

SideLine Shooter
August 28th, 2010, 03:17 PM
GSU-Savannah St., GSU 17-10
El Cid-Chowan, Citadel 27-17
FSU-Samford, FSU 51-0
App-UTC, App 34-17
NCSU-WCU, NCSU 42-6
Duke-Elon, Duke 35-10
Wofford-Ohio, Ohio 21-13

AppStsGr8
August 28th, 2010, 07:39 PM
SEPTEMBER 4TH

Citadel 34 Chowan 10 - tune up for the dogs, but may be there last win of the season
Georgia Southern 45 Savannah State 7 - tune up for GSU, Savannah State may be the worst scholarship granting FCS team
Florida State 31 Samford 7 - Samford may hang strong for a quarter or so, but depth wins out after that
Appalachian State at Chattanooga NP - Hopeful the new QB can run the show, but the story of this game will be defense on both sides
Duke 31 Elon 17 - this isn't Elon from 2007, but unfortunately for the Fee Nix this isn't Duke from 2007 either.
Ohio 33 Wofford 21 - Ohio was surprisingly 9-5 last year, the triple option scores but Wofford's defense doesn't slow down Ohio enough for the win
NC State 38 Western Carolina 13 - NCSU isn't a good ACC team, but WCU doesn't have the depth to hang with them, plus their QB picks that secondary apart.

Agreed on all counts. I'm hoping DeAndre Pressley will lead the offense well at Chattanooga. I believe App's defense could do very well against any team with the number of starters returning. The coaching changes for App this year may make first game play calling a little rough as well. I'm looking forward to seeing a great game in Chattanooga on the 4th.

catamount man
August 29th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Citadel over Chowan
Ohio over Wofford
Georgia Southern over Savannah State
Chattanooga over App
Duke over Elon
NC State over WCU
Florida State over Samford
Furman over idle

HensRock
August 29th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Some great games.

Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

DItto that. Put me down for a Home Team sweep.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2010, 01:57 PM
SEPTEMBER 4TH

Does anyone else think Samford will hang around longer than most expect? Samford has suprised a lot of teams the past few years (including all of the SoCon), plays good defense, runs the ball well, and FSU has a history of taking SoCon schools lightly.

The App/UTC game is the one to watch. The game, to me, is reminiscent of when Furman traveled to Jacksonville State in 2005. Furman was the better team (and won the game), but JSU poured their entire summer into beating the Paladins, got them at home, and had a chip on their shoulder. They gave Furman all they wanted. I think UTC is going to give App one heckuva a fight. The difference may come down to the quarterback. For the first time in a long while, I think UTC has the edge at that position.

GeauxLions94
August 29th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Appalachian State at Chattanooga - yes, I'm calling upset! Especially early this early in the season
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

Skjellyfetti
August 29th, 2010, 05:02 PM
The App/UTC game is the one to watch. The game, to me, is reminiscent of when Furman traveled to Jacksonville State in 2005. Furman was the better team (and won the game), but JSU poured their entire summer into beating the Paladins, got them at home, and had a chip on their shoulder. They gave Furman all they wanted. I think UTC is going to give App one heckuva a fight. The difference may come down to the quarterback. For the first time in a long while, I think UTC has the edge at that position.

I fully expect it to be a hard fought game. The QB's will be important... but, what will be most interesting will be UTC's running game vs. Appalachian's run D. Last year that was both teams weak links. If App is able to make them one dimensional I think we win.

I have high expectations for us this year... and it's mainly due to us vastly improving against the run (hopefully xprayx).

OL FU
August 29th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Hate that I haven't had time to focus too much on this stuff and hate even more I have to wait one more week for Furman to start. but.....................

GSU/SV ST: GSU by a lot. Could be Three scores, could be 7 scores. I'll take closer to 7
El Cid/Chowan: The Citadel better win this one (and they will) could be a long season.
FSU/Samford: I think FSU is going to be good this year. Too bad Bobby couldn't be around to whoop his alma mater. (Samford is his alma mater, isn't it?)
Appy/Chatt: Appy will have jitters without Armanti, Chat will be flying high for a good start. Game will be close but ASU pulls it out 7-10 points.
NC State/WCU: No clue by how bad, but the wolfpack will win. I'll take Catman's word that WCU's defense will be good (until proven otherwise). So NC STate scores somewhere between 24 and 30.
Duke/Elon: Hoping for the best but expecting Duke to prevail by around 14.
Ohio/Wofford: I know nothing about Ohio other than where it lies geographically, but I will pick them and no idea of the score.

SU DOG
August 29th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Bobby Bowden AND Jimbo Fisher were both All-American QBs at Samford.

Saint3333
August 29th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Looks like everyone is picking UTC in this one, would that make a win for ASU a quality win in the FCS?

OL FU
August 30th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Looks like everyone is picking UTC in this one, would that make a win for ASU a quality win in the FCS?

Not everyonexsmhx

I think there is a lot of wishful thinking.

OL FU
August 30th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Bobby Bowden AND Jimbo Fisher were both All-American QBs at Samford.

I was 95% certain I was correct about Bobby. Didn't know about Jimboxthumbsupx

I understand their positions, but I really wish Bobby had received one more year. One, for the Samford game, probably mean more to Samford fans than FSU fans and two, because I think he would have at least had this year to head the program back in the right direction. I might be wrong but I think FSU will be good this year. Maybe not be FSU standards but at least righting the ship.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I fully expect it to be a hard fought game. The QB's will be important... but, what will be most interesting will be UTC's running game vs. Appalachian's run D. Last year that was both teams weak links. If App is able to make them one dimensional I think we win.

I have high expectations for us this year... and it's mainly due to us vastly improving against the run (hopefully xprayx).

I imagine it is hard not to have high expectations as an App fan these days. Heck, mine are still high for Furman. I think it fortunate that ASU fans will have their questions answered regarding the departure of Armanti Edwards very quickly. If Pressly excels on the road against a good UTC team, you can expect App to be in the NC picture all year. If he struggles, you can expect wins against Elon, Furman, Wofford, etc. won't come so easy.

Woof
August 30th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Chowan at The Citadel.....shouldn't this be played on a Friday night?
Savannah State at Georgia Southern...Glorious return of the TO in the 'Boro
Samford at Florida State...JF era in Talahassee gets off to good start, but Sammy shows some pride and won't let them hang 50.
Appalachian State at Chattanooga...Hillbillies sans Armanti, expect a close game
Elon at Duke.... Sorry, but the Flaming Pigeons are not quite there yet, even though it is just Duke
Wofford at Ohio...Too many questions yet for me to get too bold, but hopefully T-Dogs get some competitive swagger back
Western Carolina at NC State...Lots of howling in this one.
Furman v. Idle.... I predict the Purple Pansies will not score this week :)

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Chowan at The Citadel.....shouldn't this be played on a Friday night?
Savannah State at Georgia Southern...Glorious return of the TO in the 'Boro
Samford at Florida State...JF era in Talahassee gets off to good start, but Sammy shows some pride and won't let them hang 50.
Appalachian State at Chattanooga...Hillbillies sans Armanti, expect a close game
Elon at Duke.... Sorry, but the Flaming Pigeons are not quite there yet, even though it is just Duke
Wofford at Ohio...Too many questions yet for me to get too bold, but hopefully T-Dogs get some competitive swagger back
Western Carolina at NC State...Lots of howling in this one.
Furman v. Idle.... I predict the Purple Pansies will not score this week :)

Idle may be the only team that's going to hold our offense to under 30 points. Well, them and USC. :)

SideLine Shooter
August 30th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Idle may be the only team that's going to hold our offense to under 30 points. Well, them and USC. :)

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Mntneer
August 30th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

This.

SouthernEagle02
August 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Chowan at The Citadel
I look for this game to be a real time dress rehearsal for the Bulldogs for their week 2 meeting against Arizona. However, some D-2 teams can be wildcards but I don’t foresee the Hawks giving the Bulldogs problems. Expect Citadel’s 2nd team to be on the field for at least 2 & a half quarters for this one. Citadel 49 Chowan 10.

Sav. State at Ga. Southern
On paper and even with all the changes, GS should easily win this game. However, a bad pitch here and a missed tackle there could allow this game could be a lot closer than many are expecting. I expect a very rough first half for the Eagles and the Tigers could have the lead going into the half. But I also expect GS to do what they did best back when PJ was there and clamp down and own the 2nd half. Look for the Eagles to gain confidence in the TO, which they’ll need at Navy, and expect an Eagle win. Georgia Southern 41 Sav. St. 28

Samford at Florida State
I honestly believe Samford has a fighting chance in this one. Of course depth will come into play in the late stages, but if the Bulldogs can keep it close (no more than 14 pt difference) then they could spoil Jimbo’s official debut and go into Natchitoches with a win and a huge boost to their confidence level. But then again, FSU is FSU. FSU 35 Samford 28

Arguably the biggest game of week one and most talked about game over the summer. Even though App lost one the finest and most successful players at the FCS level over the summer, they return several key players from last year’s playoff squad. Even with a some-what inexperienced quarterback, it is that reason alone I think App will pull out the W. However, UTC has become more solid on both sides of the ball over the past few seasons and could easily rattle App’s QB enough to pull out the “upset.” Honestly, this game could go either way…and probably will during the game. What I don’t expect is a blowout (see our pathetic game against App last year). App 21 UTC 17 or UTC 21 App 17.

Elon at Duke
Not too much commentary on this one. Duke lost their opener last year to an FCS opponent, Richmond, and have lost 4 in a row. I’ll take the Phoenix in this one. Elon 28 Duke 14

Wofford at Ohio
Wofford is coming off what could be considered one of their worst seasons in recent years, while the Bobcats are coming off one of their best. Even though both lost their last games last year, I see Ohio winning this one. Ohio 56 Wofford 21

Despite only winning 2 games last year, WCU has a history of showing up for certain games out of the year. While I don’t see the Catamounts coming out of Raleigh with the W, they could still come out with their pride and a decent showing. However, all that hinges on which WCU team shows up. Will it be the WCU team that played App close last year (aside from #14 not playing) or the WCU that failed to make the trip to Vandy? NCST 46 WCU 10

PhoenixPhan06
August 30th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Love the commentary, I can only hope the turn out at Wallace Wade turns out that way!! I think our matchup with Duke will be closer than people expect but we certainly have enough weapons to make it interesting.

SU DOG
August 30th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Nice work Eagle 02. I hope you are right about Samford - I would gladly take that score right now. The Noles figure to be greatly improved this year, however, and their team speed will probably be WAY too much for the Dogs. I do hope we can be respectable. Maybe I'm too much of a realist.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2010, 05:17 PM
An interesting note on the SSU/GSU game. Best I can tell, Julius Dixon is the current/interim head coach. He was a defensive back on Furman's two teams that appeared in the national title game in the 80s (against GSU, mind you) and was a guy that coached Furman's defense for 14 seasons (back in the days when our guys actually played defense).

That said, there are probably few coaches in college football right now that have been on the defensive side of the triple option as much as Julius Dixon. While I still think GSU will win, and SSU lacks the discipline to stop it, your point is well taken. GSU will be facing a guy on the opposing sideline that knows what he's doing and has seen and prepared for GSU's option from Erk through Sewak.

ASU_Fanatic
August 30th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

T-Dog
August 31st, 2010, 03:34 AM
Chowan at The Citadel - El Cit 35-7
Savannah State at Georgia Southern - GSU 42-14
Samford at Florida State - FSU 56-7
Appalachian State at Chattanooga - NP
Elon at Duke - Duke 28-24
Wofford at Ohio - Ohio 24-16
Western Carolina at NC State - NCSU 49-7

GaSouthern
August 31st, 2010, 10:31 AM
Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

I agree!

Baldy
August 31st, 2010, 11:24 AM
Sav. State at Ga. Southern
On paper and even with all the changes, GS should easily win this game. However, a bad pitch here and a missed tackle there could allow this game could be a lot closer than many are expecting. I expect a very rough first half for the Eagles and the Tigers could have the lead going into the half. But I also expect GS to do what they did best back when PJ was there and clamp down and own the 2nd half. Look for the Eagles to gain confidence in the TO, which they’ll need at Navy, and expect an Eagle win. Georgia Southern 41 Sav. St. 28

If SSU scored 28 on our defense, we will be lucky to finish 1-10, and I don't see that happening. The Tigers are in major shambles and I believe they will struggle to make first downs. If we repeatedly cough be ball up, which is entirely possible, they could score 28. Otherwise, if we hold onto the ball, SSU will run only a handful of plays on the GSU side of the 50, if that many.

seantaylor
August 31st, 2010, 04:34 PM
Chowan at The Citadel - El Cit 35-7
Savannah State at Georgia Southern - GSU is back to being GSU and puts an epic beating on SSU. 58-0
Samford at Florida State - FSU 51-10
Appalachian State at Chattanooga - Appy 31-28
Elon at Duke - Duke 41-17
Wofford at Ohio - Ohio 35-12
Western Carolina at NC State - NCSU 52-3

jayhawkdaddy
August 31st, 2010, 04:53 PM
The Citadel ...romps all over Chowan
Ga Southern ...survives over Savannah State
Florida State ...makes the Bulldogs hurt real bad
UT-Chatt ...catches a break late to upset Appy State
Duke ...wins a very close home game over EU
Wofford ...holds their SC heads high with the upset at Ohio
NC State ...regrets playing WCU but wins healthy

oldsouthernman
August 31st, 2010, 05:18 PM
Jimbo played at Salem(WVa) College and followed Terry Bowden to Samford for his last two years.

RattlerFan70
August 31st, 2010, 06:03 PM
Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

elon77
September 1st, 2010, 09:44 AM
Here they are,

The Citadel
The Real GSU
Samford
ASU
Elon
Woff
WCU

Clean sweep for the Socon. Who's a homer?

The Cats
September 2nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
xprost2x

furpal87
September 2nd, 2010, 12:44 PM
Okay, I'll give it a shot.

Cit 51-12 It better be like this or it will be a long year
FSU 62-13 FSU will try and run it up. Fisher is going to try and impress and show his lack of class
Duke 33-16 Duke is better, last year's Elon team, maybe this year's no.
NCSU 41-17 State's only chance at an easy win
Ohio 33-14 Don't know if I can buy into Wofford this year.
GSU 30-17 Sluggish start, will survive
App 31-28 Until anyone proves otherwise, App is still the best in the league.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2010, 01:17 PM
I didn't realize that Chowan got smacked around by Lenoir Rhyne already 59-10. If the Citadel doesn't put 50 on them in the first half they better worry:)

glsjunior
September 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Go Savannah State!

AndrewFU21
September 2nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
What's this I hear about Elon's starting RB being out for the year?

phoenixphanatic21
September 2nd, 2010, 08:25 PM
I'd like to know this as well. I assume you are talking about Jamal Shuman. I know he is out for the Duke game but I haven't heard a thing about him being out for the year.

appfan2008
September 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Chowan at The Citadel
Samford at Florida State
Elon at Duke
Wofford at Ohio

I dont think I have said this in a long time but the closest game may be the ASU game... should be a good one... I know UTC is rather up for this one... I hope we are tooo...

GaSouthern
September 3rd, 2010, 12:08 PM
App should cleanly walk away from Chatty in the 4th quarter but if they fall behind much like they did against GSU in 2007 then they could be in for an upset, the more I think about this the more I expect Appy to slam the mocs honestly.

GSU's 3rd or 4th worst team in school history beat the Moc's pretty bad last year.

PhoenixPhan06
September 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM
What's this I hear about Elon's starting RB being out for the year?

The other thing about that is we really don't have a true starting RB, more of a RB by committee approach. Shuman is the scatback, Newsome is the power back, and Harris is the all-purpose back. We're definetly gonna miss him in the Duke game as he is one of our fastest players, but Newsome and Harris should be able to put in a good day's work in the backfield for us in the meantime while Shuman recovers.

gophoenix
September 3rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
GSU's 3rd or 4th worst team in school history beat the Moc's pretty bad last year.

LOL

Wofford: 1889
Furman: 1889
UTC: 1899
Samford: 1902
The Citadel: 1905
Elon: 1909
App: 1928
Western Carolina: 1931

GSU: 1982

Which one of these doesn't belong? 3rd or 4th worst team.... in such a small sample size. LOL

Elon and App have played more games than GSU has had a football team.... and then the series took a break that lasted longer than GSU has had a football team.

Haha, 3rd or 4th worst team.

eaglewraith
September 3rd, 2010, 01:49 PM
LOL

Wofford: 0
Furman: 1
UTC: 0
Samford: 0
The Citadel: 0
Elon: 0
App: 3
Western Carolina: 0

GSU: 6

Which one of these doesn't belong?

FIFY

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
LOL

Wofford: 1889
Furman: 1889
UTC: 1899
Samford: 1902
The Citadel: 1905
Elon: 1909
App: 1928
Western Carolina: 1931

GSU: 1982

Which one of these doesn't belong? 3rd or 4th worst team.... in such a small sample size. LOL

Elon and App have played more games than GSU has had a football team.... and then the series took a break that lasted longer than GSU has had a football team.

Haha, 3rd or 4th worst team.

Not sure what the point of your post is. Some of GSU's worst teams have been better than Elon's best teams.

SideLine Shooter
September 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Not sure what the point of your post is. Some of GSU's worst teams have been better than Elon's best teams.

xoutofrepxxnodxxnodx

ElonFirefighter
September 3rd, 2010, 03:29 PM

Not the past 3 years.... Could be 4

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 3rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Sorry, but I don't see Chatty beating App. State. Chatty just doesn't have the running game and doesn't have Blue Cooper. Just as well, though. Can't have App. State playing with their backs against the wall when they come to Statesboro and I'd like GSU to be the team that ends ASU's SoCon winning streak.

If Wofford is in 2007 or 2008 form they will beat Ohio, but I don't they are and I don't think they win.

Western loses, but suprises some folks by keeping it around 3 touchdowns or so.

El Cid wins, but not by much.

GSU's defense devours SSU's offense, but the offense sputters. GSU wins in a 28-3 type score

Furples beat Bye.

Samford gets creamed by a very hungry FSU team.

Elon defense shines against Duke, but offense won't be able to move the ball worth squat. I'm thinking a 27-10 type loss for them.

AppStateold299
September 3rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
Not the past 3 years.... Could be 4

This makes me laugh since the whole argument is trying to make GSU look bad because of their lack of years. So you are trying to argue that your last 3-4 years you have been good. Where were you the previous 95 - 96 years?

The Cats
September 3rd, 2010, 08:01 PM
We'll know all the answers by the end of the day - tomorrow. xthumbsupx

ElonFirefighter
September 3rd, 2010, 08:25 PM
i was just responding to that one comment on gsu worst beating our best.

ElonPride
September 3rd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Some of GSU's worst teams have been better than Elon's best teams.

xeyebrowx

Elon Fightin' Christians
September 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
From Burlington Times News regarding injuries:

http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/elon-36619-players-deals.html

App-a-latch-un
September 4th, 2010, 01:26 AM
El Cid
The Stink
Florida State, but lil sammy will turn a few heads
App, possibly close, but I think there is a lot of hopes and dreams on this one and App will run away with it!
Swag over Duke
Ohio
NCSU

App-a-latch-un
September 4th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Samford not going to turn a single head it looks like

glsjunior
September 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Samford is supposed to be the 4th best team in the SOCON? I know that this is FSU but they look like doo doo.