PDA

View Full Version : CAA - Week 1 Predictions

JMUNJ08
August 27th, 2010, 12:39 AM
The season is less than a week away for some teams so its about time to start predicting some games! Early games are usually lopsided and going toward the home team who is looking for early W's. Prediction is only 1 away team walks away victorious in week 1...

Albany @ Maine
Albany is all excited about the chance for an auto bid into the playoffs for the first time. This use to be a must win game for them to have an at-large shot. In the end it still is a very important OOC matchup to start the season and can be a real + or - come playoff time. In the end, Maine is a VERY tough team in Orono and I think the whispers of them making a playoff run will start being heard.
Albany - 17 @ Maine - 30

West Chester @ Delaware
What use to be a great matchup has died a PAINFULLY slow death. Delaware will once again roll in this annual matchup.
West Chester - 10 @ Delaware - 45

Rhode Island @ Buffalo
As bad as Buffalo and the MAC are, URI can still top them. The NEC can't wait to add this juggernaut in 2012.
URI - 3 @ Buffalo - 27

Towson @ Indiana
Towson looks to be an improving team in the ultra competitive (former) CAA South as they take on fellow cellar dweller Indiana. The only thing is Indiana wins their OOC so people can overlook their 1 win Big10 seasons.
Towson - 13 @ Indiana - 34

Villanova @ Temple
This one is SO tempting to pick an upset. Nova pulled it off last year but had plenty of breaks to get it done. They bring back plenty of experience but I think the ball will take a funny bounce just once and that will spell an early season loss for VU.
Villanove - 23 @ Temple - 28

C. Conn St @ New Hampshire
NEC and CAA North 2009 champs meet to start the season. However, UNH clearly sees the tougher CAA schedule ahead an makes sure they don't have any hiccups.
CCSt - 17 @ UNH - 38

W&M @ UMass
Only game matching up 2 CAA teams in week 1. Having only 10 teams in the league this year forced an early matchup between these two teams heading in opposite directions. W&M looks to stay at the top of the CAA and reclaim some glory years in the mid-2000's while UMass is replacing a bunch of starters off a not so great 5-6 team a year ago. The one wrench in this prediction, UMass is at home. The southern schools aren't fans of the north and struggle from time to time with the lengthy trip. However, I think the newly minted mascot for W&M will trip up the minuteman and take the W back to Virginia.
W&M - 27 @ UMass - 20

Richmond @ UVA
Mike London has to defeat his former team to win over the hungry Cavalier fans. They suffered an embarrassing 2009 campaign which reached its peak in week 1 with a solid defeat to W&M (I was there, it was B-A-D). UR has plenty of new faces and a Southern Cal QB. They have a brand new on campus home that I think they might want to make their rallying point once they are run out of Charlottesville. Won't be terrible but UVA keeps UR far enough away to make sure there is no 4th quarter drama.
Richmond - 17 @ UVA - 28

Morehead @ JMU
When your schools name can create TONS of one liners, there isn't much hope when your football team comes to visit the 1/2 improved Bridgeforth Stadium. The fans should have plenty of time to check out the new digs as Dudzik returns to help the Dukes to an easy win before the big date with VT.
Morehead - 10 @ JMU - 44

rufus
August 27th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Morehead @ JMU
When your schools name can create TONS of one liners, there isn't much hope when your football team comes to visit the 1/2 improved Bridgeforth Stadium. The fans should have plenty of time to check out the new digs as Dudzik returns to help the Dukes to an easy win before the big date with VT.
Morehead - 10 @ JMU - 44
I would say 1/4 improved at best -- one half of one side. I more or less agree with the score though.

NHwildEcat
August 27th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Maine d. Albany
Delaware d. West Chester
Buffalo d. URI
Indiana d. Towson
Temple d. Villanova
UNH d. CCSU
UMass d. W&M
UVA d. Richmond
JMU d. Morehead

JMUNJ08
August 27th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I would say 1/4 improved at best -- one half of one side. I more or less agree with the score though.

tomato / tomatoe - just sad I can't make any home games this year to see the new digs...might have to settle for the away game @ Towson...

WMTribe90
August 28th, 2010, 12:31 AM
That all seems reasonable, I'd go with a closer UVA v UR final perhaps. WM opening at UMass is the biggest game of the week. WM opening on the road with a new QB has me nervous.

WrenFGun
August 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Albany @ Maine -- While I have all the respect in the world for Albany, I think they're going to have a hard time dealing with Turcotte, Brown, Session, etc. Maine's defense is always good. I'll guess Maine 23 - Albany 10.

West Chester @ Delaware -- I'm so tired of this matchup. Delaware should romp. Delaware 48 - West Chester 13

Rhode Island @ Buffalo -- I think Rhode Island will score some points, but I'm not sure they'll be getting much in terms of stops. Buffalo 42 - Rhode Island 21

Towson @ Indiana -- Don't know a ton about Towson beyond the youth, but hopefully they'll improve this season. Indiana 38 - Towson 13

Villanova @ Temple -- Temple should be better this year and they've improved over time, but I think Villanova is a better team. I think it will be tough to beat an FBS team two years in a row, though. Villanova 21 - Temple 20

Central Connecticut State @ UNH -- I'm not "excited" about this matchup and think it will be a tight one. Central Connecticut will win the time of possession but I think UNH will have a couple of quick strikes that will prevent the upset. UNH 27 - Central Connecticut State 17

William & Mary @ UMass -- I think W&M is a bit overrated with the amount of losses they've had and I think it may take a bit of time to gel here. Their defense will surely be outstanding but winning at UMass is tough and the crowd should be into it. The RB from NU should help their chances and I like them to pull the upset, 17-14.

Richmond @ UVA -- I don't see Mike London losing to his former team, but I think it will be tight. UVA 20 - Richmond 17

Morehead @ JMU -- JMU is the biggest wildcard in the conference, but I don't think this one will be close. Be interesting to see who is doing much of the quarterbacking and how the offense looks. JMU could easily win the CAA or finish 6th or 7th. JMU 38 - Morehead 13.

heath
August 28th, 2010, 08:17 PM
JMU and Delaware in routs, Nova an W&M in close games, and the Richmond -UVa game might be a toss up. CAA should will 6 of those

SO ILLmatic
August 29th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Maine
Delaware
Buffalo
Indiana
Nova
UNH
UMass
Virginia
JMU

CAAisBOSS
August 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
i see some people are still a bit bitter about the spanking we laid down last december...xlolx

tribefan40
August 29th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Looks like there's some bitterness from November as well... should be a great game in Durham this year!

UNH Fanboi
August 29th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Looks like there's some bitterness from November as well... should be a great game in Durham this year!

There's bitterness from the last 12 years.

Seriously though, looking at the UMass-W&M game objectively, it is a very dangerous game for W&M.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I see that it's about a 50/50 split on the Temple-Nova game which is understandable. However, all things considered we have to be the favorite this year. Given what this game means to both teams everything will be left on the field. As long as we keep our emotions in check and don't make mistakes like last year we'll take care of business.

NFLCB2
August 29th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Albany @ Maine
West Chester @ Delaware
Rhode Island @ Buffalo
Towson @ Indiana
Villanova @ Temple
C. Conn St @ New Hampshire
W&M @ UMass
Richmond @ UVA
Morehead @ JMU

tribefan40
August 30th, 2010, 11:43 AM
There's bitterness from the last 12 years.

Seriously though, looking at the UMass-W&M game objectively, it is a very dangerous game for W&M.

No doubt. Traveling to the Northeast three times does not make me feel good.

LeadBolt
August 30th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I'll take:
Maine
Delaware
Buffalo
Indiana
Temple
New Hampshire
William & Mary
UVA
JMU

JMad03
August 30th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Maine
Delaware
Buffalo
Indiana
Nova
New Hampshire
W&M
UVA
JMU

EmeryZach
August 30th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Albany 14 - Maine 42 - Maine is going to be a quality team this year.

West Chester 7 - Delaware 58 - Devlin is gooooooood.

URI 0 - Buffalo 32 - URI players are not going to show up for this one. Actually, I doubt they show up all year.

Towson 13 - Indiana 27 - Won't be a huge blowout. I think the Tigers will surprise people this year.

'Nova 27 - Temple 30 - Not going to happen two years in a row.

CCSU 7 - UNH 24 - Just don't think the Blue Devils will keep it close.

William & Mary 42 - UMass 21 - Minutemen just don't have it this year.

Richmond 14 - UVA 38 - London is not losing this game. He can't.

Morehead State 3 - James Madison 47 - Mickey Mouse isn't going to lose the first game of the season to an OVC school.

GannonFan
August 30th, 2010, 01:36 PM
My take:

Albany 14 at Maine 28: Should be a decent Maine team this year. I don't see CAA titles in their future, but a solid team nonetheless.

West Chester 14 at Delaware 42: UD in a romp in the next to next to last game in a series that should've died a decade ago.

Rhode Island 10 at Buffalo 35: I don't think much of Buffalo, but I think even less of URI.

Towson 14 at Indiana 35: I don't think this is much of a contest, just not sure if Indiana has the firepower to really embarrass Towson or not.

villanova 21 at Temple 35: I don't think Temple will turn it over anywhere near as much as they did last year, and nova certainly has their attention this year. I think Temple's "resurgence" is partly a mirage as I see them as a top team in a sinking MAC conference, but to their credit, they aren't terrible anymore.

Cent Conn St 21 at New Hampshire 42: UNH finds a way to field a good team, every year. This year will be no different.

William and Mary 42 at UMass 10: Not seeing it at all for UMass this year. I think W&M takes a step back from what they did last year, but UMass was a shell of a team last year and they've lost most of that shell. Long year up in Amherst.

Richmond 7 at Virginia 28: Just the first loss in what could be a long year for an incredibly depleted Richmond team.

Morehead St 3 at James Madison 56: Despite all the problems JMU has had with injuries and suspensions, this is probably the weakest team any CAA side is seeing this week. JMU in a walk.

JMUNJ08
August 30th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Morehead St 3 at James Madison 56: Despite all the problems JMU has had with injuries and suspensions, this is probably the weakest team any CAA side is seeing this week. JMU in a walk.

Worse than West Chester????

You guys are almost there to a full D1 schedule!

Old Cage
August 30th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Nice to see that our terminally depressed poster, EmeryZach, is burying his team a week before the season starts.

WrenFGun
August 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Always look forward to Emery Zach's posts!

I expect to be a UMass/Maine homer this year...go CAA north even though it doesn't exist!

lknspider
August 30th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Richmond pulls the upset at UVA 20-17. With seven 1st team CAA pre-season selections and 3 out of 4 from the CAA nominated for the Buck Buchanan, this team has talent (and most fans don't analyze the roster beyond starters from the prior year) have written them off way too early. Spiders are picked 6th in the CAA and 6 in the national poll.......we'll know who is probably right in the next four weeks. Go Spiders!

bullseye44
August 30th, 2010, 10:14 PM
That all seems reasonable, I'd go with a closer UVA v UR final perhaps. WM opening at UMass is the biggest game of the week. WM opening on the road with a new QB has me nervous.

I'm with you. Hoping that we're talented enough everywhere else that a (mostly) mistake free start will let us get the W so we can get to our fall scrimmage with the Keydets.

JMUNJ08
August 30th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Richmond pulls the upset at UVA 20-17. With seven 1st team CAA pre-season selections and 3 out of 4 from the CAA nominated for the Buck Buchanan, this team has talent (and most fans don't analyze the roster beyond starters from the prior year) have written them off way too early. Spiders are picked 6th in the CAA and 6 in the national poll.......we'll know who is probably right in the next four weeks. Go Spiders!

Individual ackolades are hard to judge a team by...Moats was the Buchanan Award winner on a 6-5 team. The BEST defensive player on a team that struggled on both ends of the ball at times.

This year I think JMU has 1 (REALLY??? thats it????) player on the preseason all conference teams but is picked higher than Richmond. But you are right, we will all find out soon!

lknspider
August 31st, 2010, 08:47 AM
Individual ackolades are hard to judge a team by...Moats was the Buchanan Award winner on a 6-5 team. The BEST defensive player on a team that struggled on both ends of the ball at times.

This year I think JMU has 1 (REALLY??? thats it????) player on the preseason all conference teams but is picked higher than Richmond. But you are right, we will all find out soon!

Richmond has SEVEN not one....should bode well.

JMUNJ08
August 31st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Richmond has SEVEN not one....should bode well.

Yes I know. JMU has 1 which my post stated...

GannonFan
August 31st, 2010, 10:29 AM
Worse than West Chester????

You guys are almost there to a full D1 schedule!

Yeah, they are worse than West Chester. I thought you guys found out that whole "some DII teams are much better than bad FCS teams" when you got that scare from Bloomsburg.

But don't worry, soon we'll have an easier schedule and have it be all DI as well - West Chester is normally a TD favorite against Del St so when we end the West Chester Series and pick up Del St it'll look like a better schedule but actually be easier. Oh, and Del St is much better than Morehead St too, btw.

bostonspider
August 31st, 2010, 11:17 AM
Interesting lines from Vegas on the Villanova and Richmond games

Villanova -2
Richmond +4

It is pretty cool to see Villanova favored over the best team in the MAC, playing at Temple!. And for UR to only be a 4pt dog on the road to UVA is pretty impressive, considering the how much talent graduated last spring for the Spiders.

Go CAA teams!

EmeryZach
August 31st, 2010, 11:20 AM
Nice to see that our terminally depressed poster, EmeryZach, is burying his team a week before the season starts.

I'm back with the full force of reverse psychology. But seriously Cage, we have lots of work to do.

jmufan999
August 31st, 2010, 03:27 PM
Yeah, they are worse than West Chester.

um....no. no, they're not.

jayhawkdaddy
August 31st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Maine
Delaware
Buffalo
Indiana
Villanova
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Virginia
James Madison

JMad03
August 31st, 2010, 04:52 PM
um....no. no, they're not.
I actually agree with Gannon- they are pretty bad. They are the few D-I programs that run without any schollys. West Chester does offer schollys. MSU could technically be called a club team. MSU would probably be competitive in D-II- much more than they would be in FCS.
That being said, I'd still rather play an FCS team than a D-II team.

RattlerFan70
August 31st, 2010, 06:11 PM
Maine
Delaware
Buffalo
Indiana
Villanova
UNH
W&M
UVA
JMU

caribbeanhen
September 1st, 2010, 06:27 AM
Delaware was on cruise control (as always) against West Chester last year, when they played Del State, you could see that Del State was better than West Chester

NovaWildcat
September 1st, 2010, 06:47 AM
Maine over Albany - like others, I think Maine can make a playoff run this year. Albany puts up a fight for 2 or 3 quarters.
Deleware over the local YMCA - yawn.
Buffalo over URI - mismatch despite UB losing their coach. URI doesn't have firepower to compete with any FBS.
Indiana over Towson - blowout.
Villanova over Temple - comes down to last possession. This one is completely a toss-up.
UNH over Central Conn. - blowout.
William & Mary over UMass - the only thing that makes this close is home field advantage for UMass.
Virginia over Richmond - Don't think this will be that close - UR loses some and you have to imagine London knows the game plan.
JMU over Morehead St. - blowout.

UNH72Plus
September 1st, 2010, 12:42 PM
Could be some interesting outcomes in the northeast if the hurricane hits on Saturday.

bluehenbillk
September 1st, 2010, 01:01 PM
Maine 24 Albany 16
Delaware 48 West Chester 6
Buffalo 38 URI 7
Indiana 58 Towson 13
Temple 27 Villanova 26
UNH 40 CCSU 14
UMass 16 W&M 13
UVA 24 Richmond 7
JMU 45 Morehead 7

EmeryZach
September 1st, 2010, 02:04 PM
Maine 24 Albany 16
Delaware 48 West Chester 6
Buffalo 38 URI 7
Indiana 58 Towson 13
Temple 27 Villanova 26
UNH 40 CCSU 14
UMass 16 W&M 13
UVA 24 Richmond 7
JMU 45 Morehead 7

Hey now! Bluehen with the upset special!

jstclmet
September 1st, 2010, 04:08 PM
Just in case you forgot......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=092d7_fGshY

JMUNJ08
September 1st, 2010, 11:41 PM
I actually agree with Gannon- they are pretty bad. They are the few D-I programs that run without any schollys. West Chester does offer schollys. MSU could technically be called a club team. MSU would probably be competitive in D-II- much more than they would be in FCS.
That being said, I'd still rather play an FCS team than a D-II team.

The exact point...btw we only used about 5 plays in the bloomsburg game to not allow everyone to scout us that week...but yes, i was worried until i realized bloomsburg wouldn't score on us

caribbeanhen
September 2nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
Just in case you forgot......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=092d7_fGshY

I am sure Temple has not forgot - Nova 0-1....
CAA has peaked last year - UVA will take down Da Spidas

EmeryZach
September 2nd, 2010, 11:36 AM
I have this feeling that it is going to be a down year for FCS teams beating FBS teams. I hope I am wrong though.

GeeWiz
September 2nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
Despite the fact that NU has no more football, I'll still give my weekly CAA picks.

So here are my picks for Week One in the CAA ...

Dirty Cubs over Albany
Blue Chickens over West Chester
Buffalo over URI
Indiana over Towson
Temple over Villanova
UNH over CCSU
WM over UMass
UVA over Richmond
JMU over Morehead

EmeryZach
September 2nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
GeeWiz this must be a sad weekend for you.

NHwildEcat
September 2nd, 2010, 03:24 PM
I have this feeling that it is going to be a down year for FCS teams beating FBS teams. I hope I am wrong though.

For some of this that has been every year recently...I have a strong feeling though that the UNH run will end next week against Pitt.

EmeryZach
September 2nd, 2010, 03:26 PM
For some of this that has been every year recently...I have a strong feeling though that the UNH run will end next week against Pitt.

Yeah, Pitt is probably the best FBS team you have played in the past five years. It would be quite the upset. I never underestimate UNH vs. FBS though.

UNH Fanboi
September 2nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
If Pitt were primarily a passing team, I would be a little more hopeful. I think our defense is better equipped to stop the pass, and that opens up more TO opportunities. But I'm afraid that Pitt will be able to play it safe and just run the ball down our throats.

GeeWiz
September 2nd, 2010, 06:01 PM
GeeWiz this must be a sad weekend for you.

It's a little strange not seeing NU on the schedule or no games on TV, but I'm over it now.

Even though the last few seasons I knew NU didn't have a shot at making the playoffs, it was still good being apart of this conference.

I wish all of the CAA success this year!

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
It's a little strange not seeing NU on the schedule or no games on TV, but I'm over it now.

Even though the last few seasons I knew NU didn't have a shot at making the playoffs, it was still good being apart of this conference.

I wish all of the CAA success this year!

The notion of Northeastern without football irks more than just Husky fans, believe me.

Old Cage
September 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Hey, Northeastern guys - How about driving west to Amherst (Newsweek's #1 college town in the USA) and see what tailgating is about and watch some CAA ball?

Weather.com says sunny, windy and 73 degrees for the 3:30 kickoff.

EmeryZach
September 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
Hey now, Albany with the upset over Maine! Albany 3 - Maine 0 Final

R3TRO
September 2nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
3-0? WTF?

Squealofthepig
September 2nd, 2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah. Who let them get the hat track over the Bears?

This is one I know I got wrong. But kudos to Albany for a good win on the road to open the season.

WestCoastAggie
September 2nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
UCA doesn't look that good against D-2 Eliz. City State from the CIAA.

They are winning but they aren't dominating. Hmm...

tribefan40
September 2nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Did anybody see this game? (Maine-Albany) I've heard lots of talk about Maine as a possible playoff contender this year - did Maine have a very off night or is Albany that good this year?

danefan
September 2nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Did anybody see this game? (Maine-Albany) I've heard lots of talk about Maine as a possible playoff contender this year - did Maine have a very off night or is Albany that good this year?

The Albany D was very good up front blowing up a ton of plays at the line, but the Maine passing game didn't look very good either. Cosgrove made a stupid call on a 4th and short that was pivotal as well. Turcotte was getting 3+ yards a carry during the drive and they went with a QB sneak on 4th and less than 1. They got stuffed.

I can't say that Maine isn't a playoff contender, but they'll have to play better then tonight to get there. The talent is there, the execution was not tonight.

Same on the Albany side too though. Fumbles and penalties cost the Danes at least 14 points.

Squealofthepig
September 2nd, 2010, 10:07 PM
I think Danefan's assessment is fair. I didn't watch the game, but the stats showed an... odd game, and while expectations for both teams are high this year, have to give the Danes credit. I think Maine will be an improved team this year, but Albany will be one of those teams other teams just don't want to see in the playoffs.

Maine has a lot of weapons - and may contend in the northern CAA this year. Albany has a rough road, but could be a very dangerous team. Only time will tell what this game will really mean, but again, kudos to Albany for a tough, hard-fought road win.

NHwildEcat
September 2nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
I think Danefan's assessment is fair. I didn't watch the game, but the stats showed an... odd game, and while expectations for both teams are high this year, have to give the Danes credit. I think Maine will be an improved team this year, but Albany will be one of those teams other teams just don't want to see in the playoffs.

Maine has a lot of weapons - and may contend in the northern CAA this year. Albany has a rough road, but could be a very dangerous team. Only time will tell what this game will really mean, but again, kudos to Albany for a tough, hard-fought road win.

Just for the record...there is no northern CAA this year...everyone is in what big ol division.

Didn't Maine drop their first game last year? Or was it just really close? I cannot remember and am too lazy to check on it at this point.

Jackman
September 2nd, 2010, 11:10 PM
Division II St. Cloud St. took Maine to overtime in the opener last season, but Maine won. And Albany beat them last year too. It's an upset, but not shocking. The 3-0 score is a little surprising.

Jackman
September 2nd, 2010, 11:15 PM
Hey, Northeastern guys - How about driving west to Amherst (Newsweek's #1 college town in the USA) and see what tailgating is about and watch some CAA ball?

I'm guessing the Nor'easter fans are still too bitter about the Don Brown thing to show up at a UMass game, unless it's to cheer against us.

JMUNJ08
September 3rd, 2010, 08:01 AM
Hey now, Albany with the upset over Maine! Albany 3 - Maine 0 Final

Really surprised. Not just with the loss but it was at home where they can be soooooooooooo much better than when they travel. JMU knows its usually an entirely different team up there whether they are 3-8 or 8-3.

Kudos to Albany but Maine better right the ship quickly or is going to get burried in the CAA.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 3rd, 2010, 10:42 AM
3-0...was that from the field hockey game?

blukeys
September 3rd, 2010, 04:34 PM

Old Cage I have been to Amherst and if that is what tailgating is about then Roseanne Barr is a Miss America contestant and her talent is singing.

As for Amherst being the # 1 college town in the U.S., that just proves why buying Newsweek for one dollar means the new owner paid too much.

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Terrence Thomas was predicting Maine to make the playoffs but would never put out any reasons for his analysis -

jstclmet
September 4th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Terrence Thomas was predicting Maine to make the playoffs but would never put out any reasons for his analysis -

Read the CSN Yearbook with the CAA Preview in the 1st PDF

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?209-2010-FCS-Yearbook

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Read the CSN Yearbook with the CAA Preview in the 1st PDF

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?209-2010-FCS-Yearbook

thanks, I was to lazy to go looking for that - just seemed that an average Delaware 2009 team looked real good against the Cubbies last year, so It was a bit of an brow raiser with your prediciton on Maine - looks like the passing game in Orono is still on the chalkboard, hey but you never know... I dont totally disagree that they can bounce back from this and make some noise in a down year for the CAA but Delaware will be in before Maine

JMUNJ08
September 5th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Albany - 17 @ Maine - 30xbangxxbangx

West Chester - 10 @ Delaware - 45xthumbsupx

URI - 3 @ Buffalo - 27xthumbsupx

Towson - 13 @ Indiana - 34xthumbsupx

Villanove - 23 @ Temple - 28xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

CCSt - 17 @ UNH - 38xthumbsupx

W&M - 27 @ UMass - 20xeyebrowx

Richmond - 17 @ UVA - 28xthumbsupx

Morehead - 10 @ JMU - 44xthumbsupx

7-2 Overall
0-1 CAA

Respectible considering Maine and W&M were the favorites of many

GeeWiz
September 5th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Old Cage I have been to Amherst and if that is what tailgating is about then Roseanne Barr is a Miss America contestant and her talent is singing.

I was going to ignore the original post, but Blukeys you summed this up perfectly! xthumbsupx

You'd think tailgating at Amherst is equal to Baton Rouge or Austin, TX from that silly statement.

dennisdent
September 5th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I was going to ignore the original post, but Blukeys you summed this up perfectly! xthumbsupx

You'd think tailgating at Amherst is equal to Baton Rouge or Austin, TX from that silly statement.

Compared to tailgating at Northeastern it is.;)

Old Cage
September 5th, 2010, 09:43 AM
dennis - My point exactly. However many thousand were tailgating at UMass yesterday, subtract that number from itself and you will get the approximate answer to how many ever tailgated at Northeastern.

We relaxed the rules a few years ago and the tailgates are going strong. I've been to an LSU tailgate day. I know what that's like. Of course we don't compare.

As for Amherst, I stand by that rating. If your world is all about football and beer, so be it.

umassfan
September 5th, 2010, 09:57 AM

I guess he hasnt been up to a game in Amherst in awhile. I go back to Amherst every year and the tailgating is growing by the year.

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2010, 12:22 PM
My take:

William and Mary 42 at UMass 10: Not seeing it at all for UMass this year. I think W&M takes a step back from what they did last year, but UMass was a shell of a team last year and they've lost most of that shell. Long year up in Amherst.

might have re-calibrate your picker GF...

umassfan
September 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM
might have re-calibrate your picker GF...

It's ok. He always was a umass hater and always will be a umass hater. It's expected.

GeeWiz
September 6th, 2010, 02:35 AM
dennis - My point exactly. However many thousand were tailgating at UMass yesterday, subtract that number from itself and you will get the approximate answer to how many ever tailgated at Northeastern.

We relaxed the rules a few years ago and the tailgates are going strong. I've been to an LSU tailgate day. I know what that's like. Of course we don't compare.

Why even bring this up in the first place? What are you hoping I would say in response? "See what tailgating is all about and see some CAA ball?" Right.

Maybe NU fans didn't tailgate at Parsons Field because THERE'S NO PARKING LOT to tailgate! Unlike Amherst, we don't have massive parking space there. It dosen't take a rocket scientist to see that.

I could think of 100 other facilities to go if I want a good tailgate and McGuirk wouldn't be on that list. I don't need to go there now or 20 years ago when I was at NU.

You UMass fans can't just let things be. Our program is gone, yet, you can't resist kicking dirt on the programs grave.

Maroon&White
September 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Sort of like how Don Brown is gone, yet NU fans still can't let things be.

tribefan40
September 6th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Somebody help me out - didn't get to listen to or watch the game saturday and the box score is just frustrating me - game looked tight and then UMass came on and won it in the end... was it that close? did we let down at the end or get beat? I want some eye-witness reports!

By the way congrats on the win to UMass - looks like you guys will have a stout running attack this year!

WrenFGun
September 6th, 2010, 11:46 AM
As someone who watched the entire game, I felt kind of "meh" about both teams. Grimes really struggled to get everything going and the W&M QB had a very weak arm, though he did seem pretty quick. There were a lot jump balls that W&M came up with over UMass defenders that could have gone the other way. The defense didn't look as stout as I would imagine either, considering Havens is a lower echelon CAA QB.

I didn't see a playoff team on the field in game one, but a lot can change from game to game.

Umass74
September 6th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I was there in person and later watched the Comcast broadcast, I didn't think either team did that bad. For W&M, it was the first game for a new QB and the Tribe's best LB DNP. They still looked well coached and athletic. I saw no reason for Tribe fans to fall on their swords.

For UMass, we had tons of new starters and players in their first ever game. All new starters at WR, new FB, two new starters on OL. Four new starters at DL (with a grand total of two starts between all four of them) and two new DB's.

Great effort by UMass' defense. Some of the penalties were because of aggressive play and I'll take that any day. It was a good, competitive CAA game and I would have said that if UMass had lost.

Good luck to William & Mary in the rest of the season and let's do it again in the second round of the expanded playoffs.

soccerguy315
September 6th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Somebody help me out - didn't get to listen to or watch the game saturday and the box score is just frustrating me - game looked tight and then UMass came on and won it in the end... was it that close? did we let down at the end or get beat? I want some eye-witness reports!

By the way congrats on the win to UMass - looks like you guys will have a stout running attack this year!

The offense looked solid, but could never really open things up on the ground. Our only big running plays were Callahan scrambles out of pressure. Grimes had a couple good running plays to start the 2nd half, but that was about it. That said, we were up 23-14 with 14 minutes left in the game. The defense couldn't stop the run at all. Many missed tackles. One of our CBs seemed to have a pretty bad game. One of their long TDs was launched into double coverage, but our guys misplayed the ball, as it turned into a fairly easy catch. Trantin (MLB, and I think he's a captain) didn't make the trip due to a concussion. Defense will need to be better. UMass tried to help the Tribe with a bunch of 15 yard penalties and a running into the kicker that gave us first downs... in addition to their QB going bonkers and throwing the ball over the line of scrimmage on 4th down when he could've just walked into the end zone. Don't write the Tribe off yet, but if they play like they did today, it will be a 5-6 season. Tribe has 2 weeks to get things figured out before trekking to what appears to be a down Maine team that lost to Albany, and then we get Villanova at home, which has turned into a much bigger game with the UMass loss.

just my thoughts

tribefan40
September 7th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Thanks!

Tribe4SF
September 7th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Was at the game in Amherst and was most impressed with the UMass o-line. They are big, athletic, and use their hands very well. Hernandez and Griffin are both very good backs, and with that o-line UMass will be in most games they play this year.

The UMass defense was better than I expected to see. Their young d-line held their own, and allowed a very good LB crew to work effectively. The secondary needs to improve, but they weren't lacking for speed there.

Beyond the bone-headed play on 4th down near the goal line, Havens was efficient and delivered the ball quickly with good accuracy. He was better than I had been led to believe.

On the whole UMass was a surprise. They played with attitude on both sides of the ball, and it will be interesting to see how they do the rest of the season.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 7th, 2010, 11:21 AM
UMass will be tough if they get a lead. They run the ball really well.
In the last couple years though they seem to be an up and down team, hard to figure out from week to week.

Umass74
September 7th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Last year we had two games UMass did not get off the bus: Delaware and Hofstra. Hopefully, the coaching staff has planned to improve that this year/

Col Hogan
September 7th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Last year we had two games UMass did not get off the bus: Delaware and Hofstra. Hopefully, the coaching staff has planed to improve that this year/

I know one game does not make a season...but watching on TV I saw a different attitude from everyone on the UMass side...a more positive attitude...

They didn't seem down when behind like I saw last season (especially at Delaware)...

Let's hope this attitude adjustment lasts the entire season...

EmeryZach
September 7th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Let's see how UMass plays on the road. That will be a big test. Also, let's pray that we come out of Michigan with no injuries in a couple weeks.

jstclmet
September 7th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I know one game does not make a season...but watching on TV I saw a different attitude from everyone on the UMass side...a more positive attitude...

They didn't seem down when behind like I saw last season (especially at Delaware)...

Let's hope this attitude adjustment lasts the entire season...

On the field before game time on the UMass side, I could see tightness and anxiousness on the players face. In the post game press conference, Holmes talked about how they were tight and missed too many tackles in the 1st half. Havens, Griffin, Hernandez, Holmes were all tired, but very happy with the outcome. I asked Hernandez did he run out of gas on that pass out to the flats that he took about 60 yds. He replied with an exhausted smile, saying YES

Tribe4SF
September 7th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I asked Hernandez did he run out of gas on that pass out to the flats that he took about 60 yds. He replied with an exhausted smile, saying YES

He was run down by Terrell Wells who has genuine speed. I only wish Wells had popped the ball out, which he attempted to do.

jstclmet
September 7th, 2010, 09:36 PM
He was run down by Terrell Wells who has genuine speed. I only wish Wells had popped the ball out, which he attempted to do.

I was on the Tribe side when Hernandez caught the ball in the flats on the UMass side and ran down the sideline. You could see him slow down before being pushed out of bounds from behind. I saw the highlite later that day, and you can clearly see him slow down before Wells caught him.