PDA

View Full Version : Your School's Graduation Rate

The Gadfly
January 20th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Coastal Carolina is at 92%...yours? :cool:

th0m
January 20th, 2006, 01:00 PM
It's already being covered in a different thread.

ButlerGSU
January 20th, 2006, 01:20 PM
GSU is at 72%, a vast improvement & #1 in the state of Georgia among D 1 schools.

SunCoastBlueHen
January 20th, 2006, 01:29 PM
What does a high graduation rate really tell you? Does it mean that the school only brings in academically capable student/athletes or does it mean that curriculum can be so easy that the athlete would have to be a complete moron to fail out? I would think there is some of both built into these numbers.

GannonFan
January 20th, 2006, 01:33 PM
What does a high graduation rate really tell you? Does it mean that the school only brings in academically capable student/athletes or does it mean that curriculum can be so easy that the athlete would have to be a complete moron to fail out? I would think there is some of both built into these numbers.

I always said that when this topic of rating schools on their graduation rate came up. Ultimately, it's a number that any school can tinker with and by having ciriculum that is easy to graduate in then the number is just one more meaningless bit of data. While you may very well see schools make vast improvements in this area, it's more than likely not going to be reflective of student athletes all of a sudden buckling down and putting more time in school - just doing a better job of picking the easy courses.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 20th, 2006, 01:44 PM
In some cases - if a student athlete can't graduate majoring in General Studies.....

Baldy
January 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Great numbers for Coastal for sure, but don't forget the 92% you are referring doesn't include football.

The Gadfly
January 20th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Great numbers for Coastal for sure, but don't forget the 92% you are referring doesn't include football.

Knowing that our baseball team is our "not-so-bright-academic-anchor," I can't see football knocking us down much lower. That is IF you can proove that our football team wasn't included in the rating. Until then...

colgate13
January 20th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Define graduation rate. 4 years? 5 years? 6 years?

86% in four years, 90% in five.

SoCon48
January 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Knowing that our baseball team is our "not-so-bright-academic-anchor," I can't see football knocking us down much lower. That is IF you can proove that our football team wasn't included in the rating. Until then...
Look at the years included in the study. Did Coastal have a team all those years??????

SoCon48
January 20th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Most schools football has the worst grad rate. Some exceptions.

SoCon48
January 20th, 2006, 03:32 PM

The study is based on the 1998-99 freshmen cohort. Did CCU have football in the 1998-99 academic year???
Don't think so.
Most schools, football is the worst graduation rate, with a few exceptions and a few messed up basketball years.

Baldy
January 20th, 2006, 03:40 PM
JCline is correct. The study started in 1998, CCU didn't start football until much later.

You would be suprised how far football would knock you down. Do you realize how many kids come in and go in a 5 year span?

bostonspider
January 20th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Richmond's numbers are pretty good, 97% for the whole athletic department and 98% for the Football team. And at only 2800 undergrads there are not a lot of departments or classes to hide the dummies in. Interestingly, the men's numbers are better at 98% than the women at 96%.

SoCon48
January 20th, 2006, 05:08 PM
JCline is correct. The study started in 1998, CCU didn't start football until much later.

You would be suprised how far football would knock you down. Do you realize how many kids come in and go in a 5 year span?
Attrition and transfers have to be worse than any other sport.

hapapp
January 20th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I think everyone would like to approach 100% but I don't think you can always make a fair comparison just by looking at the numbers. The University of Richmond at 98% is very good when you consider the quality of the school. Another Virginia institution, Radford, had a 100% accounting. I don't mean to dismiss this accomplishment because it means that Highlander athletes were working in the classroom, but Radford is no UR. By looking at the numbers alone, one might assume that the Radford athletes were better students than those at UR. I don't believe that for a moment.

spdram
January 21st, 2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the props hap, at Richmond the coaches are told only to recruit kids that can graduate and then we stay on them to do so. Athletes graduate at a higher rate than non-athletes. Constant supervision.

MarkCCU
January 21st, 2006, 07:52 PM
GADFLY!!! Haven't seen ya in a while there buddy...how is Cola treating you?