PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Week 1 picks

TheBisonator
August 26th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I don't think there's a thread for this, so I'll start.

Games we have:

Thursday:

Eastern Kentucky at Missouri State
Valparaiso at Western Illinois
Quincy at Southern Illinois
Central Missouri at Illinois State

Saturday:

Youngstown State at Penn State
St. Joseph's (IN) at Indiana State
North Dakota State at Kansas

TheBisonator
August 26th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Here's my picks:

Missouri State in a close barnburner
Western Illinois by A LOT
Southern Illinois by A LOT
Illinois State by a TD (This game scares me, as we will not hear the end of it from the MIAA rubes over on the DII messageboard if UCM wins. I can hear it now. "We're just as good as the best in FCS!!! MIAA pwns the MVFC!!!!" - puke)
Penn State by A LOT
Indiana State wins, BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO. THEY JUST HAVE TO.
Kansas by 2 TDs.

darell1976
August 26th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Missouri State 31-17
W. Illinois 35-10
S. Illinois 48-7
Illinois St. 24-23
Penn St. 56-10
Indiana St. 35-17
Kansas 49-20

Twentysix
August 26th, 2010, 05:53 PM

Honestly I believe NDSU has a shot at kansas because of when the game is happening, too bad we weren't better last year or this might not be on a worst game list.

The MVFC needs to win its OOC games.

TheBisonator
August 26th, 2010, 06:53 PM

Honestly I believe NDSU has a shot at kansas because of when the game is happening, too bad we weren't better last year or this might not be on a worst game list.

Are you sure you want to pick Valpo?? I mean yeah, it's WIU, but still...

SO ILLmatic
August 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM
EKU
WIU
SIU
IL State
Penn St
Ind State
Kansas

Jacked_Rabbit
August 26th, 2010, 07:34 PM
MSU over EKU 24-20 *Defensive battle?
WIU over Valpo 45-2 *Valpo may be the worst team in the Nation
SIU over Quincy 66-3 *SIU will have backups in by half time
Ill.St. over C.Mizzou 34-14 *ISU is suppossed to be the real deal this year, right?
Penn St. over YSU 45-6 *Hope YSU can hang in there for a while
Ind.St. over St.Joe 20-14 *ISU should be better again this year
KU over NDSU 52-13 *Too much offense vs. young NDSU team

PantherRob82
August 26th, 2010, 07:41 PM

Games we have:

Thursday:

Saturday:

No big surprises.

Sycamore51
August 27th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Here it is:
EKU by 10
WIU by 17
SIU by 40+
Ill St by 30+
Penn St by 30+
Trees by 17
KU by 17

RabidRabbit
August 27th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Here it is:
EKU by 10
WIU by 17
SIU by 40+
Ill St by 30+
Penn St by 30+
Trees by 17
KU by 17

xbowxxbowx This Tree picks like this Rabbit. xthumbsupx I'll second these selections.

leatherneck177
August 27th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Games we have:

Thursday:

Eastern Kentucky at Missouri State Bears by 17.
Valparaiso at Western Illinois Necks by 24
Quincy at Southern Illinois Salukis by 40.
Central Missouri at Illinois State ISU in close one.

Saturday:

Youngstown State at Penn State Penn State by 24
St. Joseph's (IN) at Indiana State Trees by 3
North Dakota State at Kansas Jayhawks by 7.

Bam
August 27th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Games we have:

Thursday:

Eastern Kentucky at Missouri State Bears by 17.
Valparaiso at Western Illinois Necks by 24
Quincy at Southern Illinois Salukis by 40.
Central Missouri at Illinois State ISU in close one.

Saturday:

Youngstown State at Penn State Penn State by 24
St. Joseph's (IN) at Indiana State Trees by 3
North Dakota State at Kansas Jayhawks by 7.

Ouch, EKU a 17 point dog?

MplsBison
August 27th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Eastern Kentucky
Western Ill
Southern Ill
Ill State
Penn State
St Joes
NDSU

ValleyChamp
August 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM

Games we have:

Thursday:

Saturday:

As I have typed it, it will be so.

MSUDuo
August 27th, 2010, 02:59 PM

MSUDuo
August 27th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Ouch, EKU a 17 point dog?

From what you guys have told us on our board, I don't think you are going to have enough offense to keep it close.

SO ILLmatic
August 27th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Duo,
care to share why you picked St. Joseph's over the Sycamores?

Twentysix
August 27th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I honestly know nothing about Valpo other than that WIU was horrendous last year.

I dont think Valpo plays scholly football but im not sure. Actually i just looked at there scores last year I reverse my decision.

Heck maybe they will clone Jay Harris and he will play all 33 positions. Might make a crappy lineman but his basketball skills will translate into some positions. heh

Jacked_Rabbit
August 27th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Hey 2six, Valpo came to Brookings to play us during our transition (2005 season, I believe), and I can honestly say that they were the worst team - BY FAR - that I've ever seen on a college football field. That includes our D2 days...

Twentysix
August 28th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Hey 2six, Valpo came to Brookings to play us during our transition (2005 season, I believe), and I can honestly say that they were the worst team - BY FAR - that I've ever seen on a college football field. That includes our D2 days...

Good to know. I reaffirm cloning jay harris as there solution.

I guess i cant rep you, apparently your the last person i repped.

Jacked_Rabbit
August 28th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Good to know. I reaffirm cloning jay harris as there solution.

I guess i cant rep you, apparently your the last person i repped.

Good idea... Maybe Bryce Drew has some offspring coming down the pipeline too!!

Western_101
August 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I honestly know nothing about Valpo other than that WIU was horrendous last year.

I dont think Valpo plays scholly football but im not sure. Actually i just looked at there scores last year I reverse my decision.

Heck maybe they will clone Jay Harris and he will play all 33 positions. Might make a crappy lineman but his basketball skills will translate into some positions. heh

Western was bad last year, if I remember correctly the outcome of the NDSU vs. WIU game was in doubt almost the entire game, before NDSU squeaked it out.

Twentysix
August 28th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Western was bad last year, if I remember correctly the outcome of the NDSU vs. WIU game was in doubt almost the entire game, before NDSU squeaked it out.

And NDSU was pretty bad by NDSU standards.

But NDSU beat the 2 teams that were worse in head to head so.....yeah.

MSUDuo
August 28th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Duo,
care to share why you picked St. Joseph's over the Sycamores?

Honestly, just no faith what so ever. For their sake I hope they win both games against the NAIA just for some pride but after last year, who the heck knows.

Western_101
August 29th, 2010, 01:10 AM
And NDSU was pretty bad by NDSU standards.

But NDSU beat the 2 teams that were worse in head to head so.....yeah.

Here is the way I see it. WIU was the most wretched *** club due to more facters than I know or even the ones that I do know anybody cares about.

NDSU was a touchdown away in 2009 to matching WIU's record, except our wins would be NDSU and SHSU, yours would be INSU and Wagner.

NDSU's program really has declined.

Houndawg
August 29th, 2010, 11:47 AM
They've declined some, but the competition is also a lot tougher than they've had. I think too many people put huge expectations on them after they dominated a weaker league.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Here is the way I see it. WIU was the most wretched *** club due to more facters than I know or even the ones that I do know anybody cares about.

NDSU was a touchdown away in 2009 to matching WIU's record, except our wins would be NDSU and SHSU, yours would be INSU and Wagner.

NDSU's program really has declined.

I think most NDSU fans who've been watching the program for a while would agree that the current program is merely a shadow of the program that utterly dominated DII from 1981-1990.

I don't think that kind of domination is possible that the FCS level (not long term like that).

But I do, and I think most other NDSU fans as well, have the expectation that the program needs to get to the level where it's in the hunt for the MVFC title every season and getting a playoff birth almost every season. Facilities wise, budget wise, attendance wise, etc. it's already that kind of program in the FCS. Now it's waiting for the wins to come. They will.

Twentysix
August 29th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Maybe im drawing at straws here but We did share 9 opponents.

WIU overall score v opponents
154-304

NDSU overall score v opponents
321-315

Might of added wrong idk.

BearsCountry
August 29th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Should be a good opening week for the Valley. I expect wins for everybody but Youngstown & NDSU.

Khan4Cats
August 30th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Should be a good opening week for the Valley. I expect wins for everybody but Youngstown & NDSU.

I agree.

The three Illinois schools should be able to win convincingly (especially if the Redbirds are going to be as good as predicted), Indiana State will show whether they are improved are not with what should be a winnable game and Missouri State will give a good preview of whether they can become a factor against a solid Eastern Kentucky program.

Youngstown State should be pounded by Penn State, though they played at Happy Valley a few years ago, so there might not be those jitters-just not the same talent level to compete.

North Dakota State can show a lot as well, playing a regrouping Kansas ballclub. If the Bison can get back to their traditional power football style, they could keep it close. The question will be: what happens in Bisonville if the game gets out of hand?

LakesBison
August 30th, 2010, 10:14 AM
The question will be: what happens in Bisonville if the game gets out of hand?

We go on a MASSIVE week-long bender that ends at the UNI-DUMP with our 1st home game of the season!

Iwuvdatrees
August 30th, 2010, 11:14 AM
EKU by 10
WIU by 17
SIU by 40+
Ill St by 30+
Penn St by 30+
Trees by 30 I really would hope people who picked against have taken a look at our roster lol
KU by 22

forumcrew
August 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Bison lose by atleast 3 scores.

johnson
August 30th, 2010, 06:00 PM
North Dakota State can show a lot as well, playing a regrouping Kansas ballclub. If the Bison can get back to their traditional power football style, they could keep it close. The question will be: what happens in Bisonville if the game gets out of hand?
I think the reactor will start to over heat and depending on the outcome of the UNI game it could start to melt down.

Houndawg
August 30th, 2010, 06:17 PM
UNI is a tough nut for an inexperienced defense that early in the season, get ready to flood the reactor.

JBB
August 30th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Our defense isnt inexperienced. It has some new young players but there is good upper class leadership. The reactor will run just fine. Kansas by 4.

UNIFanSince1983
August 30th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I think Kansas is going to be pretty tough this year. I am not sure how much of a chance NDSU has, and that is not meant to be a sleight on NDSU. Now they won't compete with Missouri or Nebraska for the North title they will be tough. Just look what Turner Gill did at Buffalo and it was nothing short of amazing. Not too many years ago we have to remember that Kansas was in the Orange Bowl. Now on to my picks.

MSU
WIU
IlSU
SIU
JoePaU
InSU
Kansas

But you know the first week is normally a wildcard because you aren't quite sure what teams really have. You may have an okay idea, but never really know until they get on the field.

JBB
August 30th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I think you made a good call on Kansas UNIfansince83. Its no slight at all. Only an insider could pick it by 4, or a homer like me.

The BISON have always had the talent. They did have one of the nations best offenses and #2 in the MVFC last season. I expect it will be just as potent.

The defense has to improve. There was a bad element on the team last year. The defense suffered moral wise because of that. There was also some problems with harmony on the coaching staff. All of that has apparently been changed and there are some very good defense players on this years team that werent there last year. An improvement here is essential. Without it they have very little chance of success.

JBB
August 30th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Ive already picked Kansas over NDSU by a slim margin.

The rest of the games:

Thursday:

Eastern Kentucky at Missouri State - Eastern Ketucky
Valparaiso at Western Illinois - Western Illinois
Quincy at Southern Illinois - Southern Illinois
Central Missouri at Illinois State - Illinois State

Saturday:

Youngstown State at Penn State - Penn State This is going to be my favorite game from the list. I wish the Penguins the best of luck. Beat Penn State.
St. Joseph's (IN) at Indiana State - Indiana State

KSPanther
August 30th, 2010, 11:06 PM
The Bison will lose by 21 at KU and the Panthers will handle the Bison in the Dome of Doom by 17!
The question will be: what happens in Bisonville if the game gets out of hand?

We go on a MASSIVE week-long bender that ends at the UNI-DUMP with our 1st home game of the season!

Houndawg
August 31st, 2010, 08:34 AM
I think you made a good call on Kansas UNIfansince83. Its no slight at all. Only an insider could pick it by 4, or a homer like me.

The BISON have always had the talent. They did have one of the nations best offenses and #2 in the MVFC last season. I expect it will be just as potent.

The defense has to improve. There was a bad element on the team last year. The defense suffered moral wise because of that. There was also some problems with harmony on the coaching staff. All of that has apparently been changed and there are some very good defense players on this years team that werent there last year. An improvement here is essential. Without it they have very little chance of success.

One of the nation's best offenses? You're crossing the line between homer and deluded, JB. You had a very good o-line and very little else. That may be different this year, we'll see, and the "bad element" that caused your defense to suffer morale-wise was a glaring lack of speed that surely was your first priority in recruiting for this year.

darell1976
August 31st, 2010, 08:39 AM
NDSU was #17 in total Offense in the FCS with 400.09 yds a game that would be #61 in the NCAA. #28 in Scoring Offense in the FCS and #73 in the NCAA http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/ncaa-m-footbl-stats-index.html

JBB
August 31st, 2010, 11:31 AM
One of the nation's best offenses? You're crossing the line between homer and deluded, JB. You had a very good o-line and very little else. That may be different this year, we'll see, and the "bad element" that caused your defense to suffer morale-wise was a glaring lack of speed that surely was your first priority in recruiting for this year.

I guess all it takes is a good line to be the #2 offense in the MVFC? You can discount those numbers all you want but I stand by my feeling that NDSU will be every bit as good on offense as they were last year. What we may lose in rushing we will get back in improved passing.

Clearly we have to improve on defense. If we dont its game over.

jayhawkdaddy
August 31st, 2010, 04:40 PM
Mizzou State wins a tough one over EKU 31-27
Western Illinois beats Valpo closely 28-26
Southern Illinois puts it on Quincy 63- 3
Illinois State has trouble with UCM but wins 35-30
Penn State clobbers YSU 45-17
Indiana State gets the win 35-25
Kansas will prevail over the youthful Bison 49-13

Twentysix...what you been smokin up there? Turner Gill will have everyone ready to play! Have you totally lost your mind?? LOL

jayhawkdaddy
August 31st, 2010, 04:46 PM
Our defense isnt inexperienced. It has some new young players but there is good upper class leadership. The reactor will run just fine. Kansas by 4.

JBB...I admire your confidence! You haven't a clue as to what lies in wait for you at KU! KU by 4 Pts??? Good Luck and keep the faith! Hope your defense isn't too inexperienced!!

Houndawg
August 31st, 2010, 04:47 PM
I guess all it takes is a good line to be the #2 offense in the MVFC? You can discount those numbers all you want but I stand by my feeling that NDSU will be every bit as good on offense as they were last year. What we may lose in rushing we will get back in improved passing.

Clearly we have to improve on defense. If we dont its game over.

Not discounting your numbers, and I only saw you play at SIU, but I was pretty surprised at how much trouble you had scoring considering how good your o line was. You had pretty good stats, some very good, with a few exceptions, against SIU, but only put up one offensive TD and a fluke score when you had an FG blocked. Salukis would have put up 500 ypg with that line. (BTW, an o line xfer from NDSU will probably be getting lots of playing time with the Dawgs this season, name is Danilkowicz).

JBB
August 31st, 2010, 08:34 PM
JBB...I admire your confidence! You haven't a clue as to what lies in wait for you at KU! KU by 4 Pts??? Good Luck and keep the faith! Hope your defense isn't too inexperienced!!

Thanks! Thats a best case scenario with all the breaks you know? Over on the Jayhawks board i gave a more probable 42-21 in a slew of 35-14 type guesses.

8 of our 11 defensive starters are JR’s or SR’s. We have 3 young guys: Jemison & Pierre, both great players in their second year. The redshirt freshman, NG Leevon Perry, beat out a SR because he’s great. He got Big 12 offers at 16 years old (Iowa State). NDSU has been recruiting him. Other schools lost interest due to grades. Levon got the grades back on track the other schools came back but he said he was sticking with the Herd.

johnson
August 31st, 2010, 08:36 PM
Not discounting your numbers, and I only saw you play at SIU, but I was pretty surprised at how much trouble you had scoring considering how good your o line was. You had pretty good stats, some very good, with a few exceptions, against SIU, but only put up one offensive TD and a fluke score when you had an FG blocked. Salukis would have put up 500 ypg with that line. (BTW, an o line xfer from NDSU will probably be getting lots of playing time with the Dawgs this season, name is Danilkowicz).
Well aware of who Danilkowicz is. He left NDSU because he wasn't going to see any playing time. Too many other guys in front of him. They even switched him from DL to OL trying to find him some time on the field. Good to hear he found someone who needed him.

mgbison
August 31st, 2010, 09:03 PM
MSU by 10
WIU by 40
SIU by whatever they want the score to be
ISU-R by 21
Penn State by 30
ISU-B better win or drop football
NDSU by 1 (KU had one good class and they graduated last year, back to reality for jayhawk footaball). I really do think we have a decent chance in this one. Without the green and gold kool-aid, KU by 3. With KU going to a more pro style offense, it plays to our advantage.

Our defense will definitely be improved this year (which isn't saying much). I wouldn't say speed was our defense's biggest problem, it was more of the scheme we were in. The d-coordinator we had last year had us playing man to man, which we obviously didn't have the speed to do. We've swithed back to the tampa 2 this year, which will make us look a lot faster. We only had 3 int's last year. It's not a stat you want to have on defense.

SIU only scored 24 points on our horrible defense. The 61 yard td pass was our true freshman corner blowing his coverage and the SIU receiver was open by about 15 yards. Your receiver didn't outrun anybody, he was just wide open due to the blown coverage (credit to the qb for seeing it and dumping it to him, it's something our offense couldn't do). Good teams take advantage of those situations.

I will agree that we definitely lacked speed at receiver, which should be improved this year.

skinny_uncle
September 1st, 2010, 05:48 AM
Thursday:

Saturday:

Home field advantage rules.

Redbird Ray
September 1st, 2010, 08:50 AM
Winners - SIU, ISU RED (we will win this game by at least 20+), ISU BLUE, WIU
Losers - YSU, NDSU
Tweener - MSU (I could see this game going either way)

Gil Dobie
September 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM
I see Kansas is picked 12 in the Big XII, hopefully NDSU can pull one out.

Houndawg
September 1st, 2010, 05:51 PM
MSU by 10
WIU by 40
SIU by whatever they want the score to be
ISU-R by 21
Penn State by 30
ISU-B better win or drop football
NDSU by 1 (KU had one good class and they graduated last year, back to reality for jayhawk footaball). I really do think we have a decent chance in this one. Without the green and gold kool-aid, KU by 3. With KU going to a more pro style offense, it plays to our advantage.

Our defense will definitely be improved this year (which isn't saying much). I wouldn't say speed was our defense's biggest problem, it was more of the scheme we were in. The d-coordinator we had last year had us playing man to man, which we obviously didn't have the speed to do. We've swithed back to the tampa 2 this year, which will make us look a lot faster. We only had 3 int's last year. It's not a stat you want to have on defense.

SIU only scored 24 points on our horrible defense. The 61 yard td pass was our true freshman corner blowing his coverage and the SIU receiver was open by about 15 yards. Your receiver didn't outrun anybody, he was just wide open due to the blown coverage (credit to the qb for seeing it and dumping it to him, it's something our offense couldn't do). Good teams take advantage of those situations.

I will agree that we definitely lacked speed at receiver, which should be improved this year.

With that line you guys should be scouring the South for a burner to play RB. Paschall was a very good back, but he pretty much ran where the blocking took him. Get a 4.4/4.5 guy back there and he could win the Payton.

johnson
September 1st, 2010, 08:43 PM
With that line you guys should be scouring the South for a burner to play RB. Paschall was a very good back, but he pretty much ran where the blocking took him. Get a 4.4/4.5 guy back there and he could win the Payton.

I have noticed year in and year out that when NDSU graduates a good RB everyone thinks their running game will take a step back. They always seem to be able to reload at that position every year. For example the past three starting RB's at NDSU have been Kyle Steffes, Tyler Roehl and Pat Paschall. Steffes went to the NY Jets, Roehl went to the Seahawks and Paschall went to the Patriots. Steffes graduated and Roehl was moved from the FB position to take over and a lot of people questioned how effective he would be. When Paschall was backing up Roehl I don't think anyone was completely comfortable with Paschall taking over. Now it's DJ McNorton's turn and he looks bigger and more confident than ever. Not only do teams have to deal with McNorton this year they have to be ready for Voigtlander as well. Throw in Mike Sigers who is very quick and you have another solid backfield for NDSU this year.

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2010, 12:10 AM
Leaving for KC in 5 hours. +++ Lets go bison!

udchuck
September 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
As far as Valpo is concerned,They have a New Head coach and new asst.coaches. The program should be better this year but still weak. they were terrible, but I'm sure it will take a few years to be competitive.

PantherRob82
September 2nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
Just a reminder, no matter how bad WIU is in the MVFC, Valpo still sucks.

JBB
September 2nd, 2010, 10:36 PM
Hey Hawndawg, McNorton is a 4.5 back. Last year he averaged 4.4/carry with 66 carries. He will fill the bill. In addition there are several very promising and talented running backs now studying at NDSU. DJ McNorton is the lead back.Hey

Western_101
September 3rd, 2010, 06:24 AM
Winners - SIU, ISU RED (we will win this game by at least 20+), ISU BLUE, WIU
Losers - YSU, NDSU
Tweener - MSU (I could see this game going either way)

ISU will win by at least 20+?

or 1,

ISU lets a DII team come to their house and rack up 54 points on them, Cripes.

mgbison
September 3rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
I've changed my thoughts on the redbirds after that performance last night. They finish 6th or 7th in the conference. How can you let a d2 come into your place and score 54 points. It was only 1 game, but people are gonna score points on them.

NDSU's beat writer has a good blog entry today. He talks about why NDSU is 3-3 vs FBS schools. Here's the link, http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/ .

SalukiJim
September 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM
I've changed my thoughts on the redbirds after that performance last night. They finish 6th or 7th in the conference. How can you let a d2 come into your place and score 54 points. It was only 1 game, but people are gonna score points on them.

NDSU's beat writer has a good blog entry today. He talks about why NDSU is 3-3 vs FBS schools. Here's the link, http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/ .

From today's Bloomington paper:

An offsides penalty on Central Missouri moved the football to the 1-yard line. It also moved Illinois State coach Brock Spack to change his mind.

Spack called a timeout, removed kicker Steven Fetzer from the field and made a game-changing decision.

Ashton Leggett bulled in for the two-point conversion with 2:22 remaining that lifted ISU to a frenzied 55-54 victory over the Division II Mules before a Hancock Stadium crowd of 4,042.

A) It took some guts to go for it trailing 54-53, but come on - needing an offsides penalty against a D2 team to help you win?
B) 4,042 - and Bloomington/Normal has a population near 100,000. Wow.xwhistlex

Redbird Ray
September 3rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
I'm glad the Salukies had a nice win over an NAIA school last night. Let me know when you guys beat someone my JV HS team couldn't beat. BTW, I guarantee the next home game at No Name Stadium has under 10K in attendance.

Oh, and the almighty Bison fanbase thinks we are overrated now? For a fanbase that does nothing but luad their domiant D2 triumphs from 20 years ago, you guys are pretty quick to dismiss that a D2 powerhouse might actually be able to compete with FCS teams. Make no mistake about it, UCM is a great D2 team that will be in the running for the D2 title and would beat half the teams in the MVFC this year. NDSU included!

ISU has to fix some things on defense pretty quickly, but we will. The Birds will be ready for conference play.

Also, Blo/No has a metro population of about 250K, to be fair. As for the attendance last night, it rained all freaking day and we were playing a D2 opponent on a Thursday night. I'm disappointed by the poor showing, but we should have a much better crowd for MSU after our guys pick up a couple road victories at Northwestern and SDSU!

THE HERD
September 3rd, 2010, 10:20 AM
From today's Bloomington paper:

An offsides penalty on Central Missouri moved the football to the 1-yard line. It also moved Illinois State coach Brock Spack to change his mind.

Spack called a timeout, removed kicker Steven Fetzer from the field and made a game-changing decision
Ashton Leggett bulled in for the two-point conversion with 2:22 remaining that lifted ISU to a frenzied 55-54 victory over the Division II Mules before a Hancock Stadium crowd of 4,042.

A) It took some guts to go for it trailing 54-53, but come on - needing an offsides penalty against a D2 team to help you win?
B) 4,042 - and Bloomington/Normal has a population near 100,000. Wow.xwhistlex

I agree wow! ISU was bieng talked up like a top three finisher or maybe a darkhorse to win the MVFC. You give up 54 to a D2 on your home field.....that shows some problems on the defensive side of the ball. I am sure they will improve as the season goes, but that is not just an off day...that shows some problems

SalukiJim
September 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
I'm glad the Salukies had a nice win over an NAIA school last night. Let me know when you guys beat someone my JV HS team couldn't beat. BTW, I guarantee the next home game at No Name Stadium has under 10K in attendance.

Oh, and the almighty Bison fanbase thinks we are overrated now? For a fanbase that does nothing but luad their domiant D2 triumphs from 20 years ago, you guys are pretty quick to dismiss that a D2 powerhouse might actually be able to compete with FCS teams. Make no mistake about it, UCM is a great D2 team that will be in the running for the D2 title and would beat half the teams in the MVFC this year. NDSU included!

ISU has to fix some things on defense pretty quickly, but we will. The Birds will be ready for conference play.

Also, Blo/No has a metro population of about 250K, to be fair. As for the attendance last night, it rained all freaking day and we were playing a D2 opponent on a Thursday night. I'm disappointed by the poor showing, but we should have a much better crowd for MSU after our guys pick up a couple road victories at Northwestern and SDSU!

As a St. Louisan I am well aware of CM's achievements in D2. And I don't like the "blood donor" games any more than anybody else, in fact we get to BE the donor next week when we come to Champaign. But it does say something when you don't get the job done very well against someone you should really dominate. Don't sound like old Rams coach Mike Martz - "shoot, we'll fix that" - once the season has started. I still think ISU will give us one HE-- of a game since our weakness appears to be in the depth of our secondary covering multiple-WR sets.

As far as attendance, we were also playing on a Thursday night, in a town of approx. 22,000...I doubt our attendance will be under 10K for the next game - since we're playing SEMO, which is both a good rivalry game and Cape Girardeau is only 45 minutes away. As far as "No Name" stadium, I kinda like it that way. We're not "Minute Maid Park" or anything like that, since about half of it was paid for by local taxes and donations. Now if some enterprising investor/alum wants to step forward (I'm talkin to YOU, mr. Dippin-Dots ice cream founder from SIU!), well, we'd gladly take his money.

I've been to Bloomington and that stadium is definitely next on the list for Illinois FCS schools needing a renovation. Good luck next week and we'll see you down the road.

mgbison
September 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Redbird Ray, you can rip on NDSU all you want. Yeah we were good in D2, and we will be good in FCS. We have the financial support, facilities, and fanbase. For as long as we've been in FCS, we are 3-3 vs FBS teams and had two 10-1 seasons. We were bad last year, but last year was the exception.

Seriously, 4,000 in attendance, sounds like a great home field advantage. At least when we play you guys, we know that the crowd won't be a factor.

UNI Pike
September 3rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Does sound like there was a nasty storm going on - 40+ mph wind plus hail in the area.

Redbird Ray
September 3rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
I've been about as big a defender of the NDSU program as there has been on this board. But the arrogance by the NDSU fanbase is a little over the top. You guys probably will have great success in FCS (and probably ultimately in FBS), but until that day comes, have fun in the Valley cellar with Indy State and YSU.

The NDSU game is our homecoming game. Provided there is not a **** near tornado like last night, we will have 15K in attendance, ready to unleash hell on Bisonation!!! :)

doinit salukistyle
September 3rd, 2010, 12:56 PM
Pretty uneventful week....with the exception of the birds almost losing. EESH...off sides on an extra point? They're going to be sick about that for a long time in Central Missouri.

JBB
September 3rd, 2010, 01:13 PM
I agree wow! ISU was bieng talked up like a top three finisher or maybe a darkhorse to win the MVFC. You give up 54 to a D2 on your home field.....that shows some problems on the defensive side of the ball. I am sure they will improve as the season goes, but that is not just an off day...that shows some problems

They scored 54 points and went for 2 to win. Doesnt get any better than that. They found a way to win on a bad day. Good quality for a football team to exhibit early in the season. Its going to come in handy.

If NSDU doesnt get its defense in order we will obviously have to score at least 55 to beat ISU. xnodx

NDB
September 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
. (BTW, an o line xfer from NDSU will probably be getting lots of playing time with the Dawgs this season, name is Danilkowicz).

You fools!

We infected Danilkowicz with coodies just before he left fargo!

Carbondale and the Salukis must be filled with 'em by now!!!

pather
September 3rd, 2010, 02:01 PM

You don't think SIU wouldn't have rolled UCM? You think a defense with 3 pre-season all MVFC picks and 2 pre-season all-americans would have allowed a d-2 team to score 50 points? 40 points? You talk about SIU's level of opponent, well its not as if ISU played a national title contender or an FBS team or even a mid-level FCS team. They barely beat a D-2 team. That doesn't bode well.

And even if SIU's attendance drops to half....that's double the attendance of ISU. Despite having a far smaller local population to draw from. But I am willing to bet that the likes of UNI and SDSU and such will draw some similarly large crowds as an NAIA school.....

If you want to pick on a school, try to avoid the one who has the second longest playoff appearance streak in the FCS while your own program has been floundering in mediocrity in the meantime.

MSUBear42
September 3rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
mvfc #5 > ovc #3, by the way...

SalukiJim
September 3rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
I will say, that if ISU (and MSU) can fling it around, that will give our defense a real test. Last night was a blowout for us but we might be a little exposed when it comes to covering 4- and 5-wide receiver sets...

MplsBison
September 3rd, 2010, 08:38 PM
Without knowing anything about the game other than score, it seems MSU had no problem with EKU tonight. Drats! MSU is the one team from the conference that I will pick to lose each week. I'll get it right eventually...

Redbird Ray
September 4th, 2010, 07:40 AM
You don't think SIU wouldn't have rolled UCM? You think a defense with 3 pre-season all MVFC picks and 2 pre-season all-americans would have allowed a d-2 team to score 50 points? 40 points? You talk about SIU's level of opponent, well its not as if ISU played a national title contender or an FBS team or even a mid-level FCS team. They barely beat a D-2 team. That doesn't bode well.

And even if SIU's attendance drops to half....that's double the attendance of ISU. Despite having a far smaller local population to draw from. But I am willing to bet that the likes of UNI and SDSU and such will draw some similarly large crowds as an NAIA school.....

If you want to pick on a school, try to avoid the one who has the second longest playoff appearance streak in the FCS while your own program has been floundering in mediocrity in the meantime.

I'm telling you, NO ONE in this conference would have rolled UCM this season. Their QB is unreal. Maybe SIU beats them much more comfortably than we did (10 -1 5 pts) but I can guarantee you that no one pulls a 70 - 7 on them. ISU should not have surrendered 54, and we have some things to work out on D, quickly.

That said, we also put 55 pts on the board. Depending on how good EKU will be this year, I would say at 0737 CST right now, ISU has played the toughest opponent of any team in conference so far (yes, I know this will change in a few hours), and yet we were still able to win the game and put up 55. Our D may have some work to do, but we're going to score some points. We'll see if you kids can keep up.

Houndawg
September 4th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Hey Hawndawg, McNorton is a 4.5 back. Last year he averaged 4.4/carry with 66 carries. He will fill the bill. In addition there are several very promising and talented running backs now studying at NDSU. DJ McNorton is the lead back.Hey

No way McNorton is 4.5. I saw him and PP last year, PP was faster and he was only a 4.6.xcoffeex

jmc_jackrabbit
September 4th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I can't draw any conclusions about ISU based on this game, other than the fact that they can score. And we already knew that. I still expect a very tough game in Brookings in a couple of weeks.

My question is: Why would any MVFC team play down to D2 or NAIA? We're surrounded by D2 programs up here but haven't had a non-FCS (or FBS) game in years. There's no reward if you win. And if you lose, it's a double-hit on your playoff chances. If ISU finishes well their playoff hopes could well be damaged by a 2-point win against a D2 team. Somebody else with 7 FCS wins who slaughtered some D2 team or lost to an FCS team in their opener will get the bid. That's not good for the MVFC. Who was this game good for, other than Central Missouri?

Do I wish we weren't starting on the road at Delaware? Yes. It's a gamble. But a win would be a huge deal, and our team will be tougher for having played that game regardless of the outcome.

Houndawg
September 4th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I'm telling you, NO ONE in this conference would have rolled UCM this season. Their QB is unreal. Maybe SIU beats them much more comfortably than we did (10 -1 5 pts) but I can guarantee you that no one pulls a 70 - 7 on them. ISU should not have surrendered 54, and we have some things to work out on D, quickly.

That said, we also put 55 pts on the board. Depending on how good EKU will be this year, I would say at 0737 CST right now, ISU has played the toughest opponent of any team in conference so far (yes, I know this will change in a few hours), and yet we were still able to win the game and put up 55. Our D may have some work to do, but we're going to score some points. We'll see if you kids can keep up.

Ray, I picked ISU as the upset winner of the MVC this year, and I picked them to knock us off at their place this year, but jesus, Ray, 54 pts? I don't care if Joe Montana was their QB, the fact that he had time to throw and his receivers were open.......

MSUDuo
September 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM

UCM won't finish above 3rd or 4th in the MIAA this year. They are a decent team but nothing special. Either a) you guys didn't show up for one game against a D2 team or b) you are not as good as every thinks.

Depending on what YSU and NDSU do against their FBS teams, MSU may walk away with the most impressive outcome of the first weekend.

RabidRabbit
September 5th, 2010, 12:05 AM
NDSU's 6-3 win over KU is the most impressive win. That's a great DEFENSIVE win. Offense will need to improve for the Bison.

Twentysix
September 5th, 2010, 01:13 AM

I havent looked at the ISU blue score, but im assuming i batted 1.0000 this week woot :)

UNIFanSince1983
September 5th, 2010, 01:27 AM
ISU Blue won 57-7...

Twentysix
September 5th, 2010, 01:30 AM
ISU Blue won 57-7...

Well i believe that makes the MVFC the best conference after week one, D2 and NAIA schools counting i guess...God i hope the bison never play a D2 team in football again.:pumpuke:

Just counting W and L's

Redbird Ray
September 5th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Well, so much for anything I have to say about UCM. Congrats Bison on representing the Valley proud this weekend! As for anything with ISU, we'll see how things go as the season unfolds. Don't get me started with our AD on soft scheduling (football or basketball).

Congrats Bison once again! I am now definitely attending the ISU/NDSU game in Normal to see how our guys stack up against a team who took down a Big 12 team this year!

Houndawg
September 6th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Well, so much for anything I have to say about UCM. Congrats Bison on representing the Valley proud this weekend! As for anything with ISU, we'll see how things go as the season unfolds. Don't get me started with our AD on soft scheduling (football or basketball).

Congrats Bison once again! I am now definitely attending the ISU/NDSU game in Normal to see how our guys stack up against a team who took down a Big 12 team this year!

Well, you haven't said much except that they're good, which I would have guessed from the 547 yds. passing and 33 first downs. I'm curious as to how a team loaded to the teeth with Big 10 xfers lets any D2 QB have enough time to throw for 547 yds, and loses the TOP. I hope this was a fluke, well, actually, I don't, but it was sure as hell a surprise.