PDA

View Full Version : Will South Alabama ever officially be in FCS?

Franks Tanks
August 26th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I understand they are an all sport member of the Sun Belt and their football team will naturally join the conference as well. Their website says they will begin Sun Belt play in 2011. Am I right to infer they will move right to FBS in 2011?

GoAgs72
August 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I picked this up off the South Alabama forum a while back. It is a confusing situation but they don't count as a DI win this year but they do in 2011 and 2012. They are considered FCS in 2011 and 2012 and FBS in 2013.

http://usajaguars.com/documents/2010/6/30/scheduling_timeline.pdf

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2010, 12:25 PM
They have prolonged their entrance into football for APR reasons, amongst others. They really want to build up their football program and be competitive at the FBS level once they hit in 2013...

Of note, South Alabama has a club football team for which they apparently use as a JV vehicle for their varsity team, putting kids who are not immediately eligible into the club program...

StillGotIt
August 26th, 2010, 02:45 PM
They have prolonged their entrance into football for APR reasons, amongst others.

Our timeline is and has always been to play two non classified years (09,10) while our team is developed. Last year we played mostly 2 year schools since our team was mostly freshman and sophmores. This year we play all 4 year schools. Neither last year or this year will count as a W for any FCS school. Next year we will count as a FCS W for opponents, and we will play FCS and FBS teams. In 2012, as a requirement for FBS, we will play a mostly FBS schedule. I believe it will include many Sun Belt teams, but the schedule has not been officially released yet. The two years we compete at an FCS level (11 and 12) we will not be eligible for the playoffs due to the FCS requiring a two year minimun at that level before playoff eligibility.

The link provided by GoAgs72 was released when football was announceed. We haven't prolonged anything. To go from not having a team to FBS in 5 years is very aggressive. It is about as fast as you can possibly do it considering the requirements at each level. The advantage we have, as was mentioned before, is that we are already a member of an FBS conference. That will provide our "invitation" from an FBS conference, which is also a requirement by the FBS. The FBS also requires all teams play 8 or 9 FBS teams in the year before moving up. I anticipate the Sun Belt will work with us (like they did with WKU) to add us into the conference schedules in 2012.

Of note, South Alabama has a club football team for which they apparently use as a JV vehicle for their varsity team, putting kids who are not immediately eligible into the club program...

Pure Fiction. Our club team has no affiliation with our varsity.

Franks Tanks
August 26th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the info. Just make sure you crush Georgia State this year...those guys are annoying.

lionsrking2
August 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM

It may not have an official affiliation, but TT's point is that it is possible for ineligible players to participate on the club football team while working towards eligibility...I would be curious if there are any similarities in terms of offensive and defensive schemes and conditioning?

BamaJag13
August 26th, 2010, 04:56 PM
To my knowledge, there have only been two players from the club team on the varsity team, both walk-ons. I could be wrong, though.

aceinthehole
August 26th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Neither last year or this year will count as a W for any FCS school. Next year we will count as a FCS W for opponents, and we will play FCS and FBS teams. In 2012, as a requirement for FBS, we will play a mostly FBS schedule. I believe it will include many Sun Belt teams, but the schedule has not been officially released yet. The two years we compete at an FCS level (11 and 12) we will not be eligible for the playoffs due to the FCS requiring a two year minimun at that level before playoff eligibility.

I have a 2 quick questions:

1. How many schollys did/will South Alabama offer in 2009 & 2010 (unclassified), 2011 & 2012 (FCS), and 2013 & 2014 (FBS)?

2. In 2011 & 2012 when South Alabama is officially classified as an FCS program by the NCAA, will you be a "bowl counter" for FBS teams in those years?

BamaJag13
August 26th, 2010, 05:39 PM
1. We're currently in the 60-70 range and hope to be at 85 sometime in the next couple of years.

2. In 2012, we'll count toward bowl eligibility for FBS teams, but in 2011 we'll only count toward FCS postseason eligibility.

Bogus Megapardus
August 26th, 2010, 05:41 PM
1. We're currently in the 60-70 range and hope to be at 85 sometime in the next couple of years.

2. In 2012, we'll count toward bowl eligibility for FBS teams (if they beat us :) ), but in 2011 we'll only count toward FCS postseason eligibility.

Can you count for FCS post-season with more than 63 scholarship equivalencies?

BamaJag13
August 26th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Can you count for FCS post-season with more than 63 scholarship equivalencies?

Not sure. Our program timeline says that we'll count toward FCS postseason eligibility and have 85 on scholarship in 2011.

StillGotIt
August 26th, 2010, 06:12 PM
It may not have an official affiliation, but TT's point is that it is possible for ineligible players to participate on the club football team while working towards eligibility...I would be curious if there are any similarities in terms of offensive and defensive schemes and conditioning?

I guess you could assume that about any college that has a club team, but as far as I know, the only NQ's we've had are going the JC route. I also only know of one club player who walked on, but he isn't on the current roster.

aceinthehole
August 26th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Not sure. Our program timeline says that we'll count toward FCS postseason eligibility and have 85 on scholarship in 2011.

Thanks for the link!

Follow up question:

How can USA schedule 12 games in 2011 and 2012 if you are still classified as a FCS program in those seasons?

BamaJag13
August 26th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Another good question and another one I don't know the answer to. It may have something to do with the fact that we'll be transitioning to FBS, but I really don't know.

Franks Tanks
August 26th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the link!

Follow up question:

How can USA schedule 12 games in 2011 and 2012 if you are still classified as a FCS program in those seasons?

Since South Alabama isnt competing the FCS playoffs, they can kinda do their own thing I would believe. They can have more than 63 scholly's and play more games because the penalty for doing so is simply not being able to play in the playoffs.

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2010, 07:14 AM
The link provided by GoAgs72 was released when football was announceed. We haven't prolonged anything.

The schedule was prolonged to begin with as far as the 'developmental' stages...there was no other team that has done what you guys have.

The club team has no affiliation with the varsity. I'll give you that. It just ends up having a few of the ineligible people showing up there...

nwFL Griz
August 27th, 2010, 09:26 AM
The club team has no affiliation with the varsity. I'll give you that. It just ends up having a few of the ineligible people showing up there...

TT, how do you know that? Have you driven over to Mobile and witnessed the practices of both squads over a period of time to verify your claims? Or are you just spouting off?

centexguy
August 27th, 2010, 10:11 AM
TT, how do you know that? Have you driven over to Mobile and witnessed the practices of both squads over a period of time to verify your claims? Or are you just spouting off?

Is that a rhetorical question? xlolx

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2010, 12:14 PM

I've heard it directly from a primary source in the world of club football. I'll let you know in a few weeks when I go check out the USA club team in action...