PDA

View Full Version : LEHIGH QB LEAVES PROGRAM - JB CLARK

c15683
August 25th, 2010, 04:55 PM
“As a coaching staff, we felt it was important to share with the quarterbacks their status after the scrimmage so they know where they stood heading into the final week,” Coen explained. “JB was third as he was outperformed by the other two quarterbacks on Friday. Upon being told the news, JB has unfortunately decided that he would like to leave Lehigh and find an institution where he can be a starting quarterback.”

Coen then offered his thoughts on Clark’s departure, “While I am obviously disappointed in his decision, I will support JB because I think highly of him as a person. He’s a tremendous competitor and he wants to be out there playing on Saturday afternoons. I appreciate the hard work and dedication he has given to our football program and wish him nothing but success moving forward.”

Should be an interesting season!

Bogus Megapardus
August 25th, 2010, 05:13 PM
This is confirmed by the Easton Express-Times (http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehigh/index.ssf/2010/08/lehigh_university_senior_quart.html). Clark was the MVP of last year's Lafayette-Lehigh game.

heath
August 25th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Last scrimmage tonight for you guys,( I think the coaches already know) Lum should be the starter unless you want to go "wildcat" formation with Colvin. Good luck vs. Drake, might need extra QB's on roster with their DE going after that guy.

LEHIGH61
August 25th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I'm shocked! At least we got TWO STRAIGHT WINS OVER Lafayette with JB winning the MVP.

RichH2
August 25th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Sad day for a great kid. I trust Cecchini's call on qb having seen last scrimmage but tough to go into this season with a talented but inexperienced qb. Clark frustratingly inconsistent. He could be great one game and then the next week pathetic. He was great vs Lafayette but was benched earlier in the year for bad play. Lum came in and was worse.. Hopefully chris has a bigger upside with the new OC. Could be a very long year. Clark never seemed to regin the play he showed in his first yr.

LUHawker
August 25th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Stunned to read this but I thought Lum was the better choice for QB last year. I did figure he would be the starter, but third on the depth chart is a surprise. My guess is that Lum's better and sharper passing will fit better with Cecchini's passing game. WOW, what a way to kick it off!

RichH2
August 25th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I also thought Lum would win job last year. he has a much crisper delivery and stronger arm. His decision making last yr left much to be desired. Admire a kid's confidnece that he can complete every pass into double coverage. Not so much as it turned out. If cecchini can keep his decisions ltd early on and exploit hie running ability it could be OK. Tough haul for us thru early schedule particularly with a raw qb. Oh, boy!

Bogus Megapardus
August 25th, 2010, 06:09 PM
PL now is rife with first-year starters at QB. Only Colgate has QB experience; we don't know which direction Bucknell will go at this point. The conference really is up in the air this season and unexpected in-conference upsets are going to have everyone pulling their hair out.

EDIT - I notice that C.J. Hopson, who started for Bucknell last year and would have been a senior this year, is no longer listed on Bucknell's official roster. Apparently he has transferred. So that leaves only Greg Sullivan at Colgate.

Franks Tanks
August 25th, 2010, 06:52 PM
PL now is rife with first-year starters at QB. Only Colgate has QB experience; we don't know which direction Bucknell will go at this point. The conference really is up in the air this season and unexpected in-conference upsets are going to have everyone pulling their hair out.

EDIT - I notice that C.J. Hopson, who started for Bucknell last year and would have been a senior this year, is no longer listed on Bucknell's official roster. Apparently he has transferred. So that leaves only Greg Sullivan at Colgate.

Bucknell guys were saying Hopson was academically ineligible and transfered to Fairmont St. in WV.

ngineer
August 25th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Lum was in full control tonight for the scrimmage. Tremendous energy on both sides of the ball. Lum's throws were "on the money" and a few wr's opened some eyes with some nice catches in traffic. Colvin the backup, who also has a cannon on his shoulder.

Was impressed with Cecchini's approach on the field. Got in guys faces when they screwed up and appeared to get results. The former OC was very laid back and I think that attitude may have infiltrated the offensive mindset over the past few years. It appears that requiring people to produce to keep their jobs is working...how novel! Several others watching the scrimmage came away with the same impression..there was a higher level of intensity than in past camps.

Also appears to be alot of competition in RB and WR positions with a lot of depth. Barket and Campbell seem to be in tight competiton, but some good young talent in the soph and frosh class turned some heads. Besides Lum's frozen ropes, Preston Soeprasetyo was on the receiving end frequently and looked a play maker. Zurn turned in some nifty catches as well. Freshman Keith Sherman shows excellent explosiveness and Matt Fitz appears to be a 'jack of all trades' back lining up in slot and backfield. Colvin showed some good running as well. I would expect to see him and Lum on field at the same time this year.

No 'major' injuries so far beyond the expected 'dings' here and there. I think the team will respond well to Lum. He showed better tools last year, but his decision making was questionable. That experience seems to have helped by eliminating mental mistakes. Clark never progressed over his 3+ years. He is a great kid and too back he could not accept being a backup. Lehigh has had a few seniors over the years who lost their jobs or never made starter, but who were still there for the team and when the injury bug hit were ready to step in and lead. I'm surprised this close to graduation, he would transfer, because he certainly does not have a pro football future. I guess he'd have to go to a D2 school if he wanted to play this year. Very curious.

Defense also had some goo highlights, as well. Soph. Bryan Andrews turned in some fantastic plays including an int for a td. Soph O'Brien at safety looked good too, all meaing that there is some great depth in a secondary that should already be strong. DE Fllizak had some great rushes and his 'reach' at 6'7" can cause some major disruption. Soph Spadola at WR also showed some excellent speed.

Speed and size is something Lehigh as lacked over the years at WR. That appears to be changing. The main thing now is to achieve consistency. The team showed itself that it has the skills. It just needs to execute.

Franks Tanks
August 25th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Lum was in full control tonight for the scrimmage. Tremendous energy on both sides of the ball. Lum's throws were "on the money" and a few wr's opened some eyes with some nice catches in traffic. Colvin the backup, who also has a cannon on his shoulder.

Was impressed with Cecchini's approach on the field. Got in guys faces when they screwed up and appeared to get results. The former OC was very laid back and I think that attitude may have infiltrated the offensive mindset over the past few years. It appears that requiring people to produce to keep their jobs is working...how novel! Several others watching the scrimmage came away with the same impression..there was a higher level of intensity than in past camps.

Also appears to be alot of competition in RB and WR positions with a lot of depth. Barket and Campbell seem to be in tight competiton, but some good young talent in the soph and frosh class turned some heads. Besides Lum's frozen ropes, Preston Soeprasetyo was on the receiving end frequently and looked a play maker. Zurn turned in some nifty catches as well. Freshman Keith Sherman shows excellent explosiveness and Matt Fitz appears to be a 'jack of all trades' back lining up in slot and backfield. Colvin showed some good running as well. I would expect to see him and Lum on field at the same time this year.

No 'major' injuries so far beyond the expected 'dings' here and there. I think the team will respond well to Lum. He showed better tools last year, but his decision making was questionable. That experience seems to have helped by eliminating mental mistakes. Clark never progressed over his 3+ years. He is a great kid and too back he could not accept being a backup. Lehigh has had a few seniors over the years who lost their jobs or never made starter, but who were still there for the team and when the injury bug hit were ready to step in and lead. I'm surprised this close to graduation, he would transfer, because he certainly does not have a pro football future. I guess he'd have to go to a D2 school if he wanted to play this year. Very curious.
Defense also had some goo highlights, as well. Soph. Bryan Andrews turned in some fantastic plays including an int for a td. Soph O'Brien at safety looked good too, all meaing that there is some great depth in a secondary that should already be strong. DE Fllizak had some great rushes and his 'reach' at 6'7" can cause some major disruption. Soph Spadola at WR also showed some excellent speed.

Speed and size is something Lehigh as lacked over the years at WR. That appears to be changing. The main thing now is to achieve consistency. The team showed itself that it has the skills. It just needs to execute.

The D2 season starts in 3 days so Clark wont be playing anywhere this year. However, if he didnt play as a Freshman he could transfer to a D2, and still have 2 years left with his redshirt.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 25th, 2010, 11:51 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/08/fare-thee-well-jb.html

Fare thee well, J.B. Your determination to beat Lafayette twice - especially last year, in the improbable OT game - will not soon be forgotten.

RichH2
August 26th, 2010, 07:44 AM
He would not have to sit out transfering down but a bit late to play this year. I wish him the best of luck. Thanks for the update on last nite's scrimmage. Lum has all the tools. key is whether OC can keep him controlled. Last yr's experience may be helpful. He tried so hard to make every play that he screwed the pooch more often thn not. If C can harness all that talent O s/b Ok , will it be ready to face Nova, UNH and Harvard?

ngineer
August 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM
He would not have to sit out transfering down but a bit late to play this year. I wish him the best of luck. Thanks for the update on last nite's scrimmage. Lum has all the tools. key is whether OC can keep him controlled. Last yr's experience may be helpful. He tried so hard to make every play that he screwed the pooch more often thn not. If C can harness all that talent O s/b Ok , will it be ready to face Nova, UNH and Harvard?

Key there will be ability of OL to open the holes and give protection. They seemed to working on a lot of timing patterns with quick releases. I think the D will be very good. As a unit, may well be better than last year's. Just a matter of not staying on the field too long. One are of 'concer' may be the PK. Not impressive. Both Randazza and Peery made kicks from 35, but it appears that anything beyond 40 will be a stretch. I thought it was reported earlier that both had strengthened their legs. Didn't show last night. However, Punter Smith had a gorgeous hanger, and was solid last year. Return game looks very promising. I don't recall having as much speed as we do right now, ever, back there for KO or PR.

ngineer
August 26th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I'm pretty sure Clark did not play at all in a varsity game as a frosh. So, if that gives him two more years in D2, good for him. I question, though, the decision as he certainly is no pro material and being 9 months from getting a degree seems odd.

RichH2
August 26th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Does seem odd to me that playing ball for another yr or 2 somewhere else is worth passing on a LU degree. If he were a soph OK but he is a senior, a 9 months from graduating. Well we all get to pick our own priorities in life, I hope it works out for him wherever he goes.