PDA

View Full Version : Richmond Names Starting Quarterback to Open Season

seattlespider
August 24th, 2010, 03:25 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/rich/sports/m-footbl/auto_widephoto/5645036.jpeg

Congrats to Aaron Corp! Probably not a shock, but nice to see a decision has been made.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2010/aug/24/ur-names-corp-starting-quarterback-ar-470948/

University of Richmond coach Latrell Scott announced Tuesday that Aaron Corp, who transferred to UR from the University of Southern California in January, will open this season as the Spiders’ starting quarterback.

The Spiders open Sept. 4 at the University of Virginia.

Corp, a 6-3, 200-pound junior, competed during spring drills and through summer camp with John Laub, a 6-2, 214-pound sophomore. Eric Ward was Richmond’s quarterback each of the last four seasons.

"It was a tremendous competition, with both Aaron and John Laub playing extremely well in preseason camp," Scott said in a school release.

Corp, from Villa Park, Calif., was slated to be USC’s starter last August, then suffered a leg injury. Freshman Matt Barkley stepped in to lead the Trojans, and Corp looked for a high-quality academic school at which he could play immediately.

He became the highest profile transfer ever to join UR’s football program, though Scott chose not to name a starter until both players had an extended opportunity to win the job.

"Right from the first time I was in Coach Scott’s office, he said there were no guarantees," Corp said.

Franks Tanks
August 24th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Congrats to Aaron Corp! Probably not a shock, but nice to see a decision has been made.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2010/aug/24/ur-names-corp-starting-quarterback-ar-470948/

Any word if Laub will look to transfer? Tough break for him.

seattlespider
August 24th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Any word if Laub will look to transfer? Tough break for him.

Nothing yet, as this just broke. Hopefully he stays; he could certainly get PT this year. According to ESPN950, Coach Scott will talk about things tomorrow.

bjtheflamesfan
August 24th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Id hate to see Laub just walk away because if anything happens to Corp (God forbid considering what he went through last year) he is gonna need to be called upon to fill in

ur2k
August 24th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Nice to see a decision made official. Word is that Laub performed just as well as Corp in camp, but if you're Coach Scott - you have to start the USC transfer QB - how could you not? But if Corp doesn't perform up to expectations, I wouldn't be surprised to see Laub get a shot this year. He's a year behind Corp class-wise, so could start as a senior (unless he gets passed by Montel White - FR on the depth chart in the next 2+ years).

SpidersSportsEditor
August 24th, 2010, 04:05 PM
All I can say is it's about time. I think Coach Scott played this thing poorly. Corp was going to be the starter the whole time and covering that up with a bogus quarterback competition was a bad decision in my opinion. Would have rather seen him make a decision at the start of camp, get Corp all the reps with the first team and prove that he could make tough calls.

Did see Corp being photographed in uniform standing in front of the stadium by what I believe was a NY Times photographer yesterday, so this news was bound to come out today. I think he's the best choice, but I just hope he can win.

heath
August 24th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Very similar to the way the starter was named at the "Brown and White", can't always please everyone but the coaches have a gut feeling on whats best for the team. Personally, If the QB's are equal, go with the younger guy and build off of him. Will be there to watch the UVA game, good luck Spiders.

clearthinker
August 24th, 2010, 05:59 PM
All I can say is it's about time. I think Coach Scott played this thing poorly. Corp was going to be the starter the whole time and covering that up with a bogus quarterback competition was a bad decision in my opinion. Would have rather seen him make a decision at the start of camp, get Corp all the reps with the first team and prove that he could make tough calls.

Did see Corp being photographed in uniform standing in front of the stadium by what I believe was a NY Times photographer yesterday, so this news was bound to come out today. I think he's the best choice, but I just hope he can win.

GET READY====On October 9 in Durham, NH the Orange County, CA clash of the QB's will occur when the Orange Lutheran Lancer (Aaron Corp) takes the field for Richmond against the Mission Viejo Diablo (RJ Toman) for New Hampshire

Both kids come from great HS programs

paward
August 24th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Here is wishing both guys the best. Let the tradition continue!

DTSpider
August 24th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I actually think that Coach Scott played this fairly well. He really has shown that transfers do not have a free pass and are not assumed to be the starters. He made Corp really earn it, and I think that is important. You don't want to scare away HS QBs and rely solely on FBS transfers as it doesn't always work out. Especially this year since the o-line is probably going to struggle and we'll most likely need both guys.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 24th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I agree. I don't see issue with the way this was handled by Scott.

ElonPride
August 24th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Good news on the UR front......does anyone remember who broke the story of his transfer?:D

ThompsonThe
August 25th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Nothing yet, as this just broke. Hopefully he stays; he could certainly get PT this year. According to ESPN950, Coach Scott will talk about things tomorrow.

When you are playing a hard hitting schedule like Richmond does, the back up QB gets playing time a lot of times whether they expect it or not.