PDA

View Full Version : Former Houston Oiler HC Bum Phillips

bigred360
August 23rd, 2010, 01:14 PM
He played both football and basketball at Lamar.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082310aab.html

Go...gate
August 23rd, 2010, 02:12 PM
Always thought he was a good coach and a decent man.

Sly Fox
August 23rd, 2010, 03:08 PM
Bum is practically a saint here in Houston. And I'm fan of his sausage as well.

lionsrking2
August 23rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
And I'm fan of his sausage as well.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

DJOM
August 23rd, 2010, 03:54 PM
I always liked his philosophy towards football and life.

ngineer
August 23rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
I always liked his philosophy towards football and life.

Yes, he had his head screwed on right. I always enjoyed listening to him. One of his quotes, imo, is the best definition of what a good coach is:"He'll take his'n and beat your'n, then he can take your'n and beat his'n." At least that is the way I think it's spelled!

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
He played both football and basketball at Lamar.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082310aab.html

And played football in 1948 and 1949, while graduating from Stephen F. Austin...the Lumberjacks have claimed him forever. This is actually my first recollection of Lamar claiming Bum, but guess he was in your Hall of Honor. Is he going to be in the media guides too?

I think its like the Univ of Houston claiming SHSU's Dan Rather. Seen him shown in their media guides...but oddly enough, Dan never went to UH - just called their football games for a few years.

SFA 93
August 23rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
After the war he enrolled and played football at SFA, lettering in 1948 & 1949. He graduated from SFA in 1949 with a degree in education.

http://img.webpronews.com/webpronews/bum_phillips.jpg

Was elected to the SFA Lettermen's Association Hall of Fame in 1976.

SFA 93
August 23rd, 2010, 05:00 PM
Texas Terror you beat me to it. :)

SFA 93
August 23rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Other Notable SFA Alumni-

Kim Brimer (Texas State Senator, District 10)
Nelson Clyde III (Publisher of the Tyler Morning Telegraph)
Spike Dykes (Former head football coach for the Texas Tech Red Raiders)
Kevin Hannan (Ethnolinguist)
Will Jennings (Songwriter; Grammy Award Winner, Golden Globe Winner, Academy Award winner & Songwriters Hall of Fame; “Up Where We Belong” “Tears in Heaven” with Eric Clapton “My Heart Will Go On”)
Joseph W. Kennedy (Co-Discoverer of Plutonium)
Ronnie Laws (Musician, Member of Earth, Wind, and Fire)
Brad Maule (Actor, Daytime Emmy Award winner)
Drew Nixon (Republican State Senator)
Bill Owens (Republican Governor of Colorado)
Stephen Payne (International Relations and Energy Expert)
Bum Phillips (NFL Football Coach)
Don Henley (Musician, member of the Eagles)
Frank Melton (Chairman, CEO of TV-3 INC. Foundation; Former Mayor of Jackson, Mississippi)
Lance Hunter (Artist; Professor of Fine Arts at Northeastern State University
Shane Carruth (Filmmaker; Primer)
Brady Smith (Actor, CSI-Miami and ER)
Yvonne Gonzales (Opera Singer)
Kevin Mullally (Mission director for Rwanda, US Agency for International Development, U.S. State Dept.)
Nancy Dickey (President Texas A&M University Health Science Center; Past President of the American Medical Association (First woman to be elected AMA president)
Paul Beran (Chancellor, University of Arkansas – Forth Smith)
Janelle Ashley (President Worcester State College)
Charles Runnels (Chancellor Emeritus, Pepperdine University)
Joe May (Retired President, Colorado Community College System)
Jack Morton (Vice Chancellor, University of North Texas System)
Greg Powell (President of Panola College)
Vance Gipson (President of Odessa College)
Miles McCall (President of Lon Morris College)
James S. Cole (Dean of Baylor College of Dentistry)
Mike Moses (Former Superintendent of Dallas ISD; Former Texas Commissioner of Education)
Don Gaston (Former General Manager of the Boston Celtics)
General O.R. “Cotton” Whiddon (Lieutenant General, U.S. Army retired)
Dee Ann McWilliams (Major General, U.S. Army)
Monte Moses (2005 National Superintendent of the Year)
Michael Easley (President, Moody Bible Institute)
Kelvin Davis (CNN News Executive)
Bob Murphey (Texas Humorist; Mark Twain Award Recipient from International Platform Assoc.; Texas Monthly’s “Texas Best Good Old Boy”
Brad Roll (NFL Strength & Conditioning coach, Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, 3 NCAA National Championship Rings)
Susan Gwin (Executive Director, Cushman & Wakefield of Texas; Former Senior Vice President with Roger Staubach Company)
Ellen Melton (Pediatrician)
Deana Bolton Covin (Former Director, Kilgore College Rangerettes)
Ron Lewis (Former Texas State Representative; Library at Lamar State Orange names in his honor)
Roy Blake Jr. (Former Texas State Representative)
Wayne Christian (Texas State Representative)
Michael Schneider (U.S. District Judge for Eastern District of Texas)
Rosie Walker Montgomery (Member of the National Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame)
Nell Fortner (Head Coach, women’s basketball at Auburn University; Former Head Coach of USA Basketball; Led Team USA to a Gold Medal in Summer 2000 Olympic Games.)
Kristy Sims Curry (Head Coach of Women’s Basketball, Texas Tech University, Former Head Coach of Women’s Basketball, Purdue & Duke University; 3 Big 10 Titles; 2000-01 Final Four Runner Up)
Dianne Baker (Former Head Coach softball, Texas Woman’s University; Led SFA softball team to 1985 NCAA National Championship Title.)
Jill Grove (Opera Singer)
Donnie Marshall (Former DEA Administrator)
John Dickson (Musician, Composer for Film/TV “Burn Notice”)
Steve Stagner (President, CEO of Mattress Firm)
Casey Coffman (Executive Vice President, Business Development and Operations for Madison Square Garden (MSG) Sports. MSG Sports owns and operates sports franchises, including the New York Knicks and the New York Rangers)
Rodney Crowell (Musician)
David Smoak (Radio and TV News Sports Caster; smoaky.com)

FormerPokeCenter
August 23rd, 2010, 06:18 PM
Well, to be fair, he played for Lamar when they were a junior college....so he had to go elsewhere to finish up...I remember reading a story about him in the Beaumont Enterprise when I was a kid (The Enterprise used to have a SWLA edition that went head to head with the Lake Charles American Press) and it it told about how he worked and sharecropped, growing rice, until he could save enough money to go to Lamar....

That story always impressed the hell out of me...

Sly Fox
August 23rd, 2010, 10:48 PM
He still ranches down near Goliad, Texas. And he even had to put his blood-curdling hate of the Cowboys on hold when Wade took the job up there.

If you want to get an old Oilers fan in a rage, just ask him about how Bud Adams ran off the greatest coach in Houston's history. It still makes blood boil here.

bigred360
August 24th, 2010, 06:19 AM
And played football in 1948 and 1949, while graduating from Stephen F. Austin...the Lumberjacks have claimed him forever. This is actually my first recollection of Lamar claiming Bum, but guess he was in your Hall of Honor. Is he going to be in the media guides too?

I think its like the Univ of Houston claiming SHSU's Dan Rather. Seen him shown in their media guides...but oddly enough, Dan never went to UH - just called their football games for a few years.

Always find a way to spin things into a negative for Lamar, right? I think the article states all the facts and like another poster stated he had to leave after obtaining his degree from Lamar JC. Lamar wasn't a four year school at the time.

TexasTerror
August 24th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Always find a way to spin things into a negative for Lamar, right? I think the article states all the facts and like another poster stated he had to leave after obtaining his degree from Lamar JC. Lamar wasn't a four year school at the time.

Not spinning anything negatively...

It's just odd to me when multiple schools claim a certain individual (i.e. Dan Rather reference). This is the first I've heard of Lamar "claiming" Bum and their claim is justified since he played JC football in Beaumont when you guys were a two-year school. SFA is the one who has been touting Bum as one of their own for years...

FormerPokeCenter
August 24th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Not spinning anything negatively...

It's just odd to me when multiple schools claim a certain individual (i.e. Dan Rather reference). This is the first I've heard of Lamar "claiming" Bum and their claim is justified since he played JC football in Beaumont when you guys were a two-year school. SFA is the one who has been touting Bum as one of their own for years...

It's a matter of perspective. I'd never heard of the SFA angle until seeing this thread.....I remember reading the Beaumont Enterprise story from the late 1970's about how he farmed for a couple of years until he could afford to go to Lamar....I never realized he went anywhere else...

SideLine Shooter
August 24th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Fine man.

McNeese75
August 24th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I just wish he had been able to "Kick" that door down in Pittsburg

Sly Fox
August 24th, 2010, 09:56 AM
It would have been laying on the floor if instant replay had been in effect.

Go...gate
August 24th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Other Notable SFA Alumni-

Kim Brimer (Texas State Senator, District 10)
Nelson Clyde III (Publisher of the Tyler Morning Telegraph)
Spike Dykes (Former head football coach for the Texas Tech Red Raiders)
Kevin Hannan (Ethnolinguist)
Will Jennings (Songwriter; Grammy Award Winner, Golden Globe Winner, Academy Award winner & Songwriters Hall of Fame; “Up Where We Belong” “Tears in Heaven” with Eric Clapton “My Heart Will Go On”)
Joseph W. Kennedy (Co-Discoverer of Plutonium)
Ronnie Laws (Musician, Member of Earth, Wind, and Fire)
Brad Maule (Actor, Daytime Emmy Award winner)
Drew Nixon (Republican State Senator)
Bill Owens (Republican Governor of Colorado)
Stephen Payne (International Relations and Energy Expert)
Bum Phillips (NFL Football Coach)
Don Henley (Musician, member of the Eagles)
Frank Melton (Chairman, CEO of TV-3 INC. Foundation; Former Mayor of Jackson, Mississippi)
Lance Hunter (Artist; Professor of Fine Arts at Northeastern State University
Shane Carruth (Filmmaker; Primer)
Brady Smith (Actor, CSI-Miami and ER)
Yvonne Gonzales (Opera Singer)
Kevin Mullally (Mission director for Rwanda, US Agency for International Development, U.S. State Dept.)
Nancy Dickey (President Texas A&M University Health Science Center; Past President of the American Medical Association (First woman to be elected AMA president)
Paul Beran (Chancellor, University of Arkansas – Forth Smith)
Janelle Ashley (President Worcester State College)
Charles Runnels (Chancellor Emeritus, Pepperdine University)
Joe May (Retired President, Colorado Community College System)
Jack Morton (Vice Chancellor, University of North Texas System)
Greg Powell (President of Panola College)
Vance Gipson (President of Odessa College)
Miles McCall (President of Lon Morris College)
James S. Cole (Dean of Baylor College of Dentistry)
Mike Moses (Former Superintendent of Dallas ISD; Former Texas Commissioner of Education)
Don Gaston (Former General Manager of the Boston Celtics)
General O.R. “Cotton” Whiddon (Lieutenant General, U.S. Army retired)
Dee Ann McWilliams (Major General, U.S. Army)
Monte Moses (2005 National Superintendent of the Year)
Michael Easley (President, Moody Bible Institute)
Kelvin Davis (CNN News Executive)
Bob Murphey (Texas Humorist; Mark Twain Award Recipient from International Platform Assoc.; Texas Monthly’s “Texas Best Good Old Boy”
Brad Roll (NFL Strength & Conditioning coach, Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, 3 NCAA National Championship Rings)
Susan Gwin (Executive Director, Cushman & Wakefield of Texas; Former Senior Vice President with Roger Staubach Company)
Ellen Melton (Pediatrician)
Deana Bolton Covin (Former Director, Kilgore College Rangerettes)
Ron Lewis (Former Texas State Representative; Library at Lamar State Orange names in his honor)
Roy Blake Jr. (Former Texas State Representative)
Wayne Christian (Texas State Representative)
Michael Schneider (U.S. District Judge for Eastern District of Texas)
Rosie Walker Montgomery (Member of the National Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame)
Nell Fortner (Head Coach, women’s basketball at Auburn University; Former Head Coach of USA Basketball; Led Team USA to a Gold Medal in Summer 2000 Olympic Games.)
Kristy Sims Curry (Head Coach of Women’s Basketball, Texas Tech University, Former Head Coach of Women’s Basketball, Purdue & Duke University; 3 Big 10 Titles; 2000-01 Final Four Runner Up)
Dianne Baker (Former Head Coach softball, Texas Woman’s University; Led SFA softball team to 1985 NCAA National Championship Title.)
Jill Grove (Opera Singer)
Donnie Marshall (Former DEA Administrator)
John Dickson (Musician, Composer for Film/TV “Burn Notice”)
Steve Stagner (President, CEO of Mattress Firm)
Casey Coffman (Executive Vice President, Business Development and Operations for Madison Square Garden (MSG) Sports. MSG Sports owns and operates sports franchises, including the New York Knicks and the New York Rangers)
Rodney Crowell (Musician)
David Smoak (Radio and TV News Sports Caster; smoaky.com)

Didn't Mark Moseley, the kicker for the Eagles, Oilers, Redskins (where he wsa 1982 NFL MVP) and Browns, also graduate from SFA?

SFA 93
August 24th, 2010, 06:19 PM
True on Mark Moseley. He transfered to SFA from Texas A&M. I didn't list any NFL football players. Moseley's jersey #10 is retired at SFA.

SFA 93
August 24th, 2010, 06:25 PM
SFA also retired Bum Phillips jersey #46 in 1982.

bigred360
August 24th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Alumni
Main article: Lamar University Alumni
The Alumni of Lamar University have gone on to distinguish themselves in every aspect of society. With over 70,000 alumni the school has a significant alumni base.

There have been several Cardinals go on to distinguish themselves nationally and internationally in sports such as PGA Tour golfer Chris Stroud, MLB player Kevin Millar and college coaches such as Billy Tubbs and Jim Gilligan.

In Business many cardinals have gone on to found companies and lead Fortune 500 companies. Dan F. Smith an engineering alumnus was CEO of Lyondell. Tom Giannopolous heads MICROS. Charles Garrett another engineering alumnus founded invented and is CEO of Garrett Metal Detectors, one of the worlds largest suppliers of security metal detectors.

In politics such leaders as Jack Brooks, Nick Lampson and Elvin Santos have gone on to be national politicians.

Kelly Asbury - Film Director, Screenwriter, Voice Actor, Children's Book Author/Illustrator, Non-Fiction Author
Bruce Aven - Retired Major League Baseball player
David J. Beck - Founding Partner, Beck, Redden & Sechrest, LLP
Ronnie Black - PGA Tour professional golfer
Jack Brooks - Politician, served more than 40 years in the U.S. House of Representatives
Keith Carter - Photographer
William C. Childs - Founder of Precision Tune
C.W. Conn - Founder of Conn's
Charles Cutler - Inventor of Model-based Multi-variable Process Control
Joe Domino - President of Entergy Texas
Phillip Drayer - DEO Kalydus Equity Research Partners, Entrepreneur, Philanthropist
Paul Fregia - President/CEO and Founder of Grandma Mauds, founding Executive Director, Tiger Woods Foundation
Jim Gilligan - One of the NCAA's most winning baseball coaches.
Johnny Fuller - Former defensive back, San Francisco 49ers
Charles Garrett - Inventor of metal detectors for security purposes as well as treasure hunters
Stephen Grace - President of H. S. Grace and Co., Inc.
Tom Giannopoulos - President and CEO MICROS
Clay Hensley - Pitcher, Houston Astros
Nick Lampson - Politician, served in the U.S. House of Representatives from two Texas districts
Wayne Moore -- Retired NFL player
Bill Macatee - TV Sports Announcer
Kevin Millar - MLB World Champion, Boston Red Sox
Colin Ridgeway - Former NFL player, first Australian to play in the NFL
Brian Sanches - Pitcher, Philadelphia Phillies
Elvin Santos - Former Vice President of Honduras
Eugene Seale - Former NFL player
Dan Smith (BS Chemical Engineering) - Former President & CEO Lyondell Chemical Company
Chris Stroud - PGA Tour professional golfer
Joe Tortorice - Founder, Jason's Deli and President of Deli Management, Inc.
Billy Tubbs - College Basketball Coach
Jen Wyatt - Canadian LPGA golfer
Clarence Kea - NBA player
Charles Holcomb - Texas Appeals Court Judge
Marie-Louise Hamrin - Olympian
Marvin Hayes - Artist
Jerry Wilkerson - Artist
Robert Nichols - Texas Politician
H. Palmer Hall - Writer
Claude H. Nash - CEO of Bloodstone Ventures, Researcher
Bob McDill - Singer Song Writer
Bum Phillips - Head coach and general manager of the Houston Oilers
Bonner Denton - Analytical Chemist, record holder World's Fastest Sports car
[edit] People Associated with Lamar
Al Vincent - Major League baseball coach
Ray Woodard - Head Football Coach, NFL Player
Gerald Duff, PhD - Novelist, Poet, and Professor of English

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_University

AxeEmJacks
August 26th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I came here to say what TexasTerror did. Bum was at SFA before anywhere else.

bigred360
August 27th, 2010, 02:16 PM
AxeEmJacks, sorry but history proves Bum Phillips was at Lamar long before he was at SFA.

bigred360
August 27th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Since Lamar was a junior college at the time Bum Phillip attended Lamar and obtain an associate's degree before moving on to SFA.