PDA

View Full Version : Cole driving TSU on road to relevancy

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2010, 08:11 AM
Nice write-up in the Chronicle about TSU...

As he enters his third season at TSU with an overall losing record (10-13), Cole is working on a new success. Turning around a program takes time, and although TSU hasn't turned, it is turning with Cole, a former TSU quarterback, at the wheel.

Cole has been on the positive end of enough resurrection projects that he needs a cool nickname like "Jumpstart 'em Johnnie."

The programs at Tennessee State and Alabama State, where he was offensive coordinator under his brother L.C., and Lane College, where he was the head coach, were near rock bottom when Cole stepped on campus, winners when he left.

TSU wasn't near rock bottom; it was a resident.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/7167162.html

Sly Fox
August 23rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Great seeing Jerome giving TSU some love in the fishwrap. There has to be a recruiting bump based on the promise of the stadium now that some bulldozers are moving dirt around the project.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 23rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
Great seeing Jerome giving TSU some love in the fishwrap. There has to be a recruiting bump based on the promise of the stadium now that some bulldozers are moving dirt around the project.

I think sharing a new stadium with a professional team will raise some eyebrows with local high school football players. Being that the stadium will seat 22K will make it even more enticing as it is not too big (Reliant Stadium around 75K) and not too small.

With us having our own colors and logos on the shared stadium will make us all (athletes and alumni) feel at home. xthumbsupx

mikebigg
August 23rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
I think sharing a new stadium with a professional team will raise some eyebrows with local high school football players. Being that the stadium will seat 22K will make it even more enticing as it is not too big (Reliant Stadium around 75K) and not too small.

With us having our own colors and logos on the shared stadium will make us all (athletes and alumni) feel at home. xthumbsupx

Kudos... gonna be nice having a consistent Houston venue when we come there every other year. Lots of Alum in the area. Personally, I'm glad to see TxSU on the rise since it's one of our home and home games.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 23rd, 2010, 11:22 AM
Kudos... gonna be nice having a consistent Houston venue when we come there every other year. Lots of Alum in the area. Personally, I'm glad to see TxSU on the rise since it's one of our home and home games.

Thanks MB. Yeah, it's been a long time coming and many alums can't wait.

mikebigg
August 23rd, 2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks MB. Yeah, it's been a long time coming and many alums can't wait.

I must admit that I'm a bit selfish... that's a nice road trip game for GSU Alums and mostly it's good recruiting territory. Having recruits see both of us play at that new facility will be good for both.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 23rd, 2010, 02:59 PM
Any word on a new scoreboard?

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2010, 04:55 PM
These are good days for TSU...

The new stadium will make TSU have the best facility in the SWAC and with the changes in the financial situation at TSU compared to the others, the Tigers will raise above the rest fiscally as well...

Facilities and finances = successful programs

Catmendue2
August 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
These are good days for TSU...

The new stadium will make TSU have the best facility in the SWAC and with the changes in the financial situation at TSU compared to the others, the Tigers will raise above the rest fiscally as well...

Facilities and finances = successful programs

Not true. The SWAC probably owns 4 of the best facilities in the FCS. Alcorn, BAMAm, UAPB, SU, JSU and Grambling are all nice. BAMAst and TSU are both getting new digs. SU, easily is the best facility in SWAC and on campus.

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Have you seen the pictures of what the new TSU stadium will look like? I've seen Southern's stadium in person and looked at pictures of the others. I have a hard time believing that TSU will not only have the best in the SWAC, but the best (if not top three in FCS)...

Catmendue2
August 24th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Have you seen the pictures of what the new TSU stadium will look like? I've seen Southern's stadium in person and looked at pictures of the others. I have a hard time believing that TSU will not only have the best in the SWAC, but the best (if not top three in FCS)...

SU and UAPB on-campus stadiums are the best that I saw and I have seen them all(SWAC)in person. The best would be JSU Memorial. Yes I saw it, looks just like every other soccer stadium in the USA.

Sly Fox
August 24th, 2010, 11:35 AM
UAPB's Crib (http://www.uapblionsroar.com/sports/2008/5/23/FB_0523081053.aspx?tab=facilities&path=football) ...

http://www.uapblionsroar.com/images/2008/5/23/large_Golden%20Lion%20Stadium.jpg

Uh, am I missing something? That's the best in the SWAC and the new palace in Downtown Houston doesn't measure up?

TexasTerror
August 24th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Uh, am I missing something? That's the best in the SWAC and the new palace in Downtown Houston doesn't measure up?

No joke! The press box facility does look nice...

txstatebobcat
August 24th, 2010, 06:18 PM
When TxSt played them last year I thought that TSU was extremely talented at the skill positions. The Lines (both offense and defense) needed a lot of work though.