PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern v. Georgia Southern

Eaglegus2
January 19th, 2006, 06:38 AM
I am hearing that Northestern wants to change the returning date from '06 to '07. Any Husky fans hearing the same?

Anyone know why NU is wanting the change in dates?

Bulldog1
January 19th, 2006, 08:17 AM
From what I've heard Northeastern has pulled out of the game with GSU for '06. This leaves 2 big holes in the schedule for Southern. Rumors have it that Southern may be scheduling a game with Central Connecticut State. This would probably be a give me for GSU, but won't help any with strength of schedule. Bethune Cookman is also rumored to be the other spot on the schedule.

No chance of getting into the good graces of the playoff selection committee with that type of scheduling. GSU needs to go after bigger fish.

blueballs
January 19th, 2006, 09:13 AM
From what I've heard Northeastern has pulled out of the game with GSU for '06. This leaves 2 big holes in the schedule for Southern. Rumors have it that Southern may be scheduling a game with Central Connecticut State. This would probably be a give me for GSU, but won't help any with strength of schedule. Bethune Cookman is also rumored to be the other spot on the schedule.

No chance of getting into the good graces of the playoff selection committee with that type of scheduling. GSU needs to go after bigger fish.

I agree with you on CCS, but not BCC. BCC is an established team from a playoff conference and a natural rival for GSU since we recruit many of the same players and areas. It will be a well attended game at either place as the campuses are about 240 miles apart.

The most obvious rival that we don't play is SC State. I really wish we would start that rivalry back.

EagleCrusade
January 19th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Yeah, I mean its not like we play in one of the top conferences of the country or anything like that.

JMU Duke Dog
January 19th, 2006, 09:37 AM

JMU perhaps?

Bulldog1
January 19th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog1

Yeah, I mean its not like we play in one of the top conferences of the country or anything like that.

Let's face it, the SoCon is not the powerhouse it once was! Additionally, the playing field within the conference is becoming more level each year and the selection committee is not going to take a team based on them being a SoCon member. We need to look outside for stronger I-AA teams to strengthen our non conference schedule.

The CCSU's and BCC's of the world are not going to help with strength of schedule for GSU! :deadhorse

pete4256
January 19th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Quote:

Let's face it, the SoCon is not the powerhouse it once was! Additionally, the playing field within the conference is becoming more level each year and the selection committee is not going to take a team based on them being a SoCon member. We need to look outside for stronger I-AA teams to strengthen our non conference schedule.

The CCSU's and BCC's of the world are not going to help with strength of schedule for GSU! :deadhorse

Why this "we" stuff? You've already made yourself out to be first and foremost a UGA fan, despite your Statesboro childhood.

And why has the bogus insider BS spewed from TSC onto AGS? I guess because Eagle22 killed it there.

BCC is a "stronger" I-AA team, whatever you say. Coach Wyatt has a respectable program. They're something of a former rival. I'm betting most Eagle fans would rather play them than an A-10 school (except maybe Delaware or JMU, and that's a maybe).

Are you known as, or have you ever been known as, JDawg or JDdawg?

Eaglegus2
January 19th, 2006, 11:05 AM
SoCon weak?

Ummmmmm.......must be someone who lost to a SoCon team.

Bullpuppy is pathetic in his knowledge concerning weak teams v. strong teams.

Eagle_77
January 19th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Quote:

The SoCon is not what it once was? The SoCon has had a memeber in the NC game in 10 out of the last 15 years. A memeber in the Simis 13 out of the last 15 years with 3 times have 2 teams in the simis in the same year. Yeah the SoCon is terrible. This year alone they finished with three teams in the Top 10. 6 out of the 8 SoCon teams were ranked in the top 25 at some point this year. The Socon had only 2 schools with losing records this year which compairs to the A-10's 4, BSC 3, Gateway 3, and Southland 4. The SoCon just cant hold the jocks of any other conference out there so GSU should scheduled the best of the best in non-conference teams to make up for such a crappy conference. :bang:

Bulldog1
January 19th, 2006, 12:14 PM
It's so funny how as soon as someone who says something that you don't agree with becomes either full of BS or ignorant.

I am not now, nor have ever been a UGA fan! I don't particularly dislike them, but couldn't care less about what they do or don't do. I lost respect for that University when what was said about Erk in 1989 and the job offer.

If you would step back and listen to what I did say - I simply said the SoCon is not the powerhouse it once was. When SoCon teams play other conferences, you don't have the blow outs you once had. The conference is still strong, it just does not dominate any longer. Yes we had 3 teams in this year, but only by the skin of our teeth. We are a balanced conference and we tend to knock each other off for playoff purposes. The strongest team does not always make it to the playoffs.

I won't debate my knowledge about team strength - take my opinion or not. It is simply that - my opinion. However, if you look at history within the conference there is not 1 team that dominates everyone else year in and year out like in the 80s.

I moved to this board because I am a football fan. I do have GSU ties, but that does not limit my interests to TSCSports only. I have found that there are a number of folks on TSC that like to spout off and act very immature. I don't have a problem with the administrators nor most of the users.

GSU Does need to look at playing strong I-AA teams or I-A teams to build their non-conference schedule. Like it or not. It's simply fact. Schools like CCSU and BCC (sorry to have to disagree with some of you) are not looked upon as STRONG. A win against them is expected, and a loss would be catastrophic. It all comes to scheduling and I don't think Baker is doing a good job of it!

Mr. Tiger
January 19th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Playing Bethune-Cookman or CCSU will not hurt Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern played Morehead State this year. And with an 8-3 record, still got to the playoffs. Unless I missed the memo, when has Morehead State (no smack intended) been considered strong. :eyebrow: A win against them is expected, and a loss would have been catastrophic.

mainejeff
January 19th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Man,. what's going on with Northeastern? They're dropping games left and right.

Bulldog1
January 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Tiger:
QUOTE]Playing Bethune-Cookman or CCSU will not hurt Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern played Morehead State this year. And with an 8-3 record, still got to the playoffs. Unless I missed the memo, when has Morehead State (no smack intended) been considered strong. A win against them is expected, and a loss would have been catastrophic.[/QUOTE]

We're saying the same thing. GSU was LUCKY to get into the playoffs this year with an 8-3 record (I believe the committee had GSU as the #13 team based on schedule, etc.). If you want to be considered one of the best, you've got to play the best. Go after the Bigger names in I-AA or a I-A school and stop playing against teams you feel you have a sure shot at winning. That doesn't help anybody in the long run.

Not trying to bad mouth anyone - but let's face it there are various caliber I-AA teams just like there are I-A teams. Go for the best and prove you should be in the National spotlight every year by beating those non-conference oppoenents.

I just feel the AD is doing the team a disservice with his choice of scheduling.

Eagle_77
January 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Last years schedule had one push over team in Moorehead St. Northeastern is not a power house by any means but they are not a push over and come from a very good A-10 conference. McNeese St is a team that usually puts a contender on the field every year. When this game was scheduled they where in the playoffs and NC game. Top that with our conference schedule and you have a pretty good schedule.

As for this years schedule you have no clue who is going to be on it because it has not been released. So how about take a look at it first before you go bad mouthing it.

ButlerGSU
January 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Anyone but Johnson C. Smith, what was that score again? 74-3?

GannonFan
January 19th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Man,. what's going on with Northeastern? They're dropping games left and right.

Maybe they realized that they had overscheduled on tough teams - they had an OOC slate of GSU, NW St, and Youngstown last year, with the last 2 on the road. I don't think anyone in IAA had a similar slate and then had to play in a conference like the A10. It was suicide and their record reflected it. This year they had GSU, NDSU, and Youngstown - again, crazy schedule.

I know that the rumor was that NU was asking out of the Youngstown game, but the rumor also was that GSU was asking out of their game - something about being the first game of the season and not wanting to throw the coach in the fire too early? Any verification of that? Anyone?

JMU Duke Dog
January 19th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Maybe they realized that they had overscheduled on tough teams - they had an OOC slate of GSU, NW St, and Youngstown last year, with the last 2 on the road. I don't think anyone in IAA had a similar slate and then had to play in a conference like the A10. It was suicide and their record reflected it. This year they had GSU, NDSU, and Youngstown - again, crazy schedule.

I know that the rumor was that NU was asking out of the Youngstown game, but the rumor also was that GSU was asking out of their game - something about being the first game of the season and not wanting to throw the coach in the fire too early? Any verification of that? Anyone?

Northeastern's 2006 schedule was looking like it was going to start as:

9/2 at Georgia Southern
9/9 at Virginia Tech
9/16 at North Dakota State
9/23 at James Madison

:eek:

pete4256
January 19th, 2006, 02:38 PM

If our AD really is afraid to play Northeastern at Paulson Stadium just because we've got a new coach, that's pathetic. I don't care what happened in Boston this year.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the scheduling heat Baker has recently taken might be justified.

That being said, I defy Bulldog1 to find "far better" OOC REGIONAL competition than BCC. Maybe SCSU. Maybe FAMU. Definitely an SEC or ACC school. But who else is in driving distance and would be a good fit?

Sorry I "twisted your words," but my animosity no doubt derives from your previous posts on AGS--note the DC-esque self-satisfied, unctious condescension in this post:

"Didn't say he "ran him off" - but you must admit that this transfer has been plastered all over the net by GSU faithful who are so high on BVG as the saving grace of Eagle Football.

The old staff gets shafted for a big name in Van Gorder. Next all everyone hears is about the SEC coaches coming in as assistants. Well - that didn't exactly happen. MTSU, MSU, and WM aren't exactly coaching hotbeds.

Then tons of hype about this D I-A Quarterback is coming to install the "NEW" offense. This doesn't pan out either.

I feel for VanGorder. I think he has gotten into a situation where there are fickle fans, a few boosters with a lot of money to try and run the show, and an AD that wants to big time it but doesn't know how!

Hey - I'm not a big Sewak fan. But this whole situation has the coaching world laughing at the school. The convention was full of guys talking about the situation and the pathetic way it was handled. The school doesn't have the resources to attract top notch kids. The facilities are average, the head coach can only do so much. If VanGorder couldn't convince the kid this was the place with his reputation, how did anyone expect the old guys to do a better job?

I think coaches do too much for their schools to have fans running the show - whether they are big money boosters or freshman who haven't got a clue about college or football. The GSU Athletic Director commited the administrative sin of letting both determine his staffing direction. I feel for the kids still at the school and for VanGorder. This may have been the worse coaching decision of his career!

Baldy
January 19th, 2006, 03:10 PM
GSU was LUCKY to get into the playoffs this year with an 8-3 record (I believe the committee had GSU as the #13 team based on schedule, etc.).
Except for our first year in I-AA in 1984, GSU has never missed the playoffs with an 8-3 record, and there were SEVERAL years we played 2 or more DII/NAIA's.

Bulldog1
January 19th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Well - I feel like I'm arguing with a teenager about why this and why that. You can take bits and pieces of various posts out of context and come to whatever conclusion you want. I'm not going to try and argue with you about it.

I do have issues with the AD at GSU. Not the program. I have never said that I don't support the program (coaches and players). I do feel for them, because I think the AD is a self-serving prick. He is doing no one any good by the scheduling he's compiled over the past few years, nor his negotiating skills (or lack of). :coach:

The AD's personnel handling and his management style have driven a tremendous athletic program into one of mediocrity. He has built some facilties, but has done more damage by alienating long time supporters and former players/coaches. He's got a few backers with money right now, but when the RB's and the Hennon's are gone - and they will be in the very near future, he's left the program with the people who worked the trenches to get it built pissed off and no longer part of the program. There are a lot more folks out there who would give a few thousand a year than can give a few hundred thousand - those are the one's he's driven away and it will come back to haunt the University.

As for the BCC issue, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I don't feel they are a STRONG OCC team. A good rivalry - sure. But not one that will help with the playoff selection committee when it comes to strength of schedule. Again, my opinion - you don't have to agree.

This will be my last post on the subject - I'm not going to debate opinions. We each have them - doesn't mean any one is better than another.
:deadhorse

TxSt02
January 19th, 2006, 03:33 PM
i imagine they want some more homegames... We "staggered" our series with South Dakota State and wont play them until 07...

Baldy
January 19th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Well - I feel like I'm arguing with a teenager about why this and why that. You can take bits and pieces of various posts out of context and come to whatever conclusion you want. I'm not going to try and argue with you about it.

I do have issues with the AD at GSU. Not the program. I have never said that I don't support the program (coaches and players). I do feel for them, because I think the AD is a self-serving prick. He is doing no one any good by the scheduling he's compiled over the past few years, nor his negotiating skills (or lack of). :coach:

The AD's personnel handling and his management style have driven a tremendous athletic program into one of mediocrity. He has built some facilties, but has done more damage by alienating long time supporters and former players/coaches. He's got a few backers with money right now, but when the RB's and the Hennon's are gone - and they will be in the very near future, he's left the program with the people who worked the trenches to get it built pissed off and no longer part of the program. There are a lot more folks out there who would give a few thousand a year than can give a few hundred thousand - those are the one's he's driven away and it will come back to haunt the University.

As for the BCC issue, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I don't feel they are a STRONG OCC team. A good rivalry - sure. But not one that will help with the playoff selection committee when it comes to strength of schedule. Again, my opinion - you don't have to agree.

This will be my last post on the subject - I'm not going to debate opinions. We each have them - doesn't mean any one is better than another.
:deadhorse
Comparing the piss poor financial shape GSU athletics were in before Sam Baker arrived to the strength it is in now, AND considering Southern Boosters has had about a 40% to 50% increase in members since his arrival, Sam hasn't alienated very many long time supporters at all. Unless of course, they were rah-rah supporters and not $$$$$ supporters.

Sorry Bulldog, the facts don't support your claims.

GannonFan
January 20th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Northeastern's 2006 schedule was looking like it was going to start as:

9/2 at Georgia Southern
9/9 at Virginia Tech
9/16 at North Dakota State
9/23 at James Madison

:eek:

Yup, that would be nuts. Scheduling hard is to be commended, scheduling insanely is entirely different. That's 4 losses to start the season - they'd be out of the playoffs (well, they're not a strong playoff contender anyway) by Sept 23. Like I said, nuts.

ButlerGSU
January 20th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Yup, that would be nuts. Scheduling hard is to be commended, scheduling insanely is entirely different. That's 4 losses to start the season - they'd be out of the playoffs (well, they're not a strong playoff contender anyway) by Sept 23. Like I said, nuts.

Give JMU some credit, GSU has a lot of questions to be answered in 2006.