PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Closes Door on Scrimmage to Fans

TexasTerror
August 21st, 2010, 03:56 PM
Crazy...

Lamar has not been utilizing their stadium previously, why can they do not a scrimmage outside their stadium? Their last scrimmage was out on the practice fields and open to the public...

Seems like it would be a great opportunity for people to get associated with Lamar football and excited about the return. Woodard does want to play under the lights, since not many of his players have done it since their high school days...so, there's your football reason. ;)

For that reason, Ekpe is doubly excited about tonight's full-contact, intra-squad scrimmage under the lights at Provost Umphrey Stadium. The scrimmage is closed to the public because the stadium is considered an active construction zone, Lamar athletic director Larry Tidwell said.

Security officers will patrol the stadium to keep fans from entering during the scrimmage, Tidwell said. Fans cannot watch from the steps connected to the Montagne Center that overlook the stadium field.

Only players and coaches can be in the stadium.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/101205674.html

LUFAN1
August 21st, 2010, 05:08 PM
Man terror some times you are such a clown... You always try to down Lamar... for what this time.. they want to practice on the field they are going to play games on.... How is that CRAZY??? This is the only scrimmage that has been closed to the public so go fly a kite.

McNeese72
August 21st, 2010, 06:10 PM
Man terror some times you are such a clown... You always try to down Lamar... for what this time.. they want to practice on the field they are going to play games on.... How is that CRAZY??? This is the only scrimmage that has been closed to the public so go fly a kite.

The part that gets me, is that they will not let the fans watch from the steps of the Montagne Center. What will that hurt? Sounds like to me, they don't want anybody see the scrimmage more than they want to play in the stadium under the lights. But that is a good excuse, I guess. ;)

Doc

centexguy
August 21st, 2010, 07:56 PM
It's closed to the public because of liability issues with the stadium construction not complete. Coach Woodard wanted to scrimmage under the lights in a football stadium to get them ready for the McNeese game. The scrimmage is being shown live via the stadium webcam for anyone who wants to watch it.

http://140.158.55.12/index.html?size=0&mode=2

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4914789960_37eab63c3a.jpg

McNeese72
August 21st, 2010, 08:44 PM
Not exactly streaming video and the camera is fixed so not following the action. Why don't they want fans watching from the Montagne Center?

Doc

centexguy
August 21st, 2010, 08:59 PM
Not exactly streaming video and the camera is fixed so not following the action. Why don't they want fans watching from the Montagne Center?

Doc

They originally said fans could watch from steps and the Montagne Center but then they said no, probably due to the fact they are adding the suites to Montagne Center. I guess Lamar's trying to protect themselves from a lawsuit if someone got hurt.

TexasTerror
August 21st, 2010, 10:16 PM
The part that gets me, is that they will not let the fans watch from the steps of the Montagne Center. What will that hurt? Sounds like to me, they don't want anybody see the scrimmage more than they want to play in the stadium under the lights. But that is a good excuse, I guess. ;)

They told their fans earlier in the week that they would be able to watch from the steps of the Montagne...oddly enough.

Lamar is behind the other SLC schools as far as utilizing social media, because at least that'd provide some way to follow the scrimmage (i.e. via Twitter) as seen by a few other schools like SHSU and SLU.

This is the first year back of Lamar football. You would think that the program would do what it takes to really connect with the community and excite the fan base. Lamar has fumbled a bit in doing that.

Can we expect a recap on LamarCardinals.com tonight on the scrimmage? Or are we going to have rely on the Beaumont Enterprise...if they were let in.

bjtheflamesfan
August 21st, 2010, 10:38 PM
If you actually would check your inbox youd see I wrote you about it 3CT

centexguy
August 22nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Since Lamar has already sold around 5000+ season tickets and sold out the 7 suites and $25K each, I'd say Lamar is doing just fine in promoting the team and getting fans excited about football. I think only McNeese has sold more season tickets than that in the SLC. Their football games will be on KLVI 56 AM, which can be heard from Lake Charles to Houston, and 3 games will be televised locally.

Of course Terror is our resident "expert" on football so none of that matters and what he says is all important. xrotatehx

TexasTerror
August 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
Lamar in the last few months have picked up the pace in promoting their program...

Lots of bad decisions have been made. Some have been corrected and others, we'll take a few years to determine if they actually were bad decisions. I hope Lamar does well, because I think they can really help the SLC bolster ourselves nationally with another well-funded program...

bigred360
August 22nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
First action ever in newly refurbished Provost Umphrey Stadium
LU passing game accounts for 318 yards, four touchdowns

BEAUMONT - Lamar University's football team tested the artificial playing surface in Provost Umphrey Stadium for the first time Saturday night in a controlled scrimmage that showcased a strong passing game and a hard-hitting defense.

Andre Bevil did the bulk of the passing, connecting on 14 of 24 attempts for 221 yards and two touchdowns. The junior from West Orange-Stark had scoring strikes of 40 and 34 yards, both to J.J. Hayes who hauled in five catches for 117 yards.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082210aaa.html

TexasTerror
August 22nd, 2010, 06:41 PM
Bevil and Hayes...is that duo going to produce some hefty marks for the Lamar program?

msusig
August 22nd, 2010, 06:47 PM
Are you ready to watch your team get a beating at the hole? You'll wish your school never started a football team.

bigred360
August 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
msusig, my brother played at McNeese so I know about your program. I think we'll lose "at the hole" but I hope it is a competitive game. With all the talk around here about the football program I doubt a loss to McNeese will cause Cardinals fan's to wish we didn't start a football program. You guys are ranked in the Top 25 in all the preseason polls and 2nd to SFA in the SLC so a loss by a first year program won't have that big of an effect on us. Let's see how we do years 4, 5 and 6.

See ya Sept 4th in Lake Charles. I'll be tailgating with a few of my McNeese buddies!

bigred360
August 22nd, 2010, 07:11 PM
Bevil and Hayes...is that duo going to produce some hefty marks for the Lamar program?

Bevil played at WO-S HS under Dan Hooks so he got good coaching at an early age. He was recruited by a couple FBS schools out of Navarro. Hayes has only played football a few years; one in HS and two in junior college. 6-3, 205 he is a big target to get the ball to.

So, to answer your question, yea I think that duo will produce some hefty numbers this season.

msusig
August 22nd, 2010, 11:42 PM
I'm just having fun! Can't wait for football season to start.