PDA

View Full Version : NDSU & MONTANA should partner and goto WAC.

LakesBison
August 21st, 2010, 10:49 AM
Montana and NDSU should renew their rivalry and move to WAC together.

the breakdown that is happening is NOW, 5-10 years from now, it might not be there.

Montana and NDSU have the finances, facilities and more importantly FANS that will TRAVEL. OIL is booming in North Dakota and parts of Montana.

Have some vision and do this RIGHT NOW. Great Travel Partners, NDSU and MONTANA would have competitive basketball teams, NDSU's womens sports would step right in and be top 3. Heck, the WAC even has wrestling!

goyotes
August 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM

the breakdown that is happening is NOW, 5-10 years from now, it might not be there.

Montana and NDSU have the finances, facilities and more importantly FANS that will TRAVEL. OIL is booming in North Dakota and parts of Montana.

Have some vision and do this RIGHT NOW. Great Travel Partners, NDSU and MONTANA would have competitive basketball teams, NDSU's womens sports would step right in and be top 3. Heck, the WAC even has wrestling!

Fargo to Missoula - 950 miles

Uncle Rico's Clan
August 21st, 2010, 11:06 AM
I think the WAC is a scary idea right now, all the reputable schools have packed up and left and what remains doesn't seem too attractive. The WAC is in crisis mode right now and I think to save the conference they will try to take anything that comes their way. This could end up being a short term fix, but be problematic in the long term if some of the schools they end up taking don't pan out. I think at this point it would be best for Montana to sit and watch before we make any decisions. Once the dust settles a little bit everyone will have a better idea of the makeup of the WAC and if it will remain a viable conference.

Uncle Rico's Clan
August 21st, 2010, 11:07 AM
Fargo to Missoula - 950 miles

And the travel to Lousiana Tech and Hawaii seems even less attractive.

LakesBison
August 21st, 2010, 11:20 AM
Uncle Rico. its called CHARTER, look it up. You dont want a true rival? you'd rather have a rival like MSU that you can beat up consistently?? sad.

OrygunBison
August 21st, 2010, 12:50 PM
Uncle Rico. its called CHARTER, look it up. You dont want a true rival? you'd rather have a rival like MSU that you can beat up consistently?? sad.

Dude, are you serious??? Your arguments never make any freakin' sense.

TexasTerror
August 21st, 2010, 01:27 PM

Have you ever traveled with an NCAA Division I program? I have and can tell you that travel partners 900+ miles apart is not a true travel partner. It's called a pain in the tail for teams that travel!

Mods - does Mpls have two accounts? Or is this just someone else that makes no sense and poor arguments?

RabidRabbit
August 21st, 2010, 01:57 PM
Have you ever traveled with an NCAA Division I program? I have and can tell you that travel partners 900+ miles apart is not a true travel partner. It's called a pain in the tail for teams that travel!

Mods - does Mpls have two accounts? Or is this just someone else that makes no sense and poor arguments?

TT - Please avoid calling out specific posters.

Unfortunately the Bison are blessed with 3 posters that love to rant, and post illogical, beyond left field comments that, of themselves, aren't TOS material, but usually lead to TOS concerns.

I'm just SSSSOOOOO GLAD xwhistlex that the Bison have an infinitely deep pocket that they are even THINKING that the WAC is anything but WACKY at this time.

Oh, NDSU staff isn't thinking this? xrolleyesx It's just some looney fans? xoopsx

Hey NDSU, how about playing well at the FCS level first. xconfusedx

Montana getting rid of their rivalry with MT St, is a bit like splitting USD-SDSU or NDSU-UND. Look how well that's gone. xnonono2xxnonono2x

This should be a DOA thought. xthumbsupx

TokyoGriz
August 21st, 2010, 02:07 PM
Hawaii goes independent and LA Tech may likely bail as well.

Very possible outcomes and very much make the WAC more attractive for Montana. Sorry think NDSU is going to not be a part of this picture as it really doesnt make sense geographicly.

Wac sucks up couple cali teams, couple texas teams, 2 montana teams and maybe weber state (fill in the blank western FCS team)

Green Cookie Monster
August 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
yeah!

darell1976
August 21st, 2010, 02:48 PM

Then I would suggest you call Gene Taylor and tell him this, because he already said NDSU is NOT moving to the FBS.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/06/23/several-division-1-aa-schools-not-lookin?blog=2

North Dakota State Athletic Director Gene Taylor also denied any plans for the Bison to leave the MVC for a FBS conference.

“I wouldn’t say never, but right now we’re committed to the FCS and Missouri Valley,” Taylor said. “We haven’t had any official talks.”

TexasTerror
August 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM
Oh, NDSU staff isn't thinking this? xrolleyesx It's just some looney fans? xoopsx

Good thing, it's typically some looney fans and not the schools!

I'm pretty sure at this point there are a few TXST fans who would run their school over a cliff if they were calling the shots...

MplsBison
August 21st, 2010, 03:01 PM
TT - Please avoid calling out specific posters.

Unfortunately the Bison are blessed with 3 posters that love to rant, and post illogical, beyond left field comments that, of themselves, aren't TOS material, but usually lead to TOS concerns.

I'm just SSSSOOOOO GLAD xwhistlex that the Bison have an infinitely deep pocket that they are even THINKING that the WAC is anything but WACKY at this time.

Hey NDSU, how about playing well at the FCS level first. xconfusedx

Montana getting rid of their rivalry with MT St, is a bit like splitting USD-SDSU or NDSU-UND. Look how well that's gone. xnonono2xxnonono2x

This should be a DOA thought. xthumbsupx

Good idea! NDSU should try win at least one MVFC title before moving to FBS! xnodx

Just please be sure that you let us all know when SDSU's program has done something that would be worth noting in a college football history book! xreadx Nice scoreboard and end-zone facility!

MplsBison
August 21st, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hawaii goes independent and LA Tech may likely bail as well.

Very possible outcomes and very much make the WAC more attractive for Montana. Sorry think NDSU is going to not be a part of this picture as it really doesnt make sense geographicly.

Wac sucks up couple cali teams, couple texas teams, 2 montana teams and maybe weber state (fill in the blank western FCS team)

Hawaii and LaTech leaving the WAC seems to be a popular thing to throw out there without so much as a supporting argument.

Realistically, I don't see anywhere for LaTech to go (yet). Sun Belt is full and even though that would make the most financial sense LT wants to go up in conference credibility - only CUSA would give them that. I don't see openings there (yet).

Hawaii, yeah maybe they would go independent. But where do the non-football sports play? Big West? Again possible...but it's easy to talk the talk....walking the walk is going to be difficult.

TokyoGriz
August 21st, 2010, 03:26 PM
Just please be sure that you let us all know when SDSU's program has done something that would be worth noting in a college football history book!

Um they did make history last year in Missoula Montana for allowing one of the biggest comebacks in college football history. Oh and guess they did it the exact same thing last time they were in missoula as well. That worth the history books?

On topic Hawaii has made some serious sounds to going independent it seems though.

TheBisonator
August 21st, 2010, 03:33 PM
Sometimes I feel sorry to be an NDSU fan with the three troublesome posters we have on this board.

Anyway, about the WAC, the idea intrigues me, but we need the new BSA renovation and indoor field house before we start thinking about it.

I'm still hoping for an all-sports MVC for NDSU myself.

darell1976
August 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM
Sometimes I feel sorry to be an NDSU fan with the three troublesome posters we have on this board.

Anyway, about the WAC, the idea intrigues me, but we need the new BSA renovation and indoor field house before we start thinking about it.

Wouldn't NDSU get backlash if they came out and said they are going to move to the FBS when you had the whole money for the President's house debate. Plus where would the money for the Fargodome expansion come from (would that be NDSU or the City of Fargo)? Maybe Dr. Sanford can open his wallet some more.

Uncle Rico's Clan
August 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM

If we did move up with NDSU you wouldn't be our biggest rival. We have a long history with Idaho, the winner of the Griz-Vandal game earned the Little Brown Stein. Many older Griz fans will admit that before Idaho moved up they were considered a bigger rival than the Cats. Also, if we were to move up, there is a good chance MSU would come along, if that were the case, and you followed also, you would be 3rd on the conference rivals list at best.

TheBisonator
August 21st, 2010, 04:08 PM
Wouldn't NDSU get backlash if they came out and said they are going to move to the FBS when you had the whole money for the President's house debate. Plus where would the money for the Fargodome expansion come from (would that be NDSU or the City of Fargo)? Maybe Dr. Sanford can open his wallet some more.

The President's house is a completely different can of beans than athletics fundraising. I'm not saying we would be able to raise the $5-7 million per year to do it (our budget last year was at $14 million), but private fundraising in the athletics sector at NDSU is very strong. Hopefully we'll have the big announcment for the Sanford Arena/BSA reno on Homecoming Weekend, then we'll be basically set for facilties once that project is taken care of. ANd like I said, I'm still hoping for Valley in all sports.

darell1976
August 21st, 2010, 04:18 PM
The President's house is a completely different can of beans than athletics fundraising. I'm not saying we would be able to raise the $5-7 million per year to do it (our budget last year was at $14 million), but private fundraising in the athletics sector at NDSU is very strong. Hopefully we'll have the big announcment for the Sanford Arena/BSA reno on Homecoming Weekend, then we'll be basically set for facilties once that project is taken care of. ANd like I said, I'm still hoping for Valley in all sports.

But who pays for a Fargodome expansion (I heard other Bison fans say they could do that to add seats) would it be NDSU or the City of Fargo who owns the building.

SO ILLmatic
August 21st, 2010, 05:15 PM
But who pays for a Fargodome expansion (I heard other Bison fans say they could do that to add seats) would it be NDSU or the City of Fargo who owns the building.

Do they really need the extra seats? Not saying they wouldn't be filled, but the FargoDome already holds more than the Kibbie Dome. And they are already, and have been, playing FBS football.

The only necessity I could see NDSU having to have at that level would be Field Turf, which should truly be a necessity right now in the MVFC.

darell1976
August 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Do they really need the extra seats? Not saying they wouldn't be filled, but the FargoDome already holds more than the Kibbie Dome. And they are already, and have been, playing FBS football.

The only necessity I could see NDSU having to have at that level would be Field Turf, which should truly be a necessity right now in the MVFC.

I heard some Bison fans saying if they move up they need to expand the dome for more seats. They already surpass the 15,000 requirement.

johnson
August 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM
I for one don't agree with moving up but for conversation sake I think the Fargodome could stay at the seating capacity it is at for now. Ticket prices could be raised as demand increases. Single game tickets are only $15-$30 and could be doubled eventually IMO. They could fill the dome to max capacity of around 19,300 if you include standing room only tickets and increase ticket prices across the board. I think the FM area would pay more to see a higher level of football in the Dome. However, they need to get back to winning ball games before anyone at NDSU can dream of selling the idea of higher prices to the public. It would be a much better idea to become competitive at the FCS level first and then start building a solid foundation for a move up in the future. Not a couple of years of excellent play and then a couple of years of terrible play like the past few seasons.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 21st, 2010, 06:33 PM
There must be some sort of serious drug problem in Lawrence Welk country. It's the only explanation.

I Bleed Purple
August 21st, 2010, 07:05 PM
If we did move up with NDSU you wouldn't be our biggest rival. We have a long history with Idaho, the winner of the Griz-Vandal game earned the Little Brown Stein. Many older Griz fans will admit that before Idaho moved up they were considered a bigger rival than the Cats. Also, if we were to move up, there is a good chance MSU would come along, if that were the case, and you followed also, you would be 3rd on the conference rivals list at best.

Am I the only one that first read that as "Little Brown Stain?"

And to whomever mentioned Weber State as going to the WAC. It'll never happen. Ever. Even if Weber would for some crazy reason want to go up, I'm sure the three FBS schools within 70 miles will all shut that down. Done so with academics, so I don't see why it wouldn't happen athletically.

LakesBison
August 22nd, 2010, 12:28 AM
bisonater... you talk more crap, you're a nobody, so dont sit there and personally rip on any bison fan. EVER.

#2 darrel. this doesnt concern you, move along, NDSU has plenty of money and plenty of fans 20,000/game if they went FBS.

#3 the WAC commissionar was heading to Fargo just last week, hmmmmm I wonder why>??

#4 Fargo is 125,000 people, lots of Western Minnesota and would support a FBS team just fine.

Twentysix
August 22nd, 2010, 01:07 AM

Who is the third?

Twentysix
August 22nd, 2010, 01:08 AM
bisonater... you talk more crap, you're a nobody, so dont sit there and personally rip on any bison fan. EVER.

#2 darrel. this doesnt concern you, move along, NDSU has plenty of money and plenty of fans 20,000/game if they went FBS.

#3 the WAC commissionar was heading to Fargo just last week, hmmmmm I wonder why>??

#4 Fargo is 125,000 people, lots of Western Minnesota and would support a FBS team just fine.

Honestly, i dont believe the WAC commisioner thought anything but "Were getting BYU, Were getting BYU" last week.

With what happened with the MWC and the WAC i wouldnt be suprised if the president/AD of BYU was meeting the WAC president in Fargo to discuss things.

Seems like College football is on par with military secrets these days.....Other than Wikileaks who knows?

darell1976
August 22nd, 2010, 08:03 AM

What is your source on this? It wasn't on radio, GoBison.com, tv, Fargo Forum...must be another fan's pot smoking moment.

RabidRabbit
August 22nd, 2010, 10:38 AM

Lakes - TOS violation, calling out other posters. FLAMING. Last warning before TO.

Green Cookie Monster
August 22nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
How did this turn into another Dakota thread?

Houndawg
August 22nd, 2010, 12:15 PM

I see two problems, amigo. There could be more.

1) Montana doesn't need NDSU.

2) Two seasons in the FCS and NDSU has one good win.

Your zeal is commendable, but you just ain't ready yet.

MplsBison
August 22nd, 2010, 01:51 PM

An FBS MVC is dead on arrival. The new rules are going to require that an existing FBS conference has to invite any new move up to FBS.

JBB
August 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM

Good post Lakes. xsmileyclapx

North Dakota State Athletic Director Gene Taylor also denied any plans for the Bison to leave the MVC for a FBS conference.

“I wouldn’t say never, but right now we’re committed to the FCS and Missouri Valley,” Taylor said. “We haven’t had any official talks.”

Dr. Taylor is saying nobody has contacted him. I know on a first hand basis that NDSU has as its goal FBS. Its been that way for a long time. That goal was integrated into the overall athletic department strategy when NDSU made the move to D1.

This may be a little quick but I think the timing is perfect. I for one hope the opportunity comes to NDSU and we take it. Nothing like starting at the bottom and working your way up. Thats what the NDSU stiuation would be in an FBS/all sports WAC.

We do bring some good softball, volleyball and basketball with us too. NCAA playoff berths in all sports. We do have 15,000 seats and a couple of very nice stadium locations for down the road sometime. We also seem to have a BSA/basketball arena expansion unfolding.

now my $0.02:

It would be nice if some of these folks that see themselves as the mainstream would focus a little more on the subject at hand. In a social forum established to exchange ideas Lakes, or anybody else, should not have to defend himself in that way. xnonox

MplsBison
August 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Good post Lakes. xsmileyclapx

Dr. Taylor is saying nobody has contacted him. I know on a first hand basis that NDSU has as its goal FBS. Its been that way for a long time. That goal was integrated into the overall athletic department strategy when NDSU made the move to D1.

This may be a little quick but I think the timing is perfect. I for one hope the opportunity comes to NDSU and we take it. Nothing like starting at the bottom and working your way up. Thats what the NDSU stiuation would be in an FBS/all sports WAC.

We do bring some good softball, volleyball and basketball with us too. NCAA playoff berths in all sports. We do have 15,000 seats and a couple of very nice stadium locations for down the road sometime. We also seem to have a BSA/basketball arena expansion unfolding.

now my $0.02:

It would be nice if some of these folks that see themselves as the mainstream would focus a little more on the subject at hand. In a social forum established to exchange ideas Lakes should not have to defend himself in that way. xnonox

Would you still be for the move if the WAC invited: Montana, Montana State, NDSU and UND?

JBB
August 22nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
Yes. But I think thats highly unlikely. There are better choices than UND. That may sound funny coming from an NDSU fan because there are certainly better choices than NDSU, but there is a gap between NDSU and UND when it comes to FBS football.

NDSU is a full fledged D1 member. Meeting the attendance requirement, success in the other sports and the necessary market to support it are all in the mix. They certainly make NDSU a decent target if they have to go this deep into the FBS to fill the vacancies.

darell1976
August 22nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Yes. But I think thats highly unlikely. There are better choices than UND. That may sound funny coming from an NDSU fan because there are certainly better choices than NDSU, but there is a gap between NDSU and UND when it comes to FBS football.

NDSU is a full fledged D1 member. Meeting the attendance requirement, success in the other sports and the necessary market to support it certainly makes NDSU a decent target if they have to go this deep into the FBS to fill the vacancies.

I actually agree. With UND still with 9 years left on the Alerus lease they won't be able to get into a 15,000 seat stadium for a while. But I see the 2 Montana's going before the 2 Dakota's.

JBB
August 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM

I agree Lakes, each and every game. The potential for 50.000 is there too. Once we got going just think of the games we could have, even in the FFD. Im sure we could get the gophers, the MAC and some of the Big 12 teams for OOC and the conference games would be so sweet especially with Montana in the league.

Johnson had it right. Ticket prices could double before we had to build a new stadium. Doubling ticket prices is the same as drawing 38,000 or so.

I also agree on the market size Lakes. Some of this market talk doesnt make sense. Sure you can have a potential of millions but if you cant compete so what? In this market the WAC would be #1. It would be bigger news than the Big 10.

darell1976
August 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
I agree Lakes, each and every game. The potential for 50.000 is there too. Once we got going just think of the games we could have, even in the FFD. Im sure we could get the gophers, the MAC and some of the Big 12 teams for OOC and the conference games would be so sweet especially with Montana in the league.

Johnson had it right. Ticket prices could double before we had to build a new stadium. Doubling ticket prices is the same as drawing 38,000 or so.

I also agree on the market size Lakes. Some of this market talk doesnt make sense. Sure you can have a potential of millions but if you cant compete so what? In this market the WAC would be #1. It would be bigger news than the Big 10.

Good luck on raising that kind of money. Fargoans are sick of new taxes, and stadiums are not going to cut it especially since we haven't had our diversion built. Just look at the Vikings after next season they could be moving to L.A. because Minnesotans don't have the money for a new stadium and North Dakota doesn't either. Hopefully Sanford can pay for one.

slostang
August 22nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
I can see NDSU drawing maybe 30,000 to 35,000 in the FBS many years down the road if they were winning, but 50,000 is a real stretch.

JBB
August 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
There are 25,000 living in Ames Iowa. They draw 50,000 regularly. Of course you have to have a place to put them so until we have 50,000 seat facility it probably wont happen, but when they build it will be planned for 50. It wont happen without an FBS invite and the FFD will have to be sold out every weekend with tickets double the current price.

darell1976
August 22nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
There are 25,000 living in Ames Iowa. They draw 50,000 regularly. Of course you have to have a place to put them so until we have 50,000 seat facility it probably wont happen, but when they build it will be planned for 50. It wont happen without an FBS invite and the FFD will have to be sold out every weekend with tickets double the current price.

You are so right JBB.....it won't happen.xnonono2x

MplsBison
August 22nd, 2010, 08:05 PM

I'd be curious to know how many IA State alums live within say a 4 hour drive of ISU vs. how many NDSU alumni live within the same type drive of NDSU.

I'm guessing it's not even close. You have Mpls to the North, KC to the south and Omaha, Des Moines and eastern IA/western WI/IL on I-80 to the west and east.

Houndawg
August 23rd, 2010, 02:38 AM
I'd be curious to know how many IA State alums live within say a 4 hour drive of ISU vs. how many NDSU alumni live within the same type drive of NDSU.

I'm guessing it's not even close. You have Mpls to the North, KC to the south and Omaha, Des Moines and eastern IA/western WI/IL on I-80 to the west and east.

How many alumni are going to be interested in watching NDSU become the next Western Kentucky?

LakesBison
August 23rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
oh referee. he can say those things about me, but I cant defend myself? whateva.

NDSU and MONTANA can do this, there is no reason to doubt either of them. Even at 21,000-25,000 consistently sold out and loud, NDSU would make money at FBS.

Softball, Womens volleyball and both Basketball teams would play right away.

if NDSU can put 30,000 fans in the Metrodome in 2006 + 2007, they surely can sell out at 25,000 to play Hawaii, Fresno. I mean CMON!!

Houndawg, it doesnt matter how bad our last 2 years were, the 2 years before that were 10-1 and #1 in the nation, and NDSU's total program will be successful.

slostang
August 23rd, 2010, 09:20 AM
oh referee. he can say those things about me, but I cant defend myself? whateva.

NDSU and MONTANA can do this, there is no reason to doubt either of them. Even at 21,000-25,000 consistently sold out and loud, NDSU would make money at FBS.

if NDSU can put 30,000 fans in the Metrodome in 2006 + 2007, they surely can sell out at 25,000 to play Hawaii, Fresno. I mean CMON!!

Houndawg, it doesnt matter how bad our last 2 years were, the 2 years before that were 10-1 and #1 in the nation, and NDSU's total program will be successful.

Fresno State will no longer be in the WAC and I highly doubt that they will be making a trip to Fargo for an out of conference game. How many do you think will show for La. Tech and Idaho??????

MplsBison
August 23rd, 2010, 09:30 AM
Fresno State will no longer be in the WAC and I highly doubt that they will be making a trip to Fargo for an out of conference game. How many do you think will show for La. Tech and Idaho??????

To be perfectly honest, I think UND, SDSU and UNI are about the only DI schools in the nation where we should expect a solid showing from the other team's fans in Fargo.

We're just too far for most team's fans to make the trip...

If we're selling games out, it's because NDSU's fans are coming to watch.

bjtheflamesfan
August 23rd, 2010, 12:14 PM

I'll leave this to Referee to issue any warnings or otherwise but I thought Id jump in here and say that respect isnt given...its earned...and you are not exactly a very well respected poster in these here parts. If you learn to chill out and try to be a little more respectful to other teams' posters, maybe theyd be a little more respectful to you in return.

ValleyChamp
August 23rd, 2010, 01:48 PM
lol at this thread

darell1976
August 23rd, 2010, 02:11 PM
lol at this thread

We all need a lot of laughter before we get serious when the season starts.

LakesBison
August 23rd, 2010, 06:07 PM
NERDS need Respect, Lakesbison doesnt.

Ill stand behind everything I say with FACTS, NDSU and MONTANA should be jumping at the chance to go FBS and leave everyone behind.

JBB
August 23rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Im with you Lakes. Its coming a little early but we fit in with those schools.

Some people feel you need a wining team. I know winning is cyclical. What you need is a program that has demonstrated it can sustain itself at a high level over time, facilities assuming a BSA remodel (without 15,000 and attendance to match forget it) and a market that can show you the money. I think we have those things. Other schools are more attractive but its not out of the question that NDSUs name would come up.

Montana and NDSU would be tremendous additions to the WAC and could save the conference by giving them the upper midwest college sports market. I think our coverage would overlap the the Big 10 and Big 12.

slostang
August 23rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
Im with you Lakes. Its coming a little early but we fit in with those schools.

Some people feel you need a wining team. I know winning is cyclical. What you need is a program that has demonstrated it can sustain itself at a high level over time, facilities assuming a BSA remodel (without 15,000 and attendance to match forget it) and a market that can show you the money. I think we have those things. Other schools are more attractive but its not out of the question that NDSUs name would come up.

Montana and NDSU would be tremendous additions to the WAC and could save the conference by giving them the upper midwest college sports market. I think our coverage would overlap the the Big 10 and Big 12.

I agree that NDSU could make the jump. Good program and great fans. Do you think the WAC is the right conference though? Would a spot in the MAC be better? I think the Bison could dominate the MAC and it may be a better geographical fit.

Jacked_Rabbit
August 23rd, 2010, 07:52 PM
I agree that NDSU could make the jump. Good program and great fans. Do you think the WAC is the right conference though? Would a spot in the MAC be better? I think the Bison could dominate the MAC and it may be a better geographical fit.

Yeah, I agree, the Bison would FOR SURE win the MAC for the next 10 years straight. There is no doubt about that! I'm just not sure the MAC is the right fit... Maybe they could step into the former Big 12 after that conference dissolves. It seems NDSU is more on par with the likes of Kansas, Kans as St., Iowa St., etc...

The Bison have been so impressive over the past few years that I'd be shocked if they don't win the National Championship this year.

JBB
August 23rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
I think its perfectly suitable to be ambitious. Of course with ambition comes resentment.....

There is a lot going on. Who knows what will happen?

Ive already covered NDSU and the MAC. Right now NDSU would be in the top 5 football programs in the MAC attendance wise and other sports would be competitive. SDSU would fit right in too.

darell1976
August 24th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I agree, the Bison would FOR SURE win the MAC for the next 10 years straight. There is no doubt about that! I'm just not sure the MAC is the right fit... Maybe they could step into the former Big 12 after that conference dissolves. It seems NDSU is more on par with the likes of Kansas, Kans as St., Iowa St., etc...

The Bison have been so impressive over the past few years that I'd be shocked if they don't win the National Championship this year.

I think most teams in the MAC belong in the FCS.

Gil Dobie
August 24th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I think most teams in the MAC belong in the FCS.

...........maybe DII, according to Houndawg, an overrated 2007 NDSU defeated the MAC champ Central Michigan 44-14, that also lost to Purdue 51-48 in their bowl game.

darell1976
August 24th, 2010, 10:02 AM
...........maybe DII, according to Houndawg, an overrated 2007 NDSU defeated the MAC champ Central Michigan 44-14, that also lost to Purdue 51-48 in their bowl game.

Plus their attendance is horrible. I think maybe only Central Michigan and Miami belong in the MAC or else send Ohio, Kent State, Akron, the other Michigans packing.

OrygunBison
August 24th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I cannot believe that this thread is still going.

I would be interested in the WAC of old, sure, and I've said so on multiple occasions. But this new version isn't even slightly exciting. Why would anyone want that? Also, why would our participation have ANYTHING to do with Montana? They're a thousand miles away.

There are now no FBS conferences that fit our stature/geography. Perhaps the best thing for us would be to join the MVC in all sports with the conference going FBS in football some day in the future.

OrygunBison
August 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Plus their attendance is horrible. I think maybe only Central Michigan and Miami belong in the MAC or else send Ohio, Kent State, Akron, the other Michigans packing.

The MAC is worthless. Nobody cares about those schools. I'd rather be in the MVC in all sports. At least if the fan base is limited because of limited notoriety of the conference, we wouldn't go broke in the process.

Gil Dobie
August 24th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I cannot believe that this thread is still going. WhatTheF@ck!!!

I would be interested in the WAC of old, sure, and I've said so on multiple occasions. But this new version isn't even slightly exciting. Why would anyone want that? Also, why would our participation have ANYTHING to do with Montana? They're a thousand miles away.

There are now no FBS conferences that fit our stature/geography. Perhaps the best thing for us would be to join the MVC in all sports with the conference going FBS in football some day in the future.

That would probably be the best, wait for the conference to move instead of heading to a geographical nightmare. YSU, ILL St, UNI fans have all mentioned at one time or another about moving up. Maybe some bigger schools from other conferences close to the MVFC would join in as some of the MVFC schools may choose not to follow.

Houndawg
August 24th, 2010, 09:44 PM

Purdue stomped Central Michigan in the regular season.

Hammerhead
August 26th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I would prefer to wait until my alma mater wins a few playoff games over several years before even thinking about the FBS. We haven't even been to the FCS playoffs!!!

Gil Dobie
August 26th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Purdue stomped Central Michigan in the regular season.

More proof the MAC should be DII................

Houndawg
August 28th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I would prefer to wait until my alma mater wins a few playoff games over several years before even thinking about the FBS. We haven't even been to the FSC playoffs!!!

xsmileyclapx This.

The problem I see is that it won't be possible to recruit enough competitive FBS players to come play in Fargo.

You're having a hard enough time finding competitive FCS players and you want to move up? You'll be the next WKU.