PDA

View Full Version : Name your recruiting trips...

TxSt02
January 18th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Let's say you are a stud I-AA and I-AA recruiting was on the national level... ok were playing a game here... You have 5 I-AA recruiting trips. Where are you heading to? Your school doesnt count...

In no particular order:
1. Cal Poly school location/get some surfing in...
2. Harvard so people think im smart and so I can go to boston
3. Montana for tradition and stadium
4. North Dakota State Fargo Dome seems cool and North Dakota kinda intrigues me also I have been to 48/50 states and need ND
5. San Diego get another trip out to Cali... SD is cool

mainejeff
January 18th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Montana
Delaware
James Madison
Cal Poly
Northern Iowa

DC 'gater
January 18th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Montana
App. State
GA Southern
Furman
JMU

th0m
January 18th, 2006, 03:25 AM
App State
Delaware
Cal Poly
Harvard
Montana

93henfan
January 18th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Here are five where I WOULD NOT go:

Prairie View
Butler
Marist
Robert Morris
Villanova xlolx

Grizo406
January 18th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Portland State
Cal Poly
South Dakota State

Gotta' stay out West!

ChickenMan
January 18th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Portland State
Cal Poly
South Dakota State

Gotta' stay out West!

With that ankle bracelet... you'd probably have to stay in Montana... :D

My five...

UNH
Maine
Montana
ASU
McNeese St

Cocky
January 18th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Weber State
Portland State
Northwestern State
Bethune-Cookman-if I could go to the racetrack
Central Arkansas

UNH 40
January 18th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Montana
Harvard
Delaware
Yale
Bill & Mary

bandl
January 18th, 2006, 08:05 AM
In no particular order...

Montana
ASU
Cal Poly
UD
Harvard (but I would most likely not consider because there is no chance for a postseason... :bawling: )

Ivytalk
January 18th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Montana
Delaware
Furman
Penn
Texas State

Eagle_77
January 18th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Looking at this from a point of view of where I want to play football then it would have to be:

Montana
Furman
App St
Delaware
McNeese St

Looking at this from the point of view that I have already desided where I want to go but just want to go see some cool places:

Montana
Cal Poly
UMass
Northern Colorado
Youngstown St

DaGriz
January 18th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Texas St or Sam Houston St (Texas girls :nod: )
One of the Ivy league schools.
GSU(good tradition)
Deleware(I would like to see one of the largest stadiums in I-AA)
UT-Chatt(would like to see where I was going to be playing come December)

GannonFan
January 18th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Looking at this from the point of view that I have already desided where I want to go but just want to go see some cool places:

Montana
Cal Poly
UMass
Northern Colorado
Youngstown St

No knock on Youngstown, but why there? Youngstown, Ohio isn't really a great place to visit, outside of the football. Cleveland's close by but the town itself isn't a tourist attraction.

JoshUCA
January 18th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Weber State
Portland State
Northwestern State
Bethune-Cookman-if I could go to the racetrack
Central Arkansas

Wow...Central Arkansas, don't get me wrong I love this school, but most people here don't know us because we are new...so why would you want to visit good ole UCA (just curious)?

grizband
January 18th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Georgia Southern - girls, tradition, parties
Cal Poly - its California
Sam Houston - I agree with the Texas girls
Delaware - so I could meet the infamous Chickenman
Southern - see what all the comotion is about

Cocky
January 18th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Wow...Central Arkansas, don't get me wrong I love this school, but most people here don't know us because we are new...so why would you want to visit good ole UCA (just curious)?

Because your new to I-AA and I might get to go duck hunting. Central Ark is a pretty place and I'm not into the beaches or major attractions.

flexbone
January 18th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Montana
Delaware
New Hamphshire
Texas State
James Madison

bodoyle
January 18th, 2006, 10:28 AM
CCU (because I went there and am 100% biased, and the females there are gorgeous, and the weather is better there then home in Chicago)
Georgia Southern (If I am a RB or O-Lineman, if I am a WR no way in hell)
UNH (if I am a WR, and I like the cold weather during football season)
Montana (tradition and the great atmosphere at the games)
Grand Valley State (just so I can say I won a National Title)

Husky Alum
January 18th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Back in 1987, here's where I took my four....

Duke
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Rice

Given that I lived in CT, I was able to take "unofficials" to

Yale
Harvard
Columbia
Penn

(that was before I tore up my knee)

If I were a student now, with the same academic quals, here's the 1-AA's where I'd visit..

W&M
Furman
Delaware

I'm excluding the Ivies, the A-10 North and the PL because I live close enough to do an unofficial to most of them with minimal cost to myself.

Eagle_77
January 18th, 2006, 11:09 AM
No knock on Youngstown, but why there? Youngstown, Ohio isn't really a great place to visit, outside of the football. Cleveland's close by but the town itself isn't a tourist attraction.

This is just a place I would like to visit. Not really for the vacation side of it. One of those places with great hs and college FB tradition and really wouldnt want to go to school there but would still want to visit. I have been to Cleveland and was not impressed so that is no draw. Cant really explain it any better than that.

Husky Alum
January 18th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Eagle, I agree.

I went to the NU-YSU game in Y'Town this year.

The game-day atmosphere was quite good, and the YSU fans were very cordial to us and openly shared their tailgates with us.

However, there's nothing "there" in Y-town other than YSU. Maybe I missed it, but there's no real draw to the place other than the school on football saturdays.

Pard4Life
January 18th, 2006, 12:05 PM
This is a fun topic...

Realizing that I am a smart and athletic high school student without an NFL future, I would be looking at top academic schools with strong alumni bases. On that note, here would be my trips...

1. Princeton.. aweseome stadium, love the area, Woodrow Wilson school is top-notch
2. Yale.. superb school, and you get to play in 'The (other) Game'.
3. Harvard.. great tradition, outstanding chance to win a title each year
4. Colgate.. I'd like the idea of playing in Siberia, snow, cold, and I-AA playoffs, and I'd get to work part-time at the hockey games
5. Dartmouth (restart a winning tradition and nice area) or Penn (have one now)

dirtbag
January 18th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Northern Colorado
Youngstown St

?!?!

Youngstown and Greeley are cool places?

FargoBison
January 18th, 2006, 12:31 PM
It doesn't matter if the region around the school looks good, for me it would be all about football tradition, facilities, and fan support.

1. Montana
2. Georgia Soutern
3. Deleware
4. NDSU
5. UNI

Eagle_77
January 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
?!?!

Youngstown and Greeley are cool places?

See above about Youngstown. As for Greeley I have always wanted to go to Colorado and if I were a HS senior and could get a free trip there then I would take it. Would like to see what a Colorado winter looks like.

FUwolfpacker
January 18th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I go to Furman now, so I would say FU, but I'll give five others. This is a great topic by the way.

Montana
James Madison
Appalachain State (that hurts to say, but if I was a stud I-AA guy...I'd visit the national champions)
Richmond
Cal Poly (just to see California)

crunifan
January 18th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I would go with:

Georgia Southern
JMU
Yale
SIU
Montana

nlwwln
January 18th, 2006, 04:15 PM
montana(cream of the crop 1aa)
jacksonville st(consistantly good, nice stadium)
app(love the high country)
mcneese(high prestige at 1aa level)
elon(nice lil stadium, good location, good conference)

txstatebobcat
January 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Colgate
Penn
Georgia Southern
UC-Davis
Cal Poly

mainejeff
January 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I think that we can see here why the the California teams (especially Cal-Poly) have such a bright future.

NoCoDanny
January 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM
See above about Youngstown. As for Greeley I have always wanted to go to Colorado and if I were a HS senior and could get a free trip there then I would take it. Would like to see what a Colorado winter looks like.

It's about 65 degrees and sunny today.

Cocky
January 18th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I think that we can see here why the the California teams (especially Cal-Poly) have such a bright future.

It would be hard to keep most Southern boys in Cali for long. The culture is quite different and the football players are not treated as god. I can't speak much on kids from other parts of the country.

ucdtim17
January 18th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I too never really thought of Greeley or Youngstown as cool places to visit. I'm definitely a coast state kind of guy, so my visits, aside from UCD, would be

Cal Poly - california, good school
Princeton - great town and I love NJ
Harvard - good school and boston is cool
Penn - replace "boston" with "philly"
Northeastern - don't know much about it, but another good east coast school

ucdtim17
January 18th, 2006, 05:29 PM
It would be hard to keep most Southern boys in Cali for long. The culture is quite different and the football players are not treated as god. I can't speak much on kids from other parts of the country.

I did a quick scan of the UCD roster and didn't see one player from outside CA. There is more than enough talent in CA to sustain 2 top I-AA's in UCD and CP.

Sac, on the other hand, kudos to them for keeping football this long. :hurray:

HiHiYikas
January 18th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Knowing, as I did in HS, that I would become a Baptist Minister one day, and not an NFL tight end...

Furman - If you want a job in a Baptist Church, looks great on the resume. Beautiful campus, great football program. I can live with the purple.
ASU - closest college to where I grew up, went to games there when I was a little kid, like the area, championship program, huge Baptist Student Union.
Richmond - for all the same reasons as Furman, but the program's not as great.
Boston U - still had a program back when I was in HS, right? Campus isn't that great, but it's 4 blocks from Fenway Park. MLK did Doctoral work there, and he's as close as a Baptist can get to Sainthood.
Charleston Southern - here the Baptist thing comes back to bite me in the a$$. Not much of a football team, not much of a campus. But I did go to camp there when I was in HS, and I do like the Charleston area.

mainejeff
January 18th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I did a quick scan of the UCD roster and didn't see one player from outside CA. There is more than enough talent in CA to sustain 2 top I-AA's in UCD and CP.

Sac, on the other hand, kudos to them for keeping football this long. :hurray:

Exactly. Most on the Cal Poly roster are from California too. They are keeping talent at home and should start getting attention from other recruits West of the Rockies.

putter
January 18th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Cal Poly Building tradition in a great location -- oh, and California Girls!

Furman Quality school and football and southern women :hurray:

Georgia Southern Another So-Con school with tradition and the chance to experience southern hospitality

New Hampshire Present football success and close enough to experience the Big Cities of the east

Montana State Awesome location with all the outdoor activities you can ask for and clean air with few people.

ncbears
January 18th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Montana - for a winning tradition and great fans. Also, never been to Montana but I imagine it's like Colorado but without all the people.

Cal Poly - Warm weather and an up and coming program.

Harvard - For the academics.

Georgia Southern - I have always liked Georgia. Very beautiful.

lucchesicourt
January 19th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Sac will succeed in football, for the simple reason that many top athletes are NOT qiualified to attend either of these schools (UCD and Cal Poly) and that leaves Sac State. This is not a knock on Sac State (I respect this school even though I am an Aggie). But, their admission requirements are lower than UCD and Cal poly.

lucchesicourt
January 19th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Two things for a stud athlete to consider before deciding on a school are: are they considering pro ball, and at what position, and what are their educational goals. These two points I think should be considered over the location of the schools Let's face it ,some schools produce more professional athletes than others, and coaching may be a big part of this. If you are a QB and are seeking a pro career after football, wouldn't it be wise to persue a school with a reputation for producing pro quaterbacks rather than a school like Geogia Southern which more or less uses a running game? A QB doesn't always get to show his skills in a running style offense. I would think a high quality RB would easily pick GSU over a pass happy offensive team.

Cocky
January 19th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Can't believe very few want to come to Alabama. If you are good your name would be in the news 365 days per year.

If you like nature and hills, and good looking women JSU's campus wouldn't be a bad start.

Private school wise: Samford is something like 65% female which almost any poster/athlete could get a date. Samford also has a beautiful campus in a metro area.

HiHiYikas
January 19th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Samford is something like 65% female which almost any poster/athlete could get a date. Samford also has a beautiful campus in a metro area.
I considered mentioning Samford, for the same reasons as Furman and Richmond...several friends from down there, and it sounds like a nice place.

ucdtim17
January 19th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Sac will succeed in football, for the simple reason that many top athletes are NOT qiualified to attend either of these schools (UCD and Cal Poly) and that leaves Sac State. This is not a knock on Sac State (I respect this school even though I am an Aggie). But, their admission requirements are lower than UCD and Cal poly.

That makes perfect sense, but they've sucked for so long (really since the 80s, despite a few ok years with ricky ray & co). Moosh has been there for 3 years or so now and they haven't really shown much improvement. How much longer is he going to be there? When they get a whole new staff, which is certainly a possibility, they'll have to start all over again. No continuity in the coaching staff, and when they do have a few years with one coach, they still suck. So we'll see :confused:

SoCon Din
January 19th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Actually took my visits to Furman, Navy, and Samford - but I just realized this was where we wanted to visit, so I apologize for wasting the last 10 seconds.

Football, and other reasons:
App - the most beautiful setting I played in
Montana - looks like a pretty neat atmosphere
McNeese - always figured I'd had a little Loooosiana in me, would like to verify
Jax State - don't know why, but I'm fond of Alabama, and enjoyed it there
Sam Houston - my cousin played there

Non - football reasons:
GSU - close to girls in Athens
Samford - close to girls at Auburn, Alabama
Furman - close to Clemson, UGA girls
Mississippi Valley State - close to Ole Miss girls
UC-Davis - California girls

dirtbag
January 19th, 2006, 01:29 PM
See above about Youngstown. As for Greeley I have always wanted to go to Colorado ...

Well, there's your problem. Greeley's not in Colorado. It's in western Kansas.

Green Cookie Monster
January 19th, 2006, 01:49 PM
UC-Davis - California girls

hahahah, thats right, girls with wool under their pits. Plus the whole community smells like cow sheet.

Why oh why would any one want to visit Davis, Ca?

Green Cookie Monster
January 19th, 2006, 01:55 PM
That makes perfect sense, but they've sucked for so long (really since the 80s, despite a few ok years with ricky ray & co). Moosh has been there for 3 years or so now and they haven't really shown much improvement. How much longer is he going to be there? When they get a whole new staff, which is certainly a possibility, they'll have to start all over again. No continuity in the coaching staff, and when they do have a few years with one coach, they still suck. So we'll see :confused:

Uh, Sac was very dominant in the 60's, back when UC Davis sucked.

You got lucky with Sochor. I guess you don't remember the days in the early 90's when Troy Mills ran roughshod over your pathetic D, or more recently Charles Roberts who holds the NCAA record for most rushing yards and yards in a game. Not to mention Ricky Ray, CFL MVP, or Greg Knapp, OC of the 49ers and Falcons, or John Gesek two super bowl rings with the Cowboys, or Don Read the legendary coach of the Montana Grizzles or Lonie Paxton of the Pats, who also has two super bowl rings? etc.

Why do you Aggies always spout smack? Do you think it makes you look good always smacking somebody? Especially when your smack isn't any good or true?

Yes, our current coach sucks.

SoCon Din
January 19th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Forgive me, I'm not graced as to the ins and outs of California. Any school would have sufficed, and Cal-Poly was getting some pub, so I'd thought I'd throw Cal-Davis in there. If what you say is true, cancel my subscription.

I'm in Poly. Or some other Cali city.

ucdtim17
January 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM

You got lucky with Sochor. I guess you don't remember the days in the early 90's when Troy Mills ran roughshod over your pathetic D, or more recently Charles Roberts who holds the NCAA record for most rushing yards and yards in a game. Not to mention Ricky Ray, CFL MVP, or Greg Knapp, OC of the 49ers and Falcons, or John Gesek two super bowl rings with the Cowboys, or Don Read the legendary coach of the Montana Grizzles or Lonie Paxton of the Pats, who also has two super bowl rings? etc.

Why do you Aggies always spout smack? Do you think it makes you look good always smacking somebody? Especially when your smack isn't any good or true?

Well great Sac was good in the 60s. St. Mary's also used to be a national power. Yes the smack comes easily when you've beaten your "rival" 11 of 13 times, always at a scholarship disadvantage, and 36 of 52 overall.

And we have plenty of beautiful girls in Davis, that's just something Sac people like to say because they can't beat us on the field or in the classroom.
:rolleyes:

ncbears
January 19th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Well, there's your problem. Greeley's not in Colorado. It's in western Kansas.

WHAT?!?!?i

:confused: :confused:

Russ B
January 19th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Blah blah blah. Paul Hackett (USC, NFL), Mike Belloti (Oregon), Dan Hawkins (new Colorado coach, took Boise to new heights), Chris Petersen (Boise), Ken O'Brien (QB class of 83), Khari Jones (CFL MVP), Mike Ishiyama (back to back 300 yard rushing games in 1994), Mark Grieb (Arena league record setter). Every school on this board can name-drop.

The 60s happen to be the only decade that the Hornets won the series, going 7-3. How about we talk about the 50s (2-4), 70s (0-10), the 80s (3-8), the 90s (4-6), and the 00s (0-5)?

Ricky Ray and Charles Roberts were definitely studs and kudos to them for suceeding at the next level. :nod:

My guess for why Aggie fans "spout smack" about Sac State is because this is a rivalry and fans on either sides of a rivalry tend to do things like talk smack about the other school. :)

colgate13
January 19th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I've spent some time thinking about this one:

1. Princeton. Best school in the world... besides Colgate. :)
2. Furman. I've come to really like that liberal arts school down south. Seems very 'Colgate-like' with out the snow but with football scholarships.
3. Georgetown. If they had the players, being on a great I-AA team in D.C. and going to Georgetown would be outstanding.
4. William & Mary. Great school, great football. Hard to argue with.
5. Cal Poly. That picture I saw the other day is still in my head!

I nixed Dartmouth for Cal Poly, because I really think the admin there is anti-football, and that just doesn't fly with me.

TxSt02
January 19th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I've spent some time thinking about this one:

1. Princeton. Best school in the world... besides Colgate. :)
2. Furman. I've come to really like that liberal arts school down south. Seems very 'Colgate-like' with out the snow but with football scholarships.
3. Georgetown. If they had the players, being on a great I-AA team in D.C. and going to Georgetown would be outstanding.
4. William & Mary. Great school, great football. Hard to argue with.
5. Cal Poly. That picture I saw the other day is still in my head!

I nixed Dartmouth for Cal Poly, because I really think the admin there is anti-football, and that just doesn't fly with me.

Too bad Pepperdine doesn't have a football squad:
http://www.allensguide.com/img/ddlhn/486/3-pepperdine.jpg

GeauxLions94
January 19th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Here's five schools to visit in no particular order ...

Montana :hyped: xprost2x
Cal Poly :cool:
McNeese State :beerchug: :beerchug: xprost2x :beerchug:
Appalachian State :hurray: :rotateh:
Furman :read: :nod: ;)

almost in ...
Georgia Southern (6 NC flags GOOD; new coach, new offensive system BAD) :confused:
Coastal Carolina (beach and good golf courses) :eyebrow:

Here's five you should AVOID at all costs ...
Mississippi Valley State :boring:
Nicholls State (if chicks weren't involved) :doh:
Tennessee-Martin :eek:
Austin Peay :bang:
Southern Utah :nonono2:

If ONLY chicks were involved:
Southeastern Louisiana/Nicholls State - close to LSU/New Orleans/Mississippi Gulf Coast :nod:
Texas State - close to Austin/San Antonio :smiley_wi
Montana - who has those pics from Washington-Griz? :bow:
Samford - Alabama/Auburn and close to UTennessee/Georgia xsmoochx
Whatever school the Captain hasn't been too (kind of like following Wooden at UCLA, what was that guy's name?) :p

Cocky
January 19th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Samford has more pretty women than Auburn or Alabama.

eagleskins
January 19th, 2006, 06:47 PM
GSU has got Ugay blown out of the water on that category, also.

HiHiYikas
January 19th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Let's say you are a stud I-AA and I-AA recruiting was on the national level...
That would make me, by an immense margin, the best football player in the history of my high school.

Is there anybody else for whom that would also be the case?

colgate13
January 20th, 2006, 07:29 AM
That would make me, by an immense margin, the best football player in the history of my high school.

Is there anybody else for whom that would also be the case?

Nah. That would put me in the top 10, of which I like to think I was anyway! xlolx

To be number one at my high school, you'd have to had started for a school like Penn State. We had some studs! :nod:

Cocky
January 20th, 2006, 08:02 AM
I won't qualify as the best ever. We had a few All-America come throught my small high school.