PDA

View Full Version : The most important game for your team in 2010

crusader11
August 16th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I am piggybacking another thread where it was stated Chattanooga has their most important game in history (or something to that effect).

So, what is the most important game on your schedule? It can be an OOC game where a win against this opponent would be a big statement win for your program. It can be a conference game that could decide the league champion. Maybe it is a huge rivalry game.

For Holy Cross, I would argue that the UMASS game is the most important. Others may disagree, but this would be a big win against a name team for our program. I know UMASS has not been as strong as they usually in recent years, but beating UMASS will demonstrate just how far the program has come. Hell, around 2001 and 2002 Holy Cross was one of the worst teams in what was then D1-AA.

One could argue that games at Colgate and Lafayette are bigger as they have big implications for the league title, but quite frankly, every single Patriot League game has major implications.

What is the most important game for your school?

DFW HOYA
August 16th, 2010, 07:34 PM
September 25, Holy Cross at Georgetown. Not only is it the home opener, but it's Homecoming for a team which has dropped 19 of its last 20.

Georgetown has never lost four Homecoming games in a row in school history (with Homecoming games dating to 1925), but this team has now lost three straight. If you're going to make a positive impact upon the alumni in a time of PL uncertainty with Georgetown, now would be the time.

slostang
August 16th, 2010, 07:44 PM
For Cal Poly it has to be Sept. 11th at home against Montana. After that game Cal Poly goes on the road for 5 staight weeks. Sure would be nice to go with a win against #2 Montana. Lose that game and we would have to win at least 3 or 4 of the road games if we wanted to have any chance at the playoffs.

UAalum72
August 16th, 2010, 07:49 PM
It's always the next one

slostang
August 16th, 2010, 08:14 PM
It's always the next one

We are fans here, we can look ahead. Coaches and players can not.

msusig
August 16th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Most Important: SFA (It might determine winner of conference)

Most Excited About: LSU (No explanation needed)

Looking forward to: Lamar (Time to renew a rivalry/1st game of season)
Cal Poly (Interesting out of conference game)

Sader87
August 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Agree with crusader11...of all the games on the schedule, a HC win over UMass would probably be the most meaningful as it would represent to many that indeed "the Cross is back." No disrespect to our PL and Ivy bretheren, but that's the game that would "wake up" long dormant alumni and local CMass fans.

Bogus Megapardus
August 16th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Agree with crusader11...of all the games on the schedule, a HC win over UMass would probably be the most meaningful as it would represent to many that indeed "the Cross is back." No disrespect to our PL and Ivy bretheren, but that's the game that would "wake up" long dormant alumni and local CMass fans.

I agree that the UMass game hass to be the biggest for Holy Cross. I'll sure most PL fans would agree, too. A win in Amherst would be huge for you guys and for the PL as a whole.

MSUDuo
August 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM
September 25 at Illinois State. Win this one and you set yourself up with the chance to start 6-1 and the opportunity to make a run at the playoffs. Lose it and you drop to 1-2 most likely and have a tough YSU coming to town the next week followed by 2 road games.

NHwildEcat
August 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM
The biggest game for us would be the game at Pittsburgh. I mean they are ranked #15 in FBS. If UNH were to make a run at an upset or even upset Pitt we would make national headlines. My second pick would be the game against Villanova. We need to win that game, it will show the doubters that we still have the depth on our squad to beat anyone in FCS.

I cannot wait until kickoff in two and a half weeks.

DotCat
August 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM
The most important game for the Catamounts all season will be our next game. We need five wins minimum.

superman7515
August 16th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Week 4 vs Richmond. UD lost by 1 point last year and wishful thinking says that may have been what kept them from making the playoffs (what a time to miss one Striefsky). If they can pull it off, I see them going 7-4 and squeaking in. If not, it's another 6-5 season and the echoes get louder for Keeler's head (not saying I agree or disagree, just saying that's how it goes in Newark).

NovaWildcat
August 16th, 2010, 10:01 PM
The opener vs. Temple at the Linc. Temple is going to be very good this year (among the favorites to win the MAC), and a win over them would put us in the drivers seat for a playoff seed just like last year.

Most importantly, however, this game has major implications on the local media and the fan base. Could really win A LOT of people over by beating the Owls. This game is the big time for us.

ngineer
August 16th, 2010, 10:03 PM

I fully agree. Lehigh's most important game is September 4 at Drake. A very good team returning alot of personnel from an 8-3 team. Any 'looking ahead' at the Villanova game will result in a big trouble in Des Moines.

bjtheflamesfan
August 16th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Id say the most important is a tossup between JMU on 9/25 and Ball State the week after the ST Fran opener...Ball State is an FBS so a win over them would be big for the Flames, but JMU has won the last I think 4 meetings and to get a win over them would be big from an in-state standpoint, and be a statement game beating a team from one of the top conferences in the country in FCS

BJuice
August 16th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Our most important game is our first conference game against Liberty on October 9.

We believe we are legitimate contenders this year. Getting off to a strong Big South Conference start could send a major message to the rest of the conference that we are as good as we think we are. This will not be an easy task by any stretch. Winning in Lynchburg is very difficult. Winning against Liberty has been a major challenge, period. We have to be tough mentally and physically and we have to execute in every phase of the game.

We'll see. That game should be a great one!!!

SpiderInTheMixingBowl
August 17th, 2010, 01:41 AM
A lot of big CAA games for Richmond: UD (they will be coming for revenge), Villanova (last year was a heartbreaker), and JMU (oh man how I want to beat the Barneys every year).

But I think the season for the Spiders will depend on the FCS schedule bookends: Elon and W&M. I'll go ahead and pick Elon because a win would give some momentum to the new coach and young offense going into the CAA portion of the schedule. That said W&M is *the* rivalry game and will likely have big playoff implications.

All that said a win over our former coach at I-64 W would of course be awesome.

SFA 93
August 17th, 2010, 06:56 AM
McNeese State

AppStsGr8
August 17th, 2010, 07:20 AM
It's always the next one

I have to agree with you on that one. App's first game is huge - away game, conference matchup, totally new QB, definitely improving UTC opponent ... it's always the next game.

darell1976
August 17th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I have to agree with you on that one. App's first game is huge - away game, conference matchup, totally new QB, definitely improving UTC opponent ... it's always the next game.

For this year and next year its: Cal Poly, UC Davis, Southern Utah, and South Dakota.

Proud Griz Man
August 17th, 2010, 08:14 AM
For Cal Poly it has to be Sept. 11th at home against Montana. After that game Cal Poly goes on the road for 5 staight weeks. Sure would be nice to go with a win against #2 Montana. Lose that game and we would have to win at least 3 or 4 of the road games if we wanted to have any chance at the playoffs.

Montana has extremely challenging road games at Cal Poly SLO 9/11 and at Eastern Washington (cheney) the following week. I expect close games. xnodx

PhoenixPhan06
August 17th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I've thought about this one for a while and I'm still torn between the season opener at Duke and the 10/9 matchup at the Rock. A win in the Duke game would give us the FCS vs FBS upset and possible national recognition but a win against App St. could possibly give us that elusive SoCon title. Both games are going to be big and very important, but at this point, I'm going to have to go with App St. being the more important game of the 2010 season.

ur2k
August 17th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I'd say ours is Elon on 9/18. Home (Stadium) opener against a good team. With so many question marks going into the season, our first FCS game will be a good barometer for what our season may ultimately turn out to be.

PhoenixPhan06
August 17th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I'd say ours is Elon on 9/18. Home (Stadium) opener against a good team. With so many question marks going into the season, our first FCS game will be a good barometer for what our season may ultimately turn out to be.

I'm excited about this one as well. Wish I could be there bc the '09 playoff matchup was epic and I think this could turn into a nice rivalry in the future if we win a couple here and there

bonarae
August 17th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Since Ivy League games are same old same old over the past few years... xoopsx I think it has got to be Harvard-Penn. It'll determine the true Ivy champion for this year.

jhanel
August 17th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Most Important: Samford (This is the game that could give us our first win of the season and let the young kids know that they CAN win, after the 0-11 season )

Most Excited About: McNeese (Always great, and its at home and could be 3-1 heading into this game)

Looking forward to: SFA (Time to get the Largest Trophy in college football back)
North Dakota (Interesting out of conference game, we could be 3-1 after this game, and then play McNeese at home to go 4-1. That would make a great turnaround from last year.)

SpeedkingATL
August 17th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Totally agree.

McNeese75
August 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Most Important: Samford (This is the game that could give us our first win of the season and let the young kids know that they CAN win, after the 0-11 season )

Most Excited About: McNeese (Always great, and its at home and could be 3-1 heading into this game)

Looking forward to: SFA (Time to get the Largest Trophy in college football back)
North Dakota (Interesting out of conference game, we could be 3-1 after this game, and then play McNeese at home to go 4-1. That would make a great turnaround from last year.)

xrolleyesx Take a number xlolx

UCABEARS75
August 17th, 2010, 09:50 AM
While my first impulse would be to pick a conference game such as on the road vs. SFA or at home vs. SELA or McNeese I beleive that UCA's most important game this year will be on the road in week two vs. Eastern Illinois.

I say this because we will be such a young and inexperienced team this year and a game vs. a well thought of (picked 1st or 2nd in the OVC) opoponent will give us a great indication of where we are as a team before playing our "money game" (at Tulsa) and before the conference season starts.

OL FU
August 17th, 2010, 10:02 AM

But in this case in my opinion for Furman it is the first one. IF the games goes FUs way, then there will be more important ones. But the first game is at home against a top 25 PL Favorite Colgate. Stumble on that one and we will have a major hole to dig ourselves out of.

ngineer
August 17th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Since Ivy League games are same old same old over the past few years... xoopsx I think it has got to be Harvard-Penn. It'll determine the true Ivy champion for this year.

That implies there is a "false" Ivy Champion???xconfusedxxeyebrowx

PhoenixSupreme
August 17th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I actually think our most important game is not App. State but rather Furman on 11/13. I don't know how the schedule will play out, but I have a gut feeling both teams will need this win to secure their playoff invite. This is assuming Elon loses to Duke/App St. and Furman loses to SCar/App St., thus leaving each team with 2 losses before they play each other with 1 game after that.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 17th, 2010, 10:58 AM
The biggest game for us would be the game at Pittsburgh. I mean they are ranked #15 in FBS. If UNH were to make a run at an upset or even upset Pitt we would make national headlines. My second pick would be the game against Villanova. We need to win that game, it will show the doubters that we still have the depth on our squad to beat anyone in FCS.

I cannot wait until kickoff in two and a half weeks.

I'm going to look at this in a different way. The two games you mentioned are ones that most will expect UNH to lose and nobody will be surprised if UNH loses. To make the playoffs, I'm guessing that UNH will need to win at either JMU or Maine so those games are important. But to me the two most important games are W&M and UMass. While we need to get a major league monkey off our back by beating the Tribe, the most important game of the season IMO is UMass for a couple of reasons.

First, UNH's most successful seasons include wins over UMass -- 1975 and 1976 D-II Playoff teams, 2005 D-IAA top seeded team, 1991 and 1995 Yankee Conference champions and D-IAA Playoff teams, etc. Second and maybe for the long term success of the program, this year's game is being played at Gillette Stadium where a big crowd is anticipated. Beating the Minutemen will resonate within the alumni/fan base at Gillette and should greatly assist fund raising, enrollment in the Cat Club, etc. On the gridiron, it will be a taking care of business win needed to make the playoffs.

Of course, if UNH doesn't take care of business at home against CCSU, Lehigh and Richmond as well as down at Rhody, it's all a moot point.

lionsrking2
August 17th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Our most important game will be divided and distributed seven different ways, though I'd say our fan base is most looking forward to the opener at Tulane...it's the first game of the year, it's in the Dome, against an FBS opponent we have a chance to beat.

SalukiJim
August 17th, 2010, 11:10 AM
While the matchup with SDSU will be a showdown of the preseason #1 and #2 MVFC teams, I'm really intrigued by our matchup vs. Illinois State - are they as up-and-coming as it sounds? Are they a real contender? A high powered offense led by a promising young QB for the Redbirds, vs. the established MVFC leader. Should be a great intra-state game!

ysubigred
August 17th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Penn State. Ohio vs. PA thing xhurrayxxsmileyclapx Actually, just to score a TD against an 1BCS team since Tressel left would be sweet xrulesx

OL FU
August 17th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I actually think our most important game is not App. State but rather Furman on 11/13. I don't know how the schedule will play out, but I have a gut feeling both teams will need this win to secure their playoff invite. This is assuming Elon loses to Duke/App St. and Furman loses to SCar/App St., thus leaving each team with 2 losses before they play each other with 1 game after that.

It is certainly important, but one difference I think 8-3 in the Socon this year gets you in the playoffs especially this years expanded version.

My prediction has been 8-3 for FU and in the playoffs. just my humber opinion.

McNeese72
August 17th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I think the most important game for the team, as someone has already said, is the NEXT game. For the fans, the most interesting game, to see where we stand, will be the Cal Poly game.

Doc

WrenFGun
August 17th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Agree with Wildcat Alum in CT..

The biggest game is the UMass game. We need to win that game in Foxboro Stadium. The second biggest one is at Maine, as it simply has huge playoff implications. As the first of a six game stretch, losing to Maine would put us in bad, bad shape for the rest of the season, IMO.

PhoenixSupreme
August 17th, 2010, 12:10 PM
It is certainly important, but one difference I think 8-3 in the Socon this year gets you in the playoffs especially this years expanded version.

My prediction has been 8-3 for FU and in the playoffs. just my humber opinion.

I actually forgot about the expansion but I still see it as ultimately important in terms of being one of the 8 potential play-in teams for the 20-team bracket.

OL FU
August 17th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I actually forgot about the expansion but I still see it as ultimately important in terms of being one of the 8 potential play-in teams for the 20-team bracket.

There has been some talk on the uffp that 7-4 would get us in (not everyone). I don't even want to consider it. First 7-4 just means you have to bite your nails for a maybe and 7-4 could mean we finish fourth in the conference and I just don't see 4 SoCon teams without a lot of chips falling into the right places.

RabidRabbit
August 17th, 2010, 01:36 PM
The biggest SDSU game will be the Delaware game 9/11. Win that, the Jacks will likely be in the play-offs. Lose and they will be battling all season to get back to the play-offs.

In conference, only one team has not lost to the Jacks in MVFC play, and that is SIU. A win at SIU would likely be the MVFC title game, like it was in '09.

For home games, the IL St game is crucial.

Nice to see another of the ex-NCC teams (UND) into Brookings to close out the regular season.

AggieFinn
August 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM
In past years I wouldn't hesitate to say 11/13/10 @ Cal Poly, HOWEVER, it has been two straight years the Ags have come up short against Sac State...and given the emotion of the Causeway Classic in Sac last season, that is a must win game for Coach Biggs and Co. at HOME on 11/20/10.

http://www.csus.edu/bulletin/bulletin111609/football1.jpg

Oldhen
August 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM
The biggest SDSU game will be the Delaware game 9/11.

I have to think UD's biggest game is SDSU.

Beyond our QB and a deep set of WR's, nobody knows how the O will pan out. The OL and RB's have been big disappointments for several years. TE's are unknowns, and they figure big in the O. The OL is due to step up, and has some quality youth, but quality fourth and fifth year players get you to the playoffs, and we're conspicuously lacking there. On D, the back seven look solid, the DL is another questionmark.

If we have an edge, it'll be playing at home, with a game under our belts, against an SDSU team that will be breaking in some new faces.

UD's team could be special with a high-quality QB who knows the O and has some folks to throw to... or he could be undermined again by underachievers everywhere else in the O. We just don't know, and SDSU is going to tell us a lot about who we are.

That'll come in handy with the absolutley BRUTAL road schedule.

Go...gate
August 17th, 2010, 03:27 PM
It's always the next one.

Yep. For Colgate, it is Monmouth.

Go...gate
August 17th, 2010, 03:28 PM
That implies there is a "false" Ivy Champion???xconfusedxxeyebrowx

Wasn't that 4-0 Lafayette this past season?

OL FU
August 17th, 2010, 04:38 PM

Gate, do you think the Syracuse game will be a distraction when you play us. Don't think I am fishing for a hoped for response. I think the South Carolina game might be for us (we have them the next week). But I am hopeful that since Colgate is our first game, they will not be looking toward the the big boys.

JBB
August 17th, 2010, 04:50 PM
We are going to need a win over SDSU and probably some help to win the conference this year. Our team is too young to expect it to walk on through without help. Depending on how well NDSU does the most important game to us might be UNI/SIU.

TheValleyRaider
August 17th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Gate, do you think the Syracuse game will be a distraction when you play us. Don't think I am fishing for a hoped for response. I think the South Carolina game might be for us (we have them the next week). But I am hopeful that since Colgate is our first game, they will not be looking toward the the big boys.

I don't think it will be. Furman is enough of a name that the road trip should certainly keep their attention. Plus, we have a bye between that one and Syracuse. Plenty of time to think about and prep for the Dome

As for most important game, I'll agree with Go...gate that it's Monmouth, but for a slightly different reason. After the Hawks, we've got trips to Furman and Syracuse staring us in the face. Lose to Monmouth, and there's a very very real chance we start 0-3. With the whole Patriot League schedule to go, it's not debilitating, but certainly deflating

RabidRabbit
August 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I have to think UD's biggest game is SDSU.

Beyond our QB and a deep set of WR's, nobody knows how the O will pan out. The OL and RB's have been big disappointments for several years. TE's are unknowns, and they figure big in the O. The OL is due to step up, and has some quality youth, but quality fourth and fifth year players get you to the playoffs, and we're conspicuously lacking there. On D, the back seven look solid, the DL is another questionmark.

If we have an edge, it'll be playing at home, with a game under our belts, against an SDSU team that will be breaking in some new faces.

UD's team could be special with a high-quality QB who knows the O and has some folks to throw to... or he could be undermined again by underachievers everywhere else in the O. We just don't know, and SDSU is going to tell us a lot about who we are.

That'll come in handy with the absolutley BRUTAL road schedule.

The last two seasons, the Jacks opened their FCS play with well respected opponents, Youngstown St. (08), then Ga. Southern (09), and proceeded to win very lop-sided victories, but those games were played at Brookings. I'll be on hand for this Del/SDSU game, and I expect this to be a nail-biter that will come down to a last second long FG attempt. Man can this season PLEASE GET HERE!!!

heath
August 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM
JMU will be 1-1 heading into Sept.25th. The 3rd game of the year vs. Liberty in Harrisonburg is the most important game because the Dukes have to win and be 2-1 heading into the Delaware game if a playoff appearance is possible.

GoAgs72
August 17th, 2010, 06:19 PM
For UC Davis, I would have to say Cal Poly. Beating the last place team in the Great West is the only way for any of the other teams in the conference to get any real respect. AggieFinn, winning the Causeway Classic against Sac State is the emotional pick but I've actually kind of lost interest in them since our first goal is winning the conference title. It must go both ways, one Sac State fan actually called the UC Davis game "the Aggie game" instead of the usual derogatory name recently on their web site. Winning either one of our FBS games would also be an emotional high.

MR. CHICKEN
August 17th, 2010, 06:51 PM
The biggest SDSU game will be the Delaware game 9/11. Win that, the Jacks will likely be in the play-offs. Lose and they will be battling all season to get back to the play-offs.

In conference, only one team has not lost to the Jacks in MVFC play, and that is SIU. A win at SIU would likely be the MVFC title game, like it was in '09.

For home games, the IL St game is crucial.

Nice to see another of the ex-NCC teams (UND) into Brookings to close out the regular season.

AH'M WHIFF YA...ON DAT...RABBIT...IFIN' WE WIN IT...COOD BE DUH CATALYST...TA PROPEL US...THRU DUH CAA MEAT-GRINDER...xnodx...AWK!

Go...gate
August 17th, 2010, 07:14 PM

I really don't. Biddle is good at getting the team up for each game (except openers, where we spin our wheels). The Furman and SU games will both be seen by Colgate as highly challenging. How many lettermen and starters will return for Furman?

carney2
August 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM
At Lafayette the first response to the question "What is the most important game this year?" is always, "You mean except for Lehigh, don't you?" Of those 10 preseason games, I nominate Colgate out there in November as probably the most important. For the past few years this question would have been answered with an OOC game, a "show me" game, one that proves the mettle of that year's team. This year I have only so-so expectations for the OOC portion of the schedule as it is fairly difficult and the Pards have a lot of holes to fill, having graduated something like 27 from last year's team. If coach Tavani has whipped the troops into a contender by mid October, Colgate up on the tundra will be a formidable challenge and probably a must win game.

ngineer
August 17th, 2010, 09:52 PM

OK, I understand.

ODUsmitty
August 17th, 2010, 10:23 PM
New to the forum.

I think most ODU fans are amped for the William and Mary game, but I think the Cal Poly game is the most important and winnable (of the two). WM has heard repeatedly from local fans about the great startup season and high (probably overly) expectations for ODU. Cal-Poly will be at the tail end of a brutal road stretch when they arrive in Norfolk, and could be available for an upset.

slostang
August 17th, 2010, 11:14 PM
For UC Davis, I would have to say Cal Poly. Beating the last place team in the Great West is the only way for any of the other teams in the conference to get any real respect. AggieFinn, winning the Causeway Classic against Sac State is the emotional pick but I've actually kind of lost interest in them since our first goal is winning the conference title. It must go both ways, one Sac State fan actually called the UC Davis game "the Aggie game" instead of the usual derogatory name recently on their web site. Winning either one of our FBS games would also be an emotional high.

By last place team I assume you mean three time Great West Champion Cal Poly. A team that has been ranked at the end of the season every year from 2003 to 2008. How many times have the Aggies been ranked in the FCS/I-AA at the end of a season?

JMUNJ08
August 17th, 2010, 11:19 PM
JMU will be 1-1 heading into Sept.25th. The 3rd game of the year vs. Liberty in Harrisonburg is the most important game because the Dukes have to win and be 2-1 heading into the Delaware game if a playoff appearance is possible.

There are SOOO many choices with conference games. I will 1/2 agree with you and say UD is just as important. Last year we had an expected 2-1 start but flopped at Hofstra which threw us into a tailspin. If we can win both, playoffs are definitely within site by beating two playoff caliber teams. Holding serve at home will be extremely important...

glsjunior
August 18th, 2010, 01:02 AM
For us I believe the Jax St. game is the most important. I believe that we will have little trouble with Shorter and Lambuth, but the Jax St. game will give us an indication of if were ready to play big boy football.

GoAgs72
August 18th, 2010, 01:15 AM
SloStang, wrong Cal Poly. I'm talking about the Cal Poly that is one win behind us in the series record.

Big Dawg
August 18th, 2010, 04:30 AM
For FAMU, I would say EVERY GAME!!! I say every game because the MEAC has become a one-bid league over the past decade. We need to beat and DEMOLISH every team we play this season.

If I HAD to choose one game, I would say South Carolina State...after dominating the series with the Bulldogs for years, the Bulldogs have won 7 in a row over us to cut FAMU's series lead to 29-19-2...the Bulldogs have also dominated the MEAC over the past two seasons, and in order for the Rattlers to reach the top, we MUST beat SCSU.

Something that is really interesting is that FAMU's first home game isn't until October 2nd against SCSU...should be a good one.

OL FU
August 18th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I don't think it will be. Furman is enough of a name that the road trip should certainly keep their attention. Plus, we have a bye between that one and Syracuse. Plenty of time to think about and prep for the Dome

As for most important game, I'll agree with Go...gate that it's Monmouth, but for a slightly different reason. After the Hawks, we've got trips to Furman and Syracuse staring us in the face. Lose to Monmouth, and there's a very very real chance we start 0-3. With the whole Patriot League schedule to go, it's not debilitating, but certainly deflating

Didn't realize you had the bye. That certainly helps.

JaxSinfonian
August 18th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Jax State's most important game will be against Eastern Illinois, I think. It's become clear that we have to beat them to win the conference title (even though last year's loss didn't keep JSU from having the best record in the OVC, we were still ineligible for the title).

After that, I think the Chattanooga game is the next-most important. Should the Gamecocks wind up one win short of the autobid, an early non-conference win against what appears to be a resurgent Mocs squad will go a long way toward an argument for an at-large spot. Looked at another way, this game could be considered the most important. The Sept. 11 date is the first home game at the newly-expanded and renamed Burgess-Snow Field, an expensive project about which there has been a fair bit of hand-wringing. Regardless of any skepticism, there ought to be a large crowd on hand to check out the new digs. An exciting win could keep them coming back, while a loss could be a big let-down. The size of that crowd will let us know the success of the program's stepped-up marketing efforts.

Of course, all that assumes victories against all the other opponents (except Ole Miss), a dangerous assumption indeed. The two games above could mean a lot less with a loss to even one more team on the schedule. So yeah, they're all crucial.

OL FU
August 18th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I really don't. Biddle is good at getting the team up for each game (except openers, where we spin our wheels). The Furman and SU games will both be seen by Colgate as highly challenging. How many lettermen and starters will return for Furman?

12 Starters returning evenly split between O and D. Not sure about lettermen but my guess is alot. Other than QB we shuffled players in and out pretty well. Offense we have to replace a couple of O line men and receivers, but the receivers who will be starting were in on many plays. Best reciever Mims is back. Big question is the QB which of course we got some pub for with Forcier coming in. My guess is that the O will be better than last year and better than our 08 team.

Defense is once again the question. It has been my opinion that we had the talent but the schemes and aggressiveness just wasn't there. We have a New D coordinator, so things are hopeful and early predictions is that the D will be better. Should be interesting. My recollection is that you guys got off to a slow start in 08 which is one of the reasons the score looked worse than it did. Here's to you guys having another slow startxsmiley_wix

OL FU
August 18th, 2010, 06:44 AM
New to the forum.

I think most ODU fans are amped for the William and Mary game, but I think the Cal Poly game is the most important and winnable (of the two). WM has heard repeatedly from local fans about the great startup season and high (probably overly) expectations for ODU. Cal-Poly will be at the tail end of a brutal road stretch when they arrive in Norfolk, and could be available for an upset.

Welcome to the board

Sycamore51
August 18th, 2010, 12:05 PM
For the Syc's this year the first game off against St. Joesph is the most important. Win that and hopefully you can carry momentum and have a decent showing against Cinci and you have your next two games against Western Ill and Quency. Lose it and you have a long year, again!

wapiti
August 18th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Aside from the NC game. Our most important game will be against the same team that has been the most important game for over a 100 years. Cat/Griz.

drpnut
August 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM
For the Wofford TErriers-- our first game at Ohio-- reason-- we sucked last year and finished 3-8. If we go to Athens, Ohio and give the bobcats a game, it gives us much needed confidence. If we play the way we did in the first half of the USF game last year, we have a chance to pull the upset.

coover
August 18th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I have to agree with slostang. The most important game of the 2010 season will be Montana. This game will define the Mustangs.

The first game with Division II Humboldt State (Poly really has a tough time getting OOC opponents to play in SLO) won't give much information on how good this team really is ... if it is a blow out, Cal Poly should have blown them out. If it is close ... (the game really won't count for the DI win count) ... Poly probably played the game like a scrimmage, giving lots of 2nd and 3rd string game time.

But the Montana game will really tell the world where the Mustangs are this season. There are other important games ... all Great West games are important. And the Fresno State game will probably get some national coverage (though the East Coast will never hear about it because of time differences). But the truth is, since Poly has only 9 games vs. DI FCS teams (and one vs. an FBS), every single DI game will be extremely important if Poly expects to get into the playoffs. Assuming a win against Humboldt St., a 7 - 4 record will still not be good enough. This team has to go 8 - 3 to even think about a 12th game.

Seawolf97
August 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM
For StonyBrook no doubt the last game of the season at Liberty. I expect both teams will do well in Big South play so the winner on 11/20 gets the AQ. 2nd is our home game against Umass seems evcerybody's favorite to try and beat this year. Lastly I just hope we put points on the board on 9/4 at South Florida, our first ever BCS opponent.

Brad82
August 18th, 2010, 08:48 PM
For Rhody-any one of first four will be a make or break deal.
Same as last year-need to go 2-2 or 3-1 in first 4 or will be another long season

UNCBears2010
August 19th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I think for UNC, it's the 10/9 game against Sac State. I'd say the 9/11 game at Weber but I don't know how winnable that one is. That said, it looks like we'll be 2-3 headed into the Sac State game, and winning it would be a big step in getting out of the Big Sky cellar.

R3TRO
August 19th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I'm going to go with the W&M game. We need to get over that hump, where we have stumbled so many times in the past.

Jiggs
August 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM
at Elon - October 2nd.

LeadBolt
August 19th, 2010, 11:46 AM
It's cliche, and has been stated by others, but it is always the next one. There are not many, if any teams on the schedule that can't beat us, if we are looking past them and don't take them seriously. We will need every win we can manage to make the playoffs, then the same thing applies even more so.

The Cats
August 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM
The most important game for the Catamounts all season will be our next game. We need five wins minimum.

You're right of course, but I think the Gardner-Webb game will tell us a lot about getting those 5 or 6 wins.

GoAgs72
August 19th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Coover - Cal Poly and UC Davis would both be in better shape if we could avoid all FBS and DII games like Montana usually does. Why schedule games you are likely to lose that are not FCS and games that don't count. At least you might make some money with FBS games. With the Great West having so few members we get stuck with what we can come up with for OOC games.

THE HERD
August 19th, 2010, 03:13 PM
The biggest game is easily UNI. Its the second game of the season and it is in their house, so if the Bison can pull off a win there it would really set the tone for the whole year and give a very young team some confidence going into the meat of the MVFC schedule. If we lose that one we would most likely be 0-2, since we play Kansas the first game, and we would be in a pretty deep hole just two games into the season. I believe UNI is the only team in the MVFC that the Bison haven't won against, since our transition to DI, so we gotta be due to get er done!

OL FU
August 19th, 2010, 04:17 PM
The biggest game is easily UNI. Its the second game of the season and it is in their house, so if the Bison can pull off a win there it would really set the tone for the whole year and give a very young team some confidence going into the meat of the MVFC schedule. If we lose that one we would most likely be 0-2, since we play Kansas the first game, and we would be in a pretty deep hole just two games into the season. I believe UNI is the only team in the MVFC that the Bison haven't won against, since our transition to DI, so we gotta be due to get er done!

You know every time I see your user name I throw up a little in my mouth. And then I see your helmet and know it is okxrotatehxxthumbsupx

HensRock
August 19th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I will echo some of the others here that Delaware's most important game is SDSU, and I'm not surprised if the feeling is mutual on their end.
I see a lot of similarities in the football tradition of these programs. Both teams are ranked and are expected to do well this season. Both teams have tough road schedules:
SDSU: @Nebrask, @UNI, @SIU, UD: @Richmond, @JMU, @W&M. Both team's OOC schedule leaves little room for error (for different reasons) Nebraska will be a loss for SDSU, and the selection comittee will not be impressed by UD victories over West Chester and Duquesne. Conference play will be tough for both schools as always...

That leaves this game. Both teams need it. Both teams want it.
#9 SDSU at #15/16 Delaware.
I'm really looking forward to this one as it will be a bell-weather game for both squads.

Spider
August 19th, 2010, 04:42 PM
all of them......

Eaglesrus
August 19th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Elon 9/25. I'll be on the field pre-game being recognized as a retiring alumni advisory board member, but believe it or not that's not why it's important; we'll have played Savannah State (if we don't win just chalk us up as the worst in FCS), Navy (okay, they're FBS and they've been running this offense how long, while this is our second game) and Coastal Carolina (non-conference, away, hope we do well, but it's a warm-up). Then we have Elon; will we be able to compete in the SoCon? We'll find out on 9/25.

kdinva
August 20th, 2010, 08:57 AM
The next one on the schedule........Sept. 4th. The Keydets will focus on W&M on Sept. 5th.xreadx

Ivytalk
August 20th, 2010, 08:58 AM
At Penn in November. Always a tough place to play.

DOME
August 20th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Most important game? SIU, now that the homefield advantage curse is broken I'm excited to go in there and get a win.

Most jacked about 9/25 UNI playing @ Iowa St. While their coach looks to be making some good moves, they are still ISU and last time we went in there we:
A. Won
B. Set Jack Trice's attendance record
C. Rushed their field

Already have my bed reserved.

And as always I'll be pretty excited to beat UNH in the playoffs...again.