PDA

View Full Version : TSU adds Lambert to staff (From Illinois St)

bigbluetiger
January 17th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Redbirds/Gatewayers,

Any thoughts on Lambert?

TSU adds Lambert to staff

Defensive coordinator comes from Illinois St.

By MAURICE PATTON
Staff Writer

Ron Lambert, for the last three seasons the defensive coordinator at Illinois State, has been hired to fill the same position at Tennessee State, Tigers Coach James Webster announced yesterday.

Part of Lambert's appeal was that in each of the last three seasons Illinois State defeated Eastern Illinois, which in turn swept through Ohio Valley Conference play undefeated in 2005. Included in EIU's perfect league mark was a 27-3 victory over TSU.

ZIP code where you park at night:

Do you currently have auto insurance? Yes No

Have you had a U.S. driver's license for more than 3 years? Yes No

Has any driver in your household had 2 or more accidents or moving violations in the last 3 years? Yes No

"You have to be impressed with the team that beat the team that won your conference," Webster said yesterday in confirming Lambert's appointment, pending approval by the university's human resources department. "

Familiarity, on a couple of fronts, was a major factor in Lambert's hiring at TSU.

Webster was an assistant at Wake Forest when Lambert played there as a defensive back in 1989-92.

Lambert is familiar with the OVC. He not only was a key part of the team that beat Eastern Illinois three straight times, but he also spent three seasons as secondary coach at Eastern Illinois before joining the Illinois State staff.

"Ron was a good player, really hustled, worked hard, attentive," Webster said. "You could tell he was going to be a good coach. He's a smart guy. He's an excellent recruiter."

In addition to Illinois State's 27-6 victory over Eastern Illinois last fall, Lambert's ISU defense also led the way in a 61-35 victory over then-No. 1 Southern Illinois — another of his previous stops.

Under Lambert, the Redbirds in 2005 allowed 21.3 points, 148 rushing yards and 195.1 passing yards per game en route to a 7-4 record and a fourth-place finish in the Gateway Conference.

"Obviously, Nashville is a great place and a great city, and I'm a Southern guy. This is a new challenge and a fresh start," said Lambert, a native of Fort Lauderdale, Fla. "I've wanted to work my way back east and south. This is a great opportunity to coach at a university where I've got some connections. (TSU) President (Dr. Melvin) Johnson is a longtime family friend, so I've got some connections there.

"I was at Eastern Illinois when Tennessee State was the best team in that conference, so I know firsthand what that program is capable of. This is a chance to help resurrect a program that's a little down, and I think everything's in place for it to get back — the players, the coaches and the administration."

Though the Tigers finished 2-9 last fall (1-6 OVC), Webster maintains that the defense will not require an overhaul when Lambert officially replaces former defensive coordinator Orlando Mitjans. TSU finished fourth in the league in scoring defense (27.3 ppg), sixth in rushing defense (165.5 yards/game), third in passing defense (173.4 yards/game) and third in total defense (338.9 yards/game).

"Statistically, we were No. 1 in total defense (in the league) heading into our last game and we wound up third, so there's not a lot wrong with our defense," Webster said. "I don't expect to change a lot. He'll bring a lot of new ideas, a lot of fresh ideas, and familiarity with the top team in our conference."

Lambert, who will coach the defensive secondary, expects to arrive on campus next week.

Webster said the offensive coordinator's vacancy, created by the resignation of Jeff Braxton, will not be filled before the end of this week.

Maurice Patton can be reached at [email protected] or 615-259-8018.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060117/SPORTS0604/601170347/1038

bosshogg
January 17th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Looks like an interesting hire

bigbluetiger
January 17th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Interesting! I want to know if he's any good?

bandl
January 17th, 2006, 03:05 PM
ZIP code where you park at night:

Do you currently have auto insurance? Yes No

Have you had a U.S. driver's license for more than 3 years? Yes No

Has any driver in your household had 2 or more accidents or moving violations in the last 3 years? Yes No

What the ?????

bigbluetiger
January 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM
What the ?????
?????? I'm not quite sure I know where you are going?

Reed Rothchild
January 17th, 2006, 05:25 PM
He always had a lot of talent at Ill St and they were always very physical. He always knew how to shut us down whenever we went to Normal.

Golden Eagle
January 18th, 2006, 04:45 PM
What the ?????

He copied and pasted the article and didn't remove the ad in the middle of it.