PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown-Lafayette Sellout?

DFW HOYA
August 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I would like to find a way to swing a day-night doubleheader with the Engineers hosting Villanova and ending up at Fisher for Lafayette-Georgetown. Is a sellout expected?

I'm not sure how many Hoyas fans will be around to see either.

A decade ago, I traveled to Worcester where Georgetown brought almost 1,000 fans to Fitton Field, including a parent that chartered a bus for the family just to see their son play QB. Hoyas 34, Crusaders 16...good times. Now? Well, Georgetown didn't even sell road tickets last season, and there weren't more than 20-25 at the Old Dominion game, the closest road game to campus last year.

Rest assured the Lafayette game will get no local writer traveling from Washington and with the record of the GU program what it is right now, there's just zero awareness left outside the web and the campus newspaper. We'll see if the LSN announcers can manage to say something positive on the Hoyas, or otherwise move to interviews with the Lafayette women's cross country teams in the 2nd quarter.

Thoughts on the game?

Bogus Megapardus
August 15th, 2010, 04:41 PM
We'll see if the LSN announcers can manage to say something positive on the Hoyas.

When the LSN team is on the clock only for Lafayette (and not syndicated for the opponent as well or for ESPN) they have only two speeds: Homer and Extra-Homer. I watched a game with a Penn alum last year. She said, "could those announcers get any more biased?" I replied, "with a little more practice, I believe they could."

The local press will not be your friends. But if the Hoyas come up and shock everyone, they'll give credit where credit is due.

DFW HOYA
August 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM
The local press will not be your friends.

Kind of like Ed Laubach's column today?

"One game separated last year's champion, Holy Cross, from the league's other powers Lafayette, Colgate and Lehigh. This year's champion will come from the same group. Bucknell is learning new systems from first-year coach Joe Susan; Fordham, which has gone to scholarships, isn't eligible for the champion's automatic NCAA playoff berth; and there is no reason to believe Georgetown isn't the same old Georgetown."

Now there's an open minded preview...

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1281758953196940.xml&coll=3

Bogus Megapardus
August 15th, 2010, 04:55 PM
All that means is that the Hoyas will be way under the radar when they come up and put their new-fangled offense on display. I fully expect Georgetown to annihilate Davidson the week before without having to reveal too many of the new offensive wrinkles.

Georgetown is playing a lot of inexperienced underclassmen, however. I think the key to Georgetown success is going to have to be a big play scheme that puts a lot of points up early, while catching the Pards spending too much time shaking off rust and flipping through their defensive formation cheat sheets. I don't think the Hoyas want to be in a grind-it-out affair in the fourth quarter.

I would expect an aerial attach from the Hoyas, but I'm not too sure who the QB is going to be, let alone the receivers. Georgetown isn't saying, so who knows what they have in store. To me, this looks like a classic Coach T. run the ball first and last kind of game for Lafayette.

Franks Tanks
August 15th, 2010, 06:31 PM
It wont be a sellout, but a crowd of about 8k would be expected. I may do the Lehigh/Lafayette double dip as well on the 11th if my wife allows.

Sader87
August 15th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I would like to find a way to swing a day-night doubleheader with the Engineers hosting Villanova and ending up at Fisher for Lafayette-Georgetown. Is a sellout expected?

I'm not sure how many Hoyas fans will be around to see either.

A decade ago, I traveled to Worcester where Georgetown brought almost 1,000 fans to Fitton Field, including a parent that chartered a bus for the family just to see their son play QB. Hoyas 34, Crusaders 16...good times. Now? Well, Georgetown didn't even sell road tickets last season, and there weren't more than 20-25 at the Old Dominion game, the closest road game to campus last year.

Rest assured the Lafayette game will get no local writer traveling from Washington and with the record of the GU program what it is right now, there's just zero awareness left outside the web and the campus newspaper. We'll see if the LSN announcers can manage to say something positive on the Hoyas, or otherwise move to interviews with the Lafayette women's cross country teams in the 2nd quarter.

Thoughts on the game?

Quite possibly the nadir of HC football....

Bogus Megapardus
August 15th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Quite possibly the nadir of HC football....

Awww, Sader87, don't begrudge DFW his reminiscences. They are very few and far between, and you guys are the reigning champs, after all . . . . xrolleyesx

Sader87
August 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Awww, Sader87, don't begrudge DFW his reminiscences. They are very few and far between, and you guys are the reigning champs, after all . . . . xrolleyesx

When they deign to play us in basketball again, I'll then stop picking on the Hoyas.

Bogus Megapardus
August 15th, 2010, 07:38 PM
When they deign to play us in basketball again, I'll then stop picking on the Hoyas.

Georgetown clobbered us in basketball last year. Don't think that there isn't just a small amount of retribution to be taken by punishing them mightily on the 11th.