PDA

View Full Version : Ga State - The AJC lowers expectations for the Panthers

The Cats
August 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Someone at the AJC must be reading the posts of Ga State fans on various message boards, and has attempted to bring some sensibility to Panther fans expectations.

"There are five components that I will use to measure success for the first season, and they are all equally important. For me, success is seeing coach Curry and his staff successfully lead the team for 11 games. It is seeing 90 young men mold into a cohesive, passionate team. It will be seeing our new marching band on the field playing our new fight song. It will be seeing the fans and alumni fill the lower level of the Dome, and it will be seeing thousands of GSU students screaming and cheering passionately for their Panthers football team. "

But what about wins you ask?

"This season will not be defined by wins and losses."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/viewpoint-measuring-success-of-591675.html

GA St. MBB Fan
August 13th, 2010, 09:17 PM
This is not new news. President Becker stated something similar in the Atlanta Magazine article.

The whole quote:

This season will not be defined by wins and losses. ... That’s not to say we don’t want to win, and we expect to win our share of games. Bill is one of the most competitive people I know, and I’m just as competitive. We don’t like to lose. However, the team is young and a little lean, but Bill will have them prepared to win every game, and the team will go out every week with that mentality.

Most of our fans will be "satisfied" if we win 7 games. Looking at our schedule, is that unreasonable? http://www.panthertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?970-How-many-wins-will-it-take-to-satisfy-you

JMUNJ08
August 13th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Most of our fans will be "satisfied" if we win 7 games. Looking at our schedule, is that unreasonable? http://www.panthertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?970-How-many-wins-will-it-take-to-satisfy-you

Not unreasonable but I think 5-6 with the rest being competitive should give you guys a good footing. 7 i think is the MAX looking at the schedule unless you are hiding some heisman candidate behind closed doors.

Eaglesrus
August 14th, 2010, 07:47 AM
So, I finally visited Panthertalk by way of the above link. Very interesting. Here's a quote from Mr. Bray:

"We have a team. If we lose every game by a 100 that is still awesome. 10 years ago people dreamed of fielding a team and now you are telling me that 7 or 8 wins in our first year is what it will take to satisfy you?

After watching them practice for over a year I can tell you personally just seeing them wear game uni's and hitting someone from another team will put a ear to ear smile on my face.

There is plenty of room for more opinions and fans at GSU than precious Saint..."

Finally something reasonable from a GA State fan and he gets attacked and told to stop posting by Saint. I did enjoy this quote from Saint, however:

"Anyway, to say that Furman's overall talent is just as good as ours is a stretch at best."

McNeese75
August 14th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Glad to hear there are a few GS fans with some sanity and not all of them are drinking the saint kool-aid. They seem an lot like the Marshall posters used to be but without anything to back it up at this point.

SaintDK10
August 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Not unreasonable but I think 5-6 with the rest being competitive should give you guys a good footing. 7 i think is the MAX looking at the schedule unless you are hiding some heisman candidate behind closed doors.
I would be very happy with 7, but anything beyond that is gravy.

Franks Tanks
August 14th, 2010, 02:59 PM
So, I finally visited Panthertalk by way of the above link. Very interesting. Here's a quote from Mr. Bray:

"We have a team. If we lose every game by a 100 that is still awesome. 10 years ago people dreamed of fielding a team and now you are telling me that 7 or 8 wins in our first year is what it will take to satisfy you?

After watching them practice for over a year I can tell you personally just seeing them wear game uni's and hitting someone from another team will put a ear to ear smile on my face.

There is plenty of room for more opinions and fans at GSU than precious Saint..."

Finally something reasonable from a GA State fan and he gets attacked and told to stop posting by Saint. I did enjoy this quote from Saint, however:

"Anyway, to say that Furman's overall talent is just as good as ours is a stretch at best."

Who is saying that Georgia State has better talent than Furman? Was that intended to be a joke?

Hammer22
August 14th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I'll be happy being above .500