PDA

View Full Version : Eugene's Weight Continues to Fall

TexasTerror
January 16th, 2006, 06:38 AM
19 pounds down. 38 pounds to go. He's making progress for sure...

GSU senior quarterback Bruce "The Big Easy" Eugene is training in Phoenix in advance of the NFL Combine and Draft. He reportedly hopes to get his weight down to 240. After two weeks in the program, he'd gone from a reported title-game total of 297 pounds to 278. ...

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060116/SPORTS/601160329/1006

Tribe4SF
January 16th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I love how the coverage of Grambling is always larger than life. The article says they signed 41 recruits last year on signing day. That's interesting since there are only 21 freshmen on their roster, and only 79 players on the team.

What happened to all those guys? :rolleyes:

Mr. C
January 16th, 2006, 11:01 AM
What is even more incredible is this quote:

"Give them a ring: GSU coaches have approved a SWAC championship ring designed by Jostens.

The ring is gold, with a black-embossed No. 1 in the center surrounding by jewels. One side is inscribed "national champions," with Grambling's familiar "G" logo and the football team's 11-1 record. The other side will feature the player or coach's name and position, along with "SWAC."

Isn't it stretching the truth a bit to say that the Grambling Tigers are "national champions." If they want to say Black national champions, or HBCU national champions, I'd have no problem with it, but we all know that Appalachian State won the only D-I national title that was decided on the field.

Also hard to believe a D-I QB playing at almost 300 pounds. Time to break out that super size me poster of Bruce again.

AppGuy04
January 16th, 2006, 11:55 AM
so he is changing from double cheeseburgers to just a single huh?

gram4life
January 16th, 2006, 01:37 PM

GSU senior quarterback Bruce "The Big Easy" Eugene is training in Phoenix in advance of the NFL Combine and Draft. He reportedly hopes to get his weight down to 240. After two weeks in the program, he'd gone from a reported title-game total of 297 pounds to 278. ...

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060116/SPORTS/601160329/1006

You live for this stuff huh, nut rider.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 16th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Also hard to believe a D-I QB playing at almost 300 pounds. Time to break out that super size me poster of Bruce again.
Jared Lorenen UK :deadhorse

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 16th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Get off my conference ****.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 16th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I love how the coverage of Grambling is always larger than life. The article says they signed 41 recruits last year on signing day. That's interesting since there are only 21 freshmen on their roster, and only 79 players on the team.

What happened to all those guys? :rolleyes:
Gram always takes chances on non qualifiers. Even though they are not on the roster they are in school in most cases.

goasu984Life
January 16th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Is he the newest contestant on "Celebrity Fit Club 3?"

AppGuy04
January 16th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Jared Lorenen UK :deadhorse

Decent QB vs D1-A competition

very different than Eugene and his high school competition

gram4life
January 16th, 2006, 07:27 PM

So if he had played against what you consider better competition his weight would not have been a problem???? Come on man get off of it.

Tribe4SF
January 16th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Gram always takes chances on non qualifiers. Even though they are not on the roster they are in school in most cases.

Jeez, 20 props? If he told them all they'd get a scholarship, and they all qualify, he's in some deep stuff. Strange way to do business.

My real point was about the coverage. No way did Grambling sign 41 guys to letters of intent on signing day.

AppGuy04
January 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
So if he had played against what you consider better competition his weight would not have been a problem???? Come on man get off of it.

no, if he had played against better competition, the comparison would be accurate

gram4life
January 16th, 2006, 08:40 PM
no, if he had played against better competition, the comparison would be accurate

Somebody in the NFL notice something in him, he is getting a look.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 16th, 2006, 08:47 PM

Y'all constantly talk about the competition in the swac but the Swac constantly is among the leaders in putting players in the pay for play league. Look at the current conference representatives in the league and I guarantee you the SWAC is amongst the leaders. :deadhorse please come with something else.

nickderiso
January 16th, 2006, 10:57 PM
My real point was about the coverage. No way did Grambling sign 41 guys to letters of intent on signing day.

No way did you do any research before typing.

Try Google next time.

I'll make it easy for you: "Grambling signs 41." (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22grambling+signs+41%22&hl=en&lr=&start=0&sa=N&filter=0)

nickderiso
January 16th, 2006, 11:02 PM

swac.org (http://www.swac.org/04-05/football/day1sign0201.htm)

MACHIAVELLI
January 17th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Jeez, 20 props? If he told them all they'd get a scholarship, and they all qualify, he's in some deep stuff. Strange way to do business.

Why is it strange? He didn't tell them they would all get scholarships. He knew some of them wouldn't qualify. No rules are being violated. The student athletes get acclamated to the system and have plently of time to concentrate on academics.

AppGuy04
January 17th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Y'all constantly talk about the competition in the swac but the Swac constantly is among the leaders in putting players in the pay for play league. Look at the current conference representatives in the league and I guarantee you the SWAC is amongst the leaders. :deadhorse please come with something else.

We will keep coming with it. Once again, football is a team game, a few players a year in the NFL does not make your conference special in my eyes. Play somebody, beat them, and then I will give you the respect you demand. Until then, and I've said it 1000 times, you will have good players but crappy teams, therefore making those good players "look" better than they are

Tribe4SF
January 17th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Why is it strange? He didn't tell them they would all get scholarships. He knew some of them wouldn't qualify. No rules are being violated. The student athletes get acclamated to the system and have plently of time to concentrate on academics.

Saw the report listing the 41. Truly amazing. It will be interesting to see how many of the twenty are on the Spring roster. What is strange to me is bringing those kids in and assuming that most of them won't qualify.

My understanding is that signing a letter of intent is in response to a scholarship offer. W&M only lists those. Walk-ons are not included. I believe Patriot and Ivy schools list those who are included in their grants-in-aid for equivalencies.

Can someone clarify if non-scholarship players sign a letter of intent.

Mr. Tiger
January 17th, 2006, 08:23 AM
We will keep coming with it. Once again, football is a team game, a few players a year in the NFL does not make your conference special in my eyes. Play somebody, beat them, and then I will give you the respect you demand. Until then, and I've said it 1000 times, you will have good players but crappy teams, therefore making those good players "look" better than they are

I guess Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Jimmy Smith, Michael Strahan...I could go on and on were good players that "look" better than they are or were huh? :rolleyes: Well back to xcoffeex

AppGuy04
January 17th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I guess Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Jimmy Smith, Michael Strahan...I could go on and on were good players that "look" better than they are or were huh? :rolleyes: Well back to xcoffeex

somehow i knew this was coming, a handful of players in the history of your whole conference, thats a pretty broad stroke to paint

once again, i admitted the SWAC has good players, so whats your point? you seem to be avoiding my other statements

Mr. Tiger
January 17th, 2006, 10:38 AM
somehow i knew this was coming, a handful of players in the history of your whole conference, thats a pretty broad stroke to paint

once again, i admitted the SWAC has good players, so whats your point? you seem to be avoiding my other statements

No, you said the SWAC has good players that look better than what they are because of the level of competition. So I merely pointed out that you can't look any better than the players I have listed and there are more than a handful of other NFL players from the SWAC. As for your other statement, if you don't want to respect the SWAC, that's your opinion. I believe the SWAC should be respected for bringing attention to Division I-AA because the conference gets more national television attention than any of the other Division I-AA conferences, has more fan support, has sent a ton of players to the NFL. I would also like to see the conference get rid of the 9-game mandate and play more non-conference games so that we all can see where a team like Grambling and a QB like Bruce Eugene would stack up on the field against the App. State's and Georgia Southern's of the world. But until then xcoffeex

AppGuy04
January 17th, 2006, 01:08 PM
No, you said the SWAC has good players that look better than what they are because of the level of competition. So I merely pointed out that you can't look any better than the players I have listed and there are more than a handful of other NFL players from the SWAC. As for your other statement, if you don't want to respect the SWAC, that's your opinion. I believe the SWAC should be respected for bringing attention to Division I-AA because the conference gets more national television attention than any of the other Division I-AA conferences, has more fan support, has sent a ton of players to the NFL. I would also like to see the conference get rid of the 9-game mandate and play more non-conference games so that we all can see where a team like Grambling and a QB like Bruce Eugene would stack up on the field against the App. State's and Georgia Southern's of the world. But until then xcoffeex

I would also like to see that mandate go away so we can settle this once and for all. However, until it does, the SWAC is not I-AA in my eyes, they are Independent. Call it what you will. They get TV exposure for themselves, not I-AA, don't be fooled.

jstate83
January 17th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Same guy.................same tactic......................same song. :eyebrow:

SU, GRAM, rest of HBCU posters.............................

Why do ya'll entertain this mess. :deadhorse

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
2005 NFL Final Roster Players from Current I-AA Member Schools

34 - GFC
29 - A10
24 - SWAC
23 - MEAC
22 - BSC
19 - IVY
18 - OVC
17 - GWFC
16 - SLC
15 - SOCON
3 - BSOUTH
2 - NEC
2 - PFL
2 - PL
1 - MAAC
:deadhorse

Mr. C
January 17th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I would also like to see the conference get rid of the 9-game mandate and play more non-conference games so that we all can see where a team like Grambling and a QB like Bruce Eugene would stack up on the field against the App. State's and Georgia Southern's of the world. But until then xcoffeex
What a refreshing opinion. I'd love to see that too.

Retro
January 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I would also like to see the conference get rid of the 9-game mandate and play more non-conference games so that we all can see where a team like Grambling and a QB like Bruce Eugene would stack up on the field against the App. State's and Georgia Southern's of the world. But until then

We already have..... againest Mcneese State in 2002 and 2003 and Grambling was beat both times, 52 - 20 at Mcneese and 31 - 20 at Grambling. Eugene Threw the ball 68 TIMES in the game at grambling and still lost. That's when they had Tramon Douglas, who they smacked about for 2 years. Well, he had a great game, but that is all they had and he didn't make the pro's.

NCAAF FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
GRAMBLING 0 14 0 6 20
MCNEESE ST 20 0 18 14 52 FINAL

MCNEESE ST-TD, R Gulley 63 YD RETURN OF ATTEMPTED FIELD GOAL
(J Marino KICK) 1:35 1st Qtr
MCNEESE ST-TD, J Hamilton 9 YD PASS FROM S Pendarvis (J
Marino KICK) 5:43 1st Qtr
MCNEESE ST-TD, S Pendarvis 1 YD RUN (PAT FAILED) 14:21 1st
Qtr
MCNEESE ST-TD, M Trahan 4 YD RUN (J Marino KICK) 10:02 4th
Qtr

GRAMBLING MCNEESE ST
First downs 8 20
Rushed-yards 24--7 57-216
Passing yards 213 143
Sacked-yards lost 4-30 5-33
Return yards 6 136
Passes 7-36-3 12-20-0
Punts 9-36.7 7-31.6
Fumbles-lost 2-2 3-3
Penalties-yards 11-76 10-116
Time of possession 24:12 35:48

Individual Statistics

RUSHING: GRAMBLING-Karrell Charles 6-8, Cedric Young 4-6, Michael
O'ree 1-3, Lindsey Sanders 2-2, Jason Arrington 1-1, Gary Cooper
3-MINUS 11, Bruce Eugene 7-MINUS 16. MCNEESE ST-Vick King 18-80, Jacob
Prim 12-61, Drew Blanchard 1-40, Luke Lawton 6-25, B.J. Sams 1-12,
Marcus Trahan 8-11, Andrew Robin 2-8, Kevin Beasley 1-6, Darren
Oustalet 1-2, Michael Allen 2-0, Scott Pendarvis 5-MINUS 29.

PASSING: GRAMBLING-Bruce Eugene 4-22-125- 2, Gary Cooper 3-14-88- 1.
MCNEESE ST-Scott Pendarvis 7-13-110- 0. Ryan Corcoran 3-4-21- 0.
Michael Allen 2-3-12- 0.

RECEIVING: GRAMBLING-Calvin Colquitt 2-111, D.J. Clay 2-54, Tramon
Douglas 1-33, Thyron Anderson 1-9, Moses Harris 1-6. MCNEESE ST-B.J.
Sams 2-36, John Marino 3-28, Luke Lawton 1-24, Marcus Trahan 1-20,
Matt Gore 2-12, Jeff Hamilton 1-9, Tyree Broden 1-7, Vick King 1-7.

Att: 20,300

McNeese State vs. Grambling

Extended Box
Sep 20, 2003 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH FINAL
McNeese State 7 0 7 17 31
Grambling 0 13 7 0 20

Scoring
MCNEESE V King 31 YD RUN (J Marino KICK)
GRAMBLING T Douglas 16 YD PASS FROM B Eugene (PAT FAILED)
GRAMBLING T Douglas 15 YD PASS FROM B Eugene (B Morgan KICK)
MCNEESE L Lawton 15 YD PASS FROM S Pendarvis (J Marino KICK)
GRAMBLING T Douglas 15 YD PASS FROM B Eugene (B Morgan KICK)
MCNEESE V King 3 YD RUN (J Marino KICK)
MCNEESE J Marino 29 YD
MCNEESE V King 60 YD RUN (J Marino KICK)

Team Statistics McNeese State Grambling
First downs 24 31
Rushes-Yards 44 - 264 19 - 77
Passing yards 174 397
Sacked-Yards lost 2 - 10 0 - 0
Return yards 73 8
Passes 14 - 23 - 0 36 - 68 - 2
Punts-Average 3 - 39 2 - 38.5
Fumbles-Lost 0 - 0 0 - 0
Penalties-Yards 5 - 78 9 - 55
Time of Possession 28:05 31:55

Player Statistics

Passing
McNeese State Cmp Att Yds Int
Pendarvis, Scott 13 22 129 0
Corcoran, Ryan 1 1 45 0

Grambling Cmp Att Yds Int
Eugene, Bruce 36 68 397 2

Rushing
McNeese State Att Yds
King, Vick 30 215
Sams, B.J. 3 47
Lawton, Luke 4 16
Thomas, Chris 1 4
LeBlanc, Cody 1 -1
Gardner, Huey 1 -6
Pendarvis, Scott 4 -11

Grambling Att Yds
Eugene, Bruce 8 44
Kauuan, Ab 8 23
Bond, Octavius 1 5
Tolbert, Henry 2 5

Receiving
McNeese State Att Yds
Sams, B.J. 7 115
Turner, Marcus 2 29
Brodhead, Britt 2 25
Lawton, Luke 2 10
King, Vick 1 -5

Grambling Att Yds
Douglas, Tramon 17 216
Abney, Tim 6 63
Harris, Moses 8 62
Day, Chris 2 23
Jessie, Gershone 1 15
Hatcher, Jason 1 14
Tolbert, Henry 1 4

Mr. Tiger
January 17th, 2006, 10:36 PM
We already have..... againest Mcneese State in 2002 and 2003 and Grambling was beat both times, 52 - 20 at Mcneese and 31 - 20 at Grambling. Eugene Threw the ball 68 TIMES in the game at grambling and still lost. That's when they had Tramon Douglas, who they smacked about for 2 years. Well, he had a great game, but that is all they had and he didn't make the pro's.

Grambling also lost to SWAC foe Southern U. in 2002, 48-24, and 2003, 44-41, so your point is..... :confused: And Douglas was 5-foot-10 and I don't know many 5-10 receivers in the NFL. So what does this have to do with Eugene whose main problem is weight. Well anyway back to xcoffeex

AppGuy04
January 17th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Grambling also lost to SWAC foe Southern U. in 2002, 48-24, and 2003, 44-41, so your point is..... :confused: And Douglas was 5-foot-10 and I don't know many 5-10 receivers in the NFL. So what does this have to do with Eugene whose main problem is weight. Well anyway back to xcoffeex

he was referring to a non-SWAC team such as McNeese State

Mr. Tiger
January 17th, 2006, 11:22 PM
he was referring to a non-SWAC team such as McNeese State

I know. But what I'm saying is that Grambling couldn't beat Southern those year either. So there is no way to compare this past season's team to two years ago. Grambling didn't even have the same coach then. And he was trying to say that McNeese State has already proven how Grambling would stack up against non-SWAC teams. Every year is different. Is App State the same team every year? If you are I guess everybody should just hand you guys the 2006 championship and not even play.

gram4life
January 17th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I know. But what I'm saying is that Grambling couldn't beat Southern those year either. So there is no way to compare this past season's team to two years ago. Grambling didn't even have the same coach then. And he was trying to say that McNeese State has already proven how Grambling would stack up against non-SWAC teams. Every year is different. Is App State the same team every year? If you are I guess everybody should just hand you guys the 2006 championship and not even play.

They choose to ignore that we have wins against Portland St. and Nicholls St(southland).

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2006, 06:41 AM
They choose to ignore that we have wins against Portland St. and Nicholls St(southland).

Oooo...who could forget the nine-point win over a 3-8 Nicholls team that held the cellar dweller position in the SLC that year. Yes, a I-AA win for sure, but don't go jumping for joy about that one. Portland State, now that was a good win. They went 7-4 that year and dropped two in the Big Sky that year.

Then the following year, you get topped handily by a McNeese team that represents the top of the SLC during another HBCU "National Champion" run. See, that was a much better comparison to gauge where Grambling was that year as they played "top tier" competition instead of cellar dwellers.

Wish the 'ICON' would play McNeese and/or GA Southern next year when both should be good programs to see if the Grambling of 2006 would be even considered a top 10 program. This year, the debate could be made that they possibly were, but then again, they could've been like Hampton, their "co-national champion", was...

gram4life
January 18th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Oooo...who could forget the nine-point win over a 3-8 Nicholls team that held the cellar dweller position in the SLC that year. Yes, a I-AA win for sure, but don't go jumping for joy about that one. Portland State, now that was a good win. They went 7-4 that year and dropped two in the Big Sky that year.

Then the following year, you get topped handily by a McNeese team that represents the top of the SLC during another HBCU "National Champion" run. See, that was a much better comparison to gauge where Grambling was that year as they played "top tier" competition instead of cellar dwellers.

Wish the 'ICON' would play McNeese and/or GA Southern next year when both should be good programs to see if the Grambling of 2006 would be even considered a top 10 program. This year, the debate could be made that they possibly were, but then again, they could've been like Hampton, their "co-national champion", was...

I like the way you choose to down play the game but oh well that's you. If GSU would have lost your AZZ would have been all over that huh. YOu change like the wind. Sad but True.

AppGuy04
January 18th, 2006, 07:31 AM

no offense, but the Southland is not exactly a I-AA power, so any win against that conference by a SWAC team should be taken with a grain of salt. SU Jag told me that some of the SWAC teams were looking at Georgia Southern. Now that is a measuring stick.

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2006, 07:53 AM
no offense, but the Southland is not exactly a I-AA power, so any win against that conference by a SWAC team should be taken with a grain of salt. SU Jag told me that some of the SWAC teams were looking at Georgia Southern. Now that is a measuring stick.

SLC is typically top four each year in the final GPI...

Our conference has had semifinalists in the I-AA playoffs three of the last four years (all three were different teams) which is something only the A10, SoCon and SLC can say...

And don't forget, GA Southern got knocked out this year in the first round at an SLC school...

SLC doesn't get enough love because our schools don't get a chance to play many conferences east of the Mississippi (i.e A10, SoCon), but we have shown we can win in those opprotunities (McN and TxSt over GA Southern and NW State over Northeastern this year)...

MACHIAVELLI
January 18th, 2006, 10:33 AM
no offense, but the Southland is not exactly a I-AA power, so any win against that conference by a SWAC team should be taken with a grain of salt.

:lmao:

AppGuy04
January 18th, 2006, 12:21 PM
:lmao:

over half the conference had a losing record this past year

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2006, 06:35 PM

SLC had four teams with .500 or above records. Three teams below. Keep in mind, we had loads of cancellations and postponements due to two hurricanes that ravaged our conference. Lots of personal issues out there on the table (student-athletes that were displaced, homes destroyed, etc) and the fact that our league plays more I-As per team than any other league in the nation (just about every team in the SLC plays two I-As each year, with one team even playing THREE this coming year!).

You check the SWAC's OOC? I think they got ONE win against a I-AA squad this year, just one. That's it, that's all. No wins against the SLC. No wins against really anyone outside of a Tennessee State. And of course, Tuskegee went 2-0 against the SWAC.

gram4life
January 18th, 2006, 07:03 PM
SLC had four teams with .500 or above records. Three teams below. Keep in mind, we had loads of cancellations and postponements due to two hurricanes that ravaged our conference. Lots of personal issues out there on the table (student-athletes that were displaced, homes destroyed, etc) and the fact that our league plays more I-As per team than any other league in the nation (just about every team in the SLC plays two I-As each year, with one team even playing THREE this coming year!).

You check the SWAC's OOC? I think they got ONE win against a I-AA squad this year, just one. That's it, that's all. No wins against the SLC. No wins against really anyone outside of a Tennessee State. And of course, Tuskegee went 2-0 against the SWAC.

LOL, SWAC this SWAC that. _itch made if ever I have seen one. LOL

Catmendue2
January 18th, 2006, 07:53 PM

True

SU Jag
January 18th, 2006, 09:30 PM

This dude is sad! :nod:

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 18th, 2006, 10:55 PM
This dude is sad! :nod:
He is beyond Sad. :lmao:

McNeese75
January 18th, 2006, 11:20 PM

Hummmmm

I do not have all the stats on games between the SLC and SC but I doubt very seriously your conference has dominated ours over the last few years :D

Catmendue2
January 19th, 2006, 07:20 AM

Since 1995 how many winning seasons has SHSU had, in that ten years, how many SWAC teams have you lost to. BTW, didn't that same Mcneese team drop 50 on SHSU in 2002 and 2003. I bet since 1987 SHSU hasn't had 10 winning seasons, prove me wrong Mr. Powerhouse.

AppGuy04
January 19th, 2006, 07:29 AM

you don't have to tell me about playing I-A's, remember our schedule this past year?

TexasTerror
January 19th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Since 1995 how many winning seasons has SHSU had, in that ten years, how many SWAC teams have you lost to. BTW, didn't that same Mcneese team drop 50 on SHSU in 2002 and 2003. I bet since 1987 SHSU hasn't had 10 winning season prove me wrong.

Why is SHSU being thrown around as fodder? Isn't the key discussion here about the quality of competition that Eugene competed against? Or atleast, that's what direction this was heading in...

SHSU since 1995...we are 5-1 against the SWAC and 7-1 if you throw in 1994. This includes the regionally-televised ABC win over Alcorn State before a stadium record crowd over Air McNair and company. The one loss came against Texas Southern during a 4-7 campaign that saw a small win over a Div II squad and a loss to a Div II squad (hey, it's like we were in the SWAC that year!). We beat TxSo 40-7 the next year.

Four winning seasons, one .500 season and six sub-500 seasons. Eight winning seasons since 1987 (did have winning seasons from 1984 til 1987). If SHSU was in the SWAC, I bet we'd have more winning records considering our dominance over the conference since 1995 and the SLC's dominance in general against the SWAC. If SHSU is a middle of the pack team at the very least most years in the SLC, we could definitely be competing for a SWAC title game bid yearly...

Too bad we weren't in the SWAC though. We joked when our soccer team was formed that we were undefeated in our SWAC portion of the season (winning by like an average of 9-0 in five games) and lost every other game. Now, we're finally winning in conference (conference tourney finalists this year), so perhaps an affiliate membership in the SWAC is out of the question.

We smack around the SWAC in every other sport too. In addition to football, we've cruised in BKB (even our women put it to them this year), Baseball ("I feel bad, give it a hit instead of an error"), Softball (geez, it was ugly last year!), tennis, golf, volleyball (if your team would compete against ours, trust me, I've seen a fair share of SWAC VB), etc. That's what happens when your conference is the cellar-dweller across the board in RPIs in all those sports. The SWAC lacks a vision, lacks the desire to do anything for other sports outside of football. The formula keeps ringing out failure...

Mr. Tiger
January 19th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Why is SHSU being thrown around as fodder? Isn't the key discussion here about the quality of competition that Eugene competed against? Or atleast, that's what direction this was heading in...

SHSU since 1995...we are 5-1 against the SWAC and 7-1 if you throw in 1994....

Most Sam Houston's wins against the SWAC have come against Texas Southern, Mississippi Valley, and Prairie View. Valley has never won a SWAC Football Championship in its ENTIRE history. That's about 40 years. Texas Southern hasn't won even a share of one since 1968. And Prairie View...well Sam Houston actually loss to them in 1985 and everybody knows their history over the last 20 years. This is no smack. But if you had a winning record over the Ohio Valley and the teams you played were Tennessee Tech and Tennessee-Martin. No offense to those schools, but would that really be impressive? Tennessee Tech last won the Ohio Valley in 1975 or Tennessee-Martin hasn't even come close to winning the Ohio Valley since joining in 1992. See where I'm headed. But you are right this has nothing to do with the thread so back to :cool:

gram4life
January 19th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Most Sam Houston's wins against the SWAC have come against Texas Southern, Mississippi Valley, and Prairie View. Valley has never won a SWAC Football Championship in its ENTIRE history. That's about 40 years. Texas Southern hasn't won even a share of one since 1968. And Prairie View...well Sam Houston actually loss to them in 1985 and everybody knows their history over the last 20 years. This is no smack. But if you had a winning record over the Ohio Valley and the teams you played were Tennessee Tech and Tennessee-Martin. No offense to those schools, but would that really be impressive? Tennessee Tech last won the Ohio Valley in 1975 or Tennessee-Martin hasn't even come close to winning the Ohio Valley since joining in 1992. See where I'm headed. But you are right this has nothing to do with the thread so back to :cool:

but wait Mr. Tiger, he will change to subject to soccer,basketball,tennis or something. Just wait you will see, go ahead TT make your history sound better than what it.

Catmendue2
January 19th, 2006, 09:46 AM

SHSU since 1995...we are 5-1 against the SWAC and 7-1 if you throw in 1994. This includes the regionally-televised ABC win over Alcorn State before a stadium record crowd over Air McNair and company. The one loss came against Texas Southern during a 4-7 campaign that saw a small win over a Div II squad and a loss to a Div II squad (hey, it's like we were in the SWAC that year!). We beat TxSo 40-7 the next year.

Four winning seasons, one .500 season and six sub-500 seasons. Eight winning seasons since 1987 (did have winning seasons from 1984 til 1987). If SHSU was in the SWAC, I bet we'd have more winning records considering our dominance over the conference since 1995 and the SLC's dominance in general against the SWAC. If SHSU is a middle of the pack team at the very least most years in the SLC, we could definitely be competing for a SWAC title game bid yearly...

Too bad we weren't in the SWAC though. We joked when our soccer team was formed that we were undefeated in our SWAC portion of the season (winning by like an average of 9-0 in five games) and lost every other game. Now, we're finally winning in conference (conference tourney finalists this year), so perhaps an affiliate membership in the SWAC is out of the question.

We smack around the SWAC in every other sport too. In addition to football, we've cruised in BKB (even our women put it to them this year), Baseball ("I feel bad, give it a hit instead of an error"), Softball (geez, it was ugly last year!), tennis, golf, volleyball (if your team would compete against ours, trust me, I've seen a fair share of SWAC VB), etc. That's what happens when your conference is the cellar-dweller across the board in RPIs in all those sports. The SWAC lacks a vision, lacks the desire to do anything for other sports outside of football. The formula keeps ringing out failure...

You said all this to say what, that you have beaten PV and TSU as all SWAC teams have done. Where in here can you show me where you actually beat a decent SWAC team since 1987. SHSU has had 8 winning seasons in almost 20 years and you have the nuts talk about the SWAC, when you haven't finished 4th in a 6 team league but three times in 18 years, PLeeeeeeseee.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 19th, 2006, 04:17 PM
You don't want it with Southern University in Baseball or Softball trust that.

TexasTerror
January 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM
You said all this to say what, that you have beaten PV and TSU as all SWAC teams have done. Where in here can you show me where you actually beat a decent SWAC team since 1987. SHSU has had 8 winning seasons in almost 20 years and you have the nuts talk about the SWAC, when you haven't finished 4th in a 6 team league but three times in 18 years, PLeeeeeeseee.

We beat Alcorn State two out of three times, when they were the premier team and had a Steve 'Air' McNair. Remember him? You guys always tout him as one of the best NCAA football players and he was in the SWAC. We know, we know. We have not played any SWAC teams outside of MSVU, TxSo and Alcorn State. Our SLC "sister" institutions have beaten the SWAC schools left and right even the "Icon" and such.

You don't want it with Southern University in Baseball or Softball trust that.

Southern just picked up one of our ex-players who was riding the pine and he's being touted as a big addition. I see you guys got swept in baseball by SLC member Nicholls and lost two of three to Texas Southern (a team Sam slammed by 20+ and felt so bad we did the mercy rule). Guess I'm not so concerned about SHSU vs SU baseball...

In softball, you guys fared well in the SWAC, though you lost two out of three to PVA&M during the season. SHSU mercy ruled them 17-2, 14-2 and 10-1. Talk about a walk in the park. Then again, we only had a sophomore and freshman as our two main starters last year! Could've been shutouts. Hmmm...

Come on guys! Don't throw around that SU being good at baseball and softball when you know they'll get smashed and bashed left and right against any decent Div I program in either sport...

dcpsujag
January 19th, 2006, 07:40 PM
ask lsu if southern beat any decent teams last year. while your at it ask southern miss if southern has beaten a decent team lately

TexasTerror
January 19th, 2006, 08:24 PM
ask lsu if southern beat any decent teams last year. while your at it ask southern miss if southern has beaten a decent team lately

Chief, you get one marquee win and countless marquee losses. Who doesn't? It's baseball. Until you do something impressive (SHSU had like eight wins in a row against Rice, a comparable school) or consistently beat even mediocre teams (similar to the Nicholls State that swept you in three straight) or good teams (like the ULL team that won both from you) or even an NAIA (you guys lost to LOYOLA!), then we can talk...

College baseball is a sport where you can beat a giant a few times (i.e TxSo over Rice), but if you just do that one firework and there's nothing behind it, you got nothing to boast...

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 19th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Chief, you get one marquee win and countless marquee losses. Who doesn't? It's baseball. Until you do something impressive (SHSU had like eight wins in a row against Rice, a comparable school) or consistently beat even mediocre teams (similar to the Nicholls State that swept you in three straight) or good teams (like the ULL team that won both from you) or even an NAIA (you guys lost to LOYOLA!), then we can talk...

College baseball is a sport where you can beat a giant a few times (i.e TxSo over Rice), but if you just do that one firework and there's nothing behind it, you got nothing to boast...
FOOL. Do you know from 2001-2003 SU had 24 players drafted. That number was more than any one other college team. You have no clue.
I don't see your school on this list.
Collegiate Baseball Newspaper's

NCAA Div. I Pre-Season Poll (As of Dec. 23, 2005)

http://www.collegiatebaseball.com/polls/divI/currentpolldivI.htm

Rank School (’05 Final Record) Points Final ’05 Rank
1. Texas (56-16) 496 1
2. Florida (48-23) 492 2
3. Oregon St. (46-12) 490 7
4. Nebraska (57-15) 489 6
5. Rice (45-19) 487 16
6. Clemson (43-23) 484 13
7. North Carolina (41-19-1) 482 21
8. Florida St. (53-20) 479 15
9. Cal. St. Fullerton (46-18) 476 9
10. Georgia Tech. (45-19) 475 10
11. Miami, Fla. (41-19-1) 473 14
12. Arizona St. (42-25) 470 3
13. Pepperdine (41-23) 469 23
14. Missouri (40-23) 467 —
15. Louisiana St. (40-22) 466 19
16. Long Beach St. (37-22) 463 18
17. South Carolina (41-23) 461 26
18. Florida Atlantic (37-24) 459 —
19. Tennessee (46-21) 458 8
20. Mississippi (48-20) 456 11
21. Southern California (41-22) 455 17
22. Notre Dame (38-24-1) 453 —
23. Baylor (46-24) 450 4
24. Tulane (56-12) 449 5
25. Stanford (34-25) 447 —
26. Wichita St. (51-24) 444 27
27. Texas Christian (41-20) 443 29
28. Winthrop (44-22) 440 —
29. Oklahoma (35-26) 438 —
30. Southern Miss. (41-21) 435 —
31. Arizona (39-21) 434 12
32. Houston (29-30) 430 —
33. Arkansas (39-22) 428 —
34. Mississippi St. (42-22) 427 —
35. San Francisco (38-18) 425 —
36. San Diego (30-27-1) 422 —
37. Stetson (35-28) 419 —
38. Washington (33-22) 415 —
39. Georgia (30-25) 413 —
40. Fresno St. (30-29) 409 —
Other Teams Receiving Votes: Cal Poly SLO, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Auburn, California, UCLA, Ohio St., North Carolina St., Coastal Carolina, Louisville, U.C. Irvine, Virginia Commonwealth, Miami (Ohio), Oral Roberts, Central Florida, East Carolina, Central Michigan, Southern Illinois, Nevada-Las Vegas, San Diego St., Maine, Birmingham Southern, Jacksonville St., South Alabama, Louisiana-Lafayette, Troy, Florida International, Loyola Marymouht, Army, College of Charleston, Georgia Southern, N.C. Charlotte, Richmond, Western Carolina, Northwestern St., Lamar, Southern.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 19th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Golden Spikes Award Winners

Year GSA Recipient School
2003 Rickie Weeks - Southern
2002 Khalil Greene - Clemson
2001 Mark Prior - Southern California
2000 Kip Bouknight - South Carolina
1999 Jason Jennings - Baylor
1998 Pat Burrell - Miami
1997 J.D. Drew - Florida State
1996 Travis Lee - San Diego State
1995 Mark Kotsay - Cal State Fullerton
1994 Jason Varitek - Georgia Tech
1993 Darren Dreifort - Wichita State
1992 Phil Nevin - Cal State Fullerton
1991 Mike Kelly - Arizona State
1990 Alex Fernandez - Miami-Dade South
1989 Ben McDonald - Louisiana State
1988 Robin Ventura - Oklahoma State
1987 Jim Abbott - Michigan
1986 Mike Loynd - Florida State
1985 Will Clark - Mississippi State
1984 Oddibe McDowell - Arizona State
1983 Dave Magadan - Alabama
1982 Augie Schmidt - New Orleans
1981 Mike Fuentes - Florida State
1980 Terry Francona - Arizona
1979 Tim Wallace - Cal State Fullerton
1978 Bob Horner - Arizona State

2003 Golden Spikes Award Finalists
Michael Aubrey - Tulane
Carlos Quentin - Stanford
Kyle Sleeth - Wake Forest
Tim Stauffer - Richmond
Rickie Weeks - Southern

3rd Coast Tiger
January 19th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Most Sam Houston's wins against the SWAC have come against Texas Southern...

Texas Southern has played Sam Houston a total of 13 times. Sam Houston has eight (8) wins while Texas Southern has five (5) wins.

Catmendue2
January 20th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Texas Terrorist give it a break, don't make me call homeland security to school your azz.

mlbowl
January 20th, 2006, 11:54 AM
FOOL. Do you know from 2001-2003 SU had 24 players drafted. That number was more than any one other college team. You have no clue.
I don't see your school on this list.
Collegiate Baseball Newspaper's

NCAA Div. I Pre-Season Poll (As of Dec. 23, 2005)

http://www.collegiatebaseball.com/polls/divI/currentpolldivI.htm

Rank School (’05 Final Record) Points Final ’05 Rank
1. Texas (56-16) 496 1
2. Florida (48-23) 492 2
3. Oregon St. (46-12) 490 7
4. Nebraska (57-15) 489 6
5. Rice (45-19) 487 16
6. Clemson (43-23) 484 13
7. North Carolina (41-19-1) 482 21
8. Florida St. (53-20) 479 15
9. Cal. St. Fullerton (46-18) 476 9
10. Georgia Tech. (45-19) 475 10
11. Miami, Fla. (41-19-1) 473 14
12. Arizona St. (42-25) 470 3
13. Pepperdine (41-23) 469 23
14. Missouri (40-23) 467 —
15. Louisiana St. (40-22) 466 19
16. Long Beach St. (37-22) 463 18
17. South Carolina (41-23) 461 26
18. Florida Atlantic (37-24) 459 —
19. Tennessee (46-21) 458 8
20. Mississippi (48-20) 456 11
21. Southern California (41-22) 455 17
22. Notre Dame (38-24-1) 453 —
23. Baylor (46-24) 450 4
24. Tulane (56-12) 449 5
25. Stanford (34-25) 447 —
26. Wichita St. (51-24) 444 27
27. Texas Christian (41-20) 443 29
28. Winthrop (44-22) 440 —
29. Oklahoma (35-26) 438 —
30. Southern Miss. (41-21) 435 —
31. Arizona (39-21) 434 12
32. Houston (29-30) 430 —
33. Arkansas (39-22) 428 —
34. Mississippi St. (42-22) 427 —
35. San Francisco (38-18) 425 —
36. San Diego (30-27-1) 422 —
37. Stetson (35-28) 419 —
38. Washington (33-22) 415 —
39. Georgia (30-25) 413 —
40. Fresno St. (30-29) 409 —
Other Teams Receiving Votes: Cal Poly SLO, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Auburn, California, UCLA, Ohio St., North Carolina St., Coastal Carolina, Louisville, U.C. Irvine, Virginia Commonwealth, Miami (Ohio), Oral Roberts, Central Florida, East Carolina, Central Michigan, Southern Illinois, Nevada-Las Vegas, San Diego St., Maine, Birmingham Southern, Jacksonville St., South Alabama, Louisiana-Lafayette, Troy, Florida International, Loyola Marymouht, Army, College of Charleston, Georgia Southern, N.C. Charlotte, Richmond, Western Carolina, Northwestern St., Lamar, Southern.

I highlighted a few other teams that appear before Southern :nod:

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I highlighted a few other teams that appear before Southern :nod:
:hurray: I have no problem with that, congrats. I was talking about TT's school nowhere in site. :lmao:

TexasTerror
January 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM
:hurray: I have no problem with that, congrats. I was talking about TT's school nowhere in site. :lmao:

Well, I'm proud the one Baseball top 25 voter from the SWAC made sure to put Southern in at 25th so they can get their one point... :hurray:

Must be like that Harvard getting the first-place vote each and every time...

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Well, I'm proud the one Baseball top 25 voter from the SWAC made sure to put Southern in at 25th so they can get their one point... :hurray:

Must be like that Harvard getting the first-place vote each and every time...
We have actually finished the season in the top 30 on more than 1 occasion. :) Research before you talk. :deadhorse

mlbowl
January 20th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Yeah, I know :) .......I wasn't trying to demean Southern's accomplishments. I just wanted to throw the other teams from I-AA football conferences a bone.....I was impressed with how many teams made the list :hurray: