PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Cali teams

bandl
January 13th, 2006, 03:31 PM
What major I-AA schools with decent football teams are in, or near, the following areas:

San Francisco
Sonoma Valley
Lower L.A.
San Diego (besides U of)

My girlfriend works near these parts when she's out there. She is getting mad miles from flying so much. So...soon we will be flying for free on weekends to anywhere we want in the lower 48 (this is how I'm swinging my Missoula trip ;) ). . Who knows...maybe I could get in some a good I-AA action on the west coast. :nod:

Hansel
January 13th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Only 4 I-AA in Cali

UCD and Poly should both open up new and renovated stadiums respectively next year
Davis is 70 miles from San Francisco, and near the Sonoma Valley

I would recommend NDSU at UC-Davis 11/4 ;)

Poly is kind of between SF and LA

Sac St- don't want to go there
U San Diego- Mid Major

bandl
January 13th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Only 4 I-AA in Cali

UCD and Poly should both open up new and renovated stadiums respectively next year
Davis is 70 miles from San Francisco, and near the Sonoma Valley

I would recommend NDSU at UC-Davis 11/4 ;)

Poly is kind of between SF and LA

Sac St- don't want to go there
U San Diego- Mid Major
UCD seems to be the best best for me, I've got a friend who lives in Sonoma.

What's their schedule looking like for next year (other than NDSU :p )?

Hansel
January 13th, 2006, 04:08 PM
What's their schedule looking like for next year (other than NDSU :p )?

That's it :p

J/K I haven't seen a release of the rest of their schedule yet

Hansel
January 13th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Did a quick check of the Davis board

9/2 @ UNC
9/9 EWU
9/16 @ SJSU
9/23 open
9/30 open
10/7 open
*10/14 @ POLY
*10/21 SUU
*10/28 @ SDSU
*11/4 NDSU
11/11 @ Montana St
11/18 Suc St
* GWFC

bandl
January 13th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Did a quick check of the Davis board

9/2 @ UNC
9/9 EWU
9/16 @ SJSU
9/23 open
9/30 open
10/7 open
*10/14 @ POLY
*10/21 SUU
*10/28 @ SDSU
*11/4 NDSU
11/11 @ Montana St
11/18 Suc St
* GWFC
Only 4 home games???

Hansel
January 13th, 2006, 04:52 PM
the schedule is not final ;)

SochorField
January 13th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Traveling to Youngstown State as well.

May be adding Furman as well. They may come out here.

TxSt02
January 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM
If I were you I would head to Cal Poly... I went there last year. You will be in the thick of the central cali wine area... right where they filmed Sideways. Davis is a little far inland... you have to be on the coast!

San Luis Obispo is in a great location because you can spend time before the game in either LA or San Fran...

Cal Poly:
http://www.cob.calpoly.edu/gradProgram/images/campusView.jpg

Their campus is pretty cool and you know you are in CA when you take the PCH down/up to Cal Poly...

San Diego is always a good spot to hit up... Used to live there back in the day...

City of San Diego:
http://alumni.nd.edu/travel/2006/images/San-Diego---SDSKYLIN.jpg

Of all the CA I-AA schools, U of San Diego will have the most to do around the immediate area. Can't go wrong there...

X-Factor
January 13th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Traveling to Youngstown State as well.

May be adding Furman as well. They may come out here.

NDSU was also in "talks" with Furman. I guess we will have to see who wins the scheduling battle. ;)

NDSU has 3 dates left to fill. One of them may be Minnesota, and at least one of the remaining two must be a home game. .....there is more pessure on scheduling now that UNC jumped ship.

lucchesicourt
January 13th, 2006, 07:25 PM
UC Davis is closer to the real wine country, Napa Valley, about 50 miles away. if that is what you seek. I am not saying that Cal poly isn't near some great vineyards, but Napa is king of the wine country in pretty much the entire world.
I will say that I beleieve the weather in Cal Poly is a little more moderate as compared to Davis. If you come to Davis around September expect HEAT, usually high 80'2 to low 100's, and later in the night probably low 80's to mid 70's. If you come in late October to November Davis is beginning to cool down (usually upper 40's to low 50's at night when most games are played) with chances of rain and wind. Cal Poly doesn't usually get as hot or cool as Davis and has a lower chance of rain in late October and November. Rain would NOT be expected from September to mid October in either place.

JMU2004
January 13th, 2006, 07:34 PM
JMU needs to get Cal Poly on the schedule......what a road trip for both schools. Breath taking beauty at both

wannabegaucho
January 13th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Cal Poly beats Davis in just about every category (except wine, and being close to a major city -- UCD has Sacramento)

Easier to fly into Davis, too. Trains from Davis to Bay Area or Sacramento run more frequently then trains from SLO to Los Angeles.

EDIT: Neither city likely will be "green" at that time of year. The "green" season ends in July.

TxSt02
January 13th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Cal Poly beats Davis in just about every category (except wine, and being close to a major city -- UCD has Sacramento)

Easier to fly into Davis, too. Trains from Davis to Bay Area or Sacramento run more frequently then trains from SLO to Los Angeles.

EDIT: Neither city likely will be "green" at that time of year. The "green" season ends in July.

now if UCSB would get a team that would be the ****!!! Santa Barbara is cool as ****.

Check out campus:
http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~gibson/img/campus.jpg

Mr. C
January 13th, 2006, 08:46 PM
If I were you I would head to Cal Poly... I went there last year. You will be in the thick of the central cali wine area... right where they filmed Sideways. Davis is a little far inland... you have to be on the coast!

San Luis Obispo is in a great location because you can spend time before the game in either LA or San Fran...

Cal Poly:
http://www.cob.calpoly.edu/gradProgram/images/campusView.jpg

Their campus is pretty cool and you know you are in CA when you take the PCH down/up to Cal Poly...

San Diego is always a good spot to hit up... Used to live there back in the day...

City of San Diego:
http://alumni.nd.edu/travel/2006/images/San-Diego---SDSKYLIN.jpg

Of all the CA I-AA schools, U of San Diego will have the most to do around the immediate area. Can't go wrong there...
Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo really isn't near Los Angeles or San Francisco. Several hours away either direction, though it is closer to Los Angeles. You could fly to LA and catch a short flight to SLO. SLO is one of my favorite towns in California. Used to love covering games there to have an excuse to go up there. Cal Poly has some of the prettiest girls of any campus in California as well. Well worth a visit.

DaGriz
January 13th, 2006, 08:55 PM
One thing about catching a Davis game is you might possibly be able to catch a Sac. St. game on the same day. Those two schools are real close to each other. I dont' know if they ever play the same day at home and one during the day and one during the evening. This year we caught the USC/Cal game and Sac. St./Griz game on the same day.

Mr. C
January 13th, 2006, 08:56 PM
now if UCSB would get a team that would be the ****!!! Santa Barbara is cool as ****.

That picture brings back great memories. I covered UCSB basketball for five years. The Thunderdome has the best fans on the west coast for hoops. The Gauchos may not have football, but how many schools can you surf on campus? UCSB dropped football in the 1970s, revived it in the late 1980s as a D-III non-scholly program and dropped it again when D-III made its changes in the early 1990s. The interest just never was there for football in Santa Barbara. Too much else to do in this wonderful city. I had a friend in California who used to say "All the girls in Santa Barbara are gorgeous and those that aren't, their parents get them plastic surgery."

TxSt02
January 13th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo really isn't near Los Angeles or San Francisco. Several hours away either direction, though it is closer to Los Angeles. You could fly to LA and catch a short flight to SLO. SLO is one of my favorite towns in California. Used to love covering games there to have an excuse to go up there. Cal Poly has some of the prettiest girls of any campus in California as well. Well worth a visit.

no doubt... you can do stuff before the game as in the days before... not the day off...

you have a real nice drive up or down the coast to get there...

slostang
January 14th, 2006, 12:33 AM
JMU needs to get Cal Poly on the schedule......what a road trip for both schools. Breath taking beauty at both
I am up for it. Now we just need to get our AD's behind the idea.

SochorField
January 14th, 2006, 03:16 AM
The Thunderdome has the best fans on the west coast for hoops.

That was when they were winning....now they have a hard time drawing 1,500.

wannabegaucho
January 14th, 2006, 10:14 AM
That was when they were winning....now they have a hard time drawing 1,500.
You guys have a hard time drawing 1,200. I should withdraw my smack until we (hopefully) beat you tomorrow.

OrneryAggie
January 14th, 2006, 11:30 AM
If UCSB could've sustained a decent football program UCD would've folded. How could an inland farming school keep up with a campus as perty as that. Thankfully there's little to do in Davis during the week besides study and practice. Thus UCD became successful while UCSB got drunk and snobby.

UCD and Suc St are just under 20 minutes apart, straight from one campus to the other on I-80. UCD's new stadium won't have lights for a year (or more :mad:) so there's a good chance UCD will play early and Suc St will play late if they play on the same day.

I have to agree that Cal Poly can't be missed. Beautiful place when the sun's out. San Diego is always sunny but USD's stadium is the least impressive of the 4 schools.

ThreadStopper
January 14th, 2006, 12:48 PM
http://www.facilities.calpoly.edu/campusprojects/projectstatus/maj04_480Spanos/final%20rendering.pdf

bandl
January 16th, 2006, 08:41 AM
UC Davis is closer to the real wine country, Napa Valley, about 50 miles away. if that is what you seek. I am not saying that Cal poly isn't near some great vineyards, but Napa is king of the wine country in pretty much the entire world.
I will say that I beleieve the weather in Cal Poly is a little more moderate as compared to Davis. If you come to Davis around September expect HEAT, usually high 80'2 to low 100's, and later in the night probably low 80's to mid 70's. If you come in late October to November Davis is beginning to cool down (usually upper 40's to low 50's at night when most games are played) with chances of rain and wind. Cal Poly doesn't usually get as hot or cool as Davis and has a lower chance of rain in late October and November. Rain would NOT be expected from September to mid October in either place.
Thanks for that info....definitely helps. I don't know my geography in that part of Cali too well...how far is Napa valley from Sonoma valley? I have a friend who runs a Renaissance hotel in Sonoma, so that's most likely where I'd be staying if I was in that part of the state.

I've seen some great pics of both UCD and Cal-Poly...looks like both would be a great visit!!! :beerchug:

Hansel
January 16th, 2006, 09:36 AM
UC-Davis stadium, better bring a lawn chair :p

colgate13
January 16th, 2006, 09:37 AM
I had no idea Cal Poly was in such a nice area. Very impressive locale! Me likey...

wannabegaucho
January 16th, 2006, 10:47 AM
If you go to San Luis Obispo, take the drive south a bit to Pismo Beach, Grover Beach. From Wiki:

Oceano's beach is the Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area, a 1500 acre (6 kmē) coastal sand dune. As the only state park in California where visitors may drive vehicles on the beach, tourists are attracted from throughout the United States.

colgate13
January 16th, 2006, 12:57 PM
If you go to San Luis Obispo, take the drive south a bit to Pismo Beach, Grover Beach. From Wiki:

Why cannot I help think of Bugs Bunny with that one? :)

lucchesicourt
January 16th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Sonoma Valley may be about 70-80 miles from UCD about 1 1/2 hours

Russ B
January 17th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Right next door to Napa Valley, to answer the rest of the question. :)

SactoHornetFan
January 17th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Generally, Sacramento State likes to have games kickoff at 6:05 pm while the weather is still warm. We then move to 4:05 pm games usually in November.

ucd usually has one or two games at 6 and then they like to play at 1:05 pm.

Aggie71
January 17th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I wish I had a digi - cam picture of the Dairy Barns that showed the girls lookin' across the street to the new stadium structure. What a contrast to the aerial view of Santa Barbara ( from which my daughter just graduated from).

Davis is not a geographical Eden. It sits in the middle of the finest agricultural area in the world, and smells like it. Mooo, poooooooooop, mooo.

I wouldn't trade it for anything, and I'm an engineer.

Those of you with political leanings to the left will adore the city.

Go AGS!!

slostang
January 17th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I wish I had a digi - cam picture of the Dairy Barns that showed the girls lookin' across the street to the new stadium structure. What a contrast to the aerial view of Santa Barbara ( from which my daughter just graduated from).

Davis is not a geographical Eden. It sits in the middle of the finest agricultural area in the world, and smells like it. Mooo, poooooooooop, mooo.

I wouldn't trade it for anything, and I'm an engineer.

Those of you with political leanings to the left will adore the city.

Go AGS!!
That is what makes Davis so unique, they are an Ag school that is in a town that leans left. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but you rarely see Ag and leaning left together. Most areas in California that are predominately Ag lean right, the rest of the State leans left.

bandl
January 18th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Anyone know if either Cal Poly or UC Davis will be among the ranked teams next year?? Serious question....no homerism! Honest opinions. ;) It's just an easier sell to the ladyfolk when I can say "CP is ranked in the top 15 in the nation"....or the like. xsmoochx

slostang
January 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Anyone know if either Cal Poly or UC Davis will be among the ranked teams next year?? Serious question....no homerism! Honest opinions. ;) It's just an easier sell to the ladyfolk when I can say "CP is ranked in the top 15 in the nation"....or the like. xsmoochx

Matt Dougherty of The Sports Network had Cal Poly ranked third next season in his season wrap up behind Appalachian State and New Hampshire. That was right after the playoffs and before transfers, coaching changes, recruits and spring ball so a lot can change before August. They most likely will be in the top 15 when it all shakes out.

Davis returns most of their offense and a good part of a really good defense. They will be a favorite in the Great West Football Conference. They should be ranked.

SochorField
January 18th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I agree that both should be ranked. However, the Aggies have had a hard time cracking the top-25, don't know why. FOr a long time we should have been ranked but werent. Non of us could figure it out.

Who knows what will happen next year.

ucdtim17
January 18th, 2006, 10:26 PM
It's a hell of an uphill slog for a western transitional team to get respect in the rankings. UCD was usually the most underranked team each week according to GPI. The schedule next year should once again be one of the toughest in the country and the team should be much better than the past 2, who have both spent time in the rankings. We'll see how it works out next year.

aggie6thman
January 18th, 2006, 10:38 PM
http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43c6cda0z86e14cde/5717/__sr_/28b4.jpg?phQlyzDBxYhronJ2
There we do, got it.

I don't know if you can see them, but there they are for you Aggie71! That is what I call homefield advantage!

wannabegaucho
January 18th, 2006, 11:23 PM
P8090077
*EDIT* Do pictures have to be on the web in order for me to post them?
Yes, they do. Host them at photobucket.

Russ B
January 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM
ucd usually has one or two games at 6 and then they like to play at 1:05 pm.

The UCD start time switches to the afternoon with the fall clock change. :)

Tom W
January 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I agree that both should be ranked. However, the Aggies have had a hard time cracking the top-25, don't know why. FOr a long time we should have been ranked but werent. Non of us could figure it out.

Who knows what will happen next year.

I disagree! I think Davis gets alot of respect in the polls. They did beat Stanford but I think they were 0-2 at the time. Their number of losses were always an issure with getting them ranked. They beat some very good teams during the year but, they also had some bad losses. I saw them get totally dominated in Cheney, Washington with EWU playing second teamers for over half of the game.

lucchesicourt
January 19th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Yes, UCD did get dominated by EWU at their place. But, UCD was playing without their 2 starting corners, their 4th-5th string RB, and without their top defensive lineman. So, sure if any team loses such talent it would be hard to win. However, UCD was beating UNH with under 1 minute to play, totally dominated Stanford, a close lose to Portland State (ranked at the time). They beat Cal Poly and NDSU ranked opponents. I could go on. I also know they lost to some teams that they SHOULD have beat if they want to get ranked. However, the previous year UCD was 5-0 against D1AA opponents and was unranked then too. They were 1 of a few undefeated teams at the time. T o say UVD was NOT slighted compared to other schools is really easy to argue. Let's face the FACTS. UCD was the conference champions, but was unranked and two conference opponents that UCD beat were ranked at the end of the year. So, the second and third place teams were ranked higher than the conference champions. Did this happen to any other conference champion? I would think NOT!!!

Russ B
January 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Though, to be fair, the GWFC teams are in a somewhat unique position of having more OOC games than conference games, so it's quite possible to win the conference and finish with a losing record.

slostang
January 19th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Yes, UCD did get dominated by EWU at their place. But, UCD was playing without their 2 starting corners, their 4th-5th string RB, and without their top defensive lineman. So, sure if any team loses such talent it would be hard to win. However, UCD was beating UNH with under 1 minute to play, totally dominated Stanford, a close lose to Portland State (ranked at the time). They beat Cal Poly and NDSU ranked opponents. I could go on. I also know they lost to some teams that they SHOULD have beat if they want to get ranked. However, the previous year UCD was 5-0 against D1AA opponents and was unranked then too. They were 1 of a few undefeated teams at the time. T o say UVD was NOT slighted compared to other schools is really easy to argue. Let's face the FACTS. UCD was the conference champions, but was unranked and two conference opponents that UCD beat were ranked at the end of the year. So, the second and third place teams were ranked higher than the conference champions. Did this happen to any other conference champion? I would think NOT!!!
I think UC Davis has been over looked in the polls, but no other conference champion had five losses. Davis was ranked after their win at Stanford, but lost to two unranked teams and fell out. The Aggies starters could play with any I-AA team in the country, but they lacked depth. This will not be an issue in the future when Davis will become fully funded with 63 scholarships. The rest of the I-AA world better be prepared when that happens, because Davis is a solid program. Not only that, but look out for the GWFC when SDSU and NDSU add more depth. The GWFC may not have a lot of teams, but pound for pound they are one of the toughest and will only get better.

lucchesicourt
January 19th, 2006, 07:47 PM
slostang, you are so right!! We have more quality programs than any other conference in relation to patsies, especially now that the power of our conference has defected to the Big Sky, right!!! Didn't they finsih last every year of the conference (2). Big Sky needed this so the top team would not incur more that 4 losses.

lucchesicourt
January 19th, 2006, 08:00 PM
slostang, I agree that we lost some games to unranked opponents that we should have beat, but injuries were also a huge part of this. When we played NDSU and Cal Poly we weren't hurt anything as badly as when we played EWU. Do you think if EWU had lost their 1,2,and 3 RB's and both starting corners against a UCD team that throws the football extremely well too, that EWU may have lost against UCD too. I believe we only beat Cal Poly due to their injuries too. You cannot lose such quality athletes and win, especially when you have NO depth. I believe Cal Poly has much more depth than UCD, but if Poly had been forced to use their 4th string RB, lost their starting corners, and their best Defensive lineman as UCD had, do you think Cal Poly would have played as close game as the one that was played (I know you played without your starting QB and all star RB)? Taking this into account, if both teams were healthy, I believe Cal Poly would have won. But, if Poly and had the same injuries as UCD, I believe the UCD victory margin would have been greater.

slostang
January 19th, 2006, 08:17 PM
slostang, I agree that we lost some games to unranked opponents that we should have beat, but injuries were also a huge part of this. When we played NDSU and Cal Poly we weren't hurt anything as badly as when we played EWU. Do you think if EWU had lost their 1,2,and 3 RB's and both starting corners against a UCD team that throws the football extremely well too, that EWU may have lost against UCD too. I believe we only beat Cal Poly due to their injuries too. You cannot lose such quality athletes and win, especially when you have NO depth. I believe Cal Poly has much more depth than UCD, but if Poly had been forced to use their 4th string RB, lost their starting corners, and their best Defensive lineman as UCD had, do you think Cal Poly would have played as close game as the one that was played (I know you played without your starting QB and all star RB)? Taking this into account, if both teams were healthy, I believe Cal Poly would have won. But, if Poly and had the same injuries as UCD, I believe the UCD victory margin would have been greater.
You make some good points. That is why I said when you add more depth with the added schollies, the I-AA world better watch out.

bandl
January 20th, 2006, 06:50 AM
How difficult will it be to get tix at either UCD or CP? If I were to show up the day of, could I get tix? If I were to buy tix as soon as I booked a flight out there to see my girlfriend while she's on business (say, about 1 or 2 weeks in advance), could I get tix?

Russ B
January 20th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Not generally a problem to get tix the day of for UCD unless it's the Causeway game or SLO. You may not get reserved seats, though. 1-2 weeks in advance would be fine, for sure.

slostang
January 20th, 2006, 08:05 PM
How difficult will it be to get tix at either UCD or CP? If I were to show up the day of, could I get tix? If I were to buy tix as soon as I booked a flight out there to see my girlfriend while she's on business (say, about 1 or 2 weeks in advance), could I get tix?
Cal Poly has had sold out games the last couple of years. They will open up a renovated stadium next year with additional seating so I do not know about next year. Even on sold out games, you could usually go online early in the week and get tickets. They would usually announce the sell outs around Wednesday.

Poly Pigskin
January 21st, 2006, 02:32 AM
Cal Poly has had sold out games the last couple of years. They will open up a renovated stadium next year with additional seating so I do not know about next year. Even on sold out games, you could usually go online early in the week and get tickets. They would usually announce the sell outs around Wednesday.

I had a friend visiting the week we played SUU, and she was able to but a ticket at the gate. I would imagine with the increased seating next season that it shouldn't be a problem unless it's homecoming or the Davis game.