PDA

View Full Version : Georgia State on the cover of ESPN the Mag

glsjunior
August 11th, 2010, 10:33 AM
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/572/screenshot20100811at105.png

In stores Aug 13. There's some FCS respect for you.

Video of the photo shoot

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5452478

Dane96
August 11th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Havent read the article yet, but my guess is it talks mostly about the program being born and aspirations of it moving to FBS with their current staff and facilities.

So, it is probably a backhanded respect article...if any.

glsjunior
August 11th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hey we gotta take what we can get. And for the record, any FBS aspirations are mostly those of alumni and students. The administration officially has no opinion on the issue.

elon77
August 11th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Is Lefty coming back?xsplatx

SpeedkingATL
August 11th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Pretty good publicity for the GaSt program IMO. I got a copy of the GSU Magazine in the mail yesterday which features the football program. Nice mag and surprised that it was sent to me as I do live in ATL but have no connection to GaSt.

Notice their opener is on a Thursday night and a few of us from my office now plan to attend. Nice to get a football fix 2 days prior to App States opener at UTC. One question: What the heck is Shorter University??xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

GA St. MBB Fan
August 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Nice mag and surprised that it was sent to me as I do live in ATL but have no connection to GaSt.

That is interesting. Have you received the magazine in the past as well?

RabidRabbit
August 11th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Congrats to the new Panthers on the block. Wonderful recognition from a reknown sports rag.

Please keep this focused on the article/cover from SI.

I'd much prefer to keep this into FCS discussion than smack.

SaintDK10
August 11th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Here's a close up of it. Look at those beautiful GSU letters on the eye black.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs275.snc4/40067_10150240247895282_865295281_14135862_2453951 _n.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 02:25 PM
How many FCS programs have been pictured on the cover of ESPN The Magazine or Sports Illustrated since 1-AA/FCS was created? How did they get there? What were the circumstances? Football only . . . .

FormerPokeCenter
August 11th, 2010, 02:28 PM
How many FCS programs have been pictured on the cover of ESPN The Magazine or Sports Illustrated since 1-AA/FCS was created? How did they get there? What were the circumstances?

Moreover, why aren't South Alabama and/or Lamar pictured on the cover with their first-year start-ups? I mean, come on, you gotta give Lamar their props for their comparatively aggressive scheduling. While they can't rent the Georgia Dome, they're pumping money into their program...

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Moreover, why aren't South Alabama and/or Lamar pictured on the cover with their first-year start-ups? I mean, come on, you gotta give Lamar their props for their comparatively aggressive scheduling. While they can't rent the Georgia Dome, they're pumping money into their program...

I'm serious - when have FCS programs been on the covers of ESPN or SI?

Appalachian State was famously on the cover of Sports Illustrated for beating Michigan (http://blog.mlive.com/wolverines/2007/09/large_0910_large.jpg). Lafayette's Frank Baur (http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1989/0904_large.jpg) was on the cover of SI in 1989. Others?

ValleyBoy
August 11th, 2010, 02:41 PM

South Alabama fielded a team last year.

9/5/2009 Sat. Hargrave (Va.) Military Academy Mobile W 30-13
9/26/2009 Sat. Army Prep Mobile W 56-0
10/10/2009 Sat. Georgia Military J.C. Mobile W 31-3
10/17/2009 Sat. Louisburg (N.C.) J.C. Mobile W 41-7
10/31/2009 Sat. Fork Union (Va.) Military Academy Mobile W 64-6
11/7/2009 Sat. Milford (N.Y.) Academy (Homecoming) Mobile W 64-12
11/12/2009 Thu. Huntingdon (Ala.) College Mobile W 35-0

ValleyBoy
August 11th, 2010, 02:45 PM
What does 24,214 pounds and 7,908 inches mean.

SaintDK10
August 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM
The've added up all the weight and height of our players.

FormerPokeCenter
August 11th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I'm serious - when have FCS programs been on the covers of ESPN or SI?

Appalachian State was famously on the cover of SI for beating Michigan (http://blog.mlive.com/wolverines/2007/09/large_0910_large.jpg). Lafayette's Frank Baur was on the cover of Sports Illustrated (http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1989/0904_large.jpg) in 1989. Others?

Oh, I get that. Wasn't a Georgia Sate alum listed as being in an ownership position with some of the Atlanta area sports teams in another thread extilling the "virtues" of Georgia Sate? I'd be interested in seeing what sort of advertisements run in this edition of the ESPN magazine or on their channel, itself. That might tell you all you need to know about why they were chosen for the cover over other first-year start ups...

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM

Probably the combined height and weight of the Georgia State football team...

UAalum72
August 11th, 2010, 02:57 PM
One question: What the heck is Shorter University??xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

1200-student Christian college in Rome, GA. Last year was 6-5, 3-3 in the NAIA Mid-South Conference, Western Divison. Football program is five years old. Founded in 1873 as the Cherokee Baptist Female College.

JMUNJ08
August 11th, 2010, 03:38 PM
The reason why Ga St. is featured over the others is they have had that special documenting the start of the program since it was first announced years ago. ESPN has always played a hand in the start-up compared to only FCS people knowing about S. Alabama and Lamar for example...

1200-student Christian college in Rome, GA. Last year was 6-5, 3-3 in the NAIA Mid-South Conference, Western Divison. Football program is five years old. Founded in 1873 as the Cherokee Baptist Female College.

The name Shorter is just a LITTLE bit better...

Skjellyfetti
August 11th, 2010, 05:03 PM
How many FCS programs have been pictured on the cover of ESPN The Magazine or Sports Illustrated since 1-AA/FCS was created? How did they get there? What were the circumstances? Football only . . . .

http://blog.mlive.com/wolverines/2007/09/large_0910_large.jpg

wr70beh
August 12th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I would venture to say that if it were anyone else leading the startup of Georgia State football, they wouldn't even be recognized. But since Bill Curry, who worked at ESPN for years and is a former coach at big time programs, is leading the startup, they are getting the free publicity.

If North Alabama were to move up to Division I, they would get publicity because of Terry Bowden. It's all in a name.

Monarch Nation
August 12th, 2010, 11:41 AM
The pub is great, no doubt about that. But it does put a lot of pressure on the program to produce quickly. Losing to Alabama is a given and probably Jax State, but if they happen to drop their opener to Shorter or their 2nd game to DII opponent (I forgot who they play after Shorter) then that will be a large amount of egg on the faces of GaState and ESPN.

GA St. MBB Fan
August 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM
The pub is great, no doubt about that. But it does put a lot of pressure on the program to produce quickly. Losing to Alabama is a given and probably Jax State, but if they happen to drop their opener to Shorter or their 2nd game to DII opponent (I forgot who they play after Shorter) then that will be a large amount of egg on the faces of GaState and ESPN.

How so? Just because we are on the cover doesn't mean we are invicible. The cover and the stories in the magazine or about building a program. Not about beating D-II opponents.

Hammer22
August 12th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Great news for Georgia State. It was very clever to put a baby on the front, as it will be an attention grabber since it's on an ESPN magazine. There is no mention of FBS in the magazine and I'm sure there was no sports team owner role in getting Ga. State in the magazine. But, ESPN has seven episodes of GSU building a program and Curry's roots run deep. Can't beat national attention

Hammer22
August 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Here's the article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5450392

MplsBison
August 12th, 2010, 02:17 PM
This is undoubtedly the most media attention that GSU has ever seen. xnodx

dirty bird
August 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I'm with Georgia State fan - it's good publicity, and publicity helps your program sell recruits in other parts of the country that haven't seen nor heard of Georgia State.

Coach Coker has come out on ESPN Gameday a couple of times and he's totally advertised UTSA on the network [they've even ran stories on him and UTSA in their website]. Before Coach Coker, no one heard of UTSA. But that's part of his job and that's Bill Curry's as well: to sell the program via recruiting visits, facilities, publications, in people's homes, with advertisers, or with football clinics, by any means possible.

Monarch Nation
August 12th, 2010, 02:50 PM
How so? Just because we are on the cover doesn't mean we are invicible. The cover and the stories in the magazine or about building a program. Not about beating D-II opponents.

Relax man, not taking a shot at you or the program. Just my thoughts. Being hyped by ESPN brings expectations, and losing is not part of that expectation (the expectations of those not already involved in the GaState program booster or otherwise).

Anyway, congrats on the good pub.

panama
August 12th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Someone GETS it!

I'm with Georgia State fan - it's good publicity, and publicity helps your program sell recruits in other parts of the country that haven't seen nor heard of Georgia State.

Coach Coker has come out on ESPN Gameday a couple of times and he's totally advertised UTSA on the network [they've even ran stories on him and UTSA in their website]. Before Coach Coker, no one heard of UTSA. But that's part of his job and that's Bill Curry's as well: to sell the program via recruiting visits, facilities, publications, in people's homes, with advertisers, or with football clinics, by any means possible.

FormerPokeCenter
August 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM

While there's no real quarrel with what you've said, the objectionable part of the cover story is that ESPN, both the magazine and the network, are guilty of really lazy journalism. They've elected to provide coverage to one of their own, ostensibly in lieu of engaging in any real journalism to check out the other start ups. C'mon, if you're a national outlet and you provide a stamp of legitimacy to a program that's yet to play a game, solely because the coach used to work for you, when there are other start-ups out there, it's just lazy...it's picking the low-hanging fruit because of the association with Curry.

GA St. MBB Fan
August 12th, 2010, 08:14 PM
While there's no real quarrel with what you've said, the objectionable part of the cover story is that ESPN, both the magazine and the network, are guilty of really lazy journalism. They've elected to provide coverage to one of their own, ostensibly in lieu of engaging in any real journalism to check out the other start ups. C'mon, if you're a national outlet and you provide a stamp of legitimacy to a program that's yet to play a game, solely because the coach used to work for you, when there are other start-ups out there, it's just lazy...it's picking the low-hanging fruit because of the association with Curry.

Why don't you write a letter to ESPN about it? At least shoot them an email and see what their response is. Perhaps you can post it here afterwards?

GA St. MBB Fan
August 12th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Relax man, not taking a shot at you or the program. Just my thoughts. Being hyped by ESPN brings expectations, and losing is not part of that expectation (the expectations of those not already involved in the GaState program booster or otherwise).

Anyway, congrats on the good pub.

Ok, but I still don't understand how losing would put egg on the faces of those at GA State and ESPN?

PhoenixSupreme
August 12th, 2010, 11:28 PM
The ESPN magazine article (and some supplementary videos) have hit the ESPN website front page. I'm watching the videos right now, and it's pretty interesting.

*and btw this is not associated with the Smack thread topic I made...I did that for fun*

FormerPokeCenter
August 13th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Why don't you write a letter to ESPN about it? At least shoot them an email and see what their response is. Perhaps you can post it here afterwards?

I suppose I could do that. What's the point? Do you really expect ESPN to say, "Ya know, you're right. We were lazy on this one?" No, if a response came, it would cite a laundry list of reasons why they elected to cover Curry's start up, over - say - the likes of Lamar and/or South Alabama.

Now, I will give ESPN props for the way it was honest about detailing the fact that Georgia Sate is starting a team in a calculated, if not desperate, effort to shed the commuter school label and seeking the relevance that intercollegiate football provides.

But, I think it was a huge opportunity for them to investigate the other start-ups out there and actually report, instead of simply becoming Curry's advocate in the national media. Again, it's just plain lazy ;)

henfan
August 13th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Unless the article completely trashes GSU, how could anyone possibly decry this sort of free publicity- a cover no less? This is good pub for GSU and the CAA.

That said, ESPN Magazine sports one of the poorest layouts of any magazine I've ever read. The content is fine, not exceptional.

PantherRob82
August 15th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I had a great conversation with a native of Atlanta who was a Morehouse grad and stayed in the area. It really put a lot of the GaSt fanbase/situation in perspective. I get where you guys are coming from a little bit better now. I hope you can sucessfully pull in your alums who have been cheering for UG or GT for years.

GA St. MBB Fan
August 15th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Yep, there's a whole lot of not caring going on in that post ;) Multiple paragraphs of not caring ;)

Consistency is apparently NOT a part of the "critical thinking" class at Georgia Sate...

BTW, if one of the Georgia Sate commuter students screwed up my order at McDonalds, I might be inclined to visit Burger King to see if they could get my order right...;)

Did it really take you over a day to come up with that?

And even still, you have no response to the suggestion that if you have a problem with ESPN's coverage, then go tell them about it. Rather, you drivel on about multiple paragaphs, critical thinking classes, consistency, and commuter students. Stop trying to divert attention from the actual issue of our discussion.

GA St. MBB Fan
August 15th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I had a great conversation with a native of Atlanta who was a Morehouse grad and stayed in the area. It really put a lot of the GaSt fanbase/situation in perspective. I get where you guys are coming from a little bit better now. I hope you can sucessfully pull in your alums who have been cheering for UG or GT for years.

Thank you.

FormerPokeCenter
August 15th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Did it really take you over a day to come up with that?

And even still, you have no response to the suggestion that if you have a problem with ESPN's coverage, then go tell them about it. Rather, you drivel on about multiple paragaphs, critical thinking classes, consistency, and commuter students. Stop trying to divert attention from the actual issue of our discussion.

It must be the critical thinking course that embues Georgia Sate grads with the notion that they and they alone control the content of a discussion about ESPN the Mag's coverage. You brought up McDonald's and Burger King, so I responded in kind. Why is it that you have an issue with fair commentary on these threads? The other guy's a lot like that, too.

You make a post on a message board and it gets discussed. If you don't like that not everybody thinks that Georgia Sate is the end all, be all of FCS, try staying on your own board where you can control content. It's a simple concept really.

Back to the matter at hand. It was lazy reportage on the part of ESPN, simply because they knew they'd have great access because of the association with Curry. If you don't like reading opinions that you find contrary to your world view, then ignore them...or ignore me...

If you can ;)

SaintDK10
August 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM
It must be the critical thinking course that embues Georgia Sate grads with the notion that they and they alone control the content of a discussion about ESPN the Mag's coverage. You brought up McDonald's and Burger King, so I responded in kind. Why is it that you have an issue with fair commentary on these threads? The other guy's a lot like that, too.

You make a post on a message board and it gets discussed. If you don't like that not everybody thinks that Georgia Sate is the end all, be all of FCS, try staying on your own board where you can control content. It's a simple concept really.

Back to the matter at hand. It was lazy reportage on the part of ESPN, simply because they knew they'd have great access because of the association with Curry. If you don't like reading opinions that you find contrary to your world view, then ignore them...or ignore me...

If you can ;)
Someone who has attended McNeese Community College, a fine institution that literally has "having a pulse as the main admission requirement," really shouldn't be talking about GSU's critical thinking courses, or any academic subjects for that matter.

bjtheflamesfan
August 15th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Look...I love yall but this is getting really old REALLY fast...I dont want to have to give all of yall a week's vacation (especially Saint and FPC).

bjtheflamesfan
August 16th, 2010, 05:49 AM
ALright, Im shutting this down so I dont have to sift through any more of this stupidity while I try to determine what actually has to do with the topic at hand and what doesnt...this is NOT an endorsement of any poster or group of posters and should not be considered as such...anyone who DOES think that...now THAT is someone who needs a critical thinking course...

GA St. MBB Fan
August 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that, thanks to Head Linesman, this thread has been cleansed of the Smack. And as such is reopened for discussion on the original topic.

FormerPokeCenter
August 17th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that, thanks to Head Linesman, this thread has been cleansed of the Smack. And as such is reopened for discussion on the original topic.

Actually, ALL the smack hasn't been cleansed...Just SOME of the more egregious posts...There are a few posts that escaped the surgeon's knife. But, for the most part, the stuff that remains is on point, particularly the earlier posts about the ESPN/Curry association angle, lazy reportage, etc.

None of those facts take away from the fact that it's nice publicity. I just personally would have preferred to see ESPN engage in some actual journalism by looking into the other FCS startups, rather than going with the low-hanging fruit it could get to through Curry, its former employee...

GA St. MBB Fan
August 17th, 2010, 09:54 PM
None of those facts take away from the fact that it's nice publicity. I just personally would have preferred to see ESPN engage in some actual journalism by looking into the other FCS startups, rather than going with the low-hanging fruit it could get to through Curry, its former employee...

Well I guess that is indicative of the media today. Its not about journalism, its about entertainment. And most (if not all) magazines are more focused on their advertisers than their readers.

[biting my tongue]

Bogus Megapardus
August 17th, 2010, 09:56 PM
its about entertainment

Cue Father Brooks at Holy Cross . . . . .

glsjunior
August 18th, 2010, 12:57 AM
It is pretty shallow to think that the only reason that ESPN put us on the COVER of their national magazine is that a former analyst is the coach. It is a factor for sure, but ESPN has former analysts all over the place. The truth is that it is a compelling story. It is about a huge university, in the most important city in the Southeast, in the most fervent football region, starting a program from scratch. The equivalent would be if NYU started a division 1 basketball program and hired ESPN host Bob Valvano as coach.

FormerPokeCenter
August 18th, 2010, 07:15 AM
It is pretty shallow to think that the only reason that ESPN put us on the COVER of their national magazine is that a former analyst is the coach. It is a factor for sure, but ESPN has former analysts all over the place. The truth is that it is a compelling story. It is about a huge university, in the most important city in the Southeast, in the most fervent football region, starting a program from scratch. The equivalent would be if NYU started a division 1 basketball program and hired ESPN host Bob Valvano as coach.

Thank you for succinctly illustrating the mindset that makes it quite impossible to have an objective, rational discussion with Georgia Sate fans.

Where were you about 6,000 posts ago?

Mr. Bojangles
August 18th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I imagine that season ticket sales have increased since the magazine came out. Last I heard it was around 3200. What is the number now?