PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette @ North Dakota State in 2011

carney2
August 10th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Lafayette coach, Frank Tavani, announced at an alumni gathering that the Leopards will play North Dakota State in Fargo in 2011. Best guess is October 8th, looking at the schedule published in the online Lafayette Media Guide.

Bogus Megapardus
August 10th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Of all the . . . why couldn't it be Montana or Appalachian or McNeese? Why not CalPoly, the team I've been dying to play? There's no way I can put up with that annoying little maggot between now and then.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 10th, 2010, 09:38 PM
This is cool deal for Lafayette. There was talk a month or two ago about Lehigh perhaps playing NDSU. This is the type of OOC game for the Pards that'll get them respect if they can win.

Historically, Lafayette does not travel. This might be their first trip west of the Mississippi in 60+ years.

Sader87
August 10th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Of all the . . . why couldn't it be Montana or Appalachian or McNeese? Why not CalPoly, the team I've been dying to play? There's no way I can put up with that annoying little maggot between now and then.

LOL!!! Maybe MplsBison has an empty room? ....sorry, feel your pain.

JBB
August 10th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Make no mistake about it. We are glad to have Lafayette coming to Fargo. They will get the red carpet. its a great game for both schools.

Bogus Megapardus
August 10th, 2010, 09:47 PM
LOL!!! Maybe MplsBison has an empty room? ....sorry, feel your pain.

Never again an uncharitable thought about Sader87.

I mean, anyone but NDSU. Anyone.

carney2
August 10th, 2010, 09:55 PM

It wasn't clarified, but it could be home and home. This could go on for years. Perhaps we'll need to locate a second cannon.

Franks Tanks
August 10th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Lafayette coach, Frank Tavani, announced at an alumni gathering that the Leopards will play North Dakota State in Fargo in 2011. Best guess is October 8th, looking at the schedule published in the online Lafayette Media Guide.

This must be a joke.

TheBisonator
August 10th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I dunno about Oct. 8th. We're playing Southern Illinois on 10/08/11. However, the SIU game might be moved to either 9/3 or 9/10, then Lafayette moved to 10/8.

Either way, it's great to have the schedule finished!!

TheBisonator
August 10th, 2010, 10:45 PM
This must be a joke.

Why is it a joke?? All of a sudden we're beneath you, or something??

(Academically yes, but I'm talking about football programs, here)

Gil Dobie
August 10th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Would be NDSU's first Patriot team. Nice OOC game.

Franks Tanks
August 10th, 2010, 10:52 PM

Not at all. It is very out of character of us to stick our necks out and play an unknown opponent. We have never played a game west of the Mississippi!

My post was along the lines of "I cant believe this game is a reality so someone must be pulling my leg." NDSU has a tremendous FB program, despite the recent struggles, and I am pleased we are stepping up and playing this game.

Bogus Megapardus
August 10th, 2010, 11:04 PM

I think it's just that Lafayette has a certain "comfort zone." Five of its opponents are within a 45 minute drive, and two (Lehigh and Princeton) can literally be reached by bicycle (I know - I've done it). It's highly unusual, to say the least, for Lafayette to be traveling to Fargo, North Dakota (though students certainly come to Lafayette from North Dakota). We play the PL schedule and the Ivies, plus one CAA or Big South team. That's it. If it's not on the Cross-Bridge Lines regular route sheet, we generally don't go there.

Were it not for a certain poster here whose antics sully things terribly, I'd be excited with the game. I'm assuming that this game will be in lieu of a CAA/Big South/SoCon game. I do hope it's a home and home. I don't imagine the Bison have played anywhere quite like Fisher Field.

Question - why would NDSU want to play a tiny, non-scholarship east coast college?

Fordham
August 10th, 2010, 11:12 PM
GO PARDS!!!!

great team to put on your schedule. Well done!

TheValleyRaider
August 10th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Great game for Lafayette xsmileyclapx

Gonna look forward to this one xnodx

Bogus Megapardus
August 10th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I have determined that Fargo, North Dakota is almost in Minnesota. I mean, it's Phillipsburg-close. If we break the news to the team they're going to Minnesota, which doesn't seem quite so far, perhaps not as many will need to be revived.

Will they still need passports?

TheBisonator
August 10th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I think it's just that Lafayette has a certain "comfort zone." Five of its opponents are within a 45 minute drive, and two (Lehigh and Princeton) can literally be reached by bicycle (I know - I've done it). It's highly unusual, to say the least, for Lafayette to be traveling to Fargo, North Dakota (though students certainly come to Lafayette from North Dakota). We play the PL schedule and the Ivies, plus one CAA or Big South team. That's it. If it's not on the Cross-Bridge Lines regular route sheet, we generally don't go there.

Were it not for a certain poster here whose antics sully things terribly, I'd be excited with the game. I'm assuming that this game will be in lieu of a CAA/Big South/SoCon game. I do hope it's a home and home. I don't imagine the Bison have played anywhere quite like Fisher Field.

Question - why would NDSU want to play a tiny, non-scholarship east coast college?

OK, I understand what you're saying. (Sorry for the defensiveness:D) I would personally love to travel out to PA to your cool mini-Molson Stadium and see the Bison play Lafayette sometime in the near future. I wanna see all the improvements you did to your digs. (Although I think if anything, this would be a 2-for-1 with 2 at NDSU if this started as a series.)

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 12:18 AM
If this game is played October 8, NDSU will be sandwiched directly between Harvard and Yale on our schedule. Nice storyline for the Bison, who might otherwise have some trouble explaining to North Dakotans exactly who/what Lafayette is.

Pard94
August 11th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Very cool! We generally do well against Bison. Kind of reminds me of when Liberty first showed up on the schedule. My reaction was, "Really???". Can't wait for this one.

jimbo65
August 11th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Not at all. It is very out of character of us to stick our necks out and play an unknown opponent. We have never played a game west of the Mississippi!

I found your statement unusual until I tried to think if Fordham has played beyond the MS River. With the exception of a game at Curley Lambeau Field to commemorate some Lombardi event, the answer is no. Actually, I'm unsure if Gr. Bay is west of the MS. Fordham & Holy Cross did play a game in Ireland during our PL tenure.

Franks Tanks
August 11th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I found your statement unusual until I tried to think if Fordham has played beyond the MS River. With the exception of a game at Curley Lambeau Field to commemorate some Lombardi event, the answer is no. Actually, I'm unsure if Gr. Bay is west of the MS. Fordham & Holy Cross did play a game in Ireland during our PL tenure.

How bout the Rose Bowl?

According to College Football Data Warehouse Fordham has played Oregon and Oregon State. However, I was too lazy to look up if they were home or away.

Based on some quick research it appears App State is the southern and westernmost spot where we have played.

carney2
August 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I dunno about Oct. 8th. We're playing Southern Illinois on 10/08/11. However, the SIU game might be moved to either 9/3 or 9/10, then Lafayette moved to 10/8.

October 8th is a total WAG on my part based on a peek at the recently (last few days) published Lafayette schedule in its online Media Guide. I did not cross reference to the NDSU schedule and freely admit that there could easily (likely?) be some movement of games at both ends to make room for this.

I, like my fellow Pards, was astounded to hear this news. The schedule is usually put together using the following formula:

Patriot League games (that's 6 at the moment)

+ as many Ivy games as possible (4 last year and this)

+ (I'm taking Franks' word for this) 1 "scholarship" program

There has been little or no "adventure" over the years. I was thrilled when Liberty was announced. And now to cross the Mississippi. They must be testing a new brand of bourbon in Bourger Varsity House.

Feel free to sell those seats in the visiting stands, NDSU. Patriot League teams generally don't travel well. This one will be akin to booking into Katmandu for the average Pard fan who balks at making the trek to Colgate in Hamilton, NY.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Feel free to sell those seats in the visiting stands, NDSU. Patriot League teams generally don't travel well. This one will be akin to booking into Katmandu for the average Pard fan who balks at making the trek to Colgate in Hamilton, NY.

Lafayette could be quite a curiosity in Fargo. Kinda like having an exotic new mammal from a distant continent at the zoo. Are they contagious? Do they bite?

darell1976
August 11th, 2010, 09:15 AM
If this game is played October 8, NDSU will be sandwiched directly between Harvard and Yale on our schedule. Nice storyline for the Bison, who might otherwise have some trouble explaining to North Dakotans exactly who/what Lafayette is.

I didn't know you were out east I heard Lafayette and I thought Louisiana, or Indiana isn't Purdue in West Lafayette.xlolx Great pickup for NDSU. We need more teams from east of the Mississippi to come this way.

jimbo65
August 11th, 2010, 09:17 AM
How bout the Rose Bowl?

According to College Football Data Warehouse Fordham has played Oregon and Oregon State. However, I was too lazy to look up if they were home or away.

Based on some quick research it appears App State is the southern and westernmost spot where we have played.
Good find. When I posted, I was thinking of the "modern" era i.e., post 1954 when big time fball was dropped. Actually, Fordham appeared in the Sugar Bowl, New Orleans & the Cotton Bowl in TX. They also had a series with St. Mary's CA, however, those games may all have been in NYC. Fordham played most of its games at home when they were a national power. Teams such as Minnesota & No Carolina liked to travel to NYC & play at the Polo Grounds/Yankee Stadium.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Good find. When I posted, I was thinking of the "modern" era i.e., post 1954 when big time fball was dropped. Actually, Fordham appeared in the Sugar Bowl, New Orleans & the Cotton Bowl in TX. They also had a series with St. Mary's CA, however, those games may all have been in NYC. Fordham played most of its games at home when they were a national power. Teams such as Minnesota & No Carolina liked to travel to NYC & play at the Polo Grounds/Yankee Stadium.

By contrast, has NDSU ever played a team on the east coast? I know the Bison have a pretty long football history.

Franks Tanks
August 11th, 2010, 09:30 AM
By contrast, has NDSU ever played a team on the east coast? I know the Bison have a pretty long football history.

They played Central Conn. I believe. They probably played some Eastern Schools in the D-II playoffs at some point as they were in the playoffs nearly every year.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I'm unsure if Gr. Bay is west of the MS.

Green Bay is East of the Mississippi which begins in North-Central Minnesota. Fargo is about 100 miles west of the Mississippi headwaters. Note to self - why on earth do I even know that?

They played Central Conn. I believe. They probably played some Eastern Schools in the D-II playoffs at some point as they were in the playoffs nearly every year.

I just checked - the CCSU game was in Fargo but NDSU played Army once in 1932 at West Point. Also - you're correct; NDSU played at Shippensburg in a D-II playoff game.

darell1976
August 11th, 2010, 09:42 AM
1932 they played at Army and at George Washington. The game against Central Conn was in Fargo.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 09:45 AM
There has been little or no "adventure" over the years. I was thrilled when Liberty was announced. And now to cross the Mississippi.

Back-to-back wins over Richmond were nice, too.

GradBison
August 11th, 2010, 10:13 AM
The game has been officially announced on September 3 on GoBison.com

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=204975935

Very happy to see this game and the 2011 schedule completed! Looking forward to it.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM
September 3? We don't get out of bed that early.

Actually, this is a concern. This will mean that we begin 2011 with five straight road games, and will have only four home games all year. I'm pleased to be playing NDSU, but you'd think we could have arranged for a home game to balance things out. 2011 will be a very tough year for the Leopards.

Lafayette College 2011

September

3 at North Dakota State
10 at Georgetown
17 at Penn
24 at Stony Brook
October

1 at Harvard
8 Bye
15 YALE
22 FORDHAM
29 BUCKNELL
November

5 COLGATE
12 at Holy Cross
19 at Lehigh

Go...gate
August 11th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Nice out of conference game. Good scheduling job by Lafayette and NDSU.

Go...gate
August 11th, 2010, 10:26 AM

Actually, this is a concern, This will mean that we begin 2011 with five straight road games, and will have only four home games all year. I'm pleased to be playing NDSU, but you'd think we could have arranged for a home game to balance things out. 2011 will be a very tough year for the Leopards.

Sounds like Colgate used to be with all those road trips.

RabidRabbit
August 11th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Nice to see a Patriot team venture out of their Mid-Atlantic/NE comfort zone for a good match-up. These are the kind of games that Patriot need to focus on making and winning if they want to get more than the AQ team into the FCS play-offs. CAA/Big South/MVFC/SoCon games will make a more compelling case than Ivy/NEC opponents.

Good game for the Bison, and GREAT, visionary game by Lafayette.

carney2
August 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Actually, this is a concern. This will mean that we begin 2011 with five straight road games, and will have only four home games all year. I'm pleased to be playing NDSU, but you'd think we could have arranged for a home game to balance things out. 2011 will be a very tough year for the Leopards.

Lafayette College 2011

September

3 at North Dakota State
10 at Georgetown
17 at Penn
24 at Stony Brook
October

1 at Harvard
8 Bye
15 YALE
22 FORDHAM
29 BUCKNELL
November

5 COLGATE
12 at Holy Cross
19 at Lehigh

We wil be playing Pennsylvania in Philadelphia two years in a row. Is this the make up call for Penn's two consecutive trips to Easton that had Penn coach, Al Bagnoli's, underwear all tied in knots?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 11th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Fun facts:

* Since 1987, Lafayette has only ventured south and west of Virginia three times: twice to play Davidson, and once to play App State in the first round of the 2006 FCS playoffs. All three, of course, were in North Carolina.

* The next out-of-conference game out of the comforts of the Northeast, Maryland, Virginia, or North Carolina? Try a game versus West Virginia.... in 1927.

* And aside from a three game swing in West Virginia in 1896 - that's it. Not a single trip west of the Mississippi. I'm not even sure a single Lafayette football player has ever even taken a plane to play football.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 11:44 AM
We wil be playing Pennsylvania in Philadelphia two years in a row. Is this the make up call for Penn's two consecutive trips to Easton that had Penn coach, Al Bagnoli's, underwear all tied in knots?

Either that, or the Whartons are trying to get as much use out of Franklin Field as they can, as quickly as they can, before it falls down. Any way we can pull an Al Bagnoli on Stony Brook? And for that matter, shall we now refer to the process of conniving two home games in a row as a "Bagnoli?"

Franks Tanks
August 11th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Fun facts:

* Since 1987, Lafayette has only ventured south and west of Virginia three times: twice to play Davidson, and once to play App State in the first round of the 2006 FCS playoffs. All three, of course, were in North Carolina.

* The next out-of-conference game out of the comforts of the Northeast, Maryland, Virginia, or North Carolina? Try a game versus West Virginia.... in 1927.

* And aside from a three game swing in West Virginia in 1896 - that's it. Not a single trip west of the Mississippi. I'm not even sure a single Lafayette football player has ever even taken a plane to play football.

The team flew to App State and Liberty.

LakesBison
August 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Carney2--Feel free to sell those seats in the visiting stands, NDSU. Patriot League teams generally don't travel well. This one will be akin to booking into Katmandu for the average Pard fan who balks at making the trek to Colgate in Hamilton, NY.

Already sold, NDSU only releases about 200 seats to visiting teams since we have 9000 season ticket holders and 4000+ students at game.
Im lukewarm on this game, but considering we have Georgia Southern at Home..it should be allright. a nice 2-0 with confidence going into the MINNESOTA game will be a good advantage in beating MINNESOTA AGAIN.

lafayatte fans. Sept 3rd is gorgeous up here, plan a trip to www.visitdetroitlakes.com or www.thumperpond.com 1 hour away on the lake and beach would do you east coasters good!!

Pard94
August 11th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Carney2--Feel free to sell those seats in the visiting stands, NDSU. Patriot League teams generally don't travel well. This one will be akin to booking into Katmandu for the average Pard fan who balks at making the trek to Colgate in Hamilton, NY.

Already sold, NDSU only releases about 200 seats to visiting teams since we have 9000 season ticket holders and 4000+ students at game.
Im lukewarm on this game, but considering we have Georgia Southern at Home..it should be allright. a nice 2-0 with confidence going into the MINNESOTA game will be a good advantage in beating MINNESOTA AGAIN.

lafayatte fans. Sept 3rd is gorgeous up here, plan a trip to www.visitdetroitlakes.com or www.thumperpond.com 1 hour away on the lake and beach would do you east coasters good!!

Perfect! Sounds just like certain Liberty and Richmond fans right up until we beat them at their respective stadiums. Oh and we scared the crap out of App State in the first round of the playoffs before they went on to win the national title. We do a good job of getting up for big games.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Perfect! Sounds just like certain Liberty and Richmond fans right up until we beat them at their respective stadiums. Oh and we scared the crap out of App State in the first round of the playoffs before they went on to win the national title. We do a good job of getting up for big games.

Slow down there, Pard. Remember - we're just a tiny, humble little college on a hill, somewhere in Pennsylvania. We don't even give scholarships and we never play anyone that Bison fans have ever heard of. Twice as many students attend NDSU games every weekend as we have enrolled in our entire institution. Our top 25 rankings and playoff appearances over the last decade were clearly in error, symbolic of an east coast bias that is endemic to the process. Why even practice? North Dakota State has nothing to worry about. Nothing . . . to . . . worry . . . about . . .

xcoolx

Pard94
August 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM

You are aware that the East Coast is essentially one long beach, right?

JBB
August 11th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Lake beaches and ocean beaches are two different things. Weather should be great for this game. Outside tailgating inside football. It will be a wonderful time.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM
You are aware that the East Coast is essentially one long beach, right?

Plus, PL alumni essentially own the Adirondacks. And Newport. Little known fact.

Pard94
August 11th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Lake beaches and ocean beaches are two different things. Weather should be great for this game. Outside tailgating inside football. It will be a wonderful time.

I would consider going just to hear that crazy ND accent....Y'ahh, you betcha!

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I imagine they all sound like Lawrence Welk.

Pard94
August 11th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I imagine they all sound like Lawrence Welk.

Don't diss Lawrence Welk in North Dakota...you might end up in a wood chipper.

JBB
August 11th, 2010, 01:24 PM
xlolx Yea Pard94 With the Dakota and east coast accents there just might be a language barrier!

Pard94
August 11th, 2010, 01:31 PM
xlolx Yea Pard94 With the Dakota and east coast accents there just might be a language barrier!

Nothing 2 or 10 beers tailgating wouldn't straighten right out.

aceinthehole
August 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Really, nothing west of the Miss? That surprises me. Central's 2008 trip to Fargo was the 4th time the Blue Devils headed out west for a game.

2000 at San Diego
1998 at San Diego
1986 at Cal Poly

Anyway, NDSU treated the CCSU program great on our trip. I'm sure the Pards will get a similarly warm welcoming from the Bison.

darell1976
August 11th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Accent? We don't have an accent don't ya know.

Husky Alum
August 11th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I echo ace's comments. Any Pard fans who want to get the royal treatment from perfect strangers, wear your school colors proud, and you'll be well fed and well lubricated by the time you walk into the Dome.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I came to Fargo with about $100 in my wallet when NU played in 2006. I left with about $90. I don't think any Bison fan let me pay for ANYTHING when I was in town.

TheBisonator
August 11th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I echo ace's comments. Any Pard fans who want to get the royal treatment from perfect strangers, wear your school colors proud, and you'll be well fed and well lubricated by the time you walk into the Dome.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I came to Fargo with about $100 in my wallet when NU played in 2006. I left with about $90. I don't think any Bison fan let me pay for ANYTHING when I was in town.

You were an awesome guy to drink with, Husky Alum.

carney2
August 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM

Oh, my. LakesBison got him started. There will be many a happy ChickenSquawk because the pressure will be off them until he comes back to earth.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 06:50 PM

This game is sounding better and better all the time. I hope Bison fans eventually will learn that, while small, Lafayette football is nothing to sneeze at. Lafayette's style of play will make it a highly entertaining game, if nothing else.

carney2
August 11th, 2010, 06:56 PM
This game is sounding better and better all the time.

I am already conjuring a way to show up, but I know it isn't going to happen. There's that word in the marriage contract: "obey."

carney2
August 11th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hey, Bison fans, I notice that NDSU does not play the University of North Dakota. I realize that you are in different conferences, but I would think this is a natural - a civil war, a geographic and civic must. Why is this game not scheduled?

Pard4Life
August 11th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Off the top of my head, this is the furthest west we have ever played. The furthest west we have ever played is either Morgantown (WVU) or Boone, NC (Appalachian St.). I'm not sure of the longitude, but it's pretty close.

It would have been the Sun Bowl in 1948, but yah know... Texas had issues back then.

This is awesome!! It's over Labor Day weekend no less, so I'd consider making the trip if the flight isn't $1000.

TheBisonator
August 11th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Hey, Bison fans, I notice that NDSU does not play the University of North Dakota. I realize that you are in different conferences, but I would think this is a natural - a civil war, a geographic and civic must. Why is this game not scheduled?

Oh boy... This question again.

I'll gladly tell you via PM (I'll give you the WHOLE story, in fact) if you PM me the question. I don't want to start another Bison/Sioux smackfest on here.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Oh boy... This question again.

I'll gladly tell you via PM (I'll give you the WHOLE story, in fact) if you PM me the question. I don't want to start another Bison/Sioux smackfest on here.

No fair. We spew our venom against Lehigh in public. Frequently.

Fess up.

Fordham
August 11th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Beautiful spots ... but is there anywhere in NORTH DAKOTA that an NDSU fan can recommend?

:D

Twentysix
August 11th, 2010, 08:05 PM
It wasn't clarified, but it could be home and home. This could go on for years. Perhaps we'll need to locate a second cannon.

Its a 1 and done for 100k+ from what i read on the fargo based rumor mill.

TheBisonator
August 11th, 2010, 08:08 PM
No fair. We spew our venom against Lehigh in public. Frequently.

Fess up.

All I'm gonna say is the NDSU/UND rivalry extends WAAAAAY beyond sports. It infects ND's state politics, higher education administrations and culture. It's been that way for 120+ years.

Gil Dobie
August 11th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Beautiful spots ... but is there anywhere in NORTH DAKOTA that an NDSU fan can recommend?

:D

Devils Lake for fishing, boating pleasures. Theodore Roosevelt National Park for scenery and the Marquis DeMores mansion. Fargo area has some nice golf courses in Edgewood and Hickson. Roger Maris Museum, Bonanzaville museum for a taste of prairie life in the 1800's. Scenic Pembina Hills. The Red River Valley is the 2nd largest flat area in the world, behind the Nile River Valley. Fargo-Moorhead is a college town, so there are lots of bars.

Twentysix
August 11th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Devils Lake for fishing, boating pleasures. Theodore Roosevelt National Park for scenery and the Marquis DeMores mansion. Fargo area has some nice golf courses in Edgewood and Hickson. Roger Maris Museum, Bonanzaville museum for a taste of prairie life in the 1800's. Scenic Pembina Hills. The Red River Valley is the 2nd largest flat area in the world, behind the Nile River Valley. Fargo-Moorhead is a college town, so there are lots of bars.

Settled by germans and norweigns. That atleast tripples the alotted college bar scene.

http://flowingdata.com/2010/03/02/where-bars-trump-grocery-stores/

Gil Dobie
August 11th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Settled by germans and norweigns. That atleast tripples the alotted college bar scene.

http://flowingdata.com/2010/03/02/where-bars-trump-grocery-stores/

The Icelanders already had there big celebration on August the Deuce in Mountain ND, wo we'll have to wait another year.

Twentysix
August 11th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Gene Taylor says LaFayette is a one year guarantee worth north of 100 K

(Fairly reliable)

FargoBison
August 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM

Our AD has tried, he has offered them two chances to play us. They said no once when they tried to stick it to us for going DI and that offer was beyond fair(home and homes for as long as both schools want to play every year).

The other more recent offer of a game every other year(home and home) is still on the table but UND's AD wants to play every year. But recent reports are that he is waffling, probably because our future schedules are filling up.

TheBisonator
August 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Gene Taylor says LaFayette is a one year guarantee worth north of 100 K

(Fairly reliable)

There's no capitalized F. You're gonna piss off our Leopard friends in this thread!!:D

Twentysix
August 11th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Oops :O but to be fair they are gonna call us bisons and say it wrong like all the announcers of all time. Maybe im exacting passive revenge premptivally.

darell1976
August 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM
All I'm gonna say is the NDSU/UND rivalry extends WAAAAAY beyond sports. It infects ND's state politics, higher education administrations and culture. It's been that way for 120+ years.

Perfect quote!! The UND/NDSU rivalry is one of the biggest in college football. Just go on Youtube and watch the rivalry on Football America. Its a shame it stopped after the 2003 season when the SU's left for the FCS but IMO it wasn't the fault of the fans but the powers of the U..(president, and AD whom are both gone) so there is a talk of resuming it. Of course an ideal solution would be to play every year and thats not going to happen unless UND gets into the MVFC or there is a Summit League because of the 8 conference games NDSU plays. So its on hold but wouldn't it be something if both teams met in the playoffs...2012 would be the first opportunity.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Its a 1 and done for 100k+ from what i read on the fargo based rumor mill.

Some folks on the Lafayette board will have to confirm this, but my hunch is that Lafayette is not playing this game for the money. Much more valuable is the diversification of our schedule (sorry, Columbia), the exposure and the ability to test our brand of football against a completely different kind of team. This game will be a good barometer for Lafayette and for the PL as a whole.

On a return trip to Easton, NDSU would not do as well financially. Attendance would only be about half of what you are anticipating in Fargo. It still would be great to have you, though.

Oops :O but to be fair they are gonna call us bisons and say it wrong like all the announcers of all time. Maybe im exacting passive revenge premptivally.

We have our own Bison in the PL - at Bucknell. We call them many different things. Carney2 usually sticks to "Buffalo" or some pejorative derivation thereof. Is it pronounced differently in Fargo?

Twentysix
August 11th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Its the first game of the season right?

It would be safe to anticipate 18,500 +/- 850

The money means we have no intention of going to your place.

Pronounced

bī-zən

I would assume the same. Announcers and media people alike are typically unfamilar with the word.

JBB
August 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Nothing 2 or 10 beers tailgating wouldn't straighten right out.

Well Pard94, in that case, if you travel well the beer is definitely on BisonBacker and Lakes. Because their hospitality is so generous Ill be there to help take advantage of it. Lakes will want us all to gather in the Rain Forest of course. xcoolx

Pard94
August 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Perfect quote!! The UND/NDSU rivalry is one of the biggest in college football. Just go on Youtube and watch the rivalry on Football America. Its a shame it stopped after the 2003 season when the SU's left for the FCS but IMO it wasn't the fault of the fans but the powers of the U..(president, and AD whom are both gone) so there is a talk of resuming it. Of course an ideal solution would be to play every year and thats not going to happen unless UND gets into the MVFC or there is a Summit League because of the 8 conference games NDSU plays. So its on hold but wouldn't it be something if both teams met in the playoffs...2012 would be the first opportunity.

Sounds good. We know a thing or two about storied football rivalries as well.

TheBisonator
August 11th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Sounds good. We know a thing or two about storied football rivalries as well.

But this isn't just a football rivalry, though. This extends to state politics and culture. If it was just about football, it would be all AOK. But there's a TON of petty political s**t involved with it as well.

Sader87
August 11th, 2010, 10:00 PM
But this isn't just a football rivalry, though. This extends to state politics and culture. If it was just about football, it would be all AOK. But there's a TON of petty political s**t involved with it as well.

...in North Dakota????

Twentysix
August 11th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Culture - the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture.

Culture isn't just art and plays, though we have that aswell. :P

Maybe not as much as the NE but hey, thats ok!

Franks Tanks
August 11th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Some folks on the Lafayette board will have to confirm this, but my hunch is that Lafayette is not playing this game for the money. Much more valuable is the diversification of our schedule (sorry, Columbia), the exposure and the ability to test our brand of football against a completely different kind of team. This game will be a good barometer for Lafayette and for the PL as a whole.

On a return trip to Easton, NDSU would not do as well financially. Attendance would only be about half of what you are anticipating in Fargo. It still would be great to have you, though.

We have our own Bison in the PL - at Bucknell. We call them many different things. Carney2 usually sticks to "Buffalo" or some pejorative derivation thereof. Is it pronounced differently in Fargo?

100k isn't a "money game" by any means, but it covers the travel expenses.

Twentysix
August 11th, 2010, 10:09 PM
100k isn't a "money game" by any means, but it covers the travel expenses.

What is lafayette's average take at a home game? I assumed 100k+ was a decent payout for FCS v FCS. Aslong as my math isnt complete failz we are at 8665 season ticket holders at 125 a ticket = 1,083,125 divided by 6 home games $180,520 per game off just season tickets(so far). (Not a math major by any means, any serious flaws please point them out.)

I suppose 100k is a little weak.

ngineer
August 11th, 2010, 10:14 PM

Actually, this is a concern. This will mean that we begin 2011 with five straight road games, and will have only four home games all year. I'm pleased to be playing NDSU, but you'd think we could have arranged for a home game to balance things out. 2011 will be a very tough year for the Leo

Lafayette College 2011

September

3 at North Dakota State
10 at Georgetown
17 at Penn
24 at Stony Brook
October

1 at Harvard
8 Bye
15 YALE
22 FORDHAM
29 BUCKNELL
November

5 COLGATE
12 at Holy Cross
19 at Lehigh

Holy Crap! FIVE STRAIGHT AWAY games to start a season? This is insane. Must have been a leftover from Eve Atkinson's tenure....

Regardless, I think this is a great game for Lafayette and the PL to get our "brand" seen west of the Mississippi. Couldn't help myself on that. But going up against some opposition that comes from a different region and conference is always interesting and helps test your program to see where you stand. I would hope the Bison make the return trip. Maybe they could stay a whole week and play Lafayette and Lehgh back to back.xsmiley_wix

FargoBison
August 11th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I'd say the guarantee would be closer to 150k then 100k. At least that is going on what we paid Wagner and CCSU.

Franks Tanks
August 11th, 2010, 10:20 PM
What is lafayette's average take at a home game? I assumed 100k was a decent payout for FCS v FCS. Aslong as my math isnt complete failz we are at 8665 season ticket holders at 125 a ticket = 1,083,125 divided by 6 home games $180,520 per game off just season tickets(so far). (Not a math major by any means, any serious flaws please point them out.)

I suppose 100k is a little weak.

We average about 8k fans and I believe a regular ticket is $13. We dont make a whole lot of money with home games. 100k is a very fair rate, but we are playing the game because it is a challenging opponent and not for the dollars naturally.

Twentysix
August 11th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Yeh like both posts said it was stated at 100k+ meaning more than 100,000 thousand dollars.

sorry that was directed at fargobison not frank.

I understand what your getting at frank, At first i thought you meant your program could profit finacially by staying home, which is sometimes true for teams around here. A large reason NDSU plays 6 home games and only goes to an FBS/BCS payout game and the required conference games. (When possible) $$ speak alot of places.

Its good to hear that your team would rather play for pride than cash!!

I hope NDSU does some good FCS v FCS road games in the future i would love to go to some of the stadiums around the nation (but not all of them).

Lehigh Football Nation
August 11th, 2010, 10:25 PM

Where have I heard this before? xlolx xlolx

Pard94
August 12th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Where have I heard this before? xlolx xlolx

Oh my god...i am i looking at a potential instance where I am going to link arms with LFN???

Check this out my bi zen friends...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rivalry_(Lehigh-Lafayette)

Pard94
August 12th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Or if you prefer check out the PBS special done on The Rivalry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsHRdIX038w

Or if your looking for a good book to curl up with i recommend the coffee table book written on the subject...

http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Lehigh-Lafayette-College-footballs-most-played/dp/0964034115

carney2
August 12th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I hate to ruin yet another day for Bogie, but has anyone noticed that

Mpls has not had any input to this thread that I can recall,

and

87 has been almost civil - and living in the 21st century - throughout.

Pard94
August 12th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I hate to ruin yet another day for Bogie, but has anyone noticed that

Mpls has not had any input to this thread that I can recall,

and

87 has been almost civil - and living in the 21st century - throughout.

I'm on the lookout for the seas turning to blood and swarms of locust.

carney2
August 12th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Oh my god...i am i looking at a potential instance where I am going to link arms with LFN???

Check this out my bi zen friends...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rivalry_(Lehigh-Lafayette)

Yes, "The Rivalry" is LFN's doing. It shall forever be a black mark on his Buzzard soul. I am ashamed - ashamed I tell you - to be associated with anything so trite/banal/insipid as "The Rivalry." What more can one expect however, from a graduate (we presume) of the South Mountain Chicken Coop. In my day "The Rivalry" was me and my sister jousting for supremacy in parent baiting. C'mon!! I declare now and forever a personal ban on the use of the term other than instances of holding it out for public ridicule.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Yes, "The Rivalry" is LFN's doing. It shall forever be a black mark on his Buzzard soul. I am ashamed - ashamed I tell you - to be associated with anything so trite/banal/insipid as "The Rivalry." What more can one expect however, from a graduate (we presume) of the South Mountain Chicken Coop. In my day "The Rivalry" was me and my sister jousting for supremacy in parent baiting. C'mon!! I declare now and forever a personal ban on the use of the term other than instances of holding it out for public ridicule.

I am, obviously, opposed to this challenge to "The Rivalry".

For the record, I took the idea of "The Rivalry" to the boards before christening the term. It was actually a fallback option created by me - but, not unlike some other Patriot League President-esque discussions on the matter, none of the PL fans here were able to come up with any sort of decent alternative. And "The Rivalry" does really accurately say what it's really about: the Rivalry. It's not about anything rational. It's just "the Rivalry" to end all Rivalries. Though it was a fallback option, it was no doubt the correct one.

I will also say, for the record:

* "The Game" is used by Harvard/Yale. They have it, for right or wrong. Don't go back to that. Not only does it make it look like we're copycats (even though we're not), it puts us even more in the shadow of the Ivy League than before. No.

* "Battle of Route 22" makes it sound like any run-of-the-mill rivalry. No.

* Keep religion out of it. Yes, there are some religious overtones to the founding of Lehigh and Lafayette, but those overtones have long ago been consigned to history. Kids don't go to Lehigh and Lafayette because of religion.

* The "Battle for the Leather Helmet" or the "Battle for the Cannon" is a nice idea for a trophy, but let's get real: "The Rivalry" is not about a trophy, even if one is found or christened as such. The point of the rivalry is not a trophy.

Pard94
August 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
SOmething else you will learn about us Bizen...we tend to hijack threads. Considered this one hijacked!

MplsBison
August 12th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Let it be so.

Then the wager shall be:

If NDSU wins - the AI shall be forever abolished from the Patriot League in any sport (note that not a single PL school would see any kind of decrease in academic performance of any incoming class afterward, as each school is entirely in control of its own admissions)

If Layfaette wins - the same AI that the PL uses shall be established in the MVFC

Take it or leave it

Bogus Megapardus
August 12th, 2010, 12:57 PM
That's it. I'm gone.

I encourage all Patriot League posters to find a new forum. I will not put up with MplsBison for a year. I'm out of here. The rest of you can deal with him. What could have been a friendly, year-long, entertaining joust between two schools that have never before met will turn real ugly, real fast if this guy keeps chiming in with his nonsense. It's really too bad because Fargo and NDSU seem like great places and I was looking forward to it.

I have no authority around here and I don't know how to get rid of him or push a button to ignore him. I'm hoping he'll just go away. AGS might want to consider which is more valuable to this forum - the input of a good number of PL posters who add to its content, or MplsBison. Maybe put up a poll on the issue. Because I am certain he's going to drive everyone off this board.

It would be different if he actually had a point of view, no matter how disagreeable others might find it. But he does not. He is driven by some pathological, idiosyncratic impulse that rocks haplessly like an inmate in a straitjacket. You can't fix it, cure it, or turn it off.

carney2
August 12th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Let it be so.

Then the wager shall be:

If NDSU wins - the AI shall be forever abolished from the Patriot League in any sport (note that not a single PL school would see any kind of decrease in academic performance of any incoming class afterward, as each school is entirely in control of its own admissions)

If Layfaette wins - the same AI that the PL uses shall be established in the MVFC

Take it or leave it

He's baaaaaaaaaa...aaack.

Franks Tanks
August 12th, 2010, 01:04 PM
That's it. I'm gone.

I encourage all Patriot League posters to find a new forum. I will not put up with MplsBison for a year. I'm out of here. The rest of you can deal with him. What could have been a friendly, year-long, entertaining joust between two schools that have never before met will turn real ugly, real fast if this guy keeps chiming in with his nonsense. It's really too bad because Fargo and NDSU seem like great places and I was looking forward to it.

I have no authority around here and I don't know how to get rid of him or push a button to ignore him. I'm hoping he'll just go away.

He doesnt post at championshipsubdivison.com. The football talk there is quite light, but again he doesnt doesnt post there!

carney2
August 12th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I am, obviously, opposed to this challenge to "The Rivalry".

For the record, I took the idea of "The Rivalry" to the boards before christening the term. It was actually a fallback option created by me - but, not unlike some other Patriot League President-esque discussions on the matter, none of the PL fans here were able to come up with any sort of decent alternative. And "The Rivalry" does really accurately say what it's really about: the Rivalry. It's not about anything rational. It's just "the Rivalry" to end all Rivalries. Though it was a fallback option, it was no doubt the correct one.

I will also say, for the record:

* "The Game" is used by Harvard/Yale. They have it, for right or wrong. Don't go back to that. Not only does it make it look like we're copycats (even though we're not), it puts us even more in the shadow of the Ivy League than before. No.

* "Battle of Route 22" makes it sound like any run-of-the-mill rivalry. No.

* Keep religion out of it. Yes, there are some religious overtones to the founding of Lehigh and Lafayette, but those overtones have long ago been consigned to history. Kids don't go to Lehigh and Lafayette because of religion.

* The "Battle for the Leather Helmet" or the "Battle for the Cannon" is a nice idea for a trophy, but let's get real: "The Rivalry" is not about a trophy, even if one is found or christened as such. The point of the rivalry is not a trophy.

With the exception if the hi-lited section, all that you say is true - or as close as Squawks and Pards get to the truth.

Having said that, I reiterate "The Rivalry" sux.

LFN has torn off his feathered gauntlet and issued the challenge. Come on Pards and Buzzards, we can do better than this. We ARE better than this. Stare at your diploma. Tell yourself that you woulda, coulda, shoulda been a graduate of an Ivy League institution if they hadn't rejected your application. Put on your freshman beanies (do they do that anymore?) and throw some suggestions into the pot. The winning suggestion will be hailed throughout Pardland and Squawkville. The losing suggestions will be boiled, along with LFN and his "The Rivalary," in said pot.

MplsBison
August 12th, 2010, 02:27 PM
That's it. I'm gone.

I have no authority around here and I don't know how to get rid of him or push a button to ignore him. I'm hoping he'll just go away. AGS might want to consider which is more valuable to this forum - the input of a good number of PL posters who add to its content, or MplsBison. Maybe put up a poll on the issue. Because I am certain he's going to drive everyone off this board.

It would be different if he actually had a point of view, no matter how disagreeable others might find it. But he does not. He is driven by some pathological, idiosyncratic impulse that rocks haplessly like an inmate in a straitjacket. You can't fix it, cure it, or turn it off.

I love the fact that any time you tell a PL'er that the AI is a non-value add piece of ideological garbage, they curl up into a little, pouty girl. It really is like a religion to them...

Franks Tanks
August 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Let it be so.

Then the wager shall be:

Take it or leave it

Why dont you call the Patriot League office and make a proposal.

RichH2
August 12th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Geez, if they imposed an AI for Bison' school they would have to go NAIA.

Bogie, dont leave. Never concede the field to a jerk. Just ignore him . If we all can resist jumping to his post he will go away.

Pard94
August 12th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I benefit from a natural "ignore" button in my brain that switches to the on position automatically whenever mplsBison posts. Nothing personal. I just find talk of AI excruciating at best. And since he's fixated on the subject well...his postings are the equivalent of white noise most of the time. Good reading if your having difficulty sleeping though.

Pard94
August 12th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Bogie, dont leave. Never concede the field to a jerk. Just ignore him . If we all can resist jumping to his post he will go away.

You taking a shot at NDSU Rich? What's that about?

MplsBison
August 12th, 2010, 05:16 PM

We may even have to pretend that we're too ethical to grant athletic scholarships (just in football though!). As if there was some moral delimma about giving a football player aid that was not based on need! Oh noes!

Go...gate
August 12th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I am already conjuring a way to show up, but I know it isn't going to happen. There's that word in the marriage contract: "obey."

You mean you didn't have a lawyer do some negotiation on that? May at least a couple of conditions or contingencies?

ngineer
August 12th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I benefit from a natural "ignore" button in my brain that switches to the on position automatically whenever mplsBison posts. Nothing personal. I just find talk of AI excruciating at best. And since he's fixated on the subject well...his postings are the equivalent of white noise most of the time. Good reading if your having difficulty sleeping though.

I think his fixation on AI is really psychological disclosure of his passionate infatuation with Allen Iverson.

RichH2
August 13th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Sorry 94, really should not have said that .xsmhx Not a shot at ND just at Bison and his obtuse fixation with PL issue not involving his school. My ignore button is back on nowxnodx

NDB
August 13th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I think his fixation on AI is really psychological disclosure of his passionate infatuation with Allen Iverson.

In the real world, AI == artificial insemination.

Big Al
August 13th, 2010, 10:10 AM

The border.

Gil Dobie
August 13th, 2010, 10:14 AM
The border.

Anywhere outside Iowa

darell1976
August 13th, 2010, 10:47 AM
The border.

Taco Bell. xlolx

JBB
August 13th, 2010, 11:00 AM
This is a great game. There is a lot of complaining by some fans at UND that the money should go to them. They say its not right for NDSU to pay Lafayette. They think the money should stay in North Dakota. On the contrary this game is doing exactly what NDSU wants its FCS affiliation to accomplish. NDSU wants to gain exposure across the country. The money is well spent and already in the bank thanks to the season ticket holders. This game has already generated a lot of cross-country fan interest of the positive variety and will generate revenues for NDSU.

By the looks of this thread the folks at Lafayette are a good natured, humorous and spirited bunch. This game is a great bridge building exercise and gives NDSU far more than a beat down old rivalry that wont bring one new fan or one ounce of exposure to NDSU that it doesnt already get regionally. This game brings new fans from new areas of the country, gets NDSUs name in new papers and gives the BISON a chance to take measure against the PL. Its a great game to schedule and I hope we continue along this path.

darell1976
August 13th, 2010, 11:05 AM
This is a great game. There is a lot of complaining by some fans at UND that the money should go to them. They say its not right for NDSU to pay Lafayette. They think the money should stay in North Dakota. On the contrary this game is doing exactly what NDSU wants its FCS affiliation to accomplish. NDSU wants to gain exposure across the country. The money is well spent and already in the bank thanks to the season ticket holders. This game has already generated a lot of cross-country fan interest of the positive variety and will generate revenues for NDSU.

By the looks of this thread the folks at Lafayette are a good natured, humorous and spirited bunch. This game is a great bridge building exercise and gives NDSU far more than a beat down old rivalry that wont bring one new fan or one ounce of exposure to NDSU that it doesnt already get regionally. This game brings new fans from new areas of the country, gets NDSUs name in new papers and gives the BISON a chance to take measure against the PL. Its a great game to schedule and I hope we continue along this path.

Please list your sources.

Bogus Megapardus
August 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM
This game brings new fans from new areas of the country, gets NDSUs name in new papers and gives the BISON a chance to take measure against the PL. Its a great game to schedule and I hope we continue along this path.

This game also will be televised live (broadcast/cable/satellite) in the Lehigh Valley, Metropolitan Philadelphia and Northern New Jersey/New York City - an audience of over 30 million people. Lafayette might have been a good choice for NDSU for this reason.

MplsBison
August 13th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Mmmm..no. We're not the Big Ten. We have nothing to sell folks on the east coast, TV content or otherwise.

I don't really see a need to attract east coast folks to North Dakota either. I don't think they fit in well with the Midwestern sensibilities of politeness, etc.

Big Al
August 13th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Anywhere outside Iowa

I went to North Dakota once.

Once.

darell1976
August 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Once.

Where did you go?

RabidRabbit
August 13th, 2010, 03:09 PM

Once.

I spent a week in ND in one day.xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

carney2
August 13th, 2010, 03:14 PM
By the looks of this thread the folks at Lafayette are a good natured, humorous and spirited bunch.

You obviously haven't read any of Pard94's posts.

Gil Dobie
August 13th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I spent a week in ND in one day.xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

I actually saw "NO INDIANS ALLOWED" painted on buildings in South Dakota :(

OrygunBison
August 13th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Mmmm..no. We're not the Big Ten. We have nothing to sell folks on the east coast, TV content or otherwise.

I don't really see a need to attract east coast folks to North Dakota either. I don't think they fit in well with the Midwestern sensibilities of politeness, etc.

You, my friend, are a moron. That has to be the dumbest, most small-minded thing you have ever posted. ...and that's saying a lot.

Ugh, just ugh.

Gil Dobie
August 13th, 2010, 05:43 PM

Once.

When I lived in Nebraska, IOWA stood for Idiots Out Wandering Around ;)

darell1976
August 13th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I actually saw "NO INDIANS ALLOWED" painted on buildings in South Dakota :(

Thats because the Sioux crushed them every Saturday. xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
August 13th, 2010, 07:14 PM
NDSU Bison fans - not that you'll ever be driving to Easton or anything, but just to show we're not all that haughty, Lafayette just published its new parking/tailgating policies (http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081310aab.html), which aren't too bad for a northeastern school. It's not McNeese or anything, but I've seen much worse - drinking starts at 8:00 AM for afternoon games.

JBB
August 13th, 2010, 08:01 PM
couple things I really like:

1) printing tickets on home computer
2) $60 season tailgate/parking tickets

Those are good rules. It looks like they think 6 hrs of drinking is about right for football game?

Ivytalk
August 13th, 2010, 08:57 PM
More parking on game day in Fargo than in Easton, I reckon!

TheBisonator
August 13th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Go to Google Maps and zoom in satellite view to the Fargodome. Yes, we have tons of parking.

The lot on the left side of the Dome is where all the fun is.

Husky Alum
August 13th, 2010, 09:31 PM
You were an awesome guy to drink with, Husky Alum.

You guys threw one hell of a tailgate. One of the best I've ever been to. Those ribs you guys made - melt in your mouth.

I'm not sure how much I drank, but when I walked into the Fargodome one of the NU players' parents said to me "good to see you tailgate as hard on the road as you do at home".

Ironically tonight my wife and I are both wearing the NDSU T-shirts I got in Fargo.

Bogus Megapardus
August 13th, 2010, 10:36 PM

Considerably more in Fargo. Regulars know where to park even when there's a full house at Fisher Field, though. For an average game (8-9,000) it's really not all that bad.

Go to Google Maps and zoom in satellite view to the Fargodome. Yes, we have tons of parking.

Google Maps doesn't even have the "new" Fisher Field. What you see there is the 1926 version. Use "Bing Maps" for the current view of the Nicest Little Stadium in the East (http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#5003/s=w&p=c/5872/style=auto&lat=qsh11k&lon=8qz5zn&alt=54.34948&z=18&h=90&pid=5874).

Pard94
August 14th, 2010, 04:42 AM
You obviously haven't read any of Pard94's posts.

I'm good natured...

WestCoastAggie
August 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Yeh like both posts said it was stated at 100k+ meaning more than 100,000 thousand dollars.

sorry that was directed at fargobison not frank.

I understand what your getting at frank, At first i thought you meant your program could profit finacially by staying home, which is sometimes true for teams around here. A large reason NDSU plays 6 home games and only goes to an FBS/BCS payout game and the required conference games. (When possible) $$ speak alot of places.

Its good to hear that your team would rather play for pride than cash!!

I hope NDSU does some good FCS v FCS road games in the future i would love to go to some of the stadiums around the nation (but not all of them).

Will NDSU pay the expenses of the 'Pards as well as giving them 100K?

I also wonder how much NDSU is paying Morgan State this year?

Bogus Megapardus
August 15th, 2010, 09:37 AM

I think the payout covers a charter flight, hotel, meals, a guided Indian tour and tips at the Northern Gentlemen's Club of Fargo.

WestCoastAggie
August 15th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I think the payout covers a charter flight, hotel, meals, a guided Indian tour and tips at the Northern Gentlemen's Club of Fargo.

Cool!

I heard that Northern's is one heck of a place.

I also find it cool that NDSU is branching out scheduling & playing these unique match-ups. With Morgan State heading to Fargo this fall and the 'Pards and possible the Catamounts (supposedly), The Bison are going to expose their team and university to a broader audience.

NDB
August 15th, 2010, 11:23 AM
as a fan, I like it too.

what stinks is that there are only so many games. I would love to play davis or poly every year as well.

carney2
August 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I'm good natured...

I see that you too got censored. All of this meddling could damage a beautiful friendship.

MplsBison
August 15th, 2010, 12:23 PM

I think that 100k is the total payment to Lafayette. In other words, if the cost of charter flight, hotels, food and busses is 75k (which is probably not too far off) then they will make 25k on the game.

carney2
August 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I think that 100k is the total payment to Lafayette. In other words, if the cost of charter flight, hotels, food and busses is 75k (which is probably not too far off) then they will make 25k on the game.

$75,000 sounds more than a little high for the cost of this junket, but you've got the concept surrounded: pay your own expnses and what's left over is yours. For Lafayette this is as close as we're going to get to a "money game" without scholarships and a revival of the Middle Three with Rutgers. Perhaps President Weiss and AD McCutcheon can meet at the bank to deposit the NDSU check and talk about the real cost of football scholarships.

August 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Bogus...after reading the parking/tailgate regs, it appears that only season pass holders can park in or on the parking garage site, so where does a visiting GU fan go to park for a 6PM game?

Bogus Megapardus
August 15th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Bogus...after reading the parking/tailgate regs, it appears that only season pass holders can park in or on the parking garage site, so where does a visiting GU fan go to park for a 6PM game?

It's nearly impossible to get on the Markle Deck past 9:00 AM anyhow, and probably impossible after 3:00 PM for a night game. There is a second garage on campus (the Sullivan Garage), assorted small lots here and there, plus the lovely oak-lined streets of College Hill, where a lot of folks (including me) park. Look at a Google or Bing aerial map of College Hill, east of campus (Bing Maps work better). Not too many cars parked, right? That's because College Hill was purposely designed to absorb Lafayette football traffic. Park on Pierce, Monroe or Parsons Streets, east of Fisher Field. You will find a space within 4-5 blocks of campus (probably less). Crime and car safety have never been an issue on College Hill. Best bet for a night game? Stay at the Lafayette Inn (http://www.lafayetteinn.com/) (a beautiful former fraternity house) with free on-site parking one block from the field. It's on Monroe Street, between McCartney and Cattell Streets. Might be a two-night minimum on football weekends, though. Highly recommended. Or if you want the "downtown" experience, try here (http://www.grandeastoniansuiteshotel.com/).

Any other questions, PM me. I'll be glad to help. Please enjoy the game and our beautiful stadium, of which we are quite proud. Maybe even come a little early and take a quick walk around campus.

Franks Tanks
August 15th, 2010, 03:54 PM
What Bogus said.

I like to typically park in the March Field lot. It is very close to the field and a nice place for a bit of tailgaiting.

MplsBison
August 15th, 2010, 04:09 PM
$75,000 sounds more than a little high for the cost of this junket, but you've got the concept surrounded: pay your own expnses and what's left over is yours. For Lafayette this is as close as we're going to get to a "money game" without scholarships and a revival of the Middle Three with Rutgers. Perhaps President Weiss and AD McCutcheon can meet at the bank to deposit the NDSU check and talk about the real cost of football scholarships.

You might be surprised how much Delta charges for a charter flight. Assuming you get an A320 or similar sized, flying out of Allentown directly to Fargo I would think cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $50k. Then hotel for Friday night, food for Fri and Sat and buses from LC to the airport, Fargo airport to the hotel, hotel to Dome, Dome back to Fargo airport and Allentown airport to LC...I could see that being ~$20k.

I could be way off too...but would love to know how much it actually is!

Bogus Megapardus
August 15th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I'm thinking we should up the charges a bit. Foie Gras and Veuve Clicquot, plus the skill positions each travel with a personal manicurist. Charter costs have exploded recently. Then again, the PL could purchase a gently-used MD-80 for about a million, if they think we're going to do more of this sort of thing.

ngineer
August 15th, 2010, 04:32 PM
You might be surprised how much Delta charges for a charter flight. Assuming you get an A320 or similar sized, flying out of Allentown directly to Fargo I would think cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $50k. Then hotel for Friday night, food for Fri and Sat and buses from LC to the airport, Fargo airport to the hotel, hotel to Dome, Dome back to Fargo airport and Allentown airport to LC...I could see that being ~$20k.

I could be way off too...but would love to know how much it actually is!

I think the $75K figure is pretty close. Lehigh is charging $600 per person on the charter to Des Moines, which pretty much just covers cost of round trip charter flight, food on plane both ways, one night hotel, ground transport in Des Moines (airport, hotel, stadium, airport) and game ticket. I figure the plan carries about 120 x $600= $72,000. Fargo is a little more 'far out', but other expenses may be a little cheaper, so that would be the ballpark figure.

Twentysix
August 15th, 2010, 08:22 PM
If costs are 70-75k i bet Lafayette comes out with about 50-75k profit from the endevour. NDSU makes 150-225k (before there own bills) after paying you 150.

Assuming 18500 attendance NDSU makes about 300k off tickets alone(not counting student fees, im considering the 4000 student tickets as free), then you can figure concessions, merchandise, parking and tailgating passes*1/6.

Good haul imo. The Schools sports twitter said the AD said it was a gurantee north of 100k.

ngineer
August 15th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Really?? OK...I was working under the assumption that if it was safe enough for an Archie comic circa 1956 it would be OK here on AGS circa 2010. But hey...you're the guy in the striped shirt. You set the rules and I will play by them. Do me a favor though...please take a vacation for a few days around mid-Nov when Lafayette gears up to play Lehigh for the 146th time.

Incidentally..Carney and I are actually friends...ok "friends" might be a strong word but we we're on the same side.

Fixed it for ya....

August 16th, 2010, 12:43 PM
It's nearly impossible to get on the Markle Deck past 9:00 AM anyhow, and probably impossible after 3:00 PM for a night game. There is a second garage on campus (the Sullivan Garage), assorted small lots here and there, plus the lovely oak-lined streets of College Hill, where a lot of folks (including me) park. Look at a Google or Bing aerial map of College Hill, east of campus (Bing Maps work better). Not too many cars parked, right? That's because College Hill was purposely designed to absorb Lafayette football traffic. Park on Pierce, Monroe or Parsons Streets, east of Fisher Field. You will find a space within 4-5 blocks of campus (probably less). Crime and car safety have never been an issue on College Hill. Best bet for a night game? Stay at the Lafayette Inn (http://www.lafayetteinn.com/) (a beautiful former fraternity house) with free on-site parking one block from the field. It's on Monroe Street, between McCartney and Cattell Streets. Might be a two-night minimum on football weekends, though. Highly recommended. Or if you want the "downtown" experience, try here (http://www.grandeastoniansuiteshotel.com/).

Any other questions, PM me. I'll be glad to help. Please enjoy the game and our beautiful stadium, of which we are quite proud. Maybe even come a little early and take a quick walk around campus.

Great info..many thanks for your help!

Pard94
August 16th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I'm thinking we should up the charges a bit. Foie Gras and Veuve Clicquot, plus the skill positions each travel with a personal manicurist. Charter costs have exploded recently. Then again, the PL could purchase a gently-used MD-80 for about a million, if they think we're going to do more of this sort of thing.

Had some Veuve Clicquot this weekend. It was a good weekend.

Bogus Megapardus
August 16th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Had some Veuve Clicquot this weekend. It was a good weekend.

xnonox References to alcohol, tobacco or firearms now violate the Terms of Service, Pard. Shame on you. xrulesx

And your mention of having a "good weekend" could be interpreted by some as a reference to the unspeakable.

Pards Rule
September 19th, 2010, 09:51 PM

My post was along the lines of "I cant believe this game is a reality so someone must be pulling my leg." NDSU has a tremendous FB program, despite the recent struggles, and I am pleased we are stepping up and playing this game.

Wow! cannot believe it...The only time we were supposed to play west of the Mississippi was on New Years Day 1949 in the Sun Bowl against Texas-El Paso but team voted not to go because Texas law prohibited African-American players from playing and Lafayette had one player that it applied to, David Showell. This is great though and I know a high school classmate that lives in Fargo!! I want to visit ND.

Twentysix
September 20th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Wow! cannot believe it...The only time we were supposed to play west of the Mississippi was on New Years Day 1949 in the Sun Bowl against Texas-El Paso but team voted not to go because Texas law prohibited African-American players from playing and Lafayette had one player that it applied to, David Showell. This is great though and I know a high school classmate that lives in Fargo!! I want to visit ND.

Too bad the game isnt around bowl season. You could come and see first hand why we trade blows with international falls for the coldest city in america. :)

Please keep winter away I dont wanna deal with -40 again.

http://www.aneki.com/coldest_cities_america.html

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/top25s/coldest.html

I am sure where your at gets pretty cold in the winter too.

On a positive note, its still like 45 at night, so we have about 80 degrees to go until its so cold your face burns off in seconds.

Pards Rule
September 21st, 2010, 09:11 PM

I dont think we come close!! The wind is the deciding factor. Nonetheless, it should be excellent come that Labor Day weekend. A great decision by both schools and a truly historic game for the Pards - first west of Mississipi!

Gil Dobie
September 21st, 2010, 10:14 PM
I dont think we come close!! The wind is the deciding factor. Nonetheless, it should be excellent come that Labor Day weekend. A great decision by both schools and a truly historic game for the Pards - first west of Mississipi!

Within 100 miles of the source of the Mississippi at that. :)

Pards Rule
September 22nd, 2010, 04:50 AM
Will John Hoeven be at the game? He still should be on the August recess from his soon to be Senate position. A significant change of pace for him from Bismarck!

gjw007
September 22nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
Within 100 miles of the source of the Mississippi at that. :)

Maybe thery'll take a side trip to Lake Itasca. It certainly is within a reasonable drive and being at the headwaters of the Mississippi is something very people out here in the east can say. I've have to visit it again when I go home.