PDA

View Full Version : ODU football could take a big step today

henfan
January 13th, 2006, 09:40 AM
A land deal between Old Dominion and the City of Norfolk would help the Monarchs' plan to field a football team for the 2009 season.

BY DAVE JOHNSON

January 13, 2006

An Old Dominion University Board of Visitors meeting this morning will include discussion on the school's goal of fielding a football team in 2009 and is expected to feature an announcement regarding a major hurdle in starting the program - acquiring enough land for added facilities.

Neither ODU athletic director Jim Jarrett nor Debbie Byrne, the senior associate AD, would comment Thursday. But in an e-mail to media members, Jennifer Mullen, the university's director of media relations, said "I expect that there will be some sort of announcement of a land agreement with the City of Norfolk in regards to athletic facility expansion."

More at:
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-54418sy0jan13,0,4703290.story?coll=dp-sports-bothead

TexasTerror
January 13th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Keep us updated...

"Board of Visitors"...that's funny!

Tod
January 13th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Is it a foregone conclusion that ODU would be I-AA? I guess they'd have to be, wouldn't they?

JMU2004
January 13th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Is it a foregone conclusion that ODU would be I-AA? I guess they'd have to be, wouldn't they?

well, if you listen to ODU fans, they will dominate the CAA within 3 years and be I-A within 7....

No one bothered to tell them that they are a 4th tier commuter school with a tiny athletic budget.......but hey, who knows.

Can JMU please link up sith GSU, ASU, W&M, UD, and Furman and FORM A NEW big time atlantic conference, b/c the CAA is just gettin watered down :bang: :bang: xazzx xazzx

00bluehen
January 14th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I think wherever Delaware goes in the future, Towson follows. Just my opinion. We're too close to not be linked.

th0m
January 14th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Are you serious?

Granite
January 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM
well, if you listen to ODU fans, they will dominate the CAA within 3 years and be I-A within 7....

Its actually quite amusing to see the delusions of grandeur by some of the ODU fans over on CAAzone. Its one thing to be excited about the possibilities of playing football fairly soon, but to read some of them run down I-AA, its hard to get real excited about the Monarchs.

henfan
January 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't give too much creedence to what a few unlearned folks on a fans' message board have to say about I-AA, especially at CAA Zone. There's a contingent over there that just has no idea what I-AA football is. What do you expect; it's primarily a message board dominated by basketball fans. They'll learn soon enough.

With the recruiting base they have in the Hampton-Norfolk area, ODU will be a terrific addition to the CAA Football League. It is going to take them at least 5 years to be competitive, however.

Granite
January 14th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't give too much creedence to what a few unlearned folks on a fans' message board have to say about I-AA, especially at CAA Zone. There's a contingent over there that just has no idea what I-AA football is. What do you expect; it's primarily a message board dominated by basketball fans. They'll learn soon enough.

With the recruiting base they have in the Hampton-Norfolk area, ODU will be a terrific addition to the CAA Football League. It is going to take them at least 5 years to be competitive, however.

Fair enough. Its always good to see additions to the I-AA family, and I agree, ODU does have some potential built-in recruiting advantages in their backyard.

I admit, I haven't been active (posting-wise) over on CAAzone yet, mostly because I can't seem to wade through the noise over there. But it looks like the knowledgeable I-AA posters will need to start doing some education to bring the Monarchs into the fold! :)

rokamortis
January 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Land deal? Check; Now ODU needs $$$ (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-54727sy0jan14,0,6997054.story?coll=dp-sports-local)

ODU athletic director Jim Jarrett, who was not at Friday's BOV meeting, called the announcement encouraging.

"I think the agreement with the city on the land is one of the biggest challenges we had, so that's a very positive step in finalizing our football efforts," Jarrett said. "I truly don't know the exact details, but every indication I have is that they're moving in that direction."

When the Board approved plans in June to add football in '09, it included three provisions: A consulting firm must conclude there is enough fan and financial support; adequate land must be acquired for added facilities; and $8 million must be raised by June of 2006. Last month, the Board was satisfied there was sufficient interest within the community.

"This is number two," Runte said Friday. "Now, we've just got to get some money."

blukeys
January 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM

You have to admit HF how amusing it is for fans (and the very same posters!! :mad: ) who for the last 2 years have denigrated the NC's won by Delaware and JMU as small potatoes are now all excited about "dominating" the very same sport they claimed nobody payed any attention to!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Of course ODU has a nationally ranked sailing team everyone in the nation envies!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GMU, VCU, and UNC - Wilm are still dissing any football success. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Perhaps their fans should skip the Super Bowl parties and get the big NBA championship parties revved up. :rolleyes:

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Do they already have quite a bit of $$$ already committed/pledged? Or is this process starting from scratch?

rokamortis
January 14th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Do they already have quite a bit of $$$ already committed/pledged? Or is this process starting from scratch?

From what I've read they don't have any official commitments. A study they commissioned said that they would have to rely on a bunch of small donations instead of a few larger ones. With that said - I have to believe that they have a handful of donors in the wings ready to pay the majority of what is needed. I can't imagine that they would announce this without having a good idea that they could raise the minimum.

mainejeff
January 14th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Yawn. :rolleyes: