PDA

View Full Version : Freshman football players...brace yourselves!

Pard94
August 9th, 2010, 07:12 PM
In a bit of shameless self promotion...here's a link to my maiden blog entry for PennLive (backed by The Express Times in Easton, PA). Obviously the team in focus here is Lafayette but I'm pretty sure the experience crosses all leagues and all teams.

http://blog.lehighvalleylive.com/lafayette-lair/2010/08/an_open_letter_to_lafayette_freshman_football_play ers.html

Fordham
August 9th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Oops! This link appears to be broken.

what up, pard? get that fixed ... want to check it out!

EDIT: tried to fix it for you ...

http://blog.lehighvalleylive.com/lafayette-lair/2010/08/an_open_letter_to_lafayette_freshman_football_play ers.html

Pard94
August 9th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Try it now. Thanks!

Fordham
August 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Great stuff. Loved this line:

The first three weeks is “hand on stove” slow followed by four years of “pretty girl” fast.

Great overall. My only knock - not enough Fordham content. ;)xpeacex

Well done!

ngineer
August 9th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Nice article. You really brought out some memories. Well done.

Pard94
August 10th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Nice article. You really brought out some memories. Well done.

Thanks Fordham and Ngineer. Appreciate the kind words.

Bogus Megapardus
August 10th, 2010, 06:01 AM
xbowxxbowxxbowx

Uncle Buck
August 10th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Very good article, definitely made me remember my first day at Hofstra.

401ks
August 10th, 2010, 11:20 AM
xsmileyclapx

Excellent.

I "shared" it on Facebook. I'm not even sure if my freshman son will have time to read it for a few weeks. He told me yesterday that he was so tired and sore, he hasn't taken the time to even look at his computer!

xthumbsupx

andy7171
August 10th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Good article. I liked the "The first three weeks is “hand on stove” slow followed by four years of “pretty girl” fast. " line as well.

My freshman year all new players had to do a talent before the evening meetings. If you weren't good enough, everyone would throw their shoes at you. The night before I was to go, one of my class mates got pissed and threw a shoe back at the crowd, hitting a nutso DE. All freshamn were rounded up that night and our heads were shaved. I was relived.

Pard94
August 10th, 2010, 12:33 PM
xsmileyclapx

Excellent.

I "shared" it on Facebook. I'm not even sure if my freshman son will have time to read it for a few weeks. He told me yesterday that he was so tired and sore, he hasn't taken the time to even look at his computer!

xthumbsupx

Yep...that's what I'm talking about. I feel for him.

Pard94
August 10th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Good article. I liked the "The first three weeks is “hand on stove” slow followed by four years of “pretty girl” fast. " line as well.

My freshman year all new players had to do a talent before the evening meetings. If you weren't good enough, everyone would throw their shoes at you. The night before I was to go, one of my class mates got pissed and threw a shoe back at the crowd, hitting a nutso DE. All freshamn were rounded up that night and our heads were shaved. I was relived.

Ha! We actually had "Hat Day" in which you had to wear a hat (which really evolved into full costume) that made fun of a coach or one of the upperclassmen. I know such attemps are designed to lighten the experience but I found it just another form of torture as none of us had the energy to expend on such frivolities. Not to mention none of us were in particularly jokey moods.

Franks Tanks
August 10th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Remember when Russo made all the freshman introduce themselves to the team one by one? That was brutal. The upperclassmen then had the opportunity to completely rip on the new guys. I had to go through it as a freshman, and then didnt get a chance to give it back as Frank came along and did away with the practice for team building or some junk like that.

Frank then had the skit night idea, but got rid of it after 2 or 3 years because everyone would just make fun of Frank and he got sick of it.

FormerPokeCenter
August 10th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Very nicely done! I linked to it on Facebook, also. Growing up in Texas and Louisiana, I was slightly amused at the references to the heat and sunshine in Pennsylvania, but it's all relative, as Einstein would say ;)

Franks Tanks
August 10th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Very nicely done! I linked to it on Facebook, also. Growing up in Texas and Louisiana, I was slightly amused at the references to the heat and sunshine in Pennsylvania, but it's all relative, as Einstein would say ;)

It can get plenty warm up here as well.. it is 94 today. But still nothing like Louisiana or Florida.

FormerPokeCenter
August 10th, 2010, 03:27 PM
It's only 98 right now, with unseasonably mild humidity of 54% ;) The heat index is a mere 114 today. All-in-all, I'd say it's a very tolerable day ;)

Bogus Megapardus
August 10th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Awesome Lafayette-Lehigh image on your Morning Call blog, Pard94.

http://media.lehighvalleylive.com/lafayette-lair/photo/large-laflehfbjpg-521c2040c723cacc_large.jpg

Lest anyone think we don't play the game for real up here.

Pard94
August 10th, 2010, 06:02 PM

Thanks FPC! Yes. TX hot is a whole other level. I couldn't function in that kind of heat let alone try to play football.

Pard94
August 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Awesome Lafayette-Lehigh image on your Morning Call blog, Pard94.

http://media.lehighvalleylive.com/lafayette-lair/photo/large-laflehfbjpg-521c2040c723cacc_large.jpg

Lest anyone think we don't play the game for real up here.

Yeah...then editor told me he searched for a pic where it looked like the Leopards where "cracking some Lehigh jaws". I knew we would get along just fine.:D

colorless raider
August 11th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Thanks FPC! Yes. TX hot is a whole other level. I couldn't function in that kind of heat let alone try to play football.

The Gate heads to Furman for a 2PM game on September 11. I be taking my wide brimmed hat for that one. I hope the kids will be ready for that heat!

carney2
August 11th, 2010, 08:14 AM
First the blogging and now the self promotion. Is there no end to this man's ego? :-)

Pard94
August 11th, 2010, 08:36 AM
First the blogging and now the self promotion. Is there no end to this man's ego? :-)

Like Jerry Rice...I am driven by a crippling fear of failure.